Time Traveller Dinner party - A Proposal

Started by demonlover, July 29, 2010, 08:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

demonlover

This is from one of my interview questions and I think it could be a good roleplay.  Picture it this way - a host and his friends in a lavish near future mansion - and each guest has their own guest they are responsible for - a person plucked out of time who is remarkable or entertaining or over the top in some way.  Everyone from our time is bored and rich, and the dinner party entertainment are the unusual guests.  Spartacus?  The Oracle of Delphi?  A doomed confederate general?  A young Alvin Toffler?  I dont care, so long as its entertaining.

The guests are all multimillionaire thrillseekers - bored and exclusive with access to a secret time travel device.  The time napped players can be drugged if necessary for safety.  Universal translator nanotech purely as a convenience.  No other nanotech or anything outside of our standard tech.

Each guest is responsible for any damage or any unpleasantness caused by the time napped players.  I'm thinking like 3 or 4 guests and 3 or 4 timenapped guests played by either other people- or people other than the guests responsible to them.

Sound fun?  If so we create a character design thread and take volunteers to roleplay the characters from out of time, then start the dinner party.

AbsyntheAngel

I believe this sounds like a great story, if you're still interested in doing it. Sorry, was just poking my head into random threads and thought this sounded quite intriguing.
They say the beast inside of me is gonna get you, get you, get..
+
Absynthe's O/o Compilation

JerichoMyers

I'll play any historical character, just send me some info on him so I can get the character right.

demonlover

Yeah!  I'm still interested in doing it.  I'm just thinking of a silly open ended scenario with over the top characters.  4 or 5 players.  Half the players picks the character from out of time, the other half plays the time napped dinner guests.

A mansion of decadent fogies playing host to Genghis Khan or Caligula's favorite consort or whomever.

:)

AbsyntheAngel

I can just imagine someone like Oda Nobunaga sitting next to a weathy Japanese girly popstar while Ramses the Great and his "captor" are breaking bread across the table. I'm game! So basically, we have the choice of being either one of the wealthy dinner guests or a timenapped guest?
+

demonlover

>>we have the choice of being either one of the wealthy dinner guests or a timenapped guest?

Thats my idea.  The wealthy dinner guest also gets to choose the timenapped guest and is responsible for them. 

And maybe if someone wants to play both a wealthy guest and another timenapped guest that is another persons choice, that might work too.  (Sophia really bonded with Caligula, although everyone else found their hijinks deeply troubling.  Bruno regretted being responsible for Caligula, because it seemed likely that Caligula was going to try some Iron Age shenanigans with the wealthy heiress.)

naryashadow

I'll go as a keeper for anyone who would like to portray the gorgeous James Cagney ;)

JerichoMyers

AbsyntheAngel

^ An actor from the 30s-40s.

I'd like to be a keeper and one of the timenapped victims, if it's alright.
+

JerichoMyers

I can play him, just give me a moment while I read a brief history on him, if you don't mine of course.

naryashadow

Cagney is one of the best actors of his time, he mostly did gangster roles, movies like White Heat: Made it Ma, Top of the World!. Public Enemy, and Angels with Dirty faces. He has also portrayed the staring rolls in Yankee Doodle Dandy, and Man of a Thousand Faces, the story of the Great Lon Chaney. He's really a tremendous actor, and this is coming from a 23yr old, you should check him out.

AbsyntheAngel

I'm starting to wonder the same thing myself... ???
+

JerichoMyers

I have no clue but I want to start this real soon. :)

demonlover

Lets have two or three more proposed figures from history and lets play the game.  Spartacus? Cleopatra?  Nikolai Tesla?  Franklin? Genghis Khan? 

Don't wait on my account.  We should decide who's playing who and start.  :)

JerichoMyers

I'm playing Cagney, thought I still need to see his movies.

pendarious

there still room here? if so i'd like to play a rich guest and be responsible for the time napped Sun Tzu
Psycho Mantis: You must spend every day pretending to act like you're falsely letting on that you aren't not unbetraying someone you don't not purport to allegedly not work for but really do! How do you keep all this shit straight without having an aneurysm?
Revolver Ocelot: *shrug* Practice.
—The Last Days Of FOXHOUND

demonlover

Excellent.  Who shall play Sun Tzu?  How old is he at the time he's kidnapped?  *Good choice!*

"Sun Tzu and Sigmund Freud playing texas hold em.  An enchanting evening for all."

The mansion host shall be named Robert Goldenkranz, a principal investor in the time travel technology, and a Bill Gates clone.  The mansion shall be fully staffed, but the dining quarters shall be intimate and there will be few servants about.  (A heavy security detail will be housed in a discreet distance within the mansion grounds.)

Hopefully we can get one more timenapped character to keep it random.

Naryashadow - Lauren Rose,  who has chosen James Cagney, and is responsible for him.
pendarious - Shamus McKardi, a wealthy historian, who has chosen Sun Tzu and is responsible for him.
JerichoMyers - James Cagney  (young dashing rising star of the Silver Screen)
AbsyntheAngel - ??  (possibly two characters, but she needs to pick a third timenapped character for someone else to play, that third character will be her responsibility)
??  - Sun Tzu (timeless strategic genius, from the golden age of imperial China)

pendarious

my character is the wealthy Shamus McKardi. An investor in time travel technology and historian who's bored out of his wits. if no one else wants to i'll also play Sun Tzu. Who has just finished writing his "The Art Of War"
Psycho Mantis: You must spend every day pretending to act like you're falsely letting on that you aren't not unbetraying someone you don't not purport to allegedly not work for but really do! How do you keep all this shit straight without having an aneurysm?
Revolver Ocelot: *shrug* Practice.
—The Last Days Of FOXHOUND

demonlover

Need two more players for a proper dinner party with proper randomness.  If this thread lies blank for a couple more days, I will bow out of running the game. 

Anyone who wants to play this scenario is welcome to take the idea and run with it.

JerichoMyers

So I watched Yankie Doodle Dandy and some other James Cagney and I'm in love. I have a whole new appreciation for old movies. :) It would be an honor and privilege to play James Cagney

JerichoMyers

His acting and tap dance routines are so inspiring. Whenever I get off work, I watch his and Bob Hopes tap dance routine between each other to get me through the long sleepless night.