INTEREST CHECK: Older Naruto Roleplay (CLOSED)

Started by Krayz, April 07, 2012, 12:56:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krayz

See Hyena, it's all about the Law of Conservation of Ninjutsu. The level of strength of any given member has a direct relationship to the number of members on that side. Thus, if the villain side is outnumbered, they will be stronger than their opponents *individually*, but in terms of the factions *as a whole*, they will be equal.

Marie Reynolds

Well i choose people two play one hero and one villain if they desired only to allow for more switching of sides through seduction and what not. but thats just me even though i only plan to play one character cause i don't think i can handle two

Laughing Hyena

I never studied law. ^_^

But seriously I do know that trope.

Elias

I was thinking of creating a hidden sand Jounin. I am not sure of your village layout now so wanted to make sure that was alright.

Krayz

Yep, a Hidden Sand Jounin is just fine. A wider spread of villages is better.

Elias

Name: Arashi Kuma
Village: Hidden village of the sand.
Titles: The Lizard Lord

Description:

Personality: Part of the most supportive groups within the hidden sand, Kuma was known for his even headedness in all actions concerning the alliance with fire and the hidden leaf. He is a creature of the desert and moves at a slow cautious pace, he understands the need to watch and wait, strike only when necessary and know when things are too hot even for those of the sand.

Biography:  Born among a clan of weapons masters, Arashi's clan was known for being subtle and unobtrusive forever serving the masters of the hidden sand, Baki being the most notable of the clan. Trained at a young age Kuma learned discipline quickly and became Chuunin by the age of 15, his skills were admirable and he was good enough where he could stray from his teachings, he learned of the lizard kings from a jounin in the village and with his help (And constant push for more) he made a pact with one such creature, summoning him he begged for training it took months to convince the creature Komodo to aid him. He had to many tasks and go on many quests for the creature but eventually he acknowledged Kuma and taught him the ways of the lizards. Only after the mastering of these abilities did he return to the village to serve full time and did he gain the position of Jounin, since then he has been on multiple missions and is being groomed to replace his elder on the council when that day comes.

Abilities:

Taijutsu- Trained extensively in the use of the double Kama since he was a child he wields them as an extension of himself, he keeps no less than six of these on his person and also wields them to form some of his ninjutsu. He has trained extensively in speed based techniques but lacks in strength. Relying more on his weapons than attacks of the hand and feet.

Genjutsu- He knows how to break (most) Genjutsu using the standard methods and can wield low level genjutsu hundred blades where he mixes his false genjutsu images with his own blades. As well slowing down the senses of opponents, which he mixes with his high level ninjutsu for devastating effect.

Ninjutsu- Kuma specializes in Ninjitsu based abilities  surrounding his close connection to the sand lizards, he can separate and regrow individual limbs instantly in case of assault, as well as extending the length of his tongue making it razor sharp and quick attacking with it and growing it back should it be cut. He can even create a tail which extends and can drop off as he wills it for various attack and defensive abilities. He can summon an incredibly fast moving lizard, as well as a warrior similar in size to Arashi himself. Combined with his wind and earth affinities he has one of the fastest defenses among the Hidden village of the sand. He adores his head hunter jutsu as well as his flesh of the lizard jutsu which turns his touch toxic and provides an armor should he need it.  He can make his blades razor sharp and can wield various other low to high level techniques from his specific affinities. His weathered sands jutsu, taught to him by an elder allows him to wield low level sand techniques as well which he has meshed with his understanding of winds to form attacks that blind and attack at once.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Fuuton: Kami Oroshi (Wind Style: Divine Wind From The Moutain)
Type:Attack
Range:Short-Mid
Chakra Cost:15
Damage Points:30
Description: After gathering Wind chakra, the user will use it to generate a whirling vortex of wind. The vortex moves fast and has the sharpness of the wind element;
it can be directed towards the opponent directy or it can be directed to hit the opponent from behind. However, a strong opponent will see through the sneaking attack.

Fuuton: Juuha Reppou Shou (Wind Style: Beast Wave Violent Wind Strike)
Type:Attack
Range:Short-Mid
Chakra Cost:20
Damage Points:40
Description: A combo of a wind gut shaped like a claw with cutting wind that push and
slice at the same time.

(Fūton: Shinkūha) – Wind Release: Bullet Blades
Type: Offensive
Range: Short – Mid
Chakra cost: 30
Damage points: 60
Description: After performing the necessary hand seals, the user takes a deep breath and spins his body around while exhaling. This releases a wide blade of wind that can slice through multiple targets.

(Fūton: Shinkū Renpa) – Wind Release: Serial Waves
Type: Attack
Range: Short – Mid
Chakra cost: 40
Damage points: 80
Description: After performing a single hand seal the user then inhales and takes a deep breath and exhales several blades of wind as they move their head around. This technique is capable of exposing Susanno’s bones.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
(Doton: Shinju Zanshu no Jutsu) - Earth Style: Double Suicide Decapitation Technique
Type: Supplementary
Range: Short
Chakra Cost: 10
Damage Points: N/A
Description: The user, emerging from the ground below the target area, pulls down the opponent so that only their head is above ground. Unable to move, the opponent can easily be decapitated or tortured.

(Doton: Ganban Kyu) - Earth Style: Bedrock Coffin
Type: Offense
Range: Mid/Long
Chakra Cost: 15
Damage Points: 30
Description: This jutsu allows the user to control multiple sections of rock and move them around their opponent. The user then forms two gigantic sections that crush the opponent.

(Doton: Iwa Nadare) - Earth Style: Stone Avalanche
Type: Attack
Range: Short-Mid
Chakra cost: 15
Damage Points: 30
Descripton: By forming hand seals and running up a cliff face, the user causes stone and rock above him to become dislodged and rain down past him onto his opponents below.

(Doton: Iwagakure no Jutsu) - Earth Style: Hidden in Stones Jutsu
Type: Defence/Supplementary
Range: Long
Chakra Cost: 30
Damage Points: N/A
Description: This technique is similar to the Universal Assimilation Technique. It allows the user to move in and out of rock and earth. This jutsu can be used to avoid certain earth techniques.

Etcetera: He has long befriended the sand lizards of the desert and relies on their skills for the majority of his non combat skills. He relies on his clan for his weapons knowledge.

Krayz

Ok, there are a few issues that need mentioning with this profile.

1) First and foremost, Baki is dead. Gaara is dead. The only canon character still alive is Naruto, and that's because of the extended lifespan possessed by members of the Uzumaki clan. He's a grandfather, and possibly beginning to slip into senility.

2) The series has all-but-explicitly named the locations where one can learn the arts of senjutsu: Mount Myoboku, the Ryuchi Cave, or Shikkotsu Forest (though Shikkotsu Forest is only implied, admittedly). Mount Myoboku belongs to the toads, and the Ryuchi Cave to the snakes. If you want to learn senjutsu, I'd like you to pick one of them to learn it from. I'd also be willing to accept as a stretch that Shikkotsu Forest is the home of the slugs, and that they're also capable of teaching senjutsu (it would make sense). I would personally suggest snakes, as they fit the desert theme a little more.

On a related note, you mention how he attempts to practice sage techniques on his own. While I have no issue with this, if you plan on using this at all in the RP without considerable development, could you describe some of the things you might want to slip in? Even pulling on sage mode for mere moments could allow access to powerful bonuses (massive boosts in physical ability, sensor abilities, etc).

3) Could you elaborate a little more on some of his techniques? You mention "various other low to high level techniques from his specific affinities"; some examples of the high level ones, at least, would be handy. Elaborating on how he has "one of the fastest defences" in his village would be nice too. Once again, its less an issue with the abilities, and more an issue with the ambiguity; being able to simply use whichever wind or earth techniques you want simply because of implication has potential for much asspulling.

Zaer Darkwail

Hmmm, wonder should I roll a char.

Would a kenkei genkai shinobi be accetable? A kenkei genkai which is someway perfect counter against the nemesis of the story but it does not provide protection no one else expect one shinobi? I was thinking a kind of 'crystal release' kenkei genkai but this case shinobi is not able conjure massive amount of crystals or do crystal jutsu. But simply put he can use his chakra channels and openings in his body to form simply protective layer of diamond shell over his body. Or form weapons for taijutsu but not for ranged if not intent 'rip them off' from his own arms and then throw them normally as improvised kunai's.

The drawback is that if he goes full statue form he cannot move as if diamond layer covers him completely he is immobilisized and he needs break free from his own shell (which can be bitch to do consider diamond is one hardest materials in the world and immune to acid and heat and most air pressure techniques). Sound only being closest what could fracture his shell. But then I thinked he has practiced to have monstrous physical strenght to able break free from his own shell as advanced chakra control technique.

But otherwise his diamond body could provide him so called 'perfect defense' like Gaara had with sand; meaning even asleep his kenkei genkai would form diamond layer against ambush attack to protect his body. But as note he cannot turn his internal organs nor blood into diamond (nor muscle) but he can turn bones to diamond hard and so can turn his teeth and nails (anything which has extensive amount carbonite). However besides chakra use the using diamond techniques drain his sugar values down in his body (meaning he can pass out if he does not get sugar soon after he has used techniques or pass out if he does not chew down candy bar in middle of the fight).

Krayz

I've learned to be incredibly wary of someone who makes extensive use of diamonds in their techniques.

However, I need point out that both Gaara and Kimimaro faced each other with techniques, both comparing them to diamonds; in Dance of the Clematis: Flower, Kimimaro states that bone to be as hard as a diamond. Gaara then counters with his Shield of Shukaku, which he claims to be *harder* than diamond, after shattering Kimimaro's flower.

There are also a few issues raised like; can he breath through his own diamonds? There would have to be an opening of some kind in the defence unless your dude could only maintain it for as long as he could keep his lungs full. But I would argue that needing the strength to break free from your shell would be unnecessary; people with techniques like this often have the ability to end them on their own. Thus, I'll not have this technique being an 'excuse' for an extremely powerful technique in its own rights. The technique could be developed separately of course, but when a KG needs high-level jutsu as a prerequisite to use its techniques, there's certain issue to be taken :P

And in regards to the hardening of bones and such, I'd explicitly have to say no because that would be poaching in the grounds of another kekkei genkai (Shikotsumyaku).

If you want to message me about it in private, we can discuss it more there.

Zaer Darkwail

Nah, I do not mind open discussion and opinion from others. Anyways he could perform a full body 'statue' transformation where he leaves zero openings. Literally seal himself to indestructible shell if need be. But bad side he is immobilised so long he holds it and he indeed needs hold out his breath as he gets no air inside the statue he created around himself.

Overall though his technique works well example form a diamond shield over his arm (not big like captain america but decent enough) so he can protect himself from acid or other threads. As even if you would hit from blind spot the diamond formation would reactively block harm. So the ability works without his will at times like Gaara's sands do. Even so far as immobilizes his legs if he is about to charge into a genjutsu trick or a trap somekind which would harm him.

So his technique has will of it's own and could be related to how Gaara's sand was created; a sacrifice of sentient being to bowl of diamond dust which was spoon fed to him since he was a baby and his unique chakra in body started learn harness power of diamond and generate diamonds as part of normal physical activity. But reason why he does not swim in cash is that the diamonds which come off from his body start soon corrode and break and leave just fine cloud of sand. So perhaps he has ancestry towards Gaara who had sand manipulation ability but his case it's about generating diamonds as form of defense. Anyways he could learn to advance his kenkei genkai in ways neither he nor elders had ever imagined and could learn perhaps generate substance harder than diamonds (like Gaara did with his sand).

Anyways besides his kenkei genkai....he is not chuunin nor jounin in rank in his village. He is genin who has never succeed partake in Chuunin exam (like how Naruto is still genin despite he could kick anyone's ass from his classroom in direct serious combat in anime presently example if not count Sansuke). As if you never succeed in Chuunin exam you cannot become jounin. Also that he is not that much liked either as he slacks a lot (he is lazy). But when mission profile was given and told what abilities the hunted shinobi has (a acid kenkei genkai) they decided send their kenkei genkai who has direct counter against his ability (work as meatshield kinda or as bait target as he appears weak and looks genin).

Krayz

I think my only issue with this character is the amount of contriving necessary for his ability to make sense. It's part kekkei genkai, part sealing technique, all to counter one opponent (whose strength is scaled based on the number of heroes compared to the number of villains) who'll get around the damn thing anyways. Gaara's sand manipulation is simply leftover from his time as the Shukaku's host; it's not something that could be passed on. And all of it was based around what was essentially an enormous conglomeration of chakra with an affinity for sand.

I think something about the random sprouting of diamond just strikes me as off. What I'd like you to do is develop this along the lines of the Crystal Release kekkei genkai from the Shippuden filler arcs. Diamond-strength techniques are evenly totally legit at higher ranks. But I want them to be techniques that require conscious use. No reflex defense when even the most basic ones will be diamond-hard. If it's not acceptable, then I'm sorry, but the level of ability you're talking about seems unbalanced overall; this could counter just about ANYTHING, not just Hyoukai's particular abilities, with just a dash of powerplaying.

Zaer Darkwail

Ok, I thinked add so many flaws on kenkei genkai so it would not be OP even if it is meant something simple as 'I can get hit with acid and not get harmed by it'. It does not change the fact the villain can work around foe whose kenkei genkai counters his but my case I cannot do anything offensive about it.

I assumed that crystal release itself is more broken than just having a diamond shell covered body. As you can seal people inside crystals or conjure walls of crystals which can block acid (even if melted they still better option than try dodge it or get hit by acid).

Another variant from this concept is simply a average class genin which has no kenkei genkai nor any other special qualities expect one; he has unsurpassed 'sixth sense'. It's not kenkei genkai nor doujutsu or anything like that. Simply put he simply has very refined 'gut sense' which allows give hints to him how beat foes which have perfect defenses or kenkei genkai's which make them unapproachable. It gives no direct data nor answer questions 'how another guy can beat this guy'.

But this ability helps him example wake up and perform displacement ninjutsu instant just before assassin's blade lands on him before he is even aware what for he is doing displacement jutsu in first place and what is the source of sudden danger. Simply put he is man impossible to surprise at all as his sixth sense both warns and also guides his actions to counter said danger. If he fights or observes fight long time, his instincts can turn to offensive tool as he can get gut feeling how to beat his foe, drive it off or how outrun/outsmart his foe even if he is not sure why it would work.

Example someone with perfect defense kenkei genkai he would get suddenly gut feeling that throwing him with cherry blossoms would drop his guard. Why? He does not know, but fact is that the perfect defense guy has allergy towards cherry blossoms which results in uncomfortable sneezing which makes channeling chakra impossible to maintain perfect defense.

So, overall his ability would be storyteller or GM's plot device but otherwise it works surprise negator. But the drawback is also that this ability does not function to help others; it warns only danger targeted towards himself not to others. So if foe who is aware of his ability would not land sneaky attacks vs him and would instead land attacks on teammates.

But if speaking overall what I am after; I want create a char who is genin and is not qualified to be chuunin nor jounin but still would have solid purpose or reason to be part of the hunting team some fashion. I thought it to be interesting RP chance how other jounin/chuunins and other 'professionals' would react when they learn one their team members is basically a genin. Then later reveal what for said guy was added to hunter team and realize his unique ability or knack makes him solid part of said team setup even his other fields his shinobi skills are lower than rest of the team.

Zaer Darkwail

I just thinked some examples; perhaps a bloodline which deals with liquid neutralization. That person with that bloodline can effortlesly without use of chakra neutralize liquid content to be non-offensive to living beings. A very simple bloodline which holds not a real shinobi level of amazement.

But it's applications could be varied; example if someone is poisoned he needs just look on the person and focus and he would neutralize poisoning condittion away as he neutralized poison. If someone would throw acid or hot burning oil on people, he could neutralize the liquid to harmless so long he can perceive and see the chakra patterns and undo them. He cannot undo example natural qualities of water; if water is hot then it burns, if someone throws icicles he cannot turn icicles to water nor he can prevent someone drown on water.

His case scenario he would had remained genin while his rest teammates became chuunin by temporally transfering to other teams to get chuunin exams done as he weigthed them down in exams as he was not skilled shinobi. Then he gave up on career ever becoming more than genin and so he became shinobi who used kenkei genkai to benefit of his village. Which mostly is used to cleansing sewage water or cleansing polluted lakes and rivers from factory productions or alchemical accidents.

Or another approach is to do a char similar to Kosuke Maruboshi; a genin with jonin level skills but reasons or another has refused from promotions and is not advertising said fact. He would be close to jack of all trades as he has not specialized on anything (so his overall profiency in all fields is set even). He would not have any unique tricks expect his creativity how he blends his varied techniques and expertise with them.

Elias

Quote from: Krayz on April 30, 2012, 02:13:47 PM
Ok, there are a few issues that need mentioning with this profile.

1) First and foremost, Baki is dead. Gaara is dead. The only canon character still alive is Naruto, and that's because of the extended lifespan possessed by members of the Uzumaki clan. He's a grandfather, and possibly beginning to slip into senility.

2) The series has all-but-explicitly named the locations where one can learn the arts of senjutsu: Mount Myoboku, the Ryuchi Cave, or Shikkotsu Forest (though Shikkotsu Forest is only implied, admittedly). Mount Myoboku belongs to the toads, and the Ryuchi Cave to the snakes. If you want to learn senjutsu, I'd like you to pick one of them to learn it from. I'd also be willing to accept as a stretch that Shikkotsu Forest is the home of the slugs, and that they're also capable of teaching senjutsu (it would make sense). I would personally suggest snakes, as they fit the desert theme a little more.

On a related note, you mention how he attempts to practice sage techniques on his own. While I have no issue with this, if you plan on using this at all in the RP without considerable development, could you describe some of the things you might want to slip in? Even pulling on sage mode for mere moments could allow access to powerful bonuses (massive boosts in physical ability, sensor abilities, etc).

3) Could you elaborate a little more on some of his techniques? You mention "various other low to high level techniques from his specific affinities"; some examples of the high level ones, at least, would be handy. Elaborating on how he has "one of the fastest defences" in his village would be nice too. Once again, its less an issue with the abilities, and more an issue with the ambiguity; being able to simply use whichever wind or earth techniques you want simply because of implication has potential for much asspulling.

1) Easy fix ill just use elder instead of specific names sorry about that.

2) I never realized those were the only places just the most prominent to the Naruto Universe since intelligent creatures seem to be able to be summoned from all forms of life, I was thinking the majority of them would have locations in which to practice such connections. But if thats not the case ill just pull out all the sage mode parts. I like the idea of him training with a sand lizard and gaining some of their skills. I also had no intention of using any sage abilities I assumed they were too strong, I just wanted it for his bio and to explain the closeness with the creatures he summons.

3) Ha yeah I will dig up a list of the common techniques known to the village for use from earth and wind affinities.

Krayz

@Zaer: Trapping people in crystal, making walls of crystal, etc, replicates ninjutsu used by dozens of different characters; it's not some new thing, even if some of the flavours or particulars are unique. With a technique like that, it becomes who can play the best strategy using the tricks at their disposal. A reflex defence will work no matter how clever an opponent is; in a game where no definite measure of speed, reaction time of the technique, etc, it's the sort of thing that can lead to fights that can't easily be resolved.

Some comments on other ideas you presented:

The 'gut sense' strikes me just as bad as the crystal. It reeks of metagaming. Some way or another, he always knows what he has to do to counter someone. It raises the same issues as the diamond, as well; he'll sense an attack coming, no matter what, and will instinctively know the method of countering it, rendering the attack null. Even worse, it doesn't even require explanation, because it's just his gut.

I suppose my only issue with the water-purifier is that there's no conclusive method as to what he's doing. His one ability apparently functions to neutralize acids/bases, kills diseases, removes random chemicals and substances that effect the human body. It's too much a case of intelligent design without any particular purpose. Even the Sharingan's wackey-doodle list of abilities makes sense if you consider it a mutation or devolution of the Rinnegan, which was just raw power in the form of eyeballs. The big point to make however is that regular Water Release jutsu have displayed many of the properties you're describing, producing fluids ranging from water to oil to syrup. Im not sure if it's really worth making into a kekkei genkai.

Your jack-of-all-trades, jounin-level genin actually strikes me as a cool idea (admittedly because I don't need to make judgments on power level :P). I would prefer a little bit of theme to the ability set; people have elemental affinities, and it's one in a hundred who actually use more than two. Also consider that using genjutsu effectively requires above-average chakra control and intelligence, while using most taijutsu requires above-average speed and strength. You can only push his natural abilities so far before he's just a Sue, but the limits of his techniques will be based on how strong he is in each area. Just be careful with the balance.

And if you have more ideas, please mention them. I wish I wasn't being such a joykill >_<.

@Elias: Don't forget the number of techniques the summoning trees often have at their disposal aside from senjutsu. Aside from a few creepy cases of body-mod, almost everything Orochimaru did was tricks taught to him by the snakes. Jiraiya was almost as bad for it, too. And I only assumed you planned on using sage abilities because you mentioned it in his etcetera, and that he liked to practice with them and try them out himself. I just wanted clarification if you were going to do so; while full sage mode would be a little extreme for this game, using it for momentary boosts and such wouldn't be harmful.

Vaulera

Judging by the poll results, I would say that there is a clear winner. Would it be okay if I changed my character to be a bad guy, perhaps make her a bit more insane and add on the bio? I could fix that rank and cross it out for missing nin too.

Zaer Darkwail

Hmmm, my jack-of-all trades genin would be only be average in every field. To avoid Mary Sue issues he would not be anyway expectional none in the fields but he is not bad neither. So he may not know powerful genjutsu to charm dozen people but he would know simpler tricks like cause minor illussion effect like disguise the fact that he throwed two kunai's instead one (and other kunai which he throwed secretly had wire on it and wire nor kunai is not seen until directly interacted with). He may not be super strong nor fast but he would know taijutsu enough not defend himself against most martial artists and deliver nasty punch if it gets through foe's guard. Ninjutsu wise he would not know even kage bunshin but he could create explosive tag armed displacements.

Elemental affinity wise he has wind and earth affinities. Not sure of village yet though.

Elias

Edited, I just removed the sage mode and stuck with the lizards.

Annie

Hmm, Krayz, do we have enough people, counting with Elias and Zaer?

“Fairy Tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” - G. K. Chesterton

Krayz

Players who wish to convert their characters to villain can state their intention to do so tomorrow. The balance can then be hashed out. I just want to give one last day for votes to come in.

@Annie: Elias and Zaer would have pretty much filled us right up, except now we need to see how many people switch over to the bad guys. Essentially, I wanted two or three teams of good guys, consisting of three or four shinobi.

Marie Reynolds

Hey I was out to sea for two days I'll hopefully have it together soon

Laughing Hyena

Quote from: Krayz on May 02, 2012, 12:49:55 PM
Players who wish to convert their characters to villain can state their intention to do so tomorrow. The balance can then be hashed out. I just want to give one last day for votes to come in.

@Annie: Elias and Zaer would have pretty much filled us right up, except now we need to see how many people switch over to the bad guys. Essentially, I wanted two or three teams of good guys, consisting of three or four shinobi.

I'll remain a hero character. Someone from the mist has to be the good guy right?

Annie

I guess that, even if I wanted, I can't be a evil guy. No way a granddaughter of Naruto could act like that. ;P

I think I'll add a just-for-fun tech for Nanase: Phantom Rasengan. It's just a blow with the palm of her hand, as if she using some invislble rasengan. Anyone knows a bit of japanese here? I found the word Yuurei translating as phantom or ghost in japanese, but I'm not sure if saying Yuurei Rasengan sounds right. ;P

“Fairy Tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” - G. K. Chesterton

Krayz

You'd think it, Annie, but you never know. In the same way the Senju/Uzumaki have become something of the "good guy" clan, the Uchiha have taken the role of the "bad guy" clan. And yet you have the likes of Itachi, Shisui, and Obito.

A black sheep is not a bad character concept, necessarily. If it's not one you'd enjoy, then obviously don't go with it. But don't count it right out, either.

At this point, we're just waiting for Zaer and Marie to get their characters in, as well Rachel to get her villain in, unless she's changed her mind on that front.

Laughing Hyena

Dunno currently Nanase Uzumaki doesn't strike me as a bad girl. A misfit like her father but like Gaara the path that lead him astray and not Naruto was that he didn't have others around him. Corny as that sounds it's true.