Image or browser issues? (not sure which it is) Help?

Started by MaverickKane, January 09, 2015, 10:20:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaverickKane

Hi,

Yesterday I was switching my signature images out and had some issues with getting a little like...box or even nothing showing up at all or just showing code, instead. I got some help with that. But just a bit ago, I was going to send a [img] code with a picture link to someone and when I previewed, I got the box again. I have looked over my browser settings. Everything looks right. I switched over to another browser to check and it does it on the other browser too. Is anyone else having this issue, know how to fix it or...is it just something wonky happening on E?

What ever it is, I would really like to get it fixed?

Geraint

Quote from: MaverickKane on January 09, 2015, 10:20:03 PM
Hi,

Yesterday I was switching my signature images out and had some issues with getting a little like...box or even nothing showing up at all or just showing code, instead. I got some help with that. But just a bit ago, I was going to send a [img] code with a picture link to someone and when I previewed, I got the box again. I have looked over my browser settings. Everything looks right. I switched over to another browser to check and it does it on the other browser too. Is anyone else having this issue, know how to fix it or...is it just something wonky happening on E?

What ever it is, I would really like to get it fixed?
Some sites block their imaging from hotlinking (which is what you are trying to do) but that wouldn't show up to you until later.  If you're getting the x box now in preview, the chances are that there is something off with your coding.  For instance an extra  space anywhere between your set of [img] brackets, or a space missing where there should be one will do that.  Often people leave a space between a bracket and the picture address on either end, but sometimes people copy and past more or less than they think they do and end up with extra characters or characters missing within a bracket.

If you put your code in a post here (preferably in a code box, but just pasting it in would work), somebody can probably help.

MaverickKane

Quote from: Geraint on January 09, 2015, 11:42:18 PM
Some sites block their imaging from hotlinking (which is what you are trying to do) but that wouldn't show up to you until later.  If you're getting the x box now in preview, the chances are that there is something off with your coding.  For instance an extra  space anywhere between your set of [img] brackets, or a space missing where there should be one will do that.  Often people leave a space between a bracket and the picture address on either end, but sometimes people copy and past more or less than they think they do and end up with extra characters or characters missing within a bracket.

If you put your code in a post here (preferably in a code box, but just pasting it in would work), somebody can probably help.

I checked my coding first. double and triple checked. So, it wasn't that.

I have never had that problem before, but I saved the picture on my account on a image hosting site I use and it worked. That's what I get for trying to show someone something with out hosting it first. (Which I usually do because hot linking isn't something I like to do.) Still doesn't explain why it did it when I was working on my sig, because I had uploaded those to E's Wiki.

Either way...thanks for the help.

-Maverick Kane-

gaggedLouise

I used to have the same problem with images here on E; images that I hotlinked to their spots on an external site (a photo upload site etc), or any off-E location, wouldn't show up here, not even when scrupulously following template scripts or simply using QUOTE from some other post where someone had embedded a picture link, retrieving what they had written, copying it and just inserting my own pic link instead. I know how to use the img tags and so on, and never had this issue on other sites. Eventually the issue vanished and I was able to hotlink pics for profiles etc like most everybody else, but despite asking helpful people here and trying out a couple of ideas there was never any real answer to why it had happened.

What I do think happens sometimes is that an image stored on a web server may have different URLs to different viewers in different countries or continents. For the image to appear here on E's pages, it will have to be located by Elliquiy's servers which are in America. Normally the URL address is supposed to take anyone (a page, a server or a person) to the file, but sometimes, due to how the net is constructed, a file or a page will appear with different URLs seen from different places. So you'd copy-paste the address where the image shows up seen from let's say France, Brazil or even Florida, but the servers are in let's say California and won't find anything at that location. I'm fairly sure that's what happened to me a few times with picture files for a character sheet where another member said: I can see it if I'm linking it to this precise address, this is what I wrote to get your sheet to show up with the pic, this is what should be hotlinked and it works for me - and that address didn't work when I used it on its own, though the preview of the character sheet did show up. The inverse was also true: if I sent her what I had typed so that she could see the code template (which was mostly the same of course) she didn't get to see the picture. And it turned out that we seemed to be using two different URLs for the same uploaded picture file, each of us using the url path that the pic would have to her (though they were on the same site of course).

I don't know how common it is to get that kind of "relativity of URLs" but my hunch is it could be a growing problem as the internet expands and becomes more complex and multi-platform.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

MaverickKane

actually I noticed it on another site, also this image showing as just a box for security code. There seems to be an issue with capatcha or...something and I have no idea... long as I don't have the issue on here anymore, I guess it doesn't matter. But it is driving me nuts.

Nadir