Superhero game - Interest check (Semi-freeform)

Started by Adonis, November 02, 2013, 02:18:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adonis

As the title suggests, this game would be based on the emergence of superheroes. The game itself will be a loosely structured, story-driven plot. The structure itself is more or less for reference purposes, and to define the levels of infection in each player.

The concept

A crate of flu vaccine's has been left in one of the lab rooms that was thought to be safe and appropriate for storage. However, radiation from a nearby experiment leaks through the walls and contaminates the vaccine. Your character, practical as always, goes in to get his or her yearly flu vaccine. Unbeknownst to yourself, the vaccine is contaminated, mutated, and extremely potent. Mere hours after injection, the human body normally forms antibodies to kill off the dead cells of the vaccine, and immunizes you. Not so with Flu Vaccine (insert numbers and letters here). Instead, the body systems integrate with the vaccine, linking cell and DNA structure to trigger fundamental changes within the human body.

The result? You guessed it. Superpowers. Or "symptoms" as the government will later name them.

The Drive:

Characters will be immersed into a story drive plot with triggered GM events, government threats, possibly otherworldly threats (if I choose to develop that area), as well as player vs. player scenarios.

Items of note:

-Superpowers early on will not be almighty. To begin with. I have a loose list of general powers that will be developed as the story progresses (based on time progression).
-Characters are to be "human". If otherworldy things are involved (aliens, etc), this *might* change.
-The game world will be relatively small to start with. The outbreak will be located within a smaller, fictional city that I will work up maps for
-Character death and the stripping of powers via police force "curing/immunization" rounds are *completely* within the realm of possibility. Clever play, manipulation, and secrecy will be encouraged.
-Stupidity (I.e., deciding to go all wrecking ball on a local bakery) will alert authorities, resulting in pursuit and possibly capture (Think Saints Row notoriety system)
-Players will be able to form "Gangs" of Heroes/Villains if they so choose to take over the city block by block, once certain infection levels are reached.
-Players will be encouraged to have a "back up" superhero/villain should their main character be killed or stripped of powers
-Blatent ripoffs of known superheroes will not be tolerated. If you turn in a sheet that contains a rather hairy man with an ademantium skeleton. claws, and super healing, I may or may not roll up said sheet and spank you with it. Be original !
- The ONLY times that a dice roll will be required by a player will be instances of PVP outcomes, police outcomes, and symptom dealings (increases, mutations, etc. This game is NOT system heavy at all.

Symptom Structure - Symptoms begin generalized, then may get more specific as they gain infection levels

All Heroes start at Symptom Level 1 (Hereto referred to as SL1-5)
New Characters begin with ONE SL-1 mutation.

Each game week, each player may make a roll to see if his or her hero gains a symptom level (or new level 1 symptom).
Any game week in which a player does NOT increase in SL or gain a new level 1 symptom, may add 15 to next week's role.
Please note, that occasionally for large achievements, random increases/mutations may be awarded.

Roll is 1-100

75-85 = Random Symptom increase
86-96 = Random Symptom Manifestation
97 = Choice between the two randoms
98 = Specific syptom increase choice
99 = Specific symptom manifestation
100 = Choice between 98/99
For every fight won, a player may add or subtract 1 to his roll.

-Mind-

Omnilinguistics
Telekinesis
Telepathy
Heightened Intelligence
Induced Healing (Via touch)

-Body-

Regeneration Rate
Speed

Example Progression for "Speed"
SL - 1 - Character reaches land-based speeds of around 50mph (Normal humans top out around 15-20)
SL - 2 - Character is now moves at top speeds of 100 mph
SL - 3 - Character now moves just under sub-sonic speeds of 300 mph
SL - 4 - Subsonic - Character may "walk" on water
SL - 5 - Supersonic - Speeds rival that of jet aircraft

Strength
Endurance
Reflexes
Base Senses
- Vision
- Hearing
- Smell
Vocals
Invisibility (Starts off as camouflage)

-Elemental-

Earth
Fire
Wind
Water
Light
Darkness
Transmutation (Touch)

-Transportation-

Flight
Teleportation

-Shapeshifting-

*ONLY* real species may be used. Nothing mythical.

Mammal
Insect
Reptilian
Avian
Fish

-Nature Affinity-

Mammalian Manipulation
Insect Manipulation
Reptile Manipulation
Avian Manipulation
Fish Manipulation
Flora & Fauna Manipulation

-----------------

Symptoms that I will *not* allow for player-controlled characters (Mainly to keep things fair, due to the fact that player vs player can and will occur I'm sure):

Time Travel
Mind Control
Invincibility
Long Term Invisibility
Anything that would cause instant death, i.e. Death Touches
Ability to completely paralyze someone

More will be added as interest is shown. If the game actually gets going at a decent clip, I'll be purchasing the newsbox thingy up top now and again to help gain players/advertise.
You can't change who people are at their core. You can only love them for what they've given you.
O/O's
Current Muse Status: Overdriiiive

Batman4560

Orange Marmalade

Angaroo

Amelita

RP Etiquette ~ Tumblr ~ Mumbler
~ There is nothing to writing; all you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed ~
Ons & Offs ~ Post Tracker ~ Ladies in Red

Kaedia

Marking down an amount of interest and posing a question.

What sort of powers are allowed? Do you have a general idea of what you want and don't want or is it mostly freeform as long as it makes sense, not absurd, and not a ripoff of another hero?
[Absences and Apologies] -- [1/0 - Preferences] -- [Requests and Ideas] -- [YIM/Email/PM Requests]
My Status:
Open.
◄ The mark is a part of me, but it does not define me ►

Adonis

Added a base power listing for some of the level 1 symptoms.

Zelfie: Can you be more specific with your second question?
You can't change who people are at their core. You can only love them for what they've given you.
O/O's

Amelita

an idea forming about this

Wind

RP Etiquette ~ Tumblr ~ Mumbler
~ There is nothing to writing; all you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed ~
Ons & Offs ~ Post Tracker ~ Ladies in Red

Kaedia

I believe your update covered my question. If I understand correctly my second question is void.

To verify I understand; powers are granted based off the list you updated since my question was posed. Of that list depending on your roll you either chose a power or are assigned one randomly (or increase a power once one has been obtained).
[Absences and Apologies] -- [1/0 - Preferences] -- [Requests and Ideas] -- [YIM/Email/PM Requests]
My Status:
Open.
◄ The mark is a part of me, but it does not define me ►

Adonis

The first symptom you manifest is completely your choice. That list is by no means comprehensive or final (but will likely be a fairly large portion of what I have in mind for starting symptoms). Your second statement is correct. That time-frame may change though depending on the pace of the game.
O/O's

Orange Marmalade

The only thing I might suggest to the 'random' thing is maybe adding a bonus for each week you roll less than 75%, just to kind of help keep things balanced a bit? Otherwise people might get very, very sad if they end up rolling 20 for 6 weeks in a row.

Adonis

Definitely something I'll look at. I'm only in the developmental stage with the actual homebrew system at the moment.
O/O's

Imogen

[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]Woo's and Won'ts / Absences
Stor-E Writers Registry[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

HeavenAbove

Salvation

Love this type of role play and genre.. consider me interested.

Adonis

So much interest in only an hour or two o.o

Looks like this will be moving from concept to recruitment more than fairly soon!
O/O's

MaiMizzu

I think id be interested in playing the touch transmutation part
The definition of a hero, at least in my mind, is someone who can protect what is right. To change and stop the wrong. To fight against the forces that seek to destroy you. And, at the very least ... live life well, and enjoy it with those you love.

kckolbe

I love seeing some limitations and pvp being a possibility.  Also, lotsa sexy women here.  I want in.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

kckolbe

Since we are getting a lot of interest, could we limit players to one character each?
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

Adonis

Im headed to class right now, but Ill do some expanding later. Just to confirm though, yes, players will only be allowed one character + an inactive backup if they so choose.
O/O's

Flower

Adonis

O/O's

kckolbe

I also like that I can play someone in his thirties and be new to superpowers.

EDIT: Saw this already answered.

Intro Thread

Niferbelle

*peeks in* Dang it. It's Flower's fault. I'm interested >.>