Steam doesn't wanna work

Started by Serephino, October 30, 2012, 06:15:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Serephino

Okay, yesterday we were trying to get a game to install on my computer from my boyfriend's steam account.  It finished downloading, but when I clicked play, nothing happened.  Thinking maybe something got screwed up by the power going out before it finished, we tried deleting and re downloading it.  That didn't fix it.  The launcher will pop up, and then I click play, the launcher disappears, and nothing happens.

Oreo

That seems odd, though I do know I had to put a Steam Client on both of my computers and I have to sign in and out of each one to play a game. Kind of like AOL, it closes on one PC when you open another PC.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Nadir

Have you looked on the Steam forums? It could be the game itself that's glitched - I had a lot of issues getting one of the Prince Of Persia games to play, I had to do something with the downloaded files to get it to work.

Serephino

He looked, and didn't really find anything.  The game was updated with an ultimate version where you can go online or something.  From what he did find, it looks like they want him to re buy the game for the ultimate version, but that would just piss us off since we already bought it... twice...

Autumn Sativus

Right Click the game in question in your library > Click Properties > Click 'Local Files' tab > Click 'Verify Integrity of Game Cache' button

It should scan the local files for the game for corruption and will re-download if required. If this doesn't work, contact Steam for support.
Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

Serephino

That didn't want to work either.  He's contacted steam and so far, over a week later, no answer.  We'll see if uninstalling and re installing steam itself will work.

Lady Quixote

So instead of just reinstalling steam you can try to delete the local game content and redownload the game so that it reconfigures the visual c++ redist and directx stuff.  I know I've had issues starting a game if I preloaded it and didn't restart my steam client. 

what game, if you don't mine me asking?

Matt

Serephino

We've already tried just the game and that didn't work.  It might be the not restarting Steam thing. 

Nadir

Serephino

Dragon Age Origins and Awakening.  Neither wants to work, at least not on my computer.  My boyfriend installed it on his and it worked fine.

Nadir

If you already downloaded it once, and you managed to play it, you might have to wait 3 months before you download it again. There is a programme Steam uses that keeps people from having a communal account and downloading content excessive.