News:

Main Menu

Urban Fantasy Novels

Started by Sabby, July 29, 2014, 07:59:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BAMF

Quote from: Kazyth on August 18, 2014, 08:34:34 PM
Simon R Green's "Secret Histories" books are fairly decent, but I've always much preferred his Nightside books.  Gritty but good reads.  Not heavy books, but quite entertaining.

I've not read Secret Histories, but the Nightside series was my first urban fantasy set. And dang, did I enjoy the shit out of them. I only wish I had more money for books or I'd be reading more.
»O/O’s«»Ideas«»A/A's«
Great things are done
by a series of small things
brought together.

»Vincent Van Gogh«

Jarulf

I liked The Rivers of London series by Ben Aaronovitch

Elysian Radiance

Try the clan novels for Vampire the Masquerade. There are 13 in total, by various authors, plus four more.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/41268-vampire-the-masquerade-clan-novels

"We are beings of starlight; we were meant to thrive in the darkness."
"I am a raging sea trapped inside of a raindrop."

<a href=https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=200656.0>Fantastic Dragons and Where to Find Them! (05/30/17)</a>
Get Laid or Get Slayed - A Guide to Make the Dragoness Roar!
Muse/Mood Status ~ I'm currently on hiatus from Elliquiy. Send me a PM if you need to be in contact; I'll get the email about it.
Current Posting Output ~ None.
Buy RPG Dice Soap From Me!

Sabby

Remember guys, this isn't just a request thread. I appreciate all of the suggestions :) but this is also a discussion thread for the genre in general, so feel free to talk amongst yourselves about it.

Sabby

So, reviving this thread because I found something really great I thought you'd all like. I've noticed that a lot of urban fantasy has 'strong female protagonists'. I say that in air quotes because most of the time they're horrible. Just whiny, sanctimonious, headstrong assholes. I've gotten to the point where I just don't pick up new UF books any more if they have a woman on the cover, because most of the time I'm in for brooding, treating friends and allies like crap, and still having them tear their own arm off to come to her rescue (and get chewed out for it)

Then I found World of the Lupi. This is honestly one of the best UF series I've ever read, and the characters are all thinking, logical people, without being emotionally dead sociopaths. It's 11 books long and all of them have been adapted by Graphic Audio, who do the best audiobooks I've ever heard.

How much I gotta shill myself for GA to get you guys to go buy it?