The Doomed Starship

Started by applesauce, June 21, 2010, 10:20:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Question Mark

This is the usual times when posting slows down.  For most people on E, it's either very late at night or just after sunrise.  I don't know about you guys, but I prefer to write when my wits are about me, usually after a nice nap.  ;)

elfguy

Will the crash occur soon?
----

applesauce

Yes, after a few more turns, something will happen. But whether or not its the crash you will have to wait to find out :)

gnoah

Im stuck on the deck, i hope Dr. parker comes back.

elfguy

Kathy can entertain anyone else who wants to go visit her. She gets lonely easily, even with all her robot friends. :P
----

gnoah

I will after I get off the deck.

Question Mark

Heh, everyone is so impatient today.  Chillax dudes y dudettes.

Question Mark

Ventilation and power, the only things keeping them alive, goes out, so they decide to play cards?  Heh, Kathy and Ziggy got what they deserved.

elfguy

Hey! we're not engineers! :(
----

gnoah

If the GM says the power goes out the power it OUT.

applesauce

Note: If any of you decide to check an error terminal that isn't on the floor in three thousand pieces, it probably says something like this:

Emergency Power Generator . . . . . . . . . . . Online
Communications Module . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . No Signal
Ventilation Systems . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . No Signal
Bridge Communicator . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . No Signal

ERROR 205AC2311 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Top Module System Signal [Packet Loss 100%]

Ship Integrity

Question Mark

Quote from: elfguy on June 28, 2010, 05:59:29 PM
Hey! we're not engineers! :(

lol, I'm not accusing you of anything.  Besides you're right.  Neither Ziggy nor Kathy have any space flight experience IIRC.  They wouldn't think what was going on was a shipwide emergency.

Quote from: gnoah on June 28, 2010, 06:11:29 PMIf the GM says the power goes out the power it OUT.

Of course, and I included that in my post :P. 

Red lights - especially strobers - make it pretty hard to see.  I believe that, if general power was lost, emergency power would trigger red "Alert!" lights before being rerouted to the systems normally powered, so that the more isolated crew would know power had been lost, but could still see and operate in a well lit environment.

applesauce

No rerouting. Electrical systems have been cut, you guys are running on generator power. Good luck maintaining. Oh, and the duct fans are all bent up, no ventilation until you find a room with a working ventilator shaft.

Question Mark

Quote from: applesauce on June 29, 2010, 01:32:19 PM
No rerouting. Electrical systems have been cut, you guys are running on generator power. Good luck maintaining. Oh, and the duct fans are all bent up, no ventilation until you find a room with a working ventilator shaft.

Quick question: if electricity has been "cut", how can we be getting energy from a generator?  I'm confused O_o

And if the duct fans are only bent up, then we should be fine.  Whew! :D  As long as the filters, cleaners, and scrubs are working, the air will be breathable.  That's a relief, considering the roleplay wouldn't be very interesting if all our characters suffocated before the third page.

elfguy

Well, either way posting seems to have been going down. I hope people keep at it, I'm liking the possibilities in this RP.
----

Question Mark

If jazz is unable to post before tonight, I'll do a quick update to keep things moving.

applesauce

Quote from: Question Mark on June 29, 2010, 05:04:52 PM
Quick question: if electricity has been "cut", how can we be getting energy from a generator?  I'm confused O_o

And if the duct fans are only bent up, then we should be fine.  Whew! :D  As long as the filters, cleaners, and scrubs are working, the air will be breathable.  That's a relief, considering the roleplay wouldn't be very interesting if all our characters suffocated before the third page.

Main electricity (Luxury lighting, and essential door equipment [Exceptions for affected nodes that are dead (much like what Elfguy and gnoah are going through right now)]) for all sectors is cut, now only emergency red/strobe lights are left on. Be careful now, we don't know what hit the ship ;) it MAY or MAY NOT have been a rock...

ragarth

Hiya, is there room in this RP for a computer systems and AI expert? If Stargate's taught me anything, it's that any contact with an alien species needs a hacker.

applesauce

Plenty of room for that. :) Post a character sheet if you're interested.

ragarth

Name: Harvey Bellarinco
Description: Blue eyes, spiky blond hair, caucasian, has a data port behind his right ear
Brief History:
From a young age Harvey was a prodigy- top of his class, and winner of the national computer neurology championship at the age of 12, his family had high hopes for his future. That all changed when a car accident resulted in a massive aneurysm, obliterating large swaths of his occipital lobe and right hemisphere. Medical technology as it was at the time, it was more viable to have the damaged areas replaced with silicon, and through scans of what was left, guesswork, and reconstruction from family history much of who Harvey was was rebuilt. After the accident, though, Harvey had changed. His brilliance survived unscathed, even enhanced by some stroke, but his behavior became more erratic and obsessive.

During his time in college, Harvey had a falling out with his family, his father never truly coping with the changes his son suffered after the accident. He cut ties with them, but to keep himself in college began offering his services online as a hacker. He made a lot of money during that time which always seemed to leave his pockets as fast as it came in, but crime is tricky, and after a friend of the family's bank account found itself empty, his father (and a sizable lawyer fee from said father) became the only thing keeping Harvey out of jail.

Harvey has since graduated from college, dual majoring in AI neuro-systems and advanced computational systems, effectively paving the way for his joining the mars project. Given the already extensive amount of cybernetics inside his skull, it was negligible to finish the outfitting with a full-immersion data port, and so the real fun began as Harvey worked on the team designing the AI systems to handle the terraforming of mars. After the design term was done, he signed up as one of the techs going to mars, if only to get away from family, and hopped the first transport out.

How's that?

applesauce

Impressive although I think the age needs to be a little older. 24 going straight to mars without any training from NASA is unheard of. Otherwise, accepted, just change your age. Maybe <26

ragarth

No problemo, was just trying to keep in the lower percentile for the game. :D It's 27 now.

I decided to shove myself in the computer core. :-) When I envisioned this character that was the entry I had in mind for him into the RP. Is the core accessible, and what information does he have from error logs/core access?

Also, since we're on a space ship, is there oxygen gear about?

edit: Just as a note, if I can get access to the core, this is my list of priorities:

1) Get a status report
2) (if I know life support is out since I'm a bit isolated) Figure out why it's down and if I can do anything about it here, even on backup power LS should still function since it's a little essential.
3) Check for any fires, if I find any, attempt to stop them via fire suppression systems, otherwise try to close ventilation and doors to isolate them and let them put themselves out
4) See if internal comms are working and try to contact others

gnoah

The male to female ratio has slipped pretty badly.

Question Mark

Quote from: ragarth on July 03, 2010, 10:23:34 AMAlso, since we're on a space ship, is there oxygen gear about?

I was wondering that too.  Not a whole lot of stuff to breathe in interplanetary space.  Given how apple has hinted at intelligent, extraterrestial intelligences orchestrating this crash though, I'm guessing they'll supply the necessary breathers.  Either that, or there are so few people left alive on the ship that oxygen consumption will be minimal, and so the O2 stores will last a very long time.  Assuming they haven't been ruptured, disconnected, or destroyed, of course.

Quote from: gnoah on July 03, 2010, 06:47:02 PMThe male to female ratio has slipped pretty badly.

So?  You don't need an even ratio to RP.  If you're looking to get Ziggy bedded, I do believe Kathy is quite open to any advances he may make.

Plus, this new ratio is awesome for all the ladies present.     O8)

ragarth

Wait, I thought I counted it out. I chose male because that gives us 1:1 male to female. Of course considering I have zero intentions to have sex in this RP, I'm not really competition. If I had intentions to screw, I would have chosen female. :-p

edit: Yep, just recounted, 4 male, 4 female