Anyone else on E really excited for Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch?

Started by Galactic Druid, January 10, 2013, 02:37:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Galactic Druid

I can't even begin to explain just how pumped I really am for this game. I've been following it since it was first announced last June. A pseudo-action RPG developed by Level 5 (The Professor Layton series, Jeanne D'Arc, and the Dark Cloud Series name a few of their titles) with art by Studio Ghibli (Princess Mononoke, Kiki's Delivery Service, Spirited Away, Ponyo, many others), this game is shaping up to look like something really special.

I'm excited enough the game actually has a world map. Somewhere around the PS2 era (I blame you, FFX, the idea of an overworld to explore and secrets to find became an outdated concept. I cannot, for the life of me, understand why. The game's cast of characters looks absolutely charming from the heartstrong Oliver to Swaine, the rogue who'se hard to hate. The game itself looks nothing shy of amazing, it really does look like any of Ghibli's best movies. If I say (or look up) much more, I'd only be spoiling something for myself and others.

The only sad thing is that I really haven't seen much buzz about this game, especially from my own demographic. I'll admit my gaming tastes are a little different. Games like Ni No Kuni, Zelda, and Rayman are always near the top of my list, while your CoDs and God of War games take a much lower priority. Still, I refuse to believe I'm the only person out there who can barely contain their excitement about a game like this. Are there any other Eliiers out there getting this day one?
A/As last updated 11/27 - Halfway past busy season!

Renegade Vile

Quote from: ThatRPGuy on January 10, 2013, 02:37:40 AM

I can't even begin to explain just how pumped I really am for this game. I've been following it since it was first announced last June. A pseudo-action RPG developed by Level 5 (The Professor Layton series, Jeanne D'Arc, and the Dark Cloud Series name a few of their titles) with art by Studio Ghibli (Princess Mononoke, Kiki's Delivery Service, Spirited Away, Ponyo, many others), this game is shaping up to look like something really special.

I'm excited enough the game actually has a world map. Somewhere around the PS2 era (I blame you, FFX, the idea of an overworld to explore and secrets to find became an outdated concept. I cannot, for the life of me, understand why. The game's cast of characters looks absolutely charming from the heartstrong Oliver to Swaine, the rogue who'se hard to hate. The game itself looks nothing shy of amazing, it really does look like any of Ghibli's best movies. If I say (or look up) much more, I'd only be spoiling something for myself and others.

The only sad thing is that I really haven't seen much buzz about this game, especially from my own demographic. I'll admit my gaming tastes are a little different. Games like Ni No Kuni, Zelda, and Rayman are always near the top of my list, while your CoDs and God of War games take a much lower priority. Still, I refuse to believe I'm the only person out there who can barely contain their excitement about a game like this. Are there any other Eliiers out there getting this day one?

I am sorry to say that this is not my style of game at all. It's mostly the graphical style and the design of the characters that rubs me the wrong way. I'm not much of an anime fan to begin with and I like my characters grittier and darker or at least realistic. Also, if they are in any combat situtation at any time, I also like them to actually be wearing protective gear, wielding proper weapons and being of an age that makes sense for them to know how to defend themselves against trained soldiers or monsters. Sadly, many JRPGS do not follow those preferences, which leads me to drop such titles easily, despite other redeeming features. If the player characters do not interest me, there's little chance of me getting involved in what they are doing and thus, the whole point behind a JRPG storyline falls apart.

However, I must say it looks graphically charming and quite nice and, if it's your kind of thing, I can fully understand you're psyched to see it released.
<< Unavailable for New Games >>

Galactic Druid

Normally, I'm not really an anime nut, but I've had a weakness for studio Ghibli ever since they turned one of my favorite books, Diana Wynne Jones' 'Howl's Moving Castle', into a rather beautiful movie. I figured since we both enjoyed Valkyria this one may have appealed to you as well.

Renegade Vile

Quote from: ThatRPGuy on January 10, 2013, 03:00:29 AM
Normally, I'm not really an anime nut, but I've had a weakness for studio Ghibli ever since they turned one of my favorite books, Diana Wynne Jones' 'Howl's Moving Castle', into a rather beautiful movie. I figured since we both enjoyed Valkyria this one may have appealed to you as well.

Oh, I understand your reasoning for thinking so. I saw much of Howl's Moving Castle and, while it was a gorgeous work of art, it too wasn't my style.

SinXAzgard21

I'm getting this game.  I've been a fan of Ghibli since I was a kid and saw totoro. 
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Chris Brady

I tried the demo.  Didn't grab me.  I'll wait until reviews come out, that way I can see more than the tiny slices I got to see.  But from what I played, felt very generic.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Wolfy

Quote from: Chris Brady on January 10, 2013, 06:06:50 PM
I tried the demo.  Didn't grab me.  I'll wait until reviews come out, that way I can see more than the tiny slices I got to see.  But from what I played, felt very generic.

It's Studio Ghibli, man! STUDIO GHIBLI!

And Level 5! LEVEL 5!

D:> I fear for your soul!

Chris Brady

And?  Seriously, Miyazaki is a one note band.  Oh, sure he tells some great stories, I love Pon Poko and Spirited Away, but his constant whining over the world's ecological state is getting tiresome.

As for Ghibli itself, yeah, it's great that it managed to graphically present their anime style into a video game, but graphics don't make great game, just a pretty one.  And while, yes it is very pretty, the actual game play is the 'push button watch minor animation cut scene', a style of gameplay that was the staple of the 16 bit era, one that Square mastered, and has been trying to get away from (with varying degrees of failure) since.

I need more interactivity than what I've played through so far.  It's pretty, but it's also pretty basic.  It's mediocre at best.  But I only played the demo, maybe it gets better, I don't know yet.

Look, I understand that both the art studio and the game developer have something of a reputation, but so did Square, so it's not a guarantee of quality.  I'm going to wait until the reviews are in.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Chris Brady

Well, IGN loves it, giving it a 9.4, but they give the impression that the demo was a terrible game seller, there IS more to the game than what was shown in the demo.  I'll wait and see what the rest of the sites I hang out say.

But looks promising.

Galactic Druid

The demo was, in all honesty, slow and boring, and poorly explained. It took a character dying for me to realize that oh, I can switch the other characters mid battle! That said, the story had me really interested, and level 5 has yet to make a game I've disliked. White Knight Chronicles came close, but it really picked up after the first few hours.

Chris Brady

And White Knight Chronicles was and is one of the reasons I don't immediately assume that because a certain studio made the game, it'll be any good

Grasshopper Manufacturer and Suda 51 are also prime examples of overhyped developers.  All the games made or published have been quirky, but mediocre.

I prefer judging a game on its own merits, then letting hype or fan enthusiasm get to me.

That last sentance sounds off to me, but I can't find any alternate wording...

Renegade Vile

Quote from: Chris Brady on January 15, 2013, 01:46:17 PM
And White Knight Chronicles was and is one of the reasons I don't immediately assume that because a certain studio made the game, it'll be any good

Grasshopper Manufacturer and Suda 51 are also prime examples of overhyped developers.  All the games made or published have been quirky, but mediocre.

I prefer judging a game on its own merits, then letting hype or fan enthusiasm get to me.

That last sentance sounds off to me, but I can't find any alternate wording...

I've recently gotten White Knight Chronicles 2 and I like it so far *rubs his chin*
But on topic: I agree, I try not to let these things get to me, but I often end up on the other side of the spectrum. I try to stay neutral but hype almost always makes me dislike a game before I even try it, I can't help it, as much as I attempt to. Regardless, as was stated, unless you're an artist and turn to games ONLY for graphics, a pretty game does not make a good game. In fact, graphics is always all the way at the bottom for me. It can be an ugly game (up to a point... If your 3D looks like cr*p, then turn it into a sprite game), as long it has good gameplay, good music and good sound effects, I'll enjoy it. Depending on the genre, a good story is also a must.

Galactic Druid

So I looked at your avatar and was like "No way, is that Vile?" Then, and only then, did I finally get your screenname. I feel really slow now.

I understand not judging a game by it's dev team, I don't do it that often, I guess I just really like level 5. Suda51 is another story, however. I really enjoyed the No More Heroes games, especially the second, but those are about the only thing Suda's made that's ever really impressed me. Lollipop Chainsaw just plain looked bad to me from the beginning, and while I never tried it for myself, I couldn't believe how many people on GameFAQs seemed genuinely surprised when the game turned out to be an overhyped mess. Was it really that big a surprise?

I didn't know White Knight Chronicles even existed. I would go check that out if I wasn't expecting to get completely caught up in Ni No Kuni next week.

Teo Torriatte

WKC bored me to tears. Having said that... I really wish I could play Ni no Kuni. I have always been a really big fan of Ghibli, even if Level 5 have produced a few games I wasn't too fond of. They also made some really good ones, like Rogue Galaxy and of course Dark Cloud and DC2.

Galactic Druid

6 more days!! I'd be lying if I said I wasn't getting really excited! With the exception of Game Informer, reviews have been very positive!!

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: ThatRPGuy on January 17, 2013, 05:43:34 AM
6 more days!! I'd be lying if I said I wasn't getting really excited! With the exception of Game Informer, reviews have been very positive!!

Sad part is that most people believe in Game Informer so if it is a bad review the game is more or less gonna get blasted.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Galactic Druid

I'm hoping it won't hurt sales too much. Hopefully the rest of the world is like me and doesn't geeks more than one source. I do think it's funny the gamestop.com has IGN's review listed over their own internal magazine, on that note.

Revelation

Would love to get it this month, but I splurged out already for Fire Emblem: Awakening. That included buying a 3DS XL. I will be picking it up however, the last really good PS3 RPG I sunk my teeth into was Tales of Graces F.

Galactic Druid

Is this the 3DS you're getting, Saint?

That game was really tempting, the last 3DS title I really got absorbed in was Tales of The Abyss (big Tales fan here!), but like you, I've got enough for one game over the next few months, so it's a very easy call for Ni No Kuni.

Revelation

No, I picked up a 3DSXL (And Radiant Historia). The design of that is nice, but its a normal 3DS+The game comes preinstalled rather than separate/physical copy - Both of those are dealbreakers. The demo of Awakening was quite nice though.

Galactic Druid

How is Radiant Historia? The Chrono Trigger fan in me always wanted to give that one a shot.

Revelation

I've only played about 4 hours (Most of my recent RPG playing has been tales of Graces F. Need to continue that when I can). Its pretty neat though the time travel isn't like chrono trigger. First, the battle system focuses on positioning your enemies, and changing the action order to do combo attacks with your party. Not like the dual/tri techs from CT, but more like X attacks>Y Attacks>Z casts a spell>repeat. The bigger your combo chains, the better the bonus. Of course, if you swap order with an enemy, the enemy takes an attack. And characters who swap take extra damage before taking an action.

The Time Travel from what I understand follows two main paths, but those paths have branching points and histories that you have to switch to and from to get the best ending, and there are a few 'bad ends' in some of the timelines from what I hear.

If you want it, I definitely suggest looking locally first. The game got a limited print run and is stupendously expensive for a DS game nowadays. My ordered copy was $60 and that was the cheapest I could find with a case+instruction manual included.

How was Tales of the Abyss on 3ds? Been thinking of picking it up, since i'm digging Graces.

Edit: Speaking of, I need to also play more Persona 4: Golden. Ughhhhh why is Persona 4 so good.

Chris Brady

There needs to be more RPGs with multiple endings.  And none of this 'Good, Bad, Neutral' ones either.

Galactic Druid

That's one thing that's driven me nuts about inFamous, Fable, Bioshock, and just about everything that BioWare has ever made ever, Chris. I hate those good/evil systems, especially since the games pretend to give you choices, but really, once you make your first good or evil choice, you're kind of stuck on that path, less you want to lose whatever powers you've aquired.

I lives how Chrono Trigger did it, to be honest, 2 different endings, depending on whether you skipped tier 1 of the boss, then new game + with another 8 or so. Why can't more people do that?

That said, Radiant Historia sounds pretty cool. I'll keep my eyes open once I have money again.

Revelation

I agree, as long as the ‘good’ end isn’t hidden obtusely or you need to jump through stupid hoops to do it. I do like a bit of work, not an additional 30 hour grind for a good ending.