So.. I've been on this site off and on for quite sometime...

Started by kittystar, December 27, 2010, 09:16:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kittystar

But I can't seem to find any roleplay partners. I've tried a little bit of everything, but no one really seems interested in roleplaying with me because I'm not in any "group." I'm not quite sure how to resolve this problem.

Trieste

Have you chatted with your Mentors at all? There's also a partner search that you can use, if you haven't. At the top of the page, it's under 'players'.

Lilias

I'm not sure what you mean by not being in any groups. People with similar interests tend to drift together, but there are no exclusionist cliques - we make a point in our very rules that no member can tell another member who they can and can't play with.

Perhaps your issue is the 'off and on' part. Some consistent presence could help you get to know people and spot those you'd like to write with.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

HairyHeretic

I don't believe you need to be a member of a group to get any games going.

I'll presume you've tried the normal methods of getting a game going ?
- Post your own idea's, and see who replies
- Reply to others game idea posts
- Use the search function to see who might have comparable interests to yourself and PM them
- Find someone who interests you via reading an existing story that they're running, and PM them

The first two tend to be more common, but responses to your ideas can be odd things. You might post an idea today, and it will hardly get looked at. Post the same idea a few months later and people are all over it.

If it's been a while since you posted your own ideas, maybe it's time to refresh them? The more ideas you have, the more likely it is one will appeal to someone.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Oniya

Considering the sheer number of people on Elliquiy, and the number of people that join almost daily, I doubt that not being part of a 'group' would be a factor for very long.  I looked back over your post history, and I have a few suggestions:

1) Make a link to your 'Wanted' post in your signature, the same way you've made one for your O/Os.
2) If an idea doesn't get a bite in over a month, try revising your plot list.  Rewrite with more details, throw in completely new plot ideas, that sort of thing, and put in a followup post along the lines of 'Rewrote [Plot A]' or 'Added [Plot B]'.  (Don't simply bump an old post without putting something new in there.  It's sort of like fishing:  If the fish doesn't bite the first time, you don't throw the exact same lure back in.)
3) Use the Ons & Offs button at the top of the screen to add your personal Ons and Offs to the searchable database.
4) Use the Players button at the top of the screen to do your own search for people's Ons and Offs
5) Try joining in on some of the other parts of the forum.  On Topic, Off Topic, the various Socialization boards - we're such a varied community here that there should be some thread or other that piques your interest.  I mean, we have threads on subjects ranging from fiber arts and various TV shows, to more serious subjects like science and politics.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Haibane

*hugs like mad!*

Sometimes this place can seem little daunting but there really aren't any 'groups' certainly not any closed ones or cliques. People naturally RP with people they've RPd with before and stick with their friends; that's only human nature and can be found anywhere.

When I started here I too found it pretty daunting but to get started I browsed the group games/players wanted forum and just jumped in and posted to a couple of 'interest check' threads that sounded interesting. Within a day or two I was in my first group game - only a small one between three players but it ran for a very very long time and was extremely enjoyable.

That would be my first suggestion, to investigate the group games on offer and say 'hi' in a thread or two.

You can also browse the 1-on-1 threads. There are a lot of these though! You may be more lucky than I and find what you want. Even if you don't, chatting to people via PM can open up new doors in itself.

You could start your own thread if you have a game idea of your own.

Have you written out your ons and offs yet? You can do this in two places, here or using the newer matrix system which you'll find the tab for at the very top of every page marked 'ons and offs'. I do recommend you set up a forum thread for your O/Os because it is much more visible. Whenever I edit mine I always always get one or two players sending me a PM because they have come across it by chance with the 'new' tab next to it which has made them click on it.

Or you could join in some of the threads in the non-RPing forums, just join in the fun and be yourself and see if you can make friends that way.

Silverfyre

Quote from: kittystar on December 27, 2010, 09:16:00 AM
But I can't seem to find any roleplay partners. I've tried a little bit of everything, but no one really seems interested in roleplaying with me because I'm not in any "group." I'm not quite sure how to resolve this problem.

Hello there!

I just noticed that your last real active post was back in June of 2009.  Perhaps it's time for you to put up another "Rp wanted" thread in the forum section that interests you, as your old one has long since dropped off due to inactivity.  You have to get out there and post to generate interest.  Send some PMs to people whose ideas interest you.  Be pro-active!

Good luck!