I'd need some help! Please! ;D

Started by Nico, May 04, 2010, 02:17:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nico

Okay, here is the deal.

A good friend of mine is getting married soon and...I am at a total loss as to what to give her as a gift.

So, Elliquiy, I ask you.

What do you give a bride for the wedding?

P.S.: Nothing kinky, please. I don't think this is really called for, as wedding gift.

Muninn

I think wedding gifts are even harder to purchase than birthday gifts!! Does the bride have a bridal registry thingy at any store? Besides that less personal approach is she one who enjoys being pampered? I recall you like to take trips down to a spa to get pampered and have a lovely weekend, would that be a possible and reasonable gift idea? I don't know if your friend enjoys that sort of thing!

In any case, I hope you are able to find something. :)

HairyHeretic

My understanding is most couples now set up a gift register, so it's just a matter of picking stuff off that list. I'd check for one of those first.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Kip

The last few weddings I've been to have been for close friends of mine and I've actually picked one of the parts of the wedding and paid for it for them - they loved that :D

Aside from that, most do indeed have a registry and that makes it really easy as you can find something that they want and that suits you (generally - I was a bit late once and got left with a cheese grater and an apple corer... expensive thangs they were too!)

"You say good start, I say perfect ending. 
This world has no heart and mine is beyond mending."
~Jay Brannan~

"Am I an angel or a monster?  A hero or a villian? Why can't I see the difference?"
~Mohinder Suresh~

Beguile's Mistress

If it's a personal gift from you to her something like a picture frame with an engraved message is nice, or something that represents a special time the two of you shared.  I once received a small and well-done (and inexpensive) painting by a local artist of a scene where my friend and I had a wonderful day.

The painting also works as a gift for the couple if you can find one depicting or representing someplace special to the two of them.  Another nice idea is giving them the wine glasses for their first toast, the knife and server for cutting their cake or a framed and/or preserved wedding invitation.  Talk to her mother or maid of honor about those ideas and ask them for suggestions.

Of course, none of these may work for you but they may give you other ideas.

Lady Annabelle

Quote from: HairyHeretic on May 04, 2010, 03:09:29 AM
My understanding is most couples now set up a gift register, so it's just a matter of picking stuff off that list. I'd check for one of those first.

YES!

This statement!

As a bride-to-be who is currently beginning to receive gifts, please use the gift register.  Yes, it can seem kind of strange and out of place to pick a gift out, but it is the best way.  When we registered, we registered for stuff we do not own.  That is what they are there for so you do not buy something that they already own.

However, if you very close to the bride and groom, then you are allowed to give something more personal.  Most registry items are for kitchenware or basic items you need around the house.  You wouldn't give a vacuum to somebody you love getting married in the first place.  Then, you can buy them something sentimental and from the heart.  For example, one of my bridesmaids already gave me her gift and she didn't use any of my registries.

So, it all depends on how close you are to this 'good friend'.  :D
All About Me  Where Am I?  Pixi's Twin  Miss Marguerite's Wife **True Girl Gamer**

"If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; But if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger: I should not seem a part of it." ~ Emily Bronte

"My heart beat so hard when I was near him, I feared he could hear my secret longing for him." ~ Destiny Vaestus

Ket

Quote from: Kip on May 04, 2010, 04:24:05 AM
The last few weddings I've been to have been for close friends of mine and I've actually picked one of the parts of the wedding and paid for it for them - they loved that :D

This. In the past I have coordinated with who was paying for the honeymoon and paid for a night or two at the place they were staying, or for a surprise spa treatment while they were there or for champagne/dinner what not.
she wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

you can find me on discord Ket#8117
Ons & Offs~Menagerie~Pulse~Den of Iniquity
wee little Ketlings don't yet have the ability to spit forth flame with the ferocity needed to vanquish a horde of vehicular bound tiny arachnids.

Nico

Thank you all so much for the good ideas! It really helped! ;D
Love ya!

HockeyGod

Quote from: Ket on May 04, 2010, 10:45:41 PM
This. In the past I have coordinated with who was paying for the honeymoon and paid for a night or two at the place they were staying, or for a surprise spa treatment while they were there or for champagne/dinner what not.

I'm with Ket. I typically purchase a nice dinner for them at a fancy restaurant.