Art question

Started by Oniya, December 05, 2011, 10:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

I am looking for something that I can use to transfer a design drawn on the computer to a piece of wood.  I'm thinking either some sort of 'carbon' paper that I can print on and then trace over (pressure transfer) or light-iron over (heat transfer). 

The end result is going to be used as a guide for wood burning, so I can't simply secure the paper in place and work 'through' it.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Autumn Sativus

I'd suggest carbon paper and a print out as you've mentioned.

Print onto white paper, put it ontop of a carbon piece and draw your design on. ;D Probably your easiest method, unless you have a projector on hand.
Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

Oniya

*nods*  That was one of the fallbacks - I was hoping there was a one-piece solution, but that sounds like it will work (and the original printout can probably be used multiple times.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Kuroneko

You don't even really need the carbon paper.  Just cover the lines of the image on the wrong side of the paper with soft graphite (like a 6 or 9B pencil), flip over and trace the lines with a pen or pencil, and the graphite will be transferred.  There's also artist's carbon paper that is graphite on sheets rather than ink. 
Ons & Offs//Requests//Where is the Black Cat?
Current Posting Time - Once a Week or More

"One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art" ~ Oscar Wilde
"I dream of painting and then I paint my dream" ~ Vincent Van Gogh

Oniya

With the current plans, I'd go through soft graphite way too fast.  I need to be able to have certain things able to be reproduced relatively quickly - outlines and 'stock items'

Nico

I agree. Carbon paper is probably the best method for what you have in mind. :-)

Kuroneko

Quote from: Oniya on December 06, 2011, 02:05:40 AM
With the current plans, I'd go through soft graphite way too fast.  I need to be able to have certain things able to be reproduced relatively quickly - outlines and 'stock items'

I can usually get multiple reproductions out of the graphite method, but you have to choose what works best for you ;).  I donn't care for carbon paper because it's ink, very smeary, and not really eraseable, so it doesn't work for what I'm doing. 
Ons & Offs//Requests//Where is the Black Cat?
Current Posting Time - Once a Week or More

"One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art" ~ Oscar Wilde
"I dream of painting and then I paint my dream" ~ Vincent Van Gogh

Oniya

Yeah - as I said, the lines are going to be used as guides for wood burning, so some amount of smearing shouldn't be a problem.  Erasing won't be an issue regardless.