News:

Main Menu

Sword of Truth fans

Started by Edynol, January 13, 2011, 05:57:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edynol

I was wondering how many Sword of Truth readers we have here.  I know there is one besides me, but I'm wanting to get an SoT rp going in the near future after I'm approved and wanna see who might be up for one.

Inkidu

Gosh I haven't read that series in forever. It was consistent but not much else. It really seemed like the promising elements of magic and the world (Seriously the Chimes and sonic death bells awesome. Dreamwalker awesome.) took a backseat to Goodkind's anti-communism rants. Kind of ruined a really nice adult fantasy book where adults acted like adults. That and the whole ending was such a deus ex machina it wasn't funny.

Seriously, he never even hinted at the last rule. I get the unspoken nature, but did not engender me with good feelings.

Sorry to jack your thread. Just had to get all sentimental on it. 
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Apple of Eris

I really liked the first couple of books, haven't delved in much past those.

But i do agree there are some hints at preachy elements that are starting to crop up. It's enough that there's been a couple areas where i'm going "Okay, enough, back to the story all ready".
Men are those creatures with two legs and eight hands.  ~Jayne Mansfield
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Inkidu

Quote from: Apple of Eris on January 13, 2011, 09:55:48 PM
I really liked the first couple of books, haven't delved in much past those.

But i do agree there are some hints at preachy elements that are starting to crop up. It's enough that there's been a couple areas where i'm going "Okay, enough, back to the story all ready".
Oh, I forgot the mention the anti-religious stuff too. It sure did get preachy. Plus Richard always came out smelling like roses. He never changed much as a character. You think after all that stuff he went through he'd be more developed. He gained some valuable insight but it hardly changed him on a deep level.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Edynol

Yeah, I try not to put much thought in how books compare to the real world.  I just enjoy the fantasy.  lol.  I mean it's all about tastes.  I prefer characters that don't change much through out the story.  That's why I'm such a fan of chracters like Samwise from LotR, Mat from WoT, Chase and Richard from SoT, and so on.  lol.

jorick

I have to agree with Inkidu.  It had a lot of great elements and the makings of a phenomenal fantasy epic, but it slid rapidly downhill with Goodkind's preaching and the lack of real character development in Richard.

That said, Wizard's First Rule is still a favorite of mine and I'd be interested in seeing how a SoT RP would work out. :)

Inkidu

Quote from: jorick on January 16, 2011, 04:40:43 PM
I have to agree with Inkidu.  It had a lot of great elements and the makings of a phenomenal fantasy epic, but it slid rapidly downhill with Goodkind's preaching and the lack of real character development in Richard.

That said, Wizard's First Rule is still a favorite of mine and I'd be interested in seeing how a SoT RP would work out. :)
Faith of the Fallen was probably the best example of what Goodkind was trying to do in the later books. I think The Stone of Tears was his best early one.

Edynol

Quote from: jorick on January 16, 2011, 04:40:43 PM

Yeah I can understand where you're comming from.  I agree Richard changes little after the first few books, we just have differing opinions on it.  I mean, I like characters growing and changing as much as anyone, but I also like characters that don't change too dramatically from start to finish.  But hey, different npeople like different things.  I think the whole series was great, but I see where you're comming from.  :)

As far as an SoT rp goes, you are more than welcome to join the one I'm puting together when you get approved.  It take place after the series.  I'm keeping it true to the series, but I have made a few changes so it's kinda an alternate reality, but they are small changes.

klamity

This is one of my favourite series, I've read it 3 times already. Not to mention he's apparently coming out with a true sequel to the main series (not like law of Nines)

kylie

I enjoyed a lot of it, but it's been a long time since I've read them. 

And for some reason, I just can't seem to separate them cleanly from Wheel of Time in my memory.  There must be a whole clan of gnomes in my brain that really want to fuse the two together somehow!   :o