News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

Playing some Stalker, the first one, and about to try some Pathologic. Getting bored with Crysis. Yeah, yeah, it looks amazing, but the gameplay is getting pretty dull. Also got Infamous 2, and I love it so far, but the new camera is infuriating... gah x.x its not the fact it gets lost sometimes, it just zooms in too far when you use melee and shield. Shield was my favourite power! And they completely scrapped the badass animations it had and turned it into a bullshit over-the-shoulder thing :/ that, and the fighting isn't very polished, so when your camera is so close you can lose a guy 3 steps away, the last thing you need is loose melee control.

Hemingway

Sabby, did you get the high res texture/graphic mod for Stalker? It really improves the game.

Sabby

I got LURK and some other high res packs, but surprise surprise, nothing works that simply! All the mods and stuff require a pretty simple installation made infinitely more complicated by my files being installed in a slightly different manner for absolutely no reason other then to make the Read Me files that comes with mods absolutely no help whatsoever. So, yes, I put some texture mods in to the best of my miniscule ability, but either they don't make a huge impact or they don't work.

If it says "Unzip to Game Files" and I have no Game Files folder, then I figure oh well, will just find where the textures are... yeahhh, they're all over the place in multiple folders. Fuck I hate gaming on a PC.

Oniya

Have you tried creating an empty folder called 'Game Files' and then unzipping it?  I know most installers will create the required folders if they don't already exist, but since it seems that installer isn't - *shrug* - it might be worth a shot.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Sabby

Nah, it wouldn't work, it replaces files, so just putting them anywhere won't do anything. I've looked at a half dozen mods, all of them seem to work with the exact same installation, and mine just happens to differ for no reason. Maybe I'm just tech illiterate and spoilt by console gaming, but sometimes I feel like my computer is actually screwing with me.

Inkidu

Playing Brotherhood, wishing for Skyrim.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

I think the mod I used for Stalker was the Complete Mod. Which, as the name suggests, is quite ... exhaustive. You could try look that up, if you haven't already. I don't normally mod my games, but I can't remember having any difficulty with it.

Edit: L. A. Noire, for all its gameplay flaws, is really growing on me. As it gets more personal, it gets way better.

Edit2: I wouldn't know about the story, and I'm not sure I like the arcade setup, but I can say this much about FEAR3: It's a solid action game. It has cover. It has slow motion. It has fairly intelligent enemies ( they use grenades to flush you out if you're in cover and if you're not being aggressive enough they come for you. I've yet to see them try to flank me, but I've really been too busy killing them to notice ). And even the scripted moments in CoD have a hard time beating the sheer awesomeness of running across a slum street in slow motion, shooting a guy in cover, entering the building at the opposite side of the street, rushing through it to a window to pop the next guy, who thinks you're still somewhere up ahead.

Actually, they definitely do try to flank you in open spaces. This really is a game that punishes you for camping, and encourages you to flank your enemies.

Also, what's worse than zombies? Zombies with weapons? Zombies on fire? Try zombies with explosives strapped to their chests. You will learn to fear the sound of beeps that draw closer and closer.

Inkidu

I've got nothing. The nearest thing is Deus Ex: Human Revolution and I'll probably get it. Heck, it can't be worse than Invisible War, and I thought that one was okay. The rest of this Summer is going to essentially suck like Kirby. I know usually the Summer season is the off time for video game releases as it's not close to any holiday, but we had a few kick-ass Summers for a while now and I'm spoiled.

Guys, if you want you game to sell well get it in before Skyrim, the market will go into hibernation after that...
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

Skyrim is going to flop.

No, no, of course it's not. It'll be a good game. They'll have learned from their mistakes in Oblivion and Fallout, and it'll probably be more unique than Oblivion was. Perhaps not as much so as Morrowind was, but still. Despite this, I can't bring myself to build up that kind of excitement. I'm a little worried. Just a little. I'm worried the game won't surprise me, that the story won't throw you any curveballs, that it'll be the sort of neat, technical game Oblivion was. Oblivion was a great game, don't get me wrong. I've sunk countless hours into that game. But it was all so technical. Equipment arranged into neat tiers, basically the whole game arranged according to a predictable formula. Morrowind wasn't really like that.

Also, I just finished L. A. Noire. What a brilliant game. The first part of the game is good, but a bit disjointed. About a quarter in, it starts getting better. And the final part is fantastic. I could say I wish the whole game had been like that, but I see what they were doing, so I can't really say I blame them. I so hope the game gets a sequel.

Wyrd

I'm thinking ME 3 is going to be the flop. Each time I see new stuff in it, it just keeps looking like a slightly better version of Gears of War. And slightly better on a crap game is not great.
Ragtime Dandies!

Hemingway

The main attraction - for me, anyway - of Mass Effect has always been story, characters and sci-fi concepts. Not gameplay.

Wyrd

I just hope so much that story, characters and the concept are supported by a solid plot this time around... *sigh...* I just hope.
Ragtime Dandies!

Hemingway

Wyrd

Then whats the game worth? shit all without a solid plot. It might as well be Duke Nukem forever, then.
Ragtime Dandies!

Hemingway

Wyrd

Ragtime Dandies!

Sabby

Mass Effect 3's plot, at least how it seems from the trailers, looks like the equivelent of Cthulhu and his minions rising from the sea to fight the military. Can you see how that may be kind of a poor choice? Reapers win. Sorry, but they just win. Even without the Citadel harvest plan, they win. Every time. They have more ships, each of which is more powerful then a fleet of ours, and they have the power to send our dead swarming us in waves and mind broken sleeper agents into every planet to sell out any pockets of survivors they end up floating to.

Why was Shepherd so focused on stopping Saren activating the Relay to Dark Space. Because Reapers. Fricken. Win. You DO NOT fight Reapers. So whats Mass Effect 3 about? Fighting Reapers.

Hurray for retard job oppurtunities in the games industry.

Wyrd

Quote from: Sabby on June 25, 2011, 06:42:44 PM
Mass Effect 3's plot, at least how it seems from the trailers, looks like the equivelent of Cthulhu and his minions rising from the sea to fight the military. Can you see how that may be kind of a poor choice? Reapers win. Sorry, but they just win. Even without the Citadel harvest plan, they win. Every time. They have more ships, each of which is more powerful then a fleet of ours, and they have the power to send our dead swarming us in waves and mind broken sleeper agents into every planet to sell out any pockets of survivors they end up floating to.

Why was Shepherd so focused on stopping Saren activating the Relay to Dark Space. Because Reapers. Fricken. Win. You DO NOT fight Reapers. So whats Mass Effect 3 about? Fighting Reapers.

Hurray for retard job oppurtunities in the games industry.

+1
Ragtime Dandies!

Hemingway

I couldn't tell if you were just baiting me for another meaningless Mass Effect debate. It got us nowhere last time.

Also, the Cthulhu comparison falls flat on its face. If you've read Call of Cthulhu...

Wyrd

Debate? I was just putting up what up coming title I felt was going to flop after you discussed why you thought Elder Scrolls five was going to flop. And the last debate was more of me giving facts of how the plot was flawed and you basically saying, "It's science fiction! Suspend some disbelief, Maaan!"

In other news... I got the game "Outland" from the Xbox live arcade yesterday. It's a really fun platform side scroller. But I can't under stand the story for the life of me. :P I'm gonna have to re play it.     
Ragtime Dandies!

Hemingway

You must have me confused me someone else, I don't normally sound like a bumbling moron. That might explain why we didn't get anywhere last time, and why we won't this time, either.

Wyrd

Sweet! Anyway, here is what I'm playing. It's sorta like a cross between Limbo and Shadow Complex, and if anyone has played either of those games, you'll know thats a good thing. ;)

"Outland" Gameplay Trailer
Ragtime Dandies!

Oniya

Just played through KOLM2.  AARRGGHH!!  *starts pacing for KOLM3*
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Wolfy

Anyone played Divinity 2 that can tell me how it is? Steam has it up for half price at the moment. :p

Tonalberry

I've played some of Divinity 2: Ego Draconis some, yes.  I've gotten pretty far actually, to the point where you're supposed to go and take on the enemies' flying fortresses.  It's a pretty decent game in my opinion, and being able to get it and the expansion, or secondary campaign, or whatever, for $20 sounds like a good deal to me.