OP's on IRC

Started by Desan, March 13, 2009, 12:33:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Desan

Hiya!

I was just wondering if it was a good idea to possibly consider picking one (or maybe two...) person on IRC to become social OP's. Though we do usually have 2-3 OP's there, it seems about 85% of the time their not 'there'. Like they may be shown on the list, but their not really active most of the time. What I mean by social OP's is just they take care of registering/voicing members, kill spammers, and hopefully resolve any fights/arguments that happen in chat.

I think hiring one ( or even two) active person on IRC to be an OP should be considered. Especially when new (or even older) members come into IRC and need help to register and get voiced. Also, on rare occasions, when spammers come in, they can be dealt with faster as opposed letting them having to flood general and about 20minutes later an OP responds when people called for their help long ago.

I also think it's a good idea so it gives the higher ups some slack and not have to worry about IRC as much since they know there is another more active person looking over chat to make sure things are flowing smoothly. I'm in no way trying to bash the current people who are moderating IRC, no I'm just proposing we promote more active people so when the time comes for a mod to be needed, they are readily available as opposed as to highlighting their name and "hoping" that one of them is around and lurking.

Thanks for your time,

Desan
And I don’t really give a f-ck, and my excuse is that I’m young.

Silver

Alright here are my two cents upon this matter, since I am a person who is pretty active on IRC.

To me there is going to be no difference between an OP and a Social OP. All in the same they are going to end up being the same thing since the jobs are pretty much the same. Voicing people, making sure people play nice, dealing with spammers and those who have been banned, answering the questions of the newer people who have found that chat but not the main website or forums as of yet.

Also the OP who are normally in the room are actually there, they have lives and other things to do. Most time they have IRC running in the background so you have to pm one of them to catch their attention and matters will be dealt with.

----

Personally I believe that Vekseid picked the people that he did to watch over the chat because they have good people skills and know how to handle and deal with conflict smoothly. I believe that the people chosen actually have IRC and know their way around the commands. Another thing I think he chose people that can be trusted who can be relied on to be there and act like adults not getting into petty fights with others. They are the role models that we look up too. Sure we have Vekseid and two other wonderful goddess in the chat but we also have two of the best members who aren't Sirens or Satyrs, they are a wonderful example about what Elliquiy is about and what it stands for.

So in the end do I feel we need more Ops, perhaps but I think that's Vekseid decision to make as well as to pick out the best people around who can be trusted to handle matters correctly.

My two cents....
O/O's  Request Thread  A/A's
Now Playing: Star - ♡ Machinedrum (A$AP Ferg Remix)
People fear what they don't understand, But then they get mad because they don't dare to do it, Everybody a shinin' star, they ain't get far so they can't prove it, Most stars foolish, full of gas, useless, Pushin' bad influence, wonder what happened to 'em?, They say hurt people hurt people, guess that is proven, They put on a mask to mask feelings, Fill the universe with mass ceilings, Most people not even tappin' in...♡

Autumn Sativus

Quote from: Silver on March 13, 2009, 01:59:44 PMTo me there is going to be no difference between an OP and a Social OP.
I agree with that. An OP is an OP... no need for titles.

QuoteAlso the OP who are normally in the room are actually there, they have lives and other things to do.
And I think this is exactly what Desan was trying to address. It is a good thing that the OPs are always around, but he's suggesting adding a member who is on IRC more frequently in the 'active' status. The OPs are always there, of course, but there have been plenty of times where one is needed and cannot be found. I think he's just suggesting that some of the consistently active, responsible, trustworthy, etc. members of IRC, who will be more likely to be available when the immediate issues arise.
I don't think he's trying to invalidate the OPs who are already on IRC, just suggesting that one (or two.. or whatever number necessary) be added who won't just be 'in the background'.

Not sure if I maybe read what you were saying there wrong, but that's my two cents about that.

----

And on that note, I'll agree with Des (and I think Silver) in saying that an OP or two that would be more active on IRC would be great. As a member who uses the IRC channel more than anything, I've seen my share of issues go on when there was no OP around to help, and many times it's the same users that are online and trying their best to help the situations.

Obviously the decision should be up to the Gods and Goddesses (Veks included), and I'm sure that they'll make the right decision on that. Whether or not we need more OPs, and if so, who they should be.

My opinion. ^^
~Saff
Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

blue rose

I think anyone with a  + in that channel has the responsibility to rise to the occasion if something goes wrong. This is not kindergarten. You don't need a badge to say you don't agree. And you can help out people with your knowledge with or without a @.

You do not need an (overzealous ?) hallmonitor arbitrating disputes of bickering people in the chat. If it bothers you, tell them. In a nice polite manner. We're all supposed to be adults in there, right ?

I can understand you need people, perhaps more to voice approved members, but frankly, pm them, be patient and, in my experience it gets solved within the day. Is there anyone that really can't wait for a day to get a +  in front of their name ? What's the hurry/emergency ?

Spammers...now there you have a point. But I don't think you need a 'social' op for that. And in my opinion, still there is a 24/7 response team on there all the time.

Backup for these guys ?  I'm all for, but don't expect them to settle your disputes for you.

===========================
Sheepish grin [disclaimer]
The You is of course not directly aimed at aspecific person
(well specifucally for all of us with the +)
Of course we have a staff that is in charge of deciding these things
[/disclaimer]
Qui que tu sois, voici ton maitre. Il l’est, le fut, ou le doit être Voltaire about Eros O & O Story Ideas

At the touch of your hand At the sound of your voice At the moment your eyes meet mine
I am losing my mind I am losing control Fighting feelings I can't define

Dingo

Blue Rose is quite correct in her opinions, the members should police themselves.

However, I notice that sometimes the ones in the center of the argument are the ones who are not aware that a situation is starting. A more active person with op status could probably defuse those situations before they become the problem that Desan mentioned.

So, in part I agree with Blue Rose, that there should not be the necessity of a Kindergarten Cop, but as the situation is now, there should be one, at least until things are normalized again.

blue rose

Quote from: Dingo on March 16, 2009, 08:12:57 PM
that there should not be the necessity of a Kindergarten Cop, but as the situation is now, there should be one,

Or...I have just been informed by one of said Ops:

"Not so much Kindergarten as Naughty Schoolgirls* of Barely Legal Age"

:D   * equal op of course.
Qui que tu sois, voici ton maitre. Il l’est, le fut, ou le doit être Voltaire about Eros O & O Story Ideas

At the touch of your hand At the sound of your voice At the moment your eyes meet mine
I am losing my mind I am losing control Fighting feelings I can't define

Kazae

In all fairness, my gig is to be the public accessible person, and given that I'm currently looking FOR work, I should have the free time...

That said, I'm actually far more present than I let on, though I've been guilty of being extremely 'voyeuristic' of late.  I'm in the process of being much, MUCH more visible...without any necessarily malevolent intent.
...................__
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
..........................'...../
..........''............. _.·´
..........................(
Yes, I'm probably over-thinking.  Yes, I'm going to continue over-thinking.
There are enough people out there running on autopilot;someone has to make up for those lost synaptic cycles, and it may as well be me.

Push Button...

Vekseid

I stealth-opped Phoebe >_>

We really don't need many, just a good coverage for spam attacks.

Autumn Sativus

Quote from: Vekseid on March 17, 2009, 04:24:38 PM
I stealth-opped Phoebe >_>

We really don't need many, just a good coverage for spam attacks.
I think my only suggestion for spam attack coverage would be to pick out (if there is one) another who is online at times when Phoebe is not, then you've got your bases double covered. xD
(Just a suggestion of course, we know you know what you're doing. ^^)
Us against the world

Desan

*Woots*

Congrats to Phoebe!

Vekseid

If I op anyone else it's probably going to be more of the high-level staff here (Caeli, possibly?). Trieste and Bliss are both ops.

Bliss

*still can't get to the IRC from work, and feels rather useless these days, Op-wise*
O/O ~ Wiki ~ A/A ~ Discord: Bliss#0337
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Vekseid

Not even using Mibbit?

Bliss

Is glitchy and unsatisfying. *poutface*
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Desan

So that's why I rarely see you on there Bliss!

Bliss

D'aw, I didn't think I was missed!
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Autumn Sativus

Us against the world

Desan

Kazae

No work and no Bossu~ makes Kazae something something...
...................__
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
..........................'...../
..........''............. _.·´
..........................(
Yes, I'm probably over-thinking.  Yes, I'm going to continue over-thinking.
There are enough people out there running on autopilot;someone has to make up for those lost synaptic cycles, and it may as well be me.

Push Button...

Trieste