Just some things I might say--or say differently--if I were a political orator.

Started by Muse, September 03, 2018, 01:16:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muse

Vek's banner recently encouraging Americans to vote in the coming elections got me to thinking about some lines popular in modern US politics that I might switch around. 

First off, the banner addressed to "Fellow Americans" is entirely appropriate--since the topic is USA elections.  (It might be nice if there was a different way that worked in english to say, "citizent of the USA than American--there's a lot of people on these two continents who aren't from the USA!--but the English language doesn't allow for that the way--for example--a spanish speaker could refer to me as (forgive my spelling) Estado Unidence. 

It did get me thinking about a popular speech opening.  "My fellow Americans." 

Okay...  is this overused?  In our shrinking world, can even a US politician address the whole of his audience by saying, "My fellow Americans. 

If I ever get to address the United nations or some similar body, I'd like to begin a speech with, "My fellow inhabitants of this beautiful blue sphere."  It's probably a little awkward to catch on, but I'd love to use it nonetheless. 

Next I'll get a tad bit more edgy. 

"God Bless America." 

Okay, honestly, my fellow inhabitants of this beautiful blue sphere, does this sound to those of you who are not US residents that the speaker exclusively wishes God's blessings for America? 

I'm perfectly happy--as a religious universalist who's most frequently practiced religion happens to be Episcopalian--allowing a public speaker to say "God" and let the words, "By whatever name you know Her" be unsaid but understood.  I don't believe "God bless America" was a particularly fashionable way to end a speech before Bush Junior took office.  It bothered me when he said it, and I thought it would go out of fashion when he left office. 

President Obama ran with it, and it seemed a new and vaguely uncomfortable tradition had been born. 

Early in the 2016 elections, there was a debate between the candidates for the democratic party nominations.  I remember pretty clearly as Star Wars: The Force Awakens was to premier a day or two later.  (I was already there to root for Sanders.  I didn't trust Mrs. Clinton at the time, for reasons that i now think may be suspect.)  I was generally pleased with both of them, as I recall, and at least one other candidate as well.  Mrs. Clinton was given the nights' closing speech. 

As she was biding us good night, Mrs. Clinton fell into a familiar pattern, and I could hear "and God bless America," just a line away. 

"and," Hillary gave us a quarter of a beat and the slightest hint of a smile, "May the Force be with you." 

I was applauding in my living room!  My mother, sister, and sister's fiance were just laughing, but I was utterly amazed.  I felt she'd cunningly and expertly poked 300 holes Bush's nationalism with a harmless joke that would stick in my mind and those of millions like me for the rest of my life.  I thought it was the most brilliant thing I'd ever witnessed a politician do in real time! 

So, may I closet his rant, my fellow earthlings, with the words of Tiny Tim. 

God bless us every one. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)