Somewhere between Waking and Sleeping (M for F)

Started by Dakfrost, October 04, 2012, 02:50:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dakfrost

I decided to post this request separately from my main request thread because of the specific nature of the RP I'm looking for.

I am a huge fan of the movie "Lost in Translation" and would like to explore a similar premise within an RP. The idea of two lost souls wandering an exotic and extraordinary city in which they are completely isolated and happen upon each other is intriguing. The way in which Charlotte and Bob's flowering friendship skirts the edges of a love affair but never actually crosses that line is a wonderful departure from the typical love story.  Exploring issues of choice, commitment, love lost and found, and the notion of unrealized possibilities.

I picture a story taking place in a similar setting, possibly within Japan or China, in which our two characters are there for business and not by choice, neither being able to speak the language. I see my character as being a jazz musician who is in the city to play a few weeks worth of gigs at a chic hotel or jazz club to help pay the bills and continue to keep his dream of being a professional musician alive. The hotel has hired a backup band for him that knows his set but doesn't speak a word of English and he struggles to connect to them. He has left his girlfriend at home and spends his days listlessly wandering the city, not knowing anyone and unfamiliar with the local customs. I'll leave the specifics of your character up to you.

Cheers