Interest check: D&D 4th

Started by Sethala, February 12, 2011, 04:39:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Howling

We have a total of five listed so far in for sure.

Sethala: Defender or Striker
Lady Lunarius: Controller (Yes, I've already decided for her. >_>)
Ershin: Defender or leader
Zamragues: Striker
Changingsaint: Undecided

I'll be comfortable letting up to six members into the group, but I've never ran a game with more players then that. For 4E I prefer the main roles filled, and then afterward we can let in an additional striker and defender of different types for the fifth sixth, these would preferably aid in sub roles. IE paladin for partial leader abilities, etc. With the score of the group, I'll be currently letting in up to two strikers, though again they'd need to be of different types.

As far as the other books go, my main issue is I do not have access to them. I'll look into purchasing the PDF for the PHB3 if it's agreed upon by the masses that they'd like it in. Though I'd only allow select content from the book, as I'm not familiar with it as a whole. Otherwise, I'll look up other select content such as powers from the SRD if possible, and if a majority would prefer it. Now I'll answer the more localized questions.

@Ershin: The origin of your character is up to you. It could be either a native or an adventurer as 4E characters are genuinely somewhat experienced to begin with. Tailor your backstory how you wish, and I'll be happy to work with you on it. Any neighboring region is legit for your birthplace, after all adventurers tend to travel.

In a slight hurry, so forgive me for any grammar errors. If I missed a question, point it out to me. I've almost got the first dungeon completely designed, along with a full diagnostic of the first village.

Sethala

Hm, swordmages are in the FRPG, right?  I might go with that instead of fighter.  Still would like to know about making a hybrid character, though. (For those who don't know, hybrid characters are more like the 3rd/3.5 multiclass characters; you pick two classes and get some of the benefits of each, but most class featurs are weakened somewhat.  For powers, you can pick from any class's powers, but you have to have at least one at-will, encounter, and daily power from each class.)

I'll need to do a bit more research before I post a bio, however, since I'm not actually familiar with Forgotten Realms.  But I'm thinking either elf or eladrin swordmage, potentially hybrid into something else depending on if it's allowed and what else is in the group.  I'd like to go with Aegis of Assault, but that build more or less requires we have some characters that would benefit from enemies provoking opportunity attacks (the idea being I mark something, then run across the battlefield so if it attacks someone else, I teleport in and whack him, and if he comes after me, everyone else gets a hit in.)

Black Howling

It's been a while since I've ran 4E, so I would prefer not to use the hybrid option right now. I've also never read the core rules 3, so I'm not familiar with it in the least. I'll check it out for possible games in the future, if you guys end up liking this one and want to go for another game afterwards. Though it sounds kinda like 3.5 gestalt characters, which I wasn't all that fond of. :\

And yes, Sethala, the Swordmage is in the forgotten realms. I believe that is where it started originally, but the only thing I know for sure is that it's listed in the Forgotten Realms' Players Guide.

On a good note, though, I've gotten everything I need as far as material settled. We're ready to launch the actual OOC and Character Sheet thread just as soon as soon as we've hashed out some 'table' etiquette. I'd prefer to have it done so no feathers are ruffled in game, but if it slows down the thread launch too much I'll simply set down some, and leave it at that.

I'll launch the OOC and Character Sheet threads as people sit down on a rating. Extreme is my preference in case gory descriptions in fight scenes come up, but I'd like to get everyones opinions on it too. I've also made the game around adult and sexual themes, so anyone not in for that should tell me now.

Also, I can take the timeline Epochs from the FR campaign setting and list them down for people if you'd like easy reference to the history, and how things have advanced in the hundred years since the 3.5 Era.

Sethala

Alright, likely Eladrin Swordmage then.  Build will come up when I find out what the rest of the party is.  Bio will likely have my character as a minor noble who's been framed for a crime and is on the run from the law, while also trying to find proof that she's innocent.  Need to do research for place names and such, might do that tonight or tomorrow.  If any of you guys want to build on that and relate yourselves to my character somehow, go ahead and suggest something.

Black Howling

Sounds good sethala, I like it when someone already has a basis on their background. Says good things.

Lady Lunarius

I'm up for the Wizard Howling! I'll work on things as soon as my headache clears
LaLu's updated A/A's Updated
LaLu's Delicious treats!
LaLu's O.O's/Current Interests Updated 3-11-23
I am currently NOT open for a few new RP's

Black Howling

Okay Luna, take your time on it. I know you've been working twelve hour days for the past two, so I'm not expecting anything just real quick. Rest up and think on it for a while.

Revelation

I will probably just play a Human Warlord or Human Barbarian. Depends on if someone else plays a leader or not, seems I always play a leader, so if I could get a chance to play a striker, i'd be all for it ;). For either, I could just use the PHB materials they're in... But with DDI, I could copy/paste any feats or powers/paragon paths I possible take, if that were allowed. It would just be a matter of PM'ing the DM said stuff from the online compendium, but if thats too much hassle, i'd understand. I'd hope to at least use some stuff from adventurers vault for a barbarian, primarily just a superior hammer/axe. And despite being barbarian, he might be... More civilized then expected!

Sethala

Well, Ershin said that she'd play either a leader or a defender, and while I said I'll take the defender role, if she wants to have it as well I think I could turn my character into a bard without messing with the background at all.  So, it looks like defender, leader, and controller are covered for sure.

As for rating, I'm fine with extreme, though I'd prefer if the extremely graphic deaths aren't too common.

Revelation

Black Howling

Zane said he'd like Ranger, but with five party members I'd like two strikers. Plus the Barbarian is extremely awesome. Gotta love the primal classes. >.>

Revelation

I just like 4e Barbarians since you can basically say they're Cucuchalainn from Irish myths... Thats what the rage powers remind me of! Though I could also cook up a Melee focused Warlock, if I had the right stuff for that... But barbarians are fun.

Black Howling

O_O I've gotta get a DDI subscription if they have material like that! Though, being the only one in my group interested in 4E, it wouldn't do me much good.

Revelation

Well I mean, you have rages that effectively allow you to shove enemies aside, and then you have rages that set you ablaze with fire or have lightning crackle around your skin  ;). I suppose for barbarians I like the more Elementally attuned warrior vibe they have in 4e, rather then the HULKSMASH vibe in 3.5. Not that theres anything wrong with the latter!

Black Howling

I like the ruggedness combined with the spiritual attuning they have. It really separates them from the hulking idiots they often turned out to be on 3.5. Not that it's how they were based, just a stereotype some went toward. I also like half-orcs on 4E better too!

Revelation

Though for me... 4e personally made the fighter from something 'meh' to my favorite class. I cannot understate how incredibly /good/ the 4e fighter is. I think its the best class in the game! And yeah, half orcs are fun in 4e.

Sethala

Personally, I really like how they fixed the linear warriors quadratic wizards problem with every class getting both at-will and encounter/daily abilities.  I think that was one of my biggest gripes with 3.5...

Black Howling

I just noticed I ignored Sethala's Rating mention. Gruesome Death's will be kept for dramatic effect when I'm bastardizing the enemies by having them do bastardly things to NPC's. Though with big great axes slinging about, and depending on if someone gets a broadsword, the descriptions unless kept tame could get bad.

Though, Changing, I personally think they well balanced all the classes. For once I actually find liking them all.

@Sethala, yes that was something I liked as well. Given, pathfinder did it some justice too. I like both systems equally. Both big improvements.

Black Howling

I'm gonna be heading to bed here soon. Leave me a PM with any questions you might have regarding characters or the such, any questions at all.

I'll be setting up the OOC and Character Sheet thread come the morning with a more overarching plot theme, the description and map of the village if I can muster the map, and a link to 4E's map forgotten realms along with a pointing out of exactly where Riverlund is in FR. I'll also list a brief history taking straight from the campaign setting of how things progressed for those unfamiliar with it.

Ershin

So much seems to have been posted while I was asleep.

Having thought more of the character's background, I was wondering if I would be allowed to say that she had previously been part of a military force before heeding the town's cry for help on this matter, such as a soldier from Everlund who heard of the troubles when they had called to the city for aid, or possibly one of the town's own guards.
Because of this (and the way interest has been expressed for a defender previously) I was considering playing a Warlord to represent this, or possibly a Valorous Bard (though Cunning seems nicer to me, Valorous would fit the character more, I think).

Hikari

Let me know if you end up needing another player in the future!
The wait is over,
I'm now taking over
You're no longer laughing
I'm not drowning fast enough

-The Strokes, Reptilia

Sethala

@Ershin: I think any background story is fine, as long as you don't try to use it to get extra bonuses (i.e. you still start at level 1 with 100g like the rest of us, your military training doesn't give you anything extra).  Coming up with a reason of why you left the army might be a good idea (were you just a mercenary they decided to not pay any more?  Was your term of service over?  Or were you disgraced and discharged for some reason?)

@Howling: That's fine with me, or maybe something descriptive at the end of a climactic battle (say, killing the final boss of an adventure).

@Hikari: I think Howling said he'd be fine with six players, so there would be an open slot unless he changes his mind.

Hikari

Well, if there is a slot available, is there anything in particular you're interested in having role-wise?
The wait is over,
I'm now taking over
You're no longer laughing
I'm not drowning fast enough

-The Strokes, Reptilia

Sethala

I think we've got so far...

Wizard (Controller, Lady Lunarius)
Swordmage (Defender, myself)
Ranger? (Sriker, ZameRageus)
Barbarian? (Striker, ChangingSaint)
Warlord/Bard? (Leader, Ershin)

So, two strikers, one of everything else.  Unless someone changes their mind, we don't actually need anything, so you should be free to pick whatever.

Lady Lunarius

Hey guys, Howling's power is out it should be back on before 5pm CST or before. He'll be working on the ooc and such after that and answering your questions. ^^
LaLu's updated A/A's Updated
LaLu's Delicious treats!
LaLu's O.O's/Current Interests Updated 3-11-23
I am currently NOT open for a few new RP's