News:

Main Menu

Brain teasers

Started by The Golden Touch, November 10, 2011, 11:05:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indiran

Hi, I want to apologise for the bad spelling, the post was sent before i noticed my mestakes :-)
you ring = you find ....  was the biggest one.

Oniya

This is similar to the one posted earlier.  Let's label the switches A, B, and C.

Flip switch A on for a couple minutes, then flip it off.
Flip switch B on and leave it on.
Leave switch C alone (off).

Enter the room.

If the light is on, it is controlled by switch B.
If the light is off, touch the bulb.
If the bulb is hot/warm, switch A controls the bulb.
If the bulb is cool, switch C controls the bulb.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Indiran

Yes, you got it :-)
This was an easy one, I'll try to find a more challenging one the next time.

Greetings

Indiran

I hope this will be more challenging.  :)

You are standing at a crossroad, you have two options, or you can go left or right.
On the side of the road there is a house where identical twin sisters live. You are told that by the people in the village that, if you ask them a question, one of them will always tell the truth, the other one will always lie.
You need to get home, but you don't know which direction you need to go.
So you knock on the door of the house, one of the sisters is going to open, but you don't know which one it is going to be, the one who will tell you the truth or the one who will lie to you.
You can only ask one question. What question are you going to ask, so you know which direction is the right way to go.

Please let me know if you have a additional question.

TheGlyphstone

Are you only able to ask the sister at the door one question?

Karstien

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Ask one sister what direction the other sister would say was home. Whatever she says the other sister would say, it's the opposite direction.

Indiran

Quote from: Karstien on April 17, 2012, 04:45:03 PM
Ask one sister what direction the other sister would say was home. Whatever she says the other sister would say, it's the opposite direction.
Hi Karstien,
This is correct :), may I ask how you know this answer? :)

TheGlyphstone

I was going to go with "Ask the sister who opens the door which way to go. Then shoot her in the leg with a crossbow and ask her if it hurts. Cross-reference your answers and go the correct way." ;D

Indiran

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on April 17, 2012, 05:05:38 PM
I was going to go with "Ask the sister who opens the door which way to go. Then shoot her in the leg with a crossbow and ask her if it hurts. Cross-reference your answers and go the correct way." ;D
Well, you can only ask one question :)

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Indiran on April 17, 2012, 06:04:55 PM
Well, you can only ask one question :)

Same plan then - ask her which way to go, then shoot her with the crossbow. Wait for the other sister to investigate the noise, ask herif the first sister is hurt.

Saerrael

Quote from: Indiran on April 17, 2012, 04:55:00 PM
Hi Karstien,

I recall that answer from the film 'The Labyrinth.'
Not specifically worded that way, but the idea is the same.

Karstien

Quote from: Indiran on April 17, 2012, 04:55:00 PM
Hi Karstien,

Lol, I have had it before, demons guarding the door to hell. I got it correct then too. ~grins~ I love riddles.

Karstien

Glyphstone, does she look like a city guard to you? Less of the kneecapping innocent housewives.  :P

TheGlyphstone

Just call me Alexander. :D

AndyZ

Wow, awesome thread and I didn't see it until now.

Here's an original one I came up with as a kid.  It doesn't follow the usual riddle rules, but I think it qualifies as a thinker.

You're the manager of a baseball team.  You're offered the chance to hire a pitcher who's under the effects of a magical mixed blessing (magic is otherwise unheard of, but this sure seems to come true).  Roughly one game in ten, the pitcher throws a no-hitter, where none of the team ever manages to hit the ball, assuring a victory for your team.  However, the other nine times out of ten, every player that the pitcher throws the ball for ends up on base.  This likewise guarantees certain defeat.

Do you want this pitcher, and if so, how would you manage the curse?
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Oniya

I'd take him, and manage him this way:

He would be my starting pitcher.  He would pitch one inning.  If the other team scored anything off of him, I'd rotate in my backup pitcher.  If they didn't, I'd let him continue.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Oniya on April 21, 2012, 02:00:40 AM
I'd take him, and manage him this way:

He would be my starting pitcher.  He would pitch one inning.  If the other team scored anything off of him, I'd rotate in my backup pitcher.  If they didn't, I'd let him continue.

The opposing team would just run the bases till they became dust if you leave him in for one inning... Let them go up a point or two and pull him, bases will be loaded but at least it will not look strange if you pull him when the first batter gets on base.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Amy Liz

Here's an easy one.

I went to bed and was able to turn off my bedroom light and get into bed before the room was dark. The light switch and the bed are ten feet apart. How is this possible?

TheGlyphstone

You went to bed during the day.

Amy Liz

Yes :) Another one!

There are four girls, and four apples in a basket. Every girl takes an apple, yet one apple remains in the basket? How is this possible?

AndyZ

I would actually take him out as soon as a single hit was scored, but yeah ^_^  Too easy or just enough thought-provoking to tell again elsewhere?

Quote from: Liz on April 21, 2012, 10:13:00 AM
Yes :) Another one!

There are four girls, and four apples in a basket. Every girl takes an apple, yet one apple remains in the basket? How is this possible?

Only three of them took apples from the basket.  One of them took an apple from the tree, or another girl, or somewhere else.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Amy Liz

AndyZ

One of the four girls owns the basket.  She brought around the four apples to give to her other three friends, and they each took one, but after she took her own, she placed it back into the basket.

Amy Liz

That's better!

Actually, she took the basket with her apple still inside of it ;)

TheGlyphstone

My turn for an old saw.

There is an old stump containing seven ears of corn. A squirrel can remove three ears per day. Assuming nothing else interferes, how long does it take for the squirrel to empty the stump?