Dragon Riders of Pern : Interest Check

Started by SweetSerenade, December 05, 2014, 05:56:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrystal

Co-GM Notice

I've just discussed this with Sweet.

Basically, all character sheets (when we make them) are going to be posted to the Wiki for the obvious reason that it keeps everything in the same place.

Now, when it comes to character pics, this creates an issue.

Quote from: https://elliquiy.com/wiki/Welcome_to_Elluikielliquiy.com has hotlinking protection - do not try to link images here from elsewhere (Blue Moon Roleplaying excepted)

What that means is that all images used on the wiki must be uploaded to the wiki.

There are a number of advantages to having your pics stored on Elluiki.

• If the original owner of that image takes it down, you still have it. I have lost a number of really good character images because the site they were on removed them.
  • By down-loading the file to your comp, virus scanning it and re-uploading it to the Wiki, you ensure that elliquiy doesn't accidentally get hotlinked to an attack-site or a site infected with some nasty virus.
  • By hosting images on the wiki, they are where you can find them again, in case you want to re-use them

Those are just the most obvious reasons. There are probably others.

But, advantages aside, the wiki will not hotlink to an external file.

So, if you know how to do so and are happy rto do so, we ask you please to upload your character images to the wiki and link them from there into your character sheet.

If you are not confident with using the wiki to store images, please ask myself, Sweet, or anyone else who posts below this to volunteer the service, to upload the image for you.

Thank you for your co-operation!

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Verasaille

That looks good, I will probably use that when you have it done and post a link to the wiki.
I have gone off in search of myself. If I should get back before I return, please keep me here.

Caela

Chrystal, would you be willing (when time permits) to post instructions on how to save images to the wiki? I'm happy to lode my own images but I don't know how.

SweetSerenade

I have more work to do, I know... but I am taing it a little slower because I do not want to overload myself. XD

Bakemono Shiki RP(Lovely Siggy Layout is thanks to Amaris)

Chrystal

Quote from: Caela on December 10, 2014, 06:40:30 PM
Chrystal, would you be willing (when time permits) to post instructions on how to save images to the wiki? I'm happy to lode my own images but I don't know how.

Watch this space. Will have to be tomorrow as it's 00:52 here right now. Night all...

I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Caela

Chrystal

Okay, here is a very simple guide to uploading images to the Wiki here.

STEP 1

Download the image to your computer's hard drive. I'm going to assume you know how to do this. The exact method varies  with operating system and browser. Generally referred to as "click-saving".

Step 2

Open the Wiki. At or near the top of the window that Elliquiy is open in should be a row of buttons. Exactly what they look like depends on the theme you are using. The Wiki button is on the left, labelled "Wiki".

This will open the Elluiki welcome page. There is a lot of important information there that you should probably read at some point... Also links to guides on how to go about creating a wiki page.

But for now, let's upload your picture....

Step 3

On the left hand side of the window are a number of menus. Locate and click the one that says "Upload file".

Step 4

This will take you to the "File Upload Screen"

Step 5

Click the button marked "Browse". This will open a standard dialogue box asking you to select which file you want to upload. Navigate your hard drive to the file you want and select it. I'm assuming you know how to do this. Again it varies with operating system.

Step 6

When you have selected the file, you will be shown a thumbnail of it to the right, along with some technical details like it's size and dimensions. The destination file name box will have filled in automatically.

If there is already a file on the wiki with that name, you will be given a warning, shown the existing file and asked whether you want to replace the existing file or change your file's destination name.

If this happens, simply type a new name into the Destination Filename box. The name of your character joined with the name of the game is most likely to be unique. DO NOT USE AN AMPERSAND  "&" character.

If the filename is already unique you don't need to change it, but you may want to anyway.

Step 7

In the Summary box type the following:

[[category:characters]] Character image of charactername for rpname

replacing the bits in italics with the name of your character and the name of the roleplay.

Step 8

Click the button marked "Upload File".

There, that was a lot easier than you thought it was going to be, wasn't it?

You should now see a screen with a thumbnail of the file you just uploaded and a whole load of technical gubbins.

THIS IS THE BIT PEOPLE MOST OFTEN GET WRONG

LEFT-click on the thumbnail.

This will open the picture on your screen, full size or scaled to fit.

RIGHT-click on the image.

This should (depending on your browser and device) open a pop-up menu. Click on "COPY IMAGE LOCATION"

In your character sheet, between the img and /img tags, paste the url you have just copied.

it should look something like this:

https://elliquiy.com/elluiki/images/8/86/Wiki_Guide_4.png

If it doesn't, you selected the wrong thing!

Two final points:

Where can I find all the pics I just uploaded?

On the welcome screen there are a number of menu items in the top right corner. Locate the one that says "Contributions" and click it.

This will open a list of everything you have ever uploaded to the wiki. (Mine is quite long!) Click an item it will take you to the detail page for that item. remember to click the thumbnail before copying the location

How do I get back to the Forums?

In the menu on the left is a menu item "The Forums".

You can upload your pics into your own Wiki contributions area whenever you like. Wiki is common, so I will be able to link them directly into the wiki character sheets.

Have fun!

Angie

Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

Caela

I am now going to pretend I didn't read that Angie!

Angie

Quote from: Caela on December 11, 2014, 07:52:12 PM
I am now going to pretend I didn't read that Angie!

I don't blame you. It's like how I pretend Bioshock 2 doesn't exist.

SweetSerenade

Ew, just ew. They waited till Anne had been dead a bit so she couldn't protest to this piece of filth they are making!

Caela

Of course they did! She'd never have let them do it when she was alive.

Angie

Quote from: SweetSerenade on December 11, 2014, 08:03:46 PM
Ew, just ew. They waited till Anne had been dead a bit so she couldn't protest to this piece of filth they are making!

Now I feel even worse for posting it. I just had to because, well, crap like this deserves to be exposed.

Caela

I read some of the comments though, and have to admit that I didn't mind the idea, so much of it being a TV series done by someone that had proven they could handle such a complex story. It would likely need to be a cable station because a regular network just wouldn't have the budget to do it justice.

Ms Gavane

I'll have to watch it. I always do. Then I'll spend the rest of my life bitching about it to people who aren't to blame and probably don't really care about it.  :-X
O/O

Caela

Quote from: Ms Gavane on December 11, 2014, 08:19:18 PM
I'll have to watch it. I always do. Then I'll spend the rest of my life bitching about it to people who aren't to blame and probably don't really care about it.  :-X

+1

Verasaille

To be honest, I think the legends of Pern deserve as much attention as those of Tolkien. A lot of fantasy authors do not get the attention they deserve.
I have gone off in search of myself. If I should get back before I return, please keep me here.

Ms Gavane

Whether I agree with the interpretation or not, I do really enjoy the renewed attention that authors get after the movies are made.

And I totally agree with you, Verasaille.
O/O

Chrystal

The one thing I disagree with, Verasaille, is your classification of Anne McCaffrey as a fantasy author. She wrote science fiction, Pern is not a fantasy world it is an alien world set in the Federated Sentient Planets universe.

(By the way, if anyone is interested, I have an idea for a "brain ship" story up for grabs in my ideas thread...)

But no, the film version never does justice to the book. Dune, as originally released, had Frank Herbert cringing, and he was actually involved in the production. The director's cut, which is about an hour longer, contains material that Herbert had originally insisted be there!

The movie of Judge Dredd had original fans of the comic book character (like me) boycott the film, because Sly Stallone insisted on his face being show on screen, but Judge Dredd's face was NEVER seen. (Also, Dredd is portrayed in the movie as a hero, when in fact he was the enforcer of a brutal dictatorship!)

Starship Troopers, don't even get me started on. Heinlein must have been spinning in his grave! They took the concept of the MI that he had created and so totally changed it that the movie bares absolutely no relation to the book whatever apart from the name and the names of the characters. If I was one of Heinlein's descendants, I would have sued TriStar!

The one good thing to come out of a crappy movie or TV series being made of the Pern books, is it will make more people aware of the series, and hopefully those people will then read the books!

Angie

Quote from: Chrystal on December 12, 2014, 05:45:33 AM
The one thing I disagree with, Verasaille, is your classification of Anne McCaffrey as a fantasy author. She wrote science fiction, Pern is not a fantasy world it is an alien world set in the Federated Sentient Planets universe.

(By the way, if anyone is interested, I have an idea for a "brain ship" story up for grabs in my ideas thread...)

But no, the film version never does justice to the book. Dune, as originally released, had Frank Herbert cringing, and he was actually involved in the production. The director's cut, which is about an hour longer, contains material that Herbert had originally insisted be there!

The movie of Judge Dredd had original fans of the comic book character (like me) boycott the film, because Sly Stallone insisted on his face being show on screen, but Judge Dredd's face was NEVER seen. (Also, Dredd is portrayed in the movie as a hero, when in fact he was the enforcer of a brutal dictatorship!)

Starship Troopers, don't even get me started on. Heinlein must have been spinning in his grave! They took the concept of the MI that he had created and so totally changed it that the movie bares absolutely no relation to the book whatever apart from the name and the names of the characters. If I was one of Heinlein's descendants, I would have sued TriStar!

The one good thing to come out of a crappy movie or TV series being made of the Pern books, is it will make more people aware of the series, and hopefully those people will then read the books!

Oh shit, I pulled the cork out of the bottle, it's just gonna spray all over the place.

Verasaille

I know some people think of science fiction as a separate genre, but I classify it as part of a larger setting, fantasy. Though I agree MCCaffrey was an outstanding author, I see more elements of fantasy in her series than science. I mean as soon as you introduce dragons who are sentient and can fly not only in the air, but to another planet and time? That is more fantasy than science.

SweetSerenade

Quote from: Verasaille on December 12, 2014, 02:16:17 PM
I know some people think of science fiction as a separate genre, but I classify it as part of a larger setting, fantasy. Though I agree MCCaffrey was an outstanding author, I see more elements of fantasy in her series than science. I mean as soon as you introduce dragons who are sentient and can fly not only in the air, but to another planet and time? That is more fantasy than science.

Except the Sci-Fi element was adequately explained. Kitti Ping used the genetic engineering she knew to change a sentient life form on Pern - into the Dragons and Whers known today. The teleportation is something that is accessed through advanced mechancs that basically send them through a 'null' space that exists neither through time or space - and thus can be used to just connect two points more easily.

Chrystal

It wasn't Kitti Ping who created the Whers, though, it was Wind Blossom!

Oh, just to check, did my quick guide to uploading stuff to the wiki make sense to everyone?

As I pointed out to Sweet when she insisted I had to Co-GM, I prefer to explain things from first principals, because I don't know how much people already know. So if it's a bit "Early Learner"-ish, I apologise, but it's better that way than assuming you understand the jargon, and as the saying goes, "A Picture Paints A Thousand Words"

Caela

I for one am glad you made it as simple as possible. When I say I don't know something, I'd much prefer someone assume I mean I know nothing than that I know more than I do and then I have to stop and ask them to explain what they just said again lol. :)

SweetSerenade

Just letting you all know I haven't forgotten. I am mostly working on gathering the information I need for the game. I will finish up Crafts probably in the next few days - and then move on to the Holds. After that I will be working on the Dragon information. I will release Wher information when there is more interest in Wher Handlers, and Firelizards will be written somewhere around there too.

Before I move on to everything else I will be writing out the rules for creating the different stages of crafters - then I will be doing the same for Holders (Drudge, Hold Person, Lord Holder/Children of the Lord Holder) -  stuff like that.