News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

On the Raggedy Edge - A Firefly Game (OOC & Character Thread)

Started by ebpohmr, February 12, 2013, 01:20:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebpohmr

This is the OOC and Character Thread for On the Raggedy Edge.

Approved Characters

Player Character Position Status Notes

ebpohmr Ulysses McGregor Captain Active Approved 20/02/13
IvoryTigress Kylie Elise Martin Pilot Active Approved 20/02/13
BadForm Eliza 'ED' Dawson Muscle Active Approved 20/02/13

Bunking Arrangements

The Calypso currently has 2 double and 3 single crew cabins (aft of the bridge) and 4 twin (bunks or double) passenger cabins (aft of the medbay). Let me know which you want!

Double Crew #1 (Port)
Double Crew #2 (Starboard) Ulysses McGregor (Captain)
Single Crew #1 (Port, Forward) Kylie Elise Martin
Single Crew #2 (Port, Rear)
Single Crew #3 (Starboard)
Twin Passenger #1 (Port Outboard)
Twin Passenger #1 (Port Inboard)
Twin Passenger #1 (Starboard Inboard)
Twin Passenger #1 (Starboard Outboard)

Characters Needed

Mechanic
Medic
Muscle
Other

If you are interested in having an in-character connection to another character (e.g. long-term partners/marriage/siblings etc), feel free to request it!

Character Sheet

Copy and paste the code below into your reply and replace the (stuff) with your details.

[float=right][img padding=8]URL to Character's Image goes here[/img][/float]
[justify][b]Name: [/b](Your character's name - pretty much anything goes but you can always search through Firefly characters for some inspiration!)
[b]Age: [/b] (By the rules, 16+ and you had better act your age!)
[b]Gender:[/b] (Well I hope this one won't tax your mind overly much...)
[b]Sexuality:[/b] (Heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual, etc.)
[b]Place of Birth:[/b] (Check a firefly wiki for details on the different planets, moons and orbitals that are available)

[b]Skills:[/b] (For example: tracking, piloting (shuttles, freighters or capital ships), mechanic, shooting (pistol, rifle, heavy, artillery, ship-mounted) etc)
[b]Likes:[/b] (What brings a smile to your character's face? This can be general, and include 'Turn On's")
[b]Dislikes:[/b] (What throws a damper on your character's sunny disposition? This can be general, and include "Turn Off's")

[b]Physical Description:[/b] (Include a picture if you can, if not please describe the character in enough detail for other players to picture)

[b]Personality:[/b] (Give us an idea of how your character ticks and reacts to the world around them)

[b]History:[/b] (Keeping in mind the start of the game is a few weeks after Serenity. Everyone will have lived through the Unification War, so you'll probably want to mention any involvement/feelings about that.)[/justify]

BadForm

Name: Eliza "ED" Dawson
Sexuality: Pretty much asexual - but she'll do almost anything if the price is right, not just sexually
Place of Birth: Born on the Pandemonium - a battle ship of the Alliance. Born in space, raised in space, likely to die in space.

Skills: Combatant: melee, primitive ranged weapons, small arms, tactical boarding weaponry, shipboard weapons as a speciality
Likes: Combat, clear rules (which she may or may not circumvent), earning money, excitement and danger, space
Dislikes: Being onworld, emotional displays especially in front of others, attachments

Physical Description: Standing five foot ten, and well-toned, ED is a quite imposing figure. Her attitude makes her even more so. She likes to wear tank tops etc that can accentuate her form, but this is not because she finds it sexy, rather because it can give her an edge in a fist fight against men. She wears sunglasses, long pants, and wears her long, striaght brown hair tied in a pony tail to keep it away from her face. She usually wears a combat blade at her belt and carries a gun whenever she can. Her body language merely adds to the attitude that she displays, stating without her needing to voice it that she does not intend to take crap from God. Standing or sitting, she keeps herself ready to strike at the slightest need.

Personality: ED has an extremely, almost offensively, mercenary attitude to life. The only thing that seems to matter to her most of the time is money. She shows very few emotions and seems to respect few people who do not show their willingness to fight hard for what they want. She has no current serious attachments and finds herself with her current crew simply for the money. She is asexual and unromantic with no interest in affection. Underneath all that, ED is a scared little girl who saw from an early age that the lives of those she loves could be quickly and randomly snuffed out. Losing both her parents in combat had a devastating effect on her and now she is terrified to open her heart to anyone.

History:
ED (pronounced either like the male name or the initials) was born to alliance parents on a battle ship that was destroyed during combat. Her mother escaped with her and managed to find a birth on another battle cruiser. Since the she has largely been raised in space and hates setting foot on solid ground. Her mother too was lost in combat, but ED was never seen to grieve for either parent. Indeed it is rare to think of a time when ED has shown emotions except, maybe, anger. She does not let herself get attached to anyone and maintains an almost offensively mercenary attitude to life. She has no love of weakness and no respect for those who will not fight their own battles. That said when someone wins her over they have a friend who will lay their life on the line for them. Currently she has no such friends. She has trained herself to be as good a combatant in all ways as she possibly can be and constantly looks for opportunities to prove herself and improve herself.
Absences thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=202963.msg9924174#msg9924174

-----

Think you know your movies? How about their dialogue? Try the following silly movie caption thread:

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=200349.0

ebpohmr

Looks good Bad! Just need you to go into the first line and delete all the text between the </url> and the </floatright> tags. I've taken it out of the template too now!

Thanks!

BadForm

Oh man, I did and now I lost the image too... I messed up somehow. Since I just found the image out on the web after some significant searching I'm not even sure I can get it back. Can the description stand alone?
Absences thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=202963.msg9924174#msg9924174

-----

Think you know your movies? How about their dialogue? Try the following silly movie caption thread:

ebpohmr

BadForm

You're a better man than I am Eb. I couldn't even remember which of about a dozen search phrases I used turned that lady up!

-----

ebpohmr

BadForm

It is? Wasn't she in some movie or something? I think I found it under "mercenary girl" or "space mercenary" or something...

-----

ebpohmr

I recognised the picture as Sarah Connor from Terminator 2: Judgement Day.

BadForm

Oh terminator, I thought I recognized the name when you said it. Not that I know which character she played. I'm not very good with pop culture

-----

IvoryTigress

I got busy last night. But I'll get a character up tonight, most likely. :)

IvoryTigress

Name: Kylie Elise Martin
Sexuality: Bisexual
Place of Birth: The moon Triumph

Skills: Kylie is an extremely talented pilot. There isn't a ship she has come across that she hasn't been able to fly. She is also skilled with blades, both swords and knives. She prefers them over guns, but she is more than capable of picking up a rifle and taking up a marksman spot in the high ground. Her skill in combat has made her an ideal pilot for mercenary and pirate ships. She commonly finds herself on boarding parties and she flies the stolen ship. She has minimal engineering abilities, enough to troubleshoot engine problems on a ship. But she wouldn't accept a position for engineering.
Likes: Flying. She is an extremely introverted and quiet individual, rarely showing what goes on in her mind. But genuine happiness can be seen on her features when she is sitting in the pilot seat. She enjoys the rush of battle, the way her body moves by instinct and her awareness of her opponent's body. She enjoys the silence of space and the calm it brings. She immensely enjoys danger, even just the sense of it. It rarely shows in her expressions and features, but its the reason she's a mercenary pilot.
Dislikes: Sitting co-pilot to someone else. Blatantly and needlessly rude and obnoxious people. Large and public places where there is constantly large volumes of people.

Physical Description: Kylie is about 5'6 and 130 pounds of athletic muscle. But despite the clear evidence of strength in every smooth, cut line of her body, there is a certain softness about her. There are subtle curves, often perfectly displayed in the leather she tends to wear. Her eyes are a crystal, penetrating sapphire, her hair locks of raven as straight as rain. There are tribal tattoos all over her body. They only add beauty to the tanned skin beneath them. Her ears are pierced in several places along the cartilage, all silver rings with different colored gems within them. Her nose and both eyebrows were also pierced, though the eyebrows had curved bars and not rings within them. If she had more piercings, they were hidden beneath the tan leather pants, white silk shirt, and tanned leather jacket she always wore. She was always armed, though most of her weaponry was concealed in her clothing. The only exception was a sword that was strapped to her back through two well placed slits in her leather coat. The sword itself had a black handle wrapped in leather. Markings similar to those on her skin were etched into the blade. The way she moved, the way she looked, all gave the impression that she favored the darkness more than the light.
Personality: She is quiet, almost to the point where people might think her rude. She merely sees no reason in speaking unless she has something intelligent to contribute to the conversation. When she does speak, her voice is soft, almost melodious in nature. What comes out of her mouth is constructive and relevant to the problem at hand. Other than that, she keeps to herself, often leaving those she works with curious about her. Her beauty is compelling, but her obvious deadly skills keep most from approaching her.

History: Her history is unknown. She hasn't spoken about it, nor is she in any public records. All that is known is she's from the strange moon Triumph, and it is well known that it is self governed and its customs are strange.

IvoryTigress

Eyes widen...

Wow that picture is huge.....I kinda have no idea how to make it smaller......

marauder13

Quote from: IvoryTigress on February 18, 2013, 08:53:16 PM
Eyes widen...

Wow that picture is huge.....I kinda have no idea how to make it smaller......

I believe you can do "[ img width=xx height=yy]" ( without the " and the first space ) where xx & yy are the no of pixels

IvoryTigress

Quote from: marauder13 on February 18, 2013, 09:13:25 PM
I believe you can do "[ img width=xx height=yy]" ( without the " and the first space ) where xx & yy are the no of pixels

Awesome....except I have no idea what the current pixels are :-P Would that code be framed the same way as ?

marauder13

Quote from: IvoryTigress on February 18, 2013, 09:25:59 PM
Awesome....except I have no idea what the current pixels are :-P Would that code be framed the same way as ?

You put in the pixel height and width YOU want it to be. Experiment a little - that's what the preview button is for.

IvoryTigress

ebpohmr

ebpohmr

Name: Ulysses McGregor
Sexuality: Heterosexual
Place of Birth: Bellerophon

Skills: Leadership (excellent), Shooting - Pistol (excellent), Piloting - Shuttles (average), Mechanic (average), Music - Cello (average), Shooting - Ship (low), Piloting - Freighters (low), Cooking (low), First Aid (low)
Likes: Making his own way in life, Things going right, People following his orders, Playing his cello, Cleaning his pistol, Short relationships
Dislikes: Relationships, Being tied down or restrained (physically and metaphorically), Rebellious crew, Betrayal, Slavers.

Physical Description: Ulysses has lived a hard life and bears the wrinkles, calluses and scars to prove it. He has a medium build, stands 5ft 10in tall and weighs 147 pounds. His hair has remained a deep black, but has begun to thin out into a widow's peak. Ulysses prefers to leave the inches-long hair slicked back. As he has done throughout his life, Ulysses shaves every other day and maintains neat sideburns, bushy moustache and small goatee. Although he has left many of the trappings of his early life behind, Ulysses does tend to retain the fashion he grew up with. On the Calypso, he usually wears an off-cream long-sleeved shirt under a faded black and white pinstripe waistcoat, with matching trousers and sturdy boots. Off ship, his outfit usually adds the matching pinstripe jacket or occasionally an old black leather duster that was a birthday gift from his wife. Ulysses is rarely seen without an Alliance service pistol holstered at his belt, originally taken from its owner during his escape from Persephone.

Personality: Ulysses' main drive is to live according to his own desires and damn anyone who gets in the way. Although the strong sense of honour he grew up with has been largely eroded by years of loss and hardship, he does tend to act the part of the gentleman. After all, there is no reason not to be polite, even if you have just stabbed someone else in the back. Ulysses cares little for others, but is very protective of the Calypso and his crew. In some ways, he views them as the wife and son he was unable to protect in an earlier life. Having left the military before the Unification War really took off, Ulysses has no particular love or hatred for either purple bellies or browncoats. He views the loss of his family as a lesson to never settle down and his desire to stay in motion is part of the reason that he loves the Calypso as much as he does. While indulging in the occasional romance, Ulysses rarely commits to any kind of long-term relationship. Having lived on both sides of the law, Ulysses follows his own code that can be boiled down to 'As long as none of my crew gets dead, its all good...'. He can be a very hard man when he needs to be, especially when betrayed, and some of the more colourful members of his crew have found this out shortly before taking an unsuited trip out of an airlock.

History: Ulysses was born and raised in the lap of luxury at a floating estate on Bellerophon. Named after a hero from the legends of Earth-That-Was, Ulysses entered the Alliance Military at the earliest age he could and after several assignments, wound up stationed on Persephone. Falling in love with a local diplomat's daughter, Ulysses eventually married and became a father. When the Browncoat Rebellion kicked off, Ulysses was drawn into the fight but had little desire to make war on people he had spent many years calling friend. After refusing to carry out an order that required a military strike against the mostly-civilian district where he made his home, Ulysses was arrested. While awaiting court-martial, the strike was carried out by another officer. When Ulysses discovered that his wife and son were amongst the resulting casualties, something snapped inside of him. Breaking free from his captors, Ulysses stole a ship and left Persephone behind.

Selling the shuttle on Peloram, Ulysses used the proceeds to buy himself a crew share in a modified Series 3 Firefly-class freighter, turned blockade runner, named Swift Betty. The ship did well and Ulysses learned a lot about working on the other side of the law, making friends and enemies in the criminal underworld. About a month before the Battle of Serenity Valley the Swift Betty fell neatly into a trap set by an Alliance Tahoku-class cruiser, the IAV Copernicus, in orbit of Greenleaf. By the time the gunships were done most of the crew was dead, the ship was adrift and its weapon magazines had been destroyed. Taking charge of the remaining two survivors, Ulysses managed to get the crippled ship to the nearby moon of Dyton. Oddly unwilling to part ways with the ship he had come to call home, he decided to get it working again. Between earning credits and working on repairs, it took him the best part of two years before he could fully restore the freighter to operational status. Although she was missing the weapon systems and many of the frills she had enjoyed before, the rebuilt firefly was once again able to touch the sky. With Ulysses McGregor as her Captain, the newly registered Calypso was launched.

Ulysses quickly discovered that there was a world of difference between running a blockade runner in the time of war to running a commercial freighter during times of peace. Many of his future plans went out the window and the new captain was quickly forced to turn to more-illegal sources of income. Still it was a way to make a living and he has kept the Calypso in the sky ever since. It is with great interest that Ulysses has watched the developments within the System following the controversy over Miranda and the Reavers. It is a good time to be a Captain with a trusty ship and crew possessed of flexible morals.

ebpohmr

Incidentally, there is now some information on the Calypso in the IC thread. Later I'll add a small introduction to the Story So Far and get to work on an introduction post. Once Ulysses' post is up, you are welcome to post away!

Ashena

ebpohmr

marauder13

Quote from: ebpohmr on February 20, 2013, 08:58:32 PM
Huh? Why are you making a cartoon?

In case you're not being sarcastic, they are referring to making a character for the RP. 'Toon' is a slang term for such.

If you were being sarcastic, I'm throwing away my faulty detector and slinking of ashamed.

IvoryTigress

Quote from: ebpohmr on February 20, 2013, 08:58:32 PM
Huh? Why are you making a cartoon?

What maraduder13 said. Speaking of which...Hug tackles him....but yeah, the jist of it is that Ashena is going to come play! :D

ebpohmr

Quote from: marauder13 on February 20, 2013, 09:12:42 PM
In case you're not being sarcastic, they are referring to making a character for the RP. 'Toon' is a slang term for such.

If you were being sarcastic, I'm throwing away my faulty detector and slinking of ashamed.

*chuckles* Sorry M13, my sarcasm was set to on. I know what a 'toon' is, it is just a pet peeve of mine that people use it instead of 'character'. Much like when people talk about 'rolling' a character instead of 'building' or 'breathing life into'. :p