News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Vampire the Masquerade / Vampire the Requiem [an idle chit chat thread]

Started by Blythe, December 17, 2017, 05:41:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blythe

I made this just for an idle place to chat about these two tabletop games specifically, as I am a huge fan of them and can never get enough of them. Anyone is welcome to come chat about these systems, whatever edition of them you might play.

Blythe

wander

Would this be for other wod lines if they happen to cross into the Vampire stuff (especially owod)? I dig Vampire, would love to talk on World of Darkness/Chronicles of Darkness stuff, though I have a great love for the others line too.  :-)

Blythe

toreador

Yaaay!
(Now here at my home there's two STs discussing about VtR and one of them explained me that one of the bloodline you mentioned, (The thing about "Judas", I can't remember) that's a Ventrue bloodline <3)

And about The Galloi, they're quite interesting per se, but for me, one of the best bloodlines/clan itself. The concept they need regular bloodbathes to keep their beauty, the crude of their Goddess (Cybelle, if I'm spelling it rightly, if not, please, correct me), a blood goddess and all the cult around the main discipline, Tarobolium.... Idk, it appeals highly on me. Monsters with an angelical face, it matches my favorite character @ Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles, Armand.

If you want, check the Legendary Bloodlines handbook, it's fascinating!

Did you, Blythe, readed the Masquerade clan romances? I only did the first two (Toreador and Tzimisce) and fell absolutely in love <3 I ought to buy the whole package, whenever I have the money for it hhahhahahaha
(Btw, the main character at the Tzimisce clan romance is absurdly stunning, acts, thoughs, gestures, appearance... I was in awe in a certain scene...)
"And under this carnival disguise, the heart of an old youngster who is still waiting to give his all. But how to be recognized under this mask? This is what they call a fine career."

Jean Anouilh, The Waltz of the Toreadors

Blythe

For the clan romances--are you referring to some of the literary fiction that was published? I have some of the non-tabletop fiction, though I don't own all of them. They are surprisingly difficult for me to get hard copies of where I live, and by the time I find them online to order, I almost always get distracted by buying something else. (Some days I have the attention span of a gnat, I swear. >_< )

For the Galloi, I think they are interesting because they seem to clearly inspired by an actual historical figure as well as other aspects of more bloody religious rituatls: Elizabeth Báthory. At least, that was the feeling I got from them when I was reading about how the blood makes the Galloi beautiful again!

As for their Discipline of Tarobolium, I've never actually gotten to play a Galloi! Their Discipline is structured very differently than other Disciplines. I always wonder if it plays well in-game? I do own the Legendary bloodlines book! I would have to say that I really like the Melissidae out of that book. They have such a strange social structure, and I love the insect themes for them. They sort of remind me of the Dark Ages Baali from Vampire the Masquerade--the Baali that followed the Via Hyron in particular.

But if you like Anne Rice vampires, I am not surprised by how much you love the Toreador clan! They are clearly very inspired by Anne Rice's vampires.

toreador

Quote from: Blythe on December 17, 2017, 06:08:09 PM
For the clan romances--are you referring to some of the literary fiction that was published? I have some of the non-tabletop fiction, though I don't own all of them. They are surprisingly difficult for me to get hard copies of where I live, and by the time I find them online to order, I almost always get distracted by buying something else. (Some days I have the attention span of a gnat, I swear. >_< )

For the Galloi, I think they are interesting because they seem to clearly inspired by an actual historical figure as well as other aspects of more bloody religious rituatls: Elizabeth Báthory. At least, that was the feeling I got from them when I was reading about how the blood makes the Galloi beautiful again!

As for their Discipline of Tarobolium, I've never actually gotten to play a Galloi! Their Discipline is structured very differently than other Disciplines. I always wonder if it plays well in-game? I do own the Legendary bloodlines book! I would have to say that I really like the Melissidae out of that book. They have such a strange social structure, and I love the insect themes for them. They sort of remind me of the Dark Ages Baali from Vampire the Masquerade--the Baali that followed the Via Hyron in particular.

But if you like Anne Rice vampires, I am not surprised by how much you love the Toreador clan! They are clearly very inspired by Anne Rice's vampires.

I was referring to the romances that gave the "signs of Gehenna" (I think it's one per clan, being 13 in total, starting with Toreador, than moves to Tzimisce and so on)... And yes, here's a problem too </3 Devir, the book publisher of both White Wolf and Onyx Path Publishing, limit their copies and I'm in no situation to go and shop all of them suddenly, when it goes in stock... Pitty, the books are tooi good. And for me, myself, to import, the dollar is high, even if books don't get taxed here, the shipping and everything are such a headache... So I'm fancying buying the e-books, I can read in english, so I can't get all the shipping and the mail problems I would have with a pysical book (Pitty[2] bc the images are too awesome for only a pdf!).

Yes, Elizabeth Bathory was probably the main inspiration for the clan, but I, well, let's say I have a fancy for the occult, then the goddess version of the story told at the book is more appealing for me hahahahha The bloodbaths are certainly one thing that makes a Galloi and Elizabeth Bathory is such a rich historical figure I can't lie that I have a passion for her image <3

Uhn, I'm playing (Never give up, Inverno Eterno! hahhahaha) a Galloi in a Russian themed table and I can say it works pretty well! Not the way as an instant action discipline, but  I could exploit all the advantages of it (including buying my place at the city, then destroying the Prince's puppet's puppet Pyert [my chara] gave to him, in front of him and the Prince. I lost one Humanity point doing that, it was so strong on me, the whole scene, I feel excited whenever I remember it! <3 I can pom you with a short version of it, as it's kinda... Disturbing to post here openly.), that included my touchstone, that was a product of two ghouls with Tarobolium and Pyert has very paternal feelings towards his ts, wich IS both problematic (It's a human, anyways) and creepy to roleplay (Wich I find very fun.... Well, Pyert IS a monster in it's concept and in his mind, and it's an experiment I'm doing <3 and loving it).

Oh, I only readed the Galloiu bloodline at the handbook, now I asked my brother about that - Melissidae - bloodline and he explained a bit for me and now I'm cringing to read about them!!! And the Baali woaaaaah!!! So much to read about them, so little I know, but I tend to like tey anyways hahahahha

Oh, well, I like Anne Rice, but Armand is obviously a Galloi. And my favorites characters are well... taking Louis apart - bc he IS the Toreador himself, for goddess' sake - Clearly members of other clans. Take Merrick, Claudia, Benji, Daniel and David, and you have my list of favorites hahhhahahhahah try to guess wich clan I put each one ;)

The Toreador - that's my artistic name in general - is brutally influenced by the Toreador clanbooks, the concept of them temselves, the art, the angst, the decay... it's all beauty and I admit to fell in a kind of trance in certain.,.. cough cough, art momments. Ok, got too carried!!!!
"And under this carnival disguise, the heart of an old youngster who is still waiting to give his all. But how to be recognized under this mask? This is what they call a fine career."

SithLordOfSnark

Always looking for roleplays, just keep in mind that I' m not a fast poster.

On's & Off's | Request Thread | A & A

Buffy the Vampire Slayer CYOA |
Eternal Nights (VtM) Interest Check  | Buffy: After the End Interest Check

eavatar

Quote from: toreador on December 17, 2017, 06:58:34 PM

Uhn, I'm playing (Never give up, Inverno Eterno! hahhahaha) a Galloi in a Russian themed table and I can say it works pretty well! Not the way as an instant action discipline, but  I could exploit all the advantages of it (including buying my place at the city, then destroying the Prince's puppet's puppet Pyert [my chara] gave to him, in front of him and the Prince. I lost one Humanity point doing that, it was so strong on me, the whole scene, I feel excited whenever I remember it! <3 I can pom you with a short version of it, as it's kinda... Disturbing to post here openly.), that included my touchstone, that was a product of two ghouls with Tarobolium and Pyert has very paternal feelings towards his ts, wich IS both problematic (It's a human, anyways) and creepy to roleplay (Wich I find very fun.... Well, Pyert IS a monster in it's concept and in his mind, and it's an experiment I'm doing <3 and loving it).

*Sneezes*Atchoo!*Sneezes* I am feeling my baby bro is talking about my idle VtR game. I swear it is coming back, because you still need to retake Moscow's necropolis and Pietr need to have another chat with Antonov ~HEEL your worthless pagan~

But it is amazing see another VtR fan. Our lil game deserve a lot more love and visibility.

Blythe

Oh, are you one of the STs toreador was talking about, eavatar?  :D

I've never played a game set in Russia; I bet that has to be super amazing. Most games I play are set in the USA, but there are so many other good settings outside the USA. One of these days I will have to play a game where the setting isn't the USA!

For the signs of Gehenna you mention, toreador, are you referring to the Transylvania Chronicles? I think those are the novels where the individual clan signs of Gehenna are revealed. ^^

As for going the e-book route, I can highly recommend it. It has saved me a lot of money. So long as you have a reliable computer, going digital has some really good benefits.

I'll post more thoughts about the games in a little bit. :)

toreador

Quote from: Blythe on December 17, 2017, 08:51:20 PM

I've never played a game set in Russia; I bet that has to be super amazing. Most games I play are set in the USA, but there are so many other good settings outside the USA. One of these days I will have to play a game where the setting isn't the USA!

For the signs of Gehenna you mention, toreador, are you referring to the Transylvania Chronicles? I think those are the novels where the individual clan signs of Gehenna are revealed. ^^

As for going the e-book route, I can highly recommend it. It has saved me a lot of money. So long as you have a reliable computer, going digital has some really good benefits.

I'll post more thoughts about the games in a little bit. :)

Yes, he is. Shame on him. Shame on him.

But yeah, Eavatar is an amazing ST <3 By far, the best I had. And his Russia is suberb <3 (as well as his NY, believe me!!)

Oh, I didn't know it had a name! Here in Brazil we only call them "clan romances". Thanks for the info <3

And please, keep sharing your thoughts <3 it's kinda rare for me to socialize with VtM players here in Rio, because.. welll... They're kinda... ~sighs~ You know...

Quote from: eavatar on December 17, 2017, 08:43:42 PM
*Sneezes*Atchoo!*Sneezes* I am feeling my baby bro is talking about my idle VtR game. I swear it is coming back, because you still need to retake Moscow's necropolis and Pietr need to have another chat with Antonov ~HEEL your worthless pagan~

But it is amazing see another VtR fan. Our lil game deserve a lot more love and visibility.

Mark my words: Pyert WILL take the Necropolis AND populate it with his ghouls!
And about Anthonov, _we have to discuss, bc well, we're brothers and I do have a crush on him_

Pyert: Why....

Shut up. Just do it.

Pyert: ~kneels, for knowing it' the best thing to do... for now~

eavatar

Quote from: Blythe on December 17, 2017, 08:51:20 PM

Yes I am. I have my own lil Dark universe for the whole Chronicle of Darkness. Many elements of this universe came from my observations from people playing here on E. (if you are curious Toreador, Torah and Titania idea came from a couple of RPs I followed here on E. As well Dandelion's lil black book)

But about Moscow. I chose to run Inverno Eterno (Eternal Winter) because I have some fascination about russian history and mythology (russian vampire folk tales are very interesting) and because Russia inspires me a more severe mood. A ruthless city, with ruthless vampires and a lot of room to bring dangerous and toxic relationships, because that is a personal vision I have about vampire and vampire related chronicles. We are playing stories about toxic people and toxic relationships.

eavatar

Quote from: toreador on December 17, 2017, 09:01:21 PM

But yeah, Eavatar is an amazing ST <3 By far, the best I had. And his Russia is suberb <3 (as well as his NY, believe me!!)

And there goes the bad boy reputation... Anyway, a good ST can be as good as the players he has. So you are a great player too (you just need learn how to get more group opportunities. Your text rp sensibility is great, but you need work  with the group a little more

Mark my words: Pyert WILL take the Necropolis AND populate it with his ghouls!
And about Anthonov, _we have to discuss, bc well, we're brothers and I do have a crush on him_

Pyert: Why....

Shut up. Just do it.

Pyert: ~kneels, for knowing it' the best thing to do... for now~

About Antonov, you was the one who wished explore him more. You were the one who opted to dive at the pool of problems which Lancea et Sanctum are in Moscow. And he is an harpy and he was a Teutonic knight, so you know how nice he was before hand.

But back again to my insights about the world building and other things.

Eternal Winter is a game which I used some world building and city building tools I read at Fate Core and Spark for Fate books, I talked with the players and I had collected their opinions and impressions. Antonov was created based on Toreador's plot and interaction preferences, as well the whole Necropolis plot. I am glad VtR2 gave me room to shape the things like I enjoy. But I started the whole Moscow idea with just two facts in my mind

1) Carthians ruled Moscow since 1919 and they did a major witch hunt and made several old get into torpor
2) The city is ruled by Invictus and they have Lancea suport

Everything else was created side by side with  the players.

TheHighwayHitman

I am following this now. I'm always curious to pick brains of other Storytellers. I like to think I am one of the best there is, but I also don't follow "traditional" paths a lot of storytellers take to being good. I don't for example, go with the whole "woe is me I'm a damned monster" theme and I don't look for tge eternal darkness or the angsty city. I also keep things simple. You don't see crazy bloodlines or get to meet with sixth generation elders, or walk around with battle axes hidden in a trenchcoat.

I go with domineering, the villain is right, reality wins, and people love action themes. Few things irritate a harpy as much as somebody thinking they're cool in a trilby. Neither the prince nor the seneschal have time for your sorry neophyte hide, and those two Brujah ghouls with AK-47s are tougher than you. I use elements like that, and it tends to create a very cerebral game for most of my players. Of course, I do always seem to have one Gangrel that wants to show their claws, and then wonders why they are destroyed as a Masquerade breach after the second session.

So now I am curious. How do you find your voice for the theme of a specific game or story? How do you avoid the monotony of telling the same stories again and again? And what material do you disregard or alter as part of your standard "house rules?"

Thanks!

SithLordOfSnark

Quote from: TheHighwayHitman on December 17, 2017, 10:21:53 PM
I am following this now. I'm always curious to pick brains of other Storytellers. I like to think I am one of the best there is, but I also don't follow "traditional" paths a lot of storytellers take to being good. I don't for example, go with the whole "woe is me I'm a damned monster" theme and I don't look for tge eternal darkness or the angsty city. I also keep things simple. You don't see crazy bloodlines or get to meet with sixth generation elders, or walk around with battle axes hidden in a trenchcoat.

I go with domineering, the villain is right, reality wins, and people love action themes. Few things irritate a harpy as much as somebody thinking they're cool in a trilby. Neither the prince nor the seneschal have time for your sorry neophyte hide, and those two Brujah ghouls with AK-47s are tougher than you. I use elements like that, and it tends to create a very cerebral game for most of my players. Of course, I do always seem to have one Gangrel that wants to show their claws, and then wonders why they are destroyed as a Masquerade breach after the second session.

So now I am curious. How do you find your voice for the theme of a specific game or story? How do you avoid the monotony of telling the same stories again and again? And what material do you disregard or alter as part of your standard "house rules?"

Thanks!

The core books are the only books that make up my rules - Anything else, I decide based on the member base.
Always looking for roleplays, just keep in mind that I' m not a fast poster.

On's & Off's | Request Thread | A & A

Buffy the Vampire Slayer CYOA |
Eternal Nights (VtM) Interest Check  | Buffy: After the End Interest Check

Thorne

I haven't played since V:tM was what there was (mostly) for WoD; and I got soured on the whole thing because ... well, one too many people who figured blowing things up was the right way to handle everything, and the GM wasn't willing to tell 'em 'no' and then have their characters staked if they did it anyway. Even as a player I'm generally only willing to suspend disbelief so far on what isn't going to get noticed. Parts of that go out the window where the Sabbat are concerned, but I never much liked the rampage-happy monster thing that most people want to play them as. If the majority have been around for a while, it seems they'd be a bit smarter than that!

I haven't seen very much of the newer stuff, I stopped paying attention when Requiem came out and they did some stuff that I couldn't get my head around. So a lot of this is /fascinating/, but very confusing. ^^;
Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

Blythe

Thanks!

I have a really 'open' sort of style, but lately I've played more online than in-person. The games I ST are typically large 'sandbox' games, as this has typically helped capture that active city feeling that I really crave. My approaches are character-driven; plots happen in response to the player characters actively wanting something and going to get it, because I'm a huge fan of players motivating themselves. This tends to really help me not tell the same stories over and over again--players get surprisingly creative once they realize that they're in the driver's seat. It also lets me, the ST, be surprised from time to time. Rather than have a linear plot driven by NPCs, which often results in a higher workload for me, I can have a few little plots here and there, but mostly I can build a world and then react to what my players do in it.

My NPCs tend to vary, because I tend to accommodate multiple playstyles from people. If I use Methuselahs or low-generation vampires, they aren't going to always willy-nilly throw around their power, and sometimes they are going to be vulnerable to things, despite all their potent blood. (Example: I have a Gangrel Methuselah who is trying to learn to use a cell phone. She is decidedly not enjoying learning and periodically just breaks the darn thing and commands neonates or servants to carry messages instead when she's not willing to go herself). This doesn't mean PCs shouldn't be cautious--actions have consequences. But I very much like to reward daring or clever players, and I especially enjoy political intrigue in general.

I have a VtM game here on Elliquiy that reached Big Group status; it currently has twelve players, not counting myself or my co-ST (who took up the mantle of co-ST at my request when the game qualified to be a Big Group). If one counts us, that's 14 people. Because I tend to run for larger groups that are friendly to new players to the system, I tend to have to throw away a lot of metaplot (usually there's no Week of Nightmares, I usually keep the Gangrel in the Camarilla, and I almost always have to restrict the Tremere in some capacity), because the metaplot is often just not new player friendly. Using some of the established White Wolf NPCs, many of which are annoyingly OP, can dishearten players, so I do not typically ever use them. I just make my own and try to emphasize the PCs are the stars, not the NPCs.

I wouldn't say I'm one of the best STs there is, but my players have generally been happy with me, so I like to think I am doing something right.  ;D

Quote from: eavatar on December 17, 2017, 09:05:53 PM
Yes I am. I have my own lil Dark universe for the whole Chronicle of Darkness. Many elements of this universe came from my observations from people playing here on E. (if you are curious Toreador, Torah and Titania idea came from a couple of RPs I followed here on E. As well Dandelion's lil black book)

But about Moscow. I chose to run Inverno Eterno (Eternal Winter) because I have some fascination about russian history and mythology (russian vampire folk tales are very interesting) and because Russia inspires me a more severe mood. A ruthless city, with ruthless vampires and a lot of room to bring dangerous and toxic relationships, because that is a personal vision I have about vampire and vampire related chronicles. We are playing stories about toxic people and toxic relationships.

That sounds like a game I'd find pretty cool; I love character-driven games, and stories that are all about the relationship between people and how they go toxic are definitely one fun way to play VtM or VtR. :)

Plus, Russian mythology is just awesome. My favorite deity in that mythology has always been Byelobog/Czernabog. :)

Oh, I didn't know it had a name! Here in Brazil we only call them "clan romances". Thanks for the info <3

And please, keep sharing your thoughts <3 it's kinda rare for me to socialize with VtM players here in Rio, because.. welll... They're kinda... ~sighs~ You know...

Ah, I can sympathize. It can be hard to find people interested in tabletop rpgs in general, and I can imagine how difficult it must be to find people specifically interested in VtM or VtR. Where I live, Dungeons and Dragons is the more popular game, but I have sometimes been able to find people to play VtM or VtR, if only rarely!

Sooner or later, I need to try to play a Ravnos in VtM. They are probably one of the few Clans I've never really gotten the hang of. I like them; I just have no idea how to play them.

For VtR, I still need to play a Mehket at some point.  I like them, but I haven't played VtR in a while, and they are probably the one Clan in VtR I've never really learned to roleplay well. But I'll settle for a Ventrue any day of the week in VtR. I love my Ventrues in VtR. Or Nosferatus. :)

TheHighwayHitman

I like that response Blythe. I'd like to take a look and maybe make it 15 if there are available openings. I do tend to favor Ventrue, and Lasombra characters equally. I loathe Ravnos, Malkavians, and poorly played Assamites. I would love to play an Assamite that ISN'T centered on killing everything and have an ST trust me not to, even if I do occassionally make it seem like I might.

Character driven games often seem to be the best, but as an ST I often find myself with players who can't think of what they want to do next, or just prefer to go with whatever. I also get a lot of players who then either want to do things I have no need to respond too since it literally has them sitting in their haven all night, or they decide they are going to wax their sire, or the prince, etc. I'm often like, *Eye Roll* You know you're asking for a miracle and years worth of playtime just to have a shot at that, right? Lets think a little more realistic for a 12 year old kindred. How about acquiring a million bucks or getting a chunk of domain, or getting the boons you need so the Harpy Queen will actually let you in the cool club?

eavatar

<snip>

Thanks!

I have a different take about VtR and VtM. I never considered it a "gothic" something game. I always considered it Urban Fantasy, because I knew how the "standard player" would act in game.  And considering it is a urban fantasy and not gothic punk, I have a wide range of stories options. Since the need to keep the supernatural community hidden till face the city problems, like excesses commited against outsider groups (natural or supernatural) or gentrification (you know, somebody else haven became part of a trendy hood making the vampire life harder)

eavatar

Quote from: Blythe on December 17, 2017, 11:34:22 PM
I have a really 'open' sort of style, but lately I've played more online than in-person. The games I ST are typically large 'sandbox' games, as this has typically helped capture that active city feeling that I really crave. My approaches are character-driven; plots happen in response to the player characters actively wanting something and going to get it, because I'm a huge fan of players motivating themselves. This tends to really help me not tell the same stories over and over again--players get surprisingly creative once they realize that they're in the driver's seat. It also lets me, the ST, be surprised from time to time. Rather than have a linear plot driven by NPCs, which often results in a higher workload for me, I can have a few little plots here and there, but mostly I can build a world and then react to what my players do in it.

My NPCs tend to vary, because I tend to accommodate multiple playstyles from people. If I use Methuselahs or low-generation vampires, they aren't going to always willy-nilly throw around their power, and sometimes they are going to be vulnerable to things, despite all their potent blood. (Example: I have a Gangrel Methuselah who is trying to learn to use a cell phone. She is decidedly not enjoying learning and periodically just breaks the darn thing and commands neonates or servants to carry messages instead when she's not willing to go herself). This doesn't mean PCs shouldn't be cautious--actions have consequences. But I very much like to reward daring or clever players, and I especially enjoy political intrigue in general.

I have a VtM game here on Elliquiy that reached Big Group status; it currently has twelve players, not counting myself or my co-ST (who took up the mantle of co-ST at my request when the game qualified to be a Big Group). If one counts us, that's 14 people. Because I tend to run for larger groups that are friendly to new players to the system, I tend to have to throw away a lot of metaplot (usually there's no Week of Nightmares, I usually keep the Gangrel in the Camarilla, and I almost always have to restrict the Tremere in some capacity), because the metaplot is often just not new player friendly. Using some of the established White Wolf NPCs, many of which are annoyingly OP, can dishearten players, so I do not typically ever use them. I just make my own and try to emphasize the PCs are the stars, not the NPCs.

I wouldn't say I'm one of the best STs there is, but my players have generally been happy with me, so I like to think I am doing something right.  ;D

That sounds like a game I'd find pretty cool; I love character-driven games, and stories that are all about the relationship between people and how they go toxic are definitely one fun way to play VtM or VtR. :)

Plus, Russian mythology is just awesome. My favorite deity in that mythology has always been Byelobog/Czernabog. :)

Character driven is the best way to run games like VtR/VtM. Of course, it requires a lot of ST preparation and a lot of communication, because you need to understand the players preferences and what they are loving at this moment.

About Russian inspiration, I got a lot of inspiration from russian folklore. So I did a brief research at Project Gutenberg to get some mythology dictionaries and folk tales collections. Even less accurate or analysed under late 19th/early 20th century theories and preconcepts, it is something valid to read and get inspiration.

BTW I recommend anyone wishing to run a game envolving supernatural russian elements read this folk tales collection. http://www.gutenberg.org/files/22373/22373-h/22373-h.htm Some of that folk tales inspired me at the side cast construction.

Quote from: Blythe on December 17, 2017, 11:34:22 PM

Ah, I can sympathize. It can be hard to find people interested in tabletop rpgs in general, and I can imagine how difficult it must be to find people specifically interested in VtM or VtR. Where I live, Dungeons and Dragons is the more popular game, but I have sometimes been able to find people to play VtM or VtR, if only rarely!

Sooner or later, I need to try to play a Ravnos in VtM. They are probably one of the few Clans I've never really gotten the hang of. I like them; I just have no idea how to play them.

For VtR, I still need to play a Mehket at some point.  I like them, but I haven't played VtR in a while, and they are probably the one Clan in VtR I've never really learned to roleplay well. But I'll settle for a Ventrue any day of the week in VtR. I love my Ventrues in VtR. Or Nosferatus. :)

Here we still have a strong Vampire the Mascarade cult following,but the community is toxic and super conservative if you are talking about rules or setting changes. But D&D is the mainstream. At least the Brazilian streammers usually stream non D&D games, like Fate, Chronicle of Darkness and games powered by Apocalypse World Engine.

Now about the clans I like to play. Well I like to play Ventrue and Mekhet in VtR. I have some problems about play Gangrel because I avoid deal with anger and violence, and violence is part of gangrel themes. And I used to like play Ventrue, Tremere and Tzimisce old clan on VtM. But my favorite VtM character wasn't a vampire, but a human from a Romani family who was searching for their family ancestor who was a Ravnos vampire. And just that ancestor could end a family feud which could mean the death of a lot of people.

Cold Heritage

Quote from: Thorne on December 17, 2017, 11:03:13 PM
I haven't played since V:tM was what there was (mostly) for WoD; and I got soured on the whole thing because ... well, one too many people who figured blowing things up was the right way to handle everything, and the GM wasn't willing to tell 'em 'no' and then have their characters staked if they did it anyway.

But . . . but it is! The Technocracy dropped a spirit nuke on Ravnos and everything turned out okay!
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

TheHighwayHitman

Actually it was the Kuei-jin. The nuke only blew off his arm.

But I say its a worldwide Horrid Reality. :D

Thorne

Oh, is that what happened ..?

I'unno. They kind of ruined it for me, and stripped out most of what I was interested in. And then there was *hackblech* Twilight and everything went to glitterpox and I don't know what's going on anymore. ^^;

Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

Blythe

Quote from: Thorne on December 19, 2017, 07:48:11 PM
Oh, is that what happened ..?

I'unno. They kind of ruined it for me, and stripped out most of what I was interested in. And then there was *hackblech* Twilight and everything went to glitterpox and I don't know what's going on anymore. ^^;

I think that's why I tend to ignore certain aspects of Masquerade's metaplot. Any of the Gehenna-related metaplot was kind of...questionable...at best. I have the most fun in VtM settings where the ST constructs their own city and the metaplot + White Wolf's OP NPCs get pushed aside. ^^

Quote from: eavatar on December 18, 2017, 06:06:05 AM
Character driven is the best way to run games like VtR/VtM. Of course, it requires a lot of ST preparation and a lot of communication, because you need to understand the players preferences and what they are loving at this moment.

About Russian inspiration, I got a lot of inspiration from russian folklore. So I did a brief research at Project Gutenberg to get some mythology dictionaries and folk tales collections. Even less accurate or analysed under late 19th/early 20th century theories and preconcepts, it is something valid to read and get inspiration.

BTW I recommend anyone wishing to run a game envolving supernatural russian elements read this folk tales collection. http://www.gutenberg.org/files/22373/22373-h/22373-h.htm Some of that folk tales inspired me at the side cast construction.

Here we still have a strong Vampire the Mascarade cult following,but the community is toxic and super conservative if you are talking about rules or setting changes. But D&D is the mainstream. At least the Brazilian streammers usually stream non D&D games, like Fate, Chronicle of Darkness and games powered by Apocalypse World Engine.

Now about the clans I like to play. Well I like to play Ventrue and Mekhet in VtR. I have some problems about play Gangrel because I avoid deal with anger and violence, and violence is part of gangrel themes. And I used to like play Ventrue, Tremere and Tzimisce old clan on VtM. But my favorite VtM character wasn't a vampire, but a human from a Romani family who was searching for their family ancestor who was a Ravnos vampire. And just that ancestor could end a family feud which could mean the death of a lot of people.

It's kind of nice to know that Brazil isn't actually too different from where I live in the USA when it comes to tabletop rpgs and what's in and what's not! And for Gangrel in VtR--I like them, but I sort of struggled to play them well back when I did play VtR. I have a friend who swears up and down that they're the best, though, so the nice thing is that VtR typically has something for everyone. ^^

Very cool about the human Masquerade character--I always think mortals are really fun to play in VtM games. I think playing a mortal really highlights the horror of the genre--not to mention it does open other avenues of play since mortals can be awake during the day.  ;D

HairyHeretic

Every GM is going to customise the world to suit their game. At the end of the day, if you don't like Thing X, rewrite or ignore it.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.