The Neighbors Aren't From Around Here ("V"-Re-Imagining)

Started by OldSchoolGamer, March 11, 2009, 07:30:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldSchoolGamer

It was a typical late-spring day in Southern California in 1983 when they came.

But there were no spaceships, no fanfare, no lights in the sky.  Just a moving van that pulled up to 1066 Tamarack Lane in the L.A. suburb of Barlowe Heights.  It was a rental, and after it pulled into the driveway, the diesel engine sputtered to a halt, and out stepped a fortysomething man, a pretty blonde, and two college-age sons.  They talked in English, in an accent that couldn't quite be placed.  A Middle American-looking family, right down to the dutiful father fussing with his youngest son's tie, and the wife commenting on the brown spot on the lawn.

Except that the family wasn't from Middle America.  Or anyplace else anyone knew about.  They weren't from around here.  They were from a long ways away...

This is a re-imagining of the "V" science fiction series.  There will be few if any canon characters, because the style of the invasion is different.  In this version, advance scouts are placed to quietly infiltrate Earth society before the motherships show up.  They seek to blend into human society, to study us...to learn our weaknesses.

As this is Elliquiy, there's a darkly erotic twist to this re-imagining.  These Visitors want our water and resources...but also have another need.  The same environmental damage to the Visitor homeworld that destroyed the water supply there has also rendered the species nearly infertile.  Over the past generation, the birth rate on their homeworld has plunged nearly 80%.  Their scientists have concluded that, in another ten years, the procreation of the species will be less than 2% of what it had been a century ago.

Unless the Visitors can find another sentient, humanoid species to bear their young...

This story will be a mystery and a tale of dark intrigue...so if you're looking for laser-gun action and starships, this probably isn't for you.  This story will instead center on discovery of the Visitors and their agenda, and the dynamics of a more advanced civilization encountering and exploiting a less advanced.  There will be conflict, but this is a thinking person's story.  And alien-human sex, much of it nonconsensual.

PeacethatPowerbrings

I'm in, I used to watch V when I could, it was a rather cool, if kind of campy, series.
I am filled with recollections of lives I have not lived.

OldSchoolGamer

Quote from: PeacethatPowerbrings on March 11, 2009, 09:13:00 PM
I'm in, I used to watch V when I could, it was a rather cool, if kind of campy, series.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, camp and all.  I'm going to preserve the core concepts, but add a dash of "They Live" and fully explore the sexual aspects of alien colonization and domination.

PeacethatPowerbrings

Yeah, a bit of "They Live" would fit with the infiltration aspect of it. Don't you love how everyone doesn't bother to question why aliens look exactly like us? Somehow it comes as a shock that they're lizard/reptile people. Good times.

OldSchoolGamer

Go ahead and create a character.  The neighborhood is upper-middle class.

I'm open to the idea of multiple threads if you'd rather start out somewhere other than "Pleasant Valley."

PeacethatPowerbrings

What characters were you looking for? A rediculously average household for the visitors? A father, a mother a daughter a son? Plus Neighbours? Thats what I was thinking.

OldSchoolGamer

I was picturing neighbors...they could come from almost any walk of life, be any occupation.  I'm open to other ideas for characters too.

PeacethatPowerbrings

OldSchoolGamer

Yes...at least mostly.  I'd pick up some human NPCs, maybe let a couple Visitors be picked up by players.

PeacethatPowerbrings

Fair enough, well, I think I'll reserve judgement on my character until there is a bit more interest, I'm not sure what I'm going to do for it just yet.

OldSchoolGamer

Okay, sounds good.  I suspect the idea will attract more interest...one time awhile back I ran the idea of a "V"-based game up the flagpole, and quite a few people saluted.

OldSchoolGamer

Anyone else interested?  This launches on Tuesday whether I have one player or six.

OldSchoolGamer

Crovonovin

I must say that my interest is peaked.  Most sci-fi tends towards the futuristic, so there's simply not enough old-fashioned X-files-esque, town-level mystery anymore.  I assume we'll be posting our characters in another topic, once this starts up?  I've got an idea...  Either a former cop, or one that's been shunted into a desk job for one reason or another. 

OldSchoolGamer

Excellent...we have enough players to start this now.  I'll be writing up an intro shortly.  The game is still open is anyone else wishes to join.

OldSchoolGamer

The houses in the area are:

1066 Tamarack Lane (the Visitors themselves) *TAKEN by GM*
1064 Tamarack Lane (the house to the north, next to the bedrooms) * TAKEN by PeaceThatPowerBrings *
1068 Tamarack Lane (the house to the south, next to the garage and kitchen)
1067 Tamarack Lane (across the street) * TAKEN by Phaia *
1052 Pine Avenue (across the back fence) * TAKEN by Shihong *

Players who have announced an interest but not yet claimed a specific house are:
all players who have expressed an interest have claimed their houses

Note that I am also open to the idea of characters other than neighbors who come into contact with the Visitors in one way or another.  I merely used the neighborhood idea as a starting point.

Crovonovin

I'll be happy to take 1052 Pine Avenue.  Is the actual character-thread going to be put up soon?

OldSchoolGamer

Quote from: Shihong on March 21, 2009, 07:01:17 PM
I'll be happy to take 1052 Pine Avenue.  Is the actual character-thread going to be put up soon?

I updated the house list accordingly.

Yes...I hope to have it up later tonight.  My job threw me a schedule change, however, so there may be a slight delay.

PeacethatPowerbrings

OldSchoolGamer

OldSchoolGamer