News:

Main Menu

Haunted House

Started by Kaizen, September 09, 2010, 07:31:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaizen

Last year I volunteered my time for the local volunteer fire department's haunted house fund raiser.  This year, I have been asked to come up with some ideas for different rooms in the haunted house.  I would like to draw on the creative pool here at E, so please tell me your ideas for a room in a haunted house.  The only limiting factor is budgeting... it's always about the $$$

The rooms I have to work with are as folows:

One room has a bed (with the center cut out so someone can jump out or be pulled in)
One room has a platform that is about eye level and blacklights(very small room)
One room is built like a cage/jail cell

I can alter these rooms in any way I see fit.

Thank you for your help!

Kai

Brandon

In the cage/jail first make it so people get locked in a cage, perhaps with rotting corpses and skeletons. Then get a CD of loud foot steps like boots on wood. Make it so people think those are the steps of the executioner coming for whoever is present. Also include the occasional scream, like someone being tortured
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Kaizen

Excellent, we used the room to lock up the 'psycho' last year.

Great idea! I'll present that to the head honcho, I think it'll work.  Maybe actually have someone dressed up like an executioner could work well too.

Brandon

If you really want to play up the executioner make it so the people see him pass by, dragging a body by a chain leash or something like it in one hand and a massive ax for beheadings in the other . The body could be "dead" or it could be a real person crying out for help. Should you do that, and assuming the budget permits, try to switch it up a bit with differnet people
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Kaizen

Quote from: Brandon on September 09, 2010, 08:38:11 AM
If you really want to play up the executioner make it so the people see him pass by, dragging a body by a chain leash or something like it in one hand and a massive ax for beheadings in the other . The body could be "dead" or it could be a real person crying out for help. Should you do that, and assuming the budget permits, try to switch it up a bit with differnet people

Fantastic!  This idea is very do-able with only minor adjustments being needed to the house setup, and is essentially no-cost.

Thanks B!

Brandon

Yet another idea you can do, is when people get locked in a cell. Make one of those corpses suddenly come to life. Let the person be able to slip out of a chain with one hand while the other holds him to the wall so he/she can try to grab one of the people inside. He/she might also welcome them as cell mates and make commentary on the executioner but they should clearly be insane

Edit: If you would like to do a haunted room setup. Then something easy and cheap you can do is make a CD and get 3 people together. You start the recording with a simple yet forceful whispered "get out!" then repeat the same things every 3 seconds or so, slowly getting more forceful and faster. By the 3rd or 4th get out, get the second person to start saying it just as forcefully but continue to build on it, at the 8th get out, add in the third person. At around the 12th get out something big should happen. The important part is that these need to be whispers, forceful, but still whispers. This shows that the "ghost" in question is angry and giving them an opportunity to leave before it takes action then when that something happens it helps instil a kind of panic in the human psyche

Wolfy

Hmm..How old are we talking about here? For the people coming to it, that is.

Kaizen

Quote from: Wolfy on September 09, 2010, 09:20:42 AM
Hmm..How old are we talking about here? For the people coming to it, that is.

All ages attend.  The patrons actually sign a waver before going into the house  >:)

No one under 18 is allowed to work in the house though.

Wolfy

Well I'd say get a Catholic Priest for the little boys. *Badum-tch*

But ehh..seriously though...Fake blood, make up, lighting..what are we working with here?

Kaizen

All the usual stuff.  Make-up yes.  Fake blood yes.  Blacklights and strobe lights yep, we got those too.

Anything that could be readily available to a bunch of country boys.  The guy in charge and myself are taxidermists so we have access to some animal skulls and bones too...

Starlequin

You could also have someone in each group who gets dragged down into/'eaten' by the demon/corpse/whatever inside the bed.
You live for the fight when it's all that you've got.

Wolfy

Well, it would be Cliche to leave bones and such in the Jail Cell, though if you can set it up right, (Especially if they are outside the Jail Cell) you could have the bones laying in the light, ominously, and have someone dressed up as a monster in the darkness.

The people pass by the bones, pass by him in the dark (Like Pitchblack dark so no-one can see them) And as soon as they get to another light, he rushes to the bars at the light,reaching out, screaming about his next meal.

...Buut. that's just me.

Wolfy

Quote from: Starlequin on September 09, 2010, 11:43:30 AM
You could also have someone in each group who gets dragged down into/'eaten' by the demon/corpse/whatever inside the bed.

Teehee..there's a movie about that. Death Bed: The Bed that eats. Terrible movie. xD

Kaizen

All very good ideas. 

I should probably explain the bed-room with a little more detail.  The room is raised up about 2-3 feet from the walkway where the group would be passing through.  There is a small hollow platform on the other side of the walkway where someone could stand or hide.  There is also a hidden entrance or exit at the back of the room.

Last year, the room that the group would pass through before going into the bedroom had rails where the front end of a truck slid down as if to crash into the group and it would stop just before hitting them.  This year, I think it is going to be the birthing room - a woman is going to be giving birth to a demon baby...

Remiel

QuoteLast year, the room that the group would pass through before going into the bedroom had rails where the front end of a truck slid down as if to crash into the group and it would stop just before hitting them.  This year, I think it is going to be the birthing room - a woman is going to be giving birth to a demon baby...

Holy crap, that sounds awesome! I want to visit this now.

The only thing I can think of at the moment is to have a pile, or row, of clearly fake corpses.  Hiding among them, however, is an actor, who will either try to grab or jump up and chase the guests as they go past. 

Having something drop on them from above is always good, because that's a direction that they won't be expecting. Perhaps a alien pod planted on the ceiling, out of view, set up to drip water on occasion.  The guests feel the drip, they look up...

Kaizen

Quote from: Remiel on September 09, 2010, 01:26:57 PM
Holy crap, that sounds awesome! I want to visit this now.

The only thing I can think of at the moment is to have a pile, or row, of clearly fake corpses.  Hiding among them, however, is an actor, who will either try to grab or jump up and chase the guests as they go past. 

That could easily be incorporated into the zombie room - it is set up like a graveyard with people jumping out of graves chasing the patrons into the second maze of the house.  Good stuff!

Oniya

We did a mad scientist routine once.  The basic schtick was that the 'monster' (the tallest guy we knew) would lay on the table while a guy in a lab coat worked on him.  I played the nurse (with the astoundingly original name of Ratchet), and helped in the patter - which we actually changed up as the groups went through.  At some point, there would be a phone call ('Doctor, it's Life magazine about your subscription.'  'I don't subscribe to Life, I create life!' / 'Doctor, it's the White House.  They want you to return Dan Quayle's brain.'  'Why?  He's not using it - it's far more useful here.')  He'd have one of the attendees look through the microscope - sometimes say something about how what should have been on the slide must have escaped and infected them, or crow about finally accomplishing invisibility.

Eventually, the monster would sit up, roar, and tear away the mannequin arm that the doctor had been concealing up his sleeve.  I would scream, and the ushers would hurry the crowd to the next room.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Kaizen

Quote from: Oniya on September 09, 2010, 02:24:52 PM
We did a mad scientist routine once...

Eventually, the monster would sit up, roar, and tear away the mannequin arm that the doctor had been concealing up his sleeve.  I would scream, and the ushers would hurry the crowd to the next room.

I love the scripted rooms.  Last year we had doctor and dentist rooms- they had an old dentist's chair so I think they really wanted to use it...  But, I think the Dentist room was a bust - I'll propose the scientist idea to replace the dentist for sure!

Thanks

Kai

Oniya

The dentist chair could easily hold the monster.  A few strategic splashes of red pain on a sheet, creative lighting, and an assortment of old hand-tools (mad scientists typically have crappy funding) should create a nice atmosphere.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Kaizen

I found out last night, my room is going to be the guillotine room.

Last year, the room was divided.  One half was fashioned as a gas chamber and the other half had small cages hanging from the ceiling with grotesque mutilated people locked inside grasping at the patrons.

I havn't seen the new layout yet, but once I do - I'll be back here with better details asking for more ideas.

Kaizen

They've said that my room is one of the best in the house.

Here's a crappy cell phone pic of my costume.  I've hotglued a bunch of syringes to an old shirt so it looks like I've jabbed myself with various drugs.  I've also made some retractable syringes and I give botox and flu shots to the guests.

My favorite group was a bunch of highschool kids.  I had them crawling on the floor to get away.  I made a few kids cry too.  Good stuff.

Oniya

Quote from: Kaizen on October 25, 2010, 08:45:29 AM
They've said that my room is one of the best in the house.

Here's a crappy cell phone pic of my costume.  I've hotglued a bunch of syringes to an old shirt so it looks like I've jabbed myself with various drugs.  I've also made some retractable syringes and I give botox and flu shots to the guests.

My favorite group was a bunch of highschool kids.  I had them crawling on the floor to get away.  I made a few kids cry too.  Good stuff.

Whoo-hoo!  We had one where there was a swordfight on the roof and the 'loser' kicked a dummy off onto the lawn.  Scared two guys into trying to jump into each other's arms.

Kaizen

It was a really fun time working in the house.  I did not take any pictures, but as soon as I can find some, I will post them here.

I made people crawl on the floor to get away, their tears fell like rain, the guides were trampled, I heard a few reports of wet pants, I initiated an asthma attack, people had to leave the house they were so scared, and the pinnacle of my haunted house career: I heard one kid say that he pooped in his pants.

Brandon

Glad to hear our ideas were such a hit. Now go find us pictures, I want to see what I and the fellow minds of elliquiy helped create  ;D