News:

Main Menu

The History Corner

Started by Valerian, November 01, 2009, 11:23:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShrowdedPoet

I love history, though most of my known by heart knowledge rests in early American history, I am still quite facinated by most other history.  I like to watch the history channel for fun.  Some of my favourite history has to do with fairy tales.  I also love murder history.  One thing though that I was just thinking I'd like to hear about is bloody Mary.  I know a little but by far, I am sure, not as much as all of you amazing minds.
Kiss the hand that beats you.
Sexuality isn't a curse, it's a gift to embrace and explore!
Ons and Offs

Ket

Quote from: Valerian on December 18, 2009, 10:42:10 AM
Warning!  I'm reading a new history book -- well, new to me, at least -- about the Amber Room.  There's a decent overview here, with some pictures, that are nice but I'm sure totally fail to capture the full effect of what that room must have been/must be like.  I'm sure the reconstruction is good, but the allure of the original is still strong -- there are thousands of people worldwide still searching for the original panels of the room, lost since World War II.

I first heard about the room when I was very small, and it still fascinates me -- it's a mystery right up there with Jack the Ripper's identity.  As to whether this particular book (Amber Room: The Fate of the World's Greatest Lost Treasure, by Catherine Scott-Clark and Adrian Levy) is any good, that I can't say yet, as I'm just getting started; but so far it at least seems like the authors put a lot of effort into their research.

I first heard of this room in a fictional novel. But I found the thought of it just fascinating! I think I'll have to check out the book you're reading.
she wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

you can find me on discord Ket#8117
Ons & Offs~Menagerie~Pulse~Den of Iniquity
wee little Ketlings don't yet have the ability to spit forth flame with the ferocity needed to vanquish a horde of vehicular bound tiny arachnids.