The Twelfth Doctor: Peter Capaldi (I missed out on the "Speculation")

Started by Cyrano Johnson, August 05, 2013, 10:16:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyrano Johnson

It's this week's Royal Baby, but for geeks. Who's your pick?

Mine: I'm pretty sure it won't be Benedict Cumberbatch (already in place on BBC as Sherlock and with a skyrocketing film career), nor Chiwetel Ejiofor, Idris Elba or anyone else who is currently high-profile and extremely busy, and it probably won't be anyone primarily known from a different fandom product (like any Harry Potter actors). And the Doctor will not be switching sexes.

The best suggestion I've seen to date is Richard Ayoade (of The IT Crowd fame):

The It Crowd Maurice Moss funny moments

Or, for the more debonair man-of-the-world vibe, Colin Salmon (who was once tipped to play Bond and is now mostly doing more marginal films and Dances-With-the-Stars type shows, so could potentially use the shot in the arm):

Artichoke the gorilla halibut! Freedom! Remember Bubba the Love Sponge!

Cyrano Johnson's ONs & OFFs
Cyrano Johnson's Apologies & Absences

Oniya

Not sure that actors from other fandoms are completely immune.  Peter Davidson was picked primarily because of the producers liking his character in All Creatures Great and Small.  (He plays a fabulous Tristan.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Cyrano Johnson

Sorry, by "fandoms" I have chiefly in mind those fandoms with a profile in the SF target market. Work in genres not directly related would likely not be a hindrance, I shouldn't think.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Oniya on August 05, 2013, 10:22:15 AM
Not sure that actors from other fandoms are completely immune.  Peter Davidson was picked primarily because of the producers liking his character in All Creatures Great and Small.  (He plays a fabulous Tristan.)

Yeah.. Tristian Farnum.. great character in the books.. great guy in the show. :D

Kythia

It was announced a few days ago.  Peter Capaldi.

Cyrano Johnson

Whoops. So it was. Well, darnit.

WynterBloom

Capaldi's a very talented actor. I think the sonic screwdriver is in good hands. Though I admit I've wanted to see Colin Salmon in the role ever since he played Dr. Moon in the show itself! (He's got that brilliant voice.)

Callie Del Noire

*SPOILERS* Peter Capaldi is the New Doctor! - Doctor Who (2013) - BBC

He looks like he might have fun wiht it.. but damn.. follow in Smiths' shoes will be hard.

Polymorph

I have only seen clips of  "The thick of it", but I'm fairly safe saying that the twelth Doctor will be very different to Peter's character in that. The only other appearance I recognise him from is Dr Who, The fires of Pompei episode.

Valerian

Interestingly, he was recently in the movie adaptation of World War Z credited simply as "W.H.O. Doctor".   ;D
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Oniya

Quote from: Valerian on August 05, 2013, 02:02:17 PM
Interestingly, he was recently in the movie adaptation of World War Z credited simply as "W.H.O. Doctor".   ;D

Got a few too many periods in there, eh?  ;D
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Mathim

He's as ugly as some of the earlier guys playing the Doc. Not going to be sticking around for the newer seasons, I guess...barely cared to follow Matt Smith around through his first two.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Cyrano Johnson

Quote from: Mathim on August 05, 2013, 02:20:32 PM
He's as ugly as some of the earlier guys playing the Doc.

Heh, for some that could be a feature. His sort of gaunt, pop-eyed thing kind rather reminds one of Tom Baker (who to many of those who grew up in the Eighties is still the Doctor).

Oniya

Quote from: Cyrano Johnson on August 05, 2013, 02:22:38 PM
Heh, for some that could be a feature. His sort of gaunt, pop-eyed thing kind rather reminds one of Tom Baker (who to many of those who grew up in the Eighties is still the Doctor).

One of the reasons given for the longevity of Doctor Who is the fact that they chose such a radically different actor when it came time to replace the first one.  (That would be Patrick Troughton replacing William Hartnell for you young-uns.)

Mathim

Quote from: Cyrano Johnson on August 05, 2013, 02:22:38 PM

He looks like he might be older than he is (I don't know how old he is) so it really destroys the youthful vibe from every Doc since Chris Eccleston. Should put off plenty of my generation's viewers who enjoyed the interactions between the doctor and his companions. I don't think a contrast like that would play better than, say, Tennant and Tate's. It wasn't that bad for a young-ish Doc and a woman Donna's age, I don't know if the reverse would hold true. But the show's been going downhill since Smith arrived anyway, so this isn't a surprise. God help his companion, though.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Cyrano Johnson

Maybe his Companion should be a crotchety old guy, instead. Like Hugh Laurie.  XD

(I can't really speculate on whether the series will get better or worse. I haven't watched since early in Tennant's run. But I might actually tune in for Capaldi. There's no law that the Doctor's Companions have to be a sexy combination or in tension with him specifically... in the Tom Baker days it was more about an eccentric old guy opening his young friends' minds to the wonders of the universe. And jelly babies. And putting them in all sorts of lethally dangerous situations. Long as we still have that...)

Valerian

I have to say that I really, really didn't like the way every companion had to be a potential love interest for the Doctor in this new version of the show, and I also stopped watching early in Tennant's time.  So the fact that the new actor is older (he's 55) is actually an enticement to watch as far as I'm concerned.  Maybe they'll actually get rid of all that romance and go back to something more like the classic formula for the show.  *crosses fingers*
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Oniya

Quote from: Cyrano Johnson on August 05, 2013, 02:45:49 PM
in the Tom Baker days it was more about an eccentric old guy opening his young friends' minds to the wonders of the universe. And jelly babies. And putting them in all sorts of lethally dangerous situations. Long as we still have that...)

Callie Del Noire

Kytn

Wheeee, excited! Matt Smith had his moments, but I'm tired of the baby faced Doctor. And along the lines of what Valerian said, hopefully there's less of a potential romance between the Doctor and his companions. Clara's reaction in particular should be interesting.
Updates coming soon!

SakamotoHD

I'm gonna ask a super dumb question, since I've never gotten into Dr. who, but being british, I'm well aware of how long this show's been going on.

Besides starting back to the 1950's, is there another Doctor I could start at that's perhaps, a bit more contemporary? I wouldn't mind getting into the swing of things and understanding a bit more of this show, since I've a large group of friends who do nothing but rave about it.

Oniya

Most of us Yanks started with number 4 (Tom Baker).  The new crop of fans started with 9.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Oniya on August 14, 2013, 02:59:04 PM
Most of us Yanks started with number 4 (Tom Baker).  The new crop of fans started with 9.

I was sort of in flux. I saw Baker in Ireland.. and Pertwee in the US (back and forth in the 79-81 range).

Oniya

I caught Pertwee and Hartnell when the PBS stations finally got hold of them.  But I started with Tom, and it was a fairly comfortable place to start.  There's always going to be a bit of 'What's happening?  Why is it happening?' and all that (although there probably was even if you started with An Unearthly Child), but especially with the Internet at your fingertips, you're only a wiki-link away from all the back-story you'll ever need.

SakamotoHD

Quote from: Oniya on August 14, 2013, 03:11:45 PM
I caught Pertwee and Hartnell when the PBS stations finally got hold of them.  But I started with Tom, and it was a fairly comfortable place to start.  There's always going to be a bit of 'What's happening?  Why is it happening?' and all that (although there probably was even if you started with An Unearthly Child), but especially with the Internet at your fingertips, you're only a wiki-link away from all the back-story you'll ever need.

*Chuckles* Sounds like I should just start from the beginning and go on a spree. We'll see how long I last, I've been catching up on alot of miyazaki films that I'm ashamed to say I never got around to watching.