Tohku City (Seeking Females)

Started by ManyMindsManyVoices, June 09, 2014, 04:03:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ManyMindsManyVoices

OOC Thread (This Game is in the NC-Exotic forum as a precaution, it's likely much closer to Light-Human)

Specific Informative Posts
Detailed Setting Information
Character Types
Character Roles
FAQs
Character Sheets (Major {TSF} | Major {Other} | Minor)

Welcome to Tohku City! Today, Tohku is the biggest city in the world, some call it the World's Capital.
We have an array of different districts, from our vibrant downtown to the quiet suburbs, and even calm rural countryside.
Our city is also home to the largest concentration of supernatural occurences in the world,
but not to worry, the Tohku Special Forces keeps the city safe.

Most citizens barely notice the supernatural elements in their day-to-day lives,
but residents of our beloved city find their encounters with the supernatural to often be very exciting.
We do warn our citizens that this concentration of supernatural events means that spirits have been known to cause problems,
and people should be very careful of majin attacks.
If a majin attack occurs, please evacuate quickly and safely and allow TSF to handle the situation.

Tohku City exists in a modern, 'Near-Earth' world (meaning it's like Earth, but it's not our world), where supernatural forces are a known presence, but not one normal humans interact with on a daily basis. The world is inspired by Tokusatsu and Anime tropes, but it doesn't seek to directly emulate the genre. It seeks to be less over-the-top and silly (though without denying a bit of silliness is necessary when Henshin Heroes and Magical Girls serve as its protectors).

The plot of the game centers around two major facets, the rise of dangerous supernatural forces and TSF's defense against it, and a look into the daily lives of the supernatural. Tohku Special Forces has recently developed a project to create super soldiers, to deal with the increasing threat of the majin, powerful destructive beings that, so far, could only be killed by highly trained squads with powerful weapons. The project, however, goes awry, and random civilians are given the abilities intended for soldiers, as well as the ability to connect wit the powerful suits developed by TSF.

The picture above serves to showcase both the character, KC, and the setting, so take note of the background as well.

Casey (who stylizes his name 'KC'), is a sickly boy who is altered by the project, begins to find himself in better health, and eventually TSF seeks him out to recruit him. KC wishes only to lead a normal life, and resists, but finds himself dragged into the plot, and his 'normal life' becomes complicated as he begins to attract other supernatural forces into his life. KC suddenly has a number of new people (mostly girls, as this side of the story takes a cue from the 'Harem' genre like Tenchi Muyo and Negima) involved in his life.

KC is not meant to be the main character of the story, mind you. He serves as a link between the two major parts of the story, and the various characters within. The inspiration of the 'Harem' genre isn't meant to put KC in a place where a number of girls fawn over him, but instead just draws on the idea of an awkward young man forced out of his comfort zone and put into complicated situations with these new people in his life. There will be room for other males, and definitely other relationships (romantically, sexually, and otherwise). The 'non-action' side of the plot will be exploring the daily lives and social events of a group of strange individuals (including other Henshin warriors, wizards/witches, spirits, Magical Girls, robots, and other things, including some humans).

Below are the rules and guidelines for this game (and probably any game I run). If you can't be bothered to read them, I can't be bothered to approve you. This is the only section I obligate every player to read all the way through (I know I write a lot of stuff), please do so.

• Communication! - I will say this as many times as I have to, as many times as I can, communication is key. I am here to talk whenever possible. I take my games pretty seriously, because I committed to its players, but I also can't make a game work without players with a little dedication. If you're not interested/excited, why should anyone be? Let's talk, get to know each other even, but most of all, let's talk about what you want in the game. I am happy to explain anything and everything I can, and players who talk are more likely to enjoy playing together.

• Changing Threads - When a character is changing to another thread, please link to that thread in the post (better yet, link to the post that yours leads into). On the flipside, if you are coming from another thread, post a link to where your character just came from (again, if you can link to the specific post, all the better).

• Writing Skills - The first thing to make me want not to read what you write is poor writing skills. If you don't speak English as your first language, that's fine, I'll cut you some slack. However... (if ur sentancez luk liket his with no punctuashun whatsoever) Then please, let's save everyone the headache. I don't want to reject you, you don't want to get into a fight with me and no one wants to look like a dick. So let's just agree that it's no fun to play together.

• Plot and Sex - I came to E to write collaborative stories and games with few restrictions. This means both plot and sex will likely be a major part of any game I GM. Sex scenes should be played outside of major threads, unless discussed with a GM beforehand, and it makes sense in the situation. If you are writing a sex scene that doesn't advance character interactions dramatically, play it out separately and move on with the plot in the main threads.

• Approval - My games always require approval to join, and I can be pretty selective. I want my players to feel like I will make an effort to choose role players who understand the rules and show signs of a good role-player. The game is a community, and I want to make a good community for everyone. It will not be first come, first serve, and I will not accept players just to fill roles.

• Gender - When it comes down to it, I will lean towards lords playing males, and ladies playing females. This isn't a rule, and if I feel a character is well written and believable, I don't really care who is writing them. This definitely doesn't mean I have a problem with lieges and trans-players/characters, in fact, I find their experiences with gender identity definitely makes the ones that are good RPers even better.

• Pacing - As I discuss in the 'On the Nature of Group Games' section, a healthy pace is important to keeping group games alive. I won't set an arbitrary post rate, but I will do what it takes to keep the game moving. If you're a slow poster, decide how much time you can devote to the game and make it clear. Fast posters should consider multiple characters (and probably multiple games), and remember that being patient is also important. Either way, communication is the key to making this work.

• I don't like having an arbitrary post size or limit placed on people. Don't overuse purple prose, and don't write so little that no one has anything to play off of. A good post should include something the progresses the scene/plot, and should include descriptive words that help make a character's tone and body language clear.

• There are exceptions to every 'rule', and someone who is genial and really tries to make an effort will be welcome much more than someone who isn't.

• Recruitment Rules - Do not post characters to the recruitment thread. All characters and potential recruitment will be discussed through PM or instant messenger. If you can't follow that simple rule, you're much less likely to be approved. I do not want the recruitment thread to become cluttered and intimidating to new players (my games already have enough text description). The recruitment thread is for potential players to get information or show interest.

On the Nature of Group Games: I've done a lot of group games on E, and they are, as a whole, quite a pain in the ass. That said, they're also very fun and rewarding when done well, and I've learned a lot about how best to handle them since I first joined here. Before we get into anything, let me link to the Oath of the Drake. It's a very good set of guidelines to start with for group games.

I think the most important thing to note with regards to any game, and especially group games, is that it is a social contract. Agreeing to join this game (or any game) is an agreement to respect the desires and time of the people involved. Of course you have lives outside of the game, but the people behind the screens, cities, states, or countries away are still people. Their time is valuable, and their happiness is meaningful, and this is a place where they spend one to gain the other.

A social contract is an obligation, and that doesn't have to be a bad thing, but it should be treated like an important one. Don't join a game if you can't devote the time to it. If you're having an off day or your life becomes hectic, I understand, your fellow players will hopefully understand, so long as you let us know what's going on.

Pacing is the biggest issue I've seen with group games, and a healthy pace is lifeblood of a game. This comes both in the form of how often people post, and in the pacing of the story. I will do my very best to help both things along, but every player should consider this their responsibility to the other people involved.
My O/Os * Everyone should read 1/0

This is the Oath of the Drake. You should take it.

ManyMindsManyVoices

Character Types

This section discusses the different character types that are available. I'm willing to take suggestions on things to add to this list, but I won't just add anything.

Humans - These completely alien things are well outside the experiences of normal players. They are strange monstrosities that walk on two legs and talk and look at you with their eyes. They're freaks of nature and of course no one would want to play them. Unfortunately, they make up the vast majority of Tohku's population. Seriously, though, humans are just humans, much as they are on Earth. I would like to see at least one non-combatant, human player character who is gets caught up in the supernatural events of the plot.

Majin - These characters are not intended for normal players. The majin are powerful entities with unknown motives. They can take human form, are very destructive, and are very difficult to kill. Until recently, their appearance has been uncommon, but TSF has noted a spike in majin activity. Project Knight is a direct response to this, attempting to create elite soldiers that can fight back against the majin without requiring dangerous and heavy weaponry or large containment teams. Majin are generally quite solitary, but it is difficult to know exactly how they function due to their rarity and the danger they've posed making it unfeasible to capture them in the past.

Wizards and witches are capable of sealing them (particularly when working with guardians), but it is difficult, as the process leaves the mages (and guardians) vulnerable while they cast the seal. Sealing the majin also does not destroy it, and more than one majin has broken free of their prison. I may allow someone to play a character with a majin sealed inside them.

Knights - These characters are inspired by the Henshin Hero genre. While not an official name, Knights are the result of the failed Project Knight, which sought to make soldiers compatible with the Gears System (as described in the 'Tohku Special Forces' section of the setting information). The Gears allow those altered by Project Knight to utilize armored power suits (which can be summoned to the user from anywhere, at least within a distance large enough to cover all of Tohku City). These suits each have their own specializations, and are meant to be used to fight majin.

Each of the Gears has a set of extraordinary abilities, and at least one 'Finishing Move'. They are, however, quite taxing even for Knights, and new Knights are unlikely to be able to handle using a 'Finisher' (and will have to work up to be able to utilize that ability). Even then, Knights will likely collapse after using one, and while faster than a sealing ritual, a 'Finisher' requires a small amount of time to charge and execute, allowing a majin to easily dodge it if it hasn't been worn down.

Knights are also tougher and more athletic outside of their suits, and I may even allow some to have some small superhuman ability. Knights are also capable of healing faster, but generally require a much larger diet to support their notable metabolism. (Also, a so far unknown complication is that these benefits come with a shortened lifespan, but younger characters wouldn't notice within the timespan of the RP most likely.)

Guardians - These are inspired by the Magical Girl/Mahou Shoujo genre. Guardians are girls, chosen at a young age by otherworldly forces, that are given passive and protective powers. Guardians, especially powerful ones, are said to have an angelic aura about them, suggesting their power derives from some benevolent celestial force. Guardians are able to purify things, create shields, conjure paper shikigami, put people to sleep, and heal people, though the actual capabilities vary between guardians. All guardians, however, are quick, graceful, and extremely agile, capable of moving swiftly from place to place.

Most guardians are generally unaware of why they are chosen or for what purpose, but it seems that most inevitably utilize their powers to protect and care for others. It is not uncommon for guardians, especially younger ones, to hide their abilities and use them sparingly, particularly since guardians are always born human and are gifted their powers later.

Wizards and Witches - Sometimes called mages, sorcerers, and sometimes warlocks among the more dark and pretentious sorts, these entities are a bit of a mystery. Wizards and witches have a wide variety of abilities, and as a whole, they seem capable of nearly anything. Individually, each wizard or witch has a number of small tokens, symbols, and other objects keyed to specific powers. A wizard might carry a small key that in human hands would open nothing, but carries the magic to open any lock. A witch might have a small feather charm which allows her to float on the breeze or grow magical wings and fly.

Unlike guardians, mages are born with magic, and while they pass as human (though some have small inhuman features like cat-like eyes or pointed ears), they are another species. They are capable of breeding with humans, though the resulting child may or may not have the capacity for magic.

Witches and wizards have also been seen performing rituals to cast greater spells than they can through their totems, or spells that require the power of more than one of their kind. These take time and certain ingredients, and are generally quite taxing, so it is relatively uncommon.

Espers - Espers are humans that have been born with psionic capabilities. Each esper has a specialization (telekinesis or telepathy for instance), and their abilities are generally not that extreme. A telekinetic esper is likely to be be able to throw a human aside or perform small tasks at a distance, but they aren't likely to be lifting and throwing cars. A telepathic esper might be able to hear someone's surface thoughts or communicate at long distances, but they aren't likely to take over someone's mind.

It is unknown what causes espers to manifest, but there are examples of it for many centuries, and there are many different sorts of espers. In Tohku, when an esper manifests, they are taken in for a medical examination by TSF, and basic records (fingerprints, DNA, blood samples) are kept, but they are otherwise allowed to live as normally as other supernaturals.

Spirits - Spirits are the remnants of a deceased individual, generally with some reason to be tethered to the world they were meant to leave behind. They are ethereal, not quite part of the material world, and thus generally intangible, invisible, and inaudible. Spirits will usually manifest abilities over time (sometimes months, sometimes years, occasionally within days), allowing them to move objects, make themselves seen or heard, create strange visuals, mess with signals and waves, and even possess humans.

Espers tend to be capable of sensing spirits in some way, and it is not uncommon for witches, wizards, and guardians to be able to see them. A strong enough or old enough spirit might even be capable of manifesting themselves completely, for a time, so that they can be seen and touched.

Unfortunately, most spirits are malevolent or mournful, given they are usually tied to the world by some strong emotion. A spirit that has been tethered to the world for a long time and is angry, sad, or vengeful, is often lost to that emotion, losing their connection to other emotions and memories.

Androids and Gynoids - Androids and gynoids are robots that generally look and feel like humans. Most androids and gynoids have 'Simulated Intelligence', meaning they are capable of a large number of tasks and have very complex programming, but do not have true cognizance or a real capacity to learn. The Technology section of the setting information discusses some of the details of Android and Gynoid history.

Some androids and gynoids only mimic humans superficially, but most with actual Artificial Intelligence are generally designed to be more anatomically on par with humans, while generally being capable of faster calculations, enhanced strength and resilience, and memory and data storage that mimics that of a computer, rather than humans. There are definite experiential differences with even Artificially Intelligent androids and gynoids, such as having different means by which they 'smell' and 'taste' if they can at all, and not actually needing to eat or breath (though they do need to 'sleep' during which time they restore energy through their ExtraTech power conduits).

Any full-fledged player character that is an android or gynoid is probably going to be an AI, unless someone specifically wishes to challenge themselves to play an SI.

Character Sheet

[float=right][img padding=10]<Image URL here>[/img][/float]
[b]Name:[/b]    [b]Player:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]   [b]Age:[/b]
[b]Type:[/b]

[b]Bio/Description:[/b]

[b]Skills/Powers:[/b]

[b]Preferences:[/b] <What are your character's sexual tastes, interests, desires, dislikes, etc.>

ManyMindsManyVoices

Character Roles

This section will discuss character roles in the story, and denote roles that are being actively sought. Some of these concepts may overlap or be compatible with others, and some may just be ideas that aren't necessary to the plot. Anything listed in Red is actively being sought, and generally required for the story to progress. Roles listed in Green aren't necessary roles but strongly desired ones.

• Female Characters - So, this is the broadest category, but the most notable aspect being sought is a few more girls on the 'Harem' side of the story. These are girls who are generally supernatural and mostly have ended up in KC's life recently by various happenstance. Most are likely not part of the TSF/Project Knight storyline at first, but end up as part of it (since it pretty much effects the whole city).
  • The Tsudere - The tsundere is a pretty common and pretty specific trope. The tsundere is difficult to describe any more than to say, she isn't what she seems. She has a soft and tender side, and falls for someone (probably KC) hard, but damned if she'd show it. Most likely, she's going to scream at him when he puts himself in danger, because, you know, what if he dies and she has to deal with the funeral and crap... I mean, it's not because she cares or anything... Stupid...
  • Neighbor/Roommate - KC is likely to get a living upgrade early in the story, since he spent all his time hospitalized before Project Knight. So, he might have a room mate, and he'd almost definitely have neighbors, a good place to interject a new female into his life. Using both would be fine.
  • The Human - A girl who isn't a supernatural or a member of TSF, just someone who ends up involved in the story and is totally in over their head with all the supernatural stuff even before it gets dangerous.
  • The 'Villain' Knight - This character steals a suit and acts on his own. He or she might not be a villain, per se, but (s)he' at least an anti-hero.
  • An Old Friend - KC's been sick for basically his whole life, mostly living in his home or in the hospital, but maybe he made friends with a girl for a brief time when he way younger and they run into each other now that he's healthy. Maybe she was in the hospital or maybe he met her during a short period where he was doing better.
  • Family Members - A family member of KC or one of the other characters. For KC, maybe a cousin or a sister, this may or may not come with some awkward romantic entanglements. As for family members of other characters, it could be just about anything, this is just an easy way to introduce characters that aren't part of TSF.
  • TSF Members - There's a decent amount of interest for TSF members already, especially Knights. So this note is here to mention that I'm much less likely to approve TSF members, but I'll still take interest for this aspect of the story if people want to apply. Also, non-Knight TSF members are definitely more likely to get approved.

ManyMindsManyVoices

This is still a work in progress, but a lot of the information is now available. I'll start discussing characters with people in PMs, but any information people want before they start discussing character building can be asked here.

I won't be working on character sheets yet, I've gotten enough interest to write out the setting information and try recruiting, but the game will definitely need more to get off the ground (and not everyone who shows interest is going to be approved).

I'm primarily looking for more interest in the aspects of the story that aren't based on TSF (so mostly female characters).

There are updates to the information I posted in the interest thread, so people who read that should look over the rules again and take a look at the new stuff.

Ron Don Volante

I do have a great interest in playing a female character though I'm going to need some time to really go through this info. But you can probably count me in if you're still okay with Lords playing females ;)
My character and plot repository

Feel free to PM me if you'd like to chat about my or your characters, plots, your work or anything that interests you.

ManyMindsManyVoices

I'm not forbidding it, it's just something I take into account when approving characters, and it will tip the scales on characters I'm unsure about.

Joslyn

Hey, I'm working on my character background and have a few setting questions. I figured I would post them in the thread in case the answers are useful to anyone else:

What is the rank structure of the TSF? How strict is the hierarchy--is it military, or more like agents who can take their own initiative so long as they aren't disobeying orders? I was also wondering how the TSF would treat my gynoid character--would she have the same level of authority as her peers, or any hope of advancement in the organization?

Divine Tenacity

Oh how could I resist now that you are putting out another call?
Group Games: 0 (pending) | Solo Games: 2  | Post(s) Owed: 2

Check out my Request Thread!

ManyMindsManyVoices

Quote from: Joslyn on June 09, 2014, 06:02:36 PM
Hey, I'm working on my character background and have a few setting questions. I figured I would post them in the thread in case the answers are useful to anyone else:

What is the rank structure of the TSF? How strict is the hierarchy--is it military, or more like agents who can take their own initiative so long as they aren't disobeying orders? I was also wondering how the TSF would treat my gynoid character--would she have the same level of authority as her peers, or any hope of advancement in the organization?

TSF does have a hierarchy, but it's looser than a normal military structure. At the bottom are the individual squad members, who generally report to their squad leader (basically the 'Red Ranger' of the group), and they report to the division commander, who reports to the people who run TSF as a whole. Nothing particularly fancy.

Knights would generally be treated on par with squad leaders, reporting to a commander but functioning on their own. However, whether other TSF squad members would listen to them (or be expected to listen to them even) would depend on if they were actually part of TSF or acting as independent contractors.

Your character would probably fall in line with being an independent contractor, or part of one of the smaller divisions that I didn't describe. We can work that out together.

I'm eventually going to setup a 'FAQ' section in one of the two threads with links to any answers I give. It won't so much be FAQs, as just Qs, though, since I'd hope not to get asked the same question if the answer is already listed.

ManyMindsManyVoices

I know I'm double posting here, but I'd prefer to keep 'FAQ' type questions in their own post when I can help it, and this post is going to be a bit more miscellaneous stuff.

Quote from: Midori Sadi on June 09, 2014, 06:06:48 PM
Oh how could I resist now that you are putting out another call?

Glad to have you interested still, by all means, PM me some basic character ideas and we can chit-chat back and forth.

I'm going to start working on 'role' information tonight, and then do some clean up and eventually decide how exactly I want to set up the OOC thread and 'FAQ' section.

There are a few players I know well and will pretty much get a pass on the approval process, I'm still vetting their characters, but I know them enough to trust them in my games. I just want to be clear about that, maybe that makes people feel I'm giving special treatment, but the point of the approval process is so that I can work with a group I feel will make for the best experience, and hopefully make it last.

MelisaArtemis

Quite interested to play guardian. A few question first though:

1. What is the character age limit and RP Category (Light, NC or Extreme)? The limit on E is 16 but having character below 18 would pretty much limit the game to either NC or Light as you'd have to cut back on the more hardcore stuff.

ManyMindsManyVoices

I almost never play Extreme games, it's just not how I roll. The game's in the NC section, and I don't have a problem with those elements, but the majority of the game will probably be Light. That said, I don't really care what people do with their characters, if all the players involved are consenting, and they take things to a private thread. If you want to take a couple characters over to Extreme Solos for a scene, go for it, just don't put too much plot driven stuff there.

As for age limit, I don't really care how old your character is as long as it doesn't get me in trouble as the game master. I don't view age (as a number) a barrier to sexual activity, but I do insist upon respecting the site rules on the matter. If that bothers anyone, please inform me.

Most characters should be above 18, but I could see a 16 or 17 year old guardian, given the trope it's based on. If there's a notable amount of distaste for that, I'll ask the player bump the character up to 18, and that will just have to be that.

MelisaArtemis

Fair enough. Do you have a character sheet or do I need to make 1 myself?

ManyMindsManyVoices

I will be making one, but for now, I'm just discussing character ideas through PM. I've got other things I want to work on before I put up a character sheet. So, when you're sure you've read whatever you need to read, and have a rough idea of what sort of character you want, PM me and we can discuss it.

ManyMindsManyVoices

I did some reorganizing, and now more stuff is up, including the Character Sheet. I'd still prefer people to discuss their characters with me a bit before just PMing me a sheet.

KC's sheet is also up on the OOC thread.

Sharon

I am going to asked if you still like to see Echo to be parted of this story? I still have her bio on back up.

ManyMindsManyVoices

The game idea has a different scale than the previous one, so she doesn't really fit in well anymore. That's why I haven't gone back and sought out the players from that game.

Sharon

ManyMindsManyVoices

So far interest has been on the side of where I can't really run the game the way I'd prefer, and that's if all the interested players work out. In my experience, that's not a good way to start things out. I'll give it the weekend, and if it falters, I'll put it away in the vault and maybe work on it some more for another time.

That isn't to say I've given up, it could pan out still, I'm erring on the side of caution. Games that force players to wait a long time to get off the ground tend to lose power.

It has given me the urge to write again, and I'm working on another idea (whether this one pans out or not). So, either way, I thank you guys for the interest thus far.

ManyMindsManyVoices

Sadly, it seems the interest for this game has not pick up. Thank you for those of you who did show interest, and I may try again sometime down the line.