News:

Main Menu

What Games Abuse You?

Started by Inkidu, December 21, 2009, 11:16:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

You know the one. That horribly punishing game that hands you your ass like free samples at Costco. That one game, that shreds you down and uses you as birdcage liner. It''s a game you just can't freaking stop playing.

My own:

Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars. That game makes me cry on several occasions. It can be so damn hard, but it's so freaking fun.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Aiden

Rise of Nations against harder difficulty computers.

So much micromangaing...it hurts trying to expand, set economy and keep up militarily when the pc does that all automatically!

Drake Valentine

Monster Hunter Freedom 2 (Unite)

Of course Unite is more of an expansion of the former PSP game, but.. Yeah..

Share victory together, share defeat together.

Pretty fun game to play, that is if you like action, no story, and killing monsters and carving them for weapons and armor to kill bigger monsters and eventually at some point it gets to the fact you need a party otherwise solo play = doom cause the game can be unforgiving. *Huffs and flails arms.* Not a game for those with anger issues. <3

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Oniya

Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter.

First off, the game gives you ultimate power, but if you use it too much, it kills you.  Then, the game has sections you can only get to if you advance in 'D-Level' at the end of the previous playthrough.  Among the things that can help you advance is perma-saving as infrequently as possible.  You can do temporary saves with impunity, but if you die, you go back to your last perma-save.  I got within a few levels of the end with only one perma-save towards the beginning.  And died.  And I have recently rediscovered the game disk.  And I'm thinking of trying again.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Lady Annabelle

*Gulps at Oniya's post.*  That game is currently sitting in the middle of my stack of games to be played.

Saga Frontier - No matter how many times you level, the enemies will always be insanely stronger than you.
Persona - You could be overleveled, run into one fight and die.
Unlimited Saga - The game is unplayable.  Period.

But, the two worst for me are Ghosts & Goblins and Battletoads.  Both games are impossible.  But, yet, they are so enjoyable that I keep going back to play them.
All About Me  Where Am I?  Pixi's Twin  Miss Marguerite's Wife **True Girl Gamer**

"If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; But if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger: I should not seem a part of it." ~ Emily Bronte

"My heart beat so hard when I was near him, I feared he could hear my secret longing for him." ~ Destiny Vaestus

Oniya

It's actually a fun game - I like the mechanics, and the spell casting system allowed for some interesting strategies.  Mr Oniya played it all the way through once, and then our old chunky PS2 died while he was going through a second time (with new D-Areas!).  If it didn't have some element of fun, I wouldn't be looking at it as a potential re-play.

(even if it kicked my ass.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Canuckian

Right now the abusing game is Dragon Age: Origins.  It's a BioWare game, so there's no denying that it's put together quite well, but I'm finding it be a grind-tastic fest of grindingly goodness.  It's just so long and boring to slog my way through room after room of enemies to get to the good stuff: the character interaction.  Every other hour or so I throw the controller down in disgust and swear that's it!... which lasts for about another hour, give or take  :-[  ;)

BigNRich

Quote from: Aiden on December 21, 2009, 11:43:02 AM
Rise of Nations against harder difficulty computers.

So much micromangaing...it hurts trying to expand, set economy and keep up militarily when the pc does that all automatically!

No argument there. I hate games where the computer cheats.

One thing about RoN is that it's the only game I have that can actually abuse me physically as well as mentally: my back and shoulders are often throbbing after a game of RoN from pointing and clicking and whipping my mouse around like crazy just trying to keep up with everything. (No excuse though--I know you can pause, but I often don't.)

Tsakara

gonna hafta say Audiosurf, you will play the same song 15 times in a row cause YOU KNOW YOU CAN AVOID THAT ONE GREY BRICK!! GRAA!!

Shasta

This will sound pretty sad, but uh.. Super Smash Bro's for the Wii. There are so many things going on at once.. I just get angry and throw the remote.

Pellafin

On the PC The game Wanted. When you have to run though the streets in Italy (I think) and there are guy everywhere to kill you and you use all your adrenalin and then you get sniped. That's on easy mind you.
Arkady Duvall: You! I don't believe it!
Jonah Hex: Guess I'm just a bad penny.
Arkady Duvall: Why are you doing this?
Jonah Hex: Because I don't like you.

Talia

Wanted to answer this question my way so many times that I decided WTF......

Re: What Games Abuse You?

The head games people play on you in RL........ :D
He looks at me and my heart starts skipping beats, my face starts to glow and my eyes start to twinkle.
Imagine what he would do to me if he smiled!

Smile... it's the second best thing to do with your lips.

On's & Off's
The Oath of Drake for Group RP's
A&A

Inkidu

You know I'm noticing that head games aside. RTS games take the cake.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Goss

I'd say any Street Fighter game for me. Even as a kid I had trouble with the CPU as an opponent; I never had the reflexes to punch out combos like some people I knew. I kept playing them and hoping that I got better and to show up my buds, but it didn't happen. 

QuoteBut, the two worst for me are Ghosts & Goblins  and Battletoads.  Both games are impossible.  But, yet, they are so enjoyable that I keep going back to play them

Boy if that ain't the truth. Success for me in Battletoads was playing the hard levels an endless amount of times until I memorized the entire stage. Some people consider the Turbo Tunnel hard but some of the later levels are much harder. I don't ever remember getting past stage 8.

Pumpkin Seeds

Quote from: Canuckian on December 24, 2009, 09:44:21 PM
Right now the abusing game is Dragon Age: Origins.  It's a BioWare game, so there's no denying that it's put together quite well, but I'm finding it be a grind-tastic fest of grindingly goodness.  It's just so long and boring to slog my way through room after room of enemies to get to the good stuff: the character interaction.  Every other hour or so I throw the controller down in disgust and swear that's it!... which lasts for about another hour, give or take  :-[  ;)

Yeah, the hack n'slash starts to get to me too.  I get sloppy, start dying, get frustrated and storm off.  Come back about an hour or two later, blow through the part I was having trouble with and get to the goodie parts.  Though for the life of me I cannot beat that stupid random encounter with all the freak'n wolves.

Canuckian

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on January 09, 2010, 01:37:42 AM
Yeah, the hack n'slash starts to get to me too.  I get sloppy, start dying, get frustrated and storm off.  Come back about an hour or two later, blow through the part I was having trouble with and get to the goodie parts.  Though for the life of me I cannot beat that stupid random encounter with all the freak'n wolves.

The wolves, the Revenants, and Orzimmar in general are the reasons why I bumped the difficulty down to the Casual setting.  It just wasn't worth it for me to dick around in combat sections.  I've decided that DAO is a dungeon crawler in an RPGs skin.  I dislike dungeon crawlers.

BlisteredBlood

StarCraft and Quake 3 Arena, both for PC.

For StarCraft, let's just say that micromanaging troops, resources and add-ons can get pretty nutty, especially when all you're seeing on your screen is a preeminent death swarm of Zerg/Protoss/Terrans (not in that order, but close enough to it) coming to light you up like a Fourth of July spectacular.

In Quake 3 Arena, It's all about being at the right place at the right time and make a frag then keep moving. Staying still is a great way to get shredded, especially when you're beginning to ramp up the difficulty.
What BlisteredBlood Says Yes And No To: Ons and Offs
Got a question to ask? Ask me here!
Wanna RP with me? Check this out!
In case if I'm not here, refer to this.

Muninn

Final Fantasy XI.

I don't play anymore but... I miss it.  I keep wanting to crawl back to that horrible relationship of level grinding, terrible economy, ridiculous jobquests, killing the stupid same caterpillars and being killed by the same goblins for all eternity...

It hurts me but I miss it. *sob*

but the jobs are SO shiny!!!

simba

OK, kind of embarassing, but Bioshock! I love the game, but it really scares me.  It must be my overactive imagination taking hold when the splicers jump out at you!  It scares the daylights out of me, so I put the controller back down, but i keep coming back for more (and I've preordered Bioshock 2)

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: simba on January 11, 2010, 11:57:52 PM
OK, kind of embarassing, but Bioshock! I love the game, but it really scares me.  It must be my overactive imagination taking hold when the splicers jump out at you!  It scares the daylights out of me, so I put the controller back down, but i keep coming back for more (and I've preordered Bioshock 2)

And it gets creepier when you listen to the sound logs and read the bloody graffiti on the walls. (BRRR)

Canuckian

I tried the Bioshock demo and it didn't grab me at all.  I'm very selective when it comes to media, so if a story/show/movie doesn't grab me in the first few minutes, then it's not likely to hold my attention.  I haven't even tried the full game yet and have no plans to do so in the future.  But I'm glad you're enjoying it :)

Inkidu

I love Bioshock, but, its like something out of my imagination. I love airships and Art Deco underwater dystopias. Hell I can even think up Big Daddy. A name synonymous with "You're so screwed!". 

WhiteyChan

Command and Conquer Generals: Zero Hour

Trying to do the Generals Challenge on Hard mode... *rages* DAMN YOU CHINESE TANK GENERAL!

Inkidu

Quote from: WhiteyChan on January 15, 2010, 04:11:47 AM
Command and Conquer Generals: Zero Hour

Trying to do the Generals Challenge on Hard mode... *rages* DAMN YOU CHINESE TANK GENERAL!
Hard on any C&C game makes a person a borderline masochistic, usually.

Jr

Dare I mention... I Wanna be the Guy?