Boy Finds Rare Pink Grasshopper

Started by Bliss, September 16, 2009, 10:55:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bliss

O/O ~ Wiki ~ A/A ~ Discord: Bliss#0337
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Nimmy

Woah. When they said pink I was expecting pastel pink... not like hot neon pink. Very cool.

I was going to ask how it survived so long, but I guess the kid mistaking it initially for a flower answers that question.

Trieste

That is the raddest grasshopper ever. :)

OneOfAKiind

i'm investing in praying mantises. and if they just happen to be pink...even better.
and when you think of me years down the line, I hope you can't find one good thing to say

Oniya

Praying mantises are just cool to begin with.  I could probably make a small swarm of them very fat on Japanese beetles around here.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Trieste

But would they be invasive? Invasive species are sad. :(

Oniya

I've seen praying mantises in my area - last week, I had to run a lunch to my little one's school, and there was one sitting next to the entry-way.  We also get ladybugs, sometimes in swarm-worthy numbers.  (I think they winter inside my house.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Juicy

Bugs aren't as intimidating for me when they're pink! That's so cool.

Inkidu

Real grasshoppers wear pink. :3 Very cool. I only ever saw albino ones.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Two Faced

Very, very cool. I've never seen any green insects... I kinda dig the dragonfly, too. What a weird mutation.
A funny thing, the king who gets himself assassinated.

Oniya

Dragonflies come in all sorts of colors.  I've seen some that were an electric blue.

Two Faced

Yeah, I've seen those too-- never a crazy bright pink like that, though. Dragonflies are pretty interesting...
A funny thing, the king who gets himself assassinated.

Kip

That's brilliant.  What a fantastic find ;D

"You say good start, I say perfect ending. 
This world has no heart and mine is beyond mending."
~Jay Brannan~

"Am I an angel or a monster?  A hero or a villian? Why can't I see the difference?"
~Mohinder Suresh~

Bliss

Yeah, a friend sent me the link because of that pink dragonfly. I have a dragonfly thing; there's even one incorporated in my tattoo.

I've seen lots of green insects, but I spent a lot of time bellied down in the grass and underbrush as a kid. Aphids, praying/preying mantises (mantii?), grasshoppers, some dragonflies, and several others that I never really learned the name of... leaf bugs! Ever seen a leaf bug?

(I really should say insect instead of bug; "bug" refers to an actual, specific creature (Hymyptera? Hemoptera? Must look it up to give proper information to you guys) that has very specific mouthparts and a certain number of legs, and wings... but "bug" has been subverted through the years to refer to pretty much any insect, the way "kleenex" refers to any facial tissue, or "band-aids" to adhesive bandages.)
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Oniya

Bliss

Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3