News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Networking Help (re WiFi Booster)

Started by MagicalPen, September 02, 2014, 03:05:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagicalPen

Quickie -

My room is in a basement that doesn't get WiFi signal from our router. So we have a cable running to each room in our home from the Wifi router, giving every room a hard connection.

But I want WiFi in my room so i can listen to Pandora and have all my devices connected to the WiFi.

I was looking at a WiFi Booster, but apparently you can't plug them into the network.

Now, there has to be a way I can plug a WiFi booster into the lan-line that connects to my computer (and run a cable from the booster to my PC to keep its land connection) while also creating a WiFi zone in my room?

Or am I retarded and this is not possible short of creating a different wifi network (and I should just get another Wifi router).

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

jaybee55

Quote from: MagicalPen on September 02, 2014, 03:05:56 PM
Quickie -

My room is in a basement that doesn't get WiFi signal from our router. So we have a cable running to each room in our home from the Wifi router, giving every room a hard connection.

But I want WiFi in my room so i can listen to Pandora and have all my devices connected to the WiFi.

I was looking at a WiFi Booster, but apparently you can't plug them into the network.

Now, there has to be a way I can plug a WiFi booster into the lan-line that connects to my computer (and run a cable from the booster to my PC to keep its land connection) while also creating a WiFi zone in my room?

Or am I retarded and this is not possible short of creating a different wifi network (and I should just get another Wifi router).

You might be able to trick a WiFi booster or extender into doing what you describe, but I strongly recommend against it.  I think what you're really describing could best be accomplished by a wireless "access point" (usually just called an "AP").  But rather than buy a standalone AP (neither cheap nor flexible) I recommend getting a cheap wireless router and setting it up as an AP instead.  It's not difficult to do, and it will give you additional wired ethernet ports to play with.  Plus if your main router dies you can use the AP-configured router as a spare.

Here's a YouTube video that explains how to set it up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oenmXhN9sqA
Ons and Offs (incomplete)

MagicalPen

I think I am just going to get another WiFi router and go that route.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games