News:

Main Menu

Star Trek Movie: 2009

Started by gsptGoddess, February 26, 2012, 07:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gsptGoddess

Based off of this moive, and my prior love for things such as Star Wars, Andromeda, etc, I'm considering going all out geek and watching Star Trek from the beginning. Never actually sat down to watch the show, so I'm curios if the movie sets false hopes, or if the show is actually worth watching.
Thoughts?

Beguile's Mistress

As long as you remember the original series was done before movie technology came into it's own and the sound of horses galloping was still being done with coconut halves on a wooden slab you'll not be disappointed.  The appeal of the original series is the writing and creativity of the stories.  At least it's that way for me. 

gsptGoddess

Well as flashy and entertaining as movies are today, I prefer story lines to strobe lights.

DrGrim

The original series is really good so good that i actually own all three seasons (I am such a nerd i know)

Kunoichi

Yeah, the original series is pretty good, if you aren't bothered by ancient special effects. ^^ After that, The Next Generation takes a little while to start getting good, but once it does, it's great, too.  I haven't watched much of any of the other series, though.

I have heard that Voyager and Enterprise are terrible, though...

Craz

Typically, I'd say this is how Star Trek goes: The Original Series is great for storylines, but it has some really goofy moments and it has a few moments where its age really shows. The Next Generation has a slow start, but once Riker Grows the Beard, the show is really one of the best pieces of sci-fi on television. Deep Space 9 has something of the same problem, but the Dominion War arc is one of the highlights of the franchise.

Voyager and Enterprise can go suck a bag of cocks, for all they were.

jouzinka

I would like to point out that the '09 movie was rather different to the TOS as far as the storyline goes. Of course, some things about the characters are a given, but other things were done very differently - after all, it was supposed to be a different timeline.

I am one of the people who watched TOS last and I loved it. Sure, it's not stellar as far as tricks and effects go, but then again, it's almost 50 years old. :-) The series shows some great ideas and it gave a very solid basis to all the spin offs that ensued. Yes, it's very worth watching. I'd tag along with The Animated Series as well. Of course, it's anime/cartoon, so it's not oh-so-great, but there was some great acting involved in it, as well as ideas that weren't possible with the technology back in the day.

I will strongly oppose the notion that VOY and ENT sucked. ENT had some of the best characters of the whole universe (Soval, most notably, Phlox, Sato, Trip Tucker, T'Pol and Shran, just to name a few). The Xindi plot arch was not swoonworthy, but then again, had the first season been about the build up to launching the NX-01 (as Berman wanted), it didn't have to come to that, in my opinion.
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Callie Del Noire

I always thought Enterprise never got a fair shake. Just tossing it out there..

The reboot I liked but I know a lot of Trekkies who were frothing at the mouth outraged.. but I got to say this. SIMON PEG... neener.

Cold Heritage

Enterprise had some episodes I found fairly entertaining. I liked the storyline with the Augments a fair bit. Really enjoyed DS9.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Xanatos

Next Gen is a slow build up as people have said, but it has some of the most memorable Trek episodes. Its biggest flaw was that it was not a continuing story-line for the majority of its run, and that it turned into a soap-opera in space.

DS9 was a slow build, but the Dominion Arc was beyond great (seasons 3-7). Seasons 1-2 are throw away, for the most part. The characters were the best developed and absolutely amazing, however. I didn't like all of them, but by enlarge, the main cast was the best. Sisco is Kirk, Picard, and Janeway combined, and better than either at their own game.

Kirk could fight, but Sisco could headbutt a Klingon, Jemha'dar, and Cardassians, and walk away unphased. Picard was a diplomat, but Sisco ran DS9, dealt with the Bajoran's on a regular basis, played ball with the cunning Cardassians, treated with the Founders, the Federation, and countless others; not to mention ended the Klingon War single handedly! Janeway was cunning and manipulative (in a subtle fashion), but Sisco was that to the pinnacle of nearing perfection. He duped the Romulans into joining the war against the Dominion by having one of their ambassadors killed and pointing the finger at the Dominion.

Voyager was terrible, with the exception of select episodes which were amazing. 'Two Years of Hell', I believe was the name of one episode (or two parter). It was excellent. The series finale was superb as well. Otherwise, the show had so many flaws and holes, a galaxy could fit through it. I really never liked any of the characters. They were just there.

Enterprise unfortunately suffered from the, "trying to make it look old, yet still looking better than original Trek" syndrome most prequels of older movies or shows suffer from. It also had poor stories. The acting remained basically the same. So it wasn't the actors fault. The writers were to blame. The last season, however, got good, but by then it was too late. It also started throwing in partially nude T'pol and Trip, which was worthless. Star Trek does not need nudity to sell itself. Voyager, actually did this too (in the form of skin-tight seven of nine outfits). DS9 dealt with sexuality, but really didn't have any nudity (just a few rare lightly clad ladies).

As for original Trek, I haven't watched many episodes. I can't always stomach late 60's early 70's corniness, which original Trek has in abundance.