Of Molerats and Men: (Fallout 3 themed Intrest check)

Started by Urbanzorro, January 10, 2011, 09:44:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Urbanzorro

IC

-July 16: The first atomic bomb is detonated by the United States.
-August 14: World War II comes to an end.

-May 5: Captain Carl Bell of the United States Space Agency (U.S.S.A.) became the first human in space. This claim is disputed by both the Soviet Union and China. Captain Bell's flight in Space Capsule Defiance 7 lasted twelve minutes and seven seconds, and made a full revolution around the Earth. Bell died when the capsule crashed on its return to Earth

-The United States is divided into thirteen commonwealths, each of which encompasses several states. The national flag is changed to reflect this and depicts fourteen stars - thirteen in a circle to represent the commonwealths and one in the middle to represent the federal government and the nation as a whole. [5].
-July 16: The Virgo II Lunar Lander Valiant 11 with U.S.S.A. astronauts Captain Richard Wade, Captain Mark Garris, and Captain Michael Hagen lands on the Moon. The astronauts become the first humans to walk on a celestial body other than Earth.[4]

-Hubris Comics begins publishing comic books, one of their most popular is Grognak the Barbarian.

-The Mr. Handy series of robots is first brought to market as a general construction and maintenance unit by General Atomics International

-A major earthquake takes place in Mexico City. The Mr. Handy general construction robot becomes the leader in sales in Mexico
-Robert House founds RobCo Industries.

-Nuka-Cola is invented by John Caleb-Bradberton

-Seeking to protect business interests and their oil supply, the United States begins to exert increasing pressure on Mexico, citing the political instability and pollution stemming from Mexico as a threat to the United States. Various economic sanctions serve to destabilize Mexico, and the United States military enters Mexico to keep the oil refineries running and making sure oil and fuel continue to make their way north across the border at Mexico's expense.

-A television documentary into the withered husk of the Texas oil fields brings the oil shortage into the American households, and reveals how deep the energy crisis runs
-April: The Resource Wars begin. Many smaller nations go bankrupt, and Europe, dependent on oil imports from the Middle East, responds to the Middle East's rising oil prices with military action. The long drawn-out war between the European Commonwealth and the Middle East begins.
-May - July: The United Nations, already suffering, begins to collapse. In a series of heated debates, many nations withdraw from the organization as the U.N. tries to keep the peace
-July 27: The United Nations is officially disbanded
-December: Like an exclamation mark on the end of a very bad year, a terrorist nuclear weapon destroys Tel Aviv
-The widely known Nuka-Cola’s Dazzling Blue bottle color was adopted as standard after market research programs indicated that the blue color was the favorite in 86 people out of a hundred polled.

-January: Limited nuclear exchange in the Middle East raises fears throughout the world.[14]
-In light of the Euro-Middle Eastern conflict and the plague scares, the United States officially sets Project Safehouse in motion. The project, financed by junk bonds, is designed to create shelters, called Vaults, for the populace in the event of a nuclear war or deadly plague. Construction begins late in 2054 and proceeds rapidly due to advances in construction technology.

-The Anchorage Front Line is established, as the United States increases its military presence in Alaska to protect its oil interests. The Anchorage Front Line causes tensions in the United States and Canada, as the United States attempts to pressure Canada into allowing American military units to guard the Alaskan pipeline.

-Traffic on the streets of the world stops moving. Fuel becomes too precious to waste on automobiles, so alternatives are explored - electric and fusion cars begin to be manufactured, but factories can only make limited amounts while conserving fuel. The U.S. economy teeters on bankruptcy. Pressure on fusion research increases.
-The Euro-Middle Eastern War ends as the oil fields in the Middle East run dry. There is no longer a goal in the conflict, and both sides are reduced almost to ruin.
-The European Commonwealth dissolves into quarreling nation states, fighting over the remaining resources

-August: The construction of most Vaults is completed, drills begin in the cities with completed Vaults, but the increasing frequency of the drills has a "cry wolf" effect, and the turnouts for drills trickle off as the years go on.

-June: Due to enormous demands for electricity from a 17+ million population, a nuclear reactor in New York City goes supercritical during the summer of this year, almost causing a meltdown. The near meltdown brings into effect power rationing, and the term "Hot Summer" is used to refer to the New York incident.

-Spring: As the oil resources dry up across the globe, China's fossil fuel dependency causes an energy crisis in the nation. China, bordering on collapse, becomes more aggressive in its trade talks with the United States. Unwilling to export oil to China, talks between the United States and China break down.
-Summer: Adding further insult to the Sino-American relations, the first crude fusion cell is unveiled, one of the results of the Power Armor project. Devices designed for the fusion cell begin to be manufactured. Incorporating fusion power into the general U.S. infrastructure begins, but the process is too slow to supply power to the regions that need it. Nearly eleven years later, few sections of the United States were supplied with fusion power.
-Winter China invades Alaska. The Anchorage Front Line becomes a true battleground.
-Winter: As a sign of increasing tension between the two countries, Canada proves reluctant to allow American troops on Canadian soil or allow American planes to fly over Canadian airspace. American and Canadian tensions rise, but Canada eventually backs down, and U.S. troops pass through Canada. This sets the stage for the Canadian annexation in 2076
-The U.S. Navy Missile Cruiser U.S.S. Ebon Atoll is accidentally sunk by the U.S. Navy Submarine U.S.S. Interference during the Anchorage Campaign. The Interference mistook the Ebon Atoll for an enemy vessel and shot it with a nuclear torpedo killing all on board. It is one of the worst U.S. Navy disasters since World War II.

-The first suit of T-45d Power Armor is deployed in Alaska. While lacking the full mobility of future versions, this Power Armor is incredibly effective against Chinese tanks and infantry. Its ability to carry heavy ordinance becomes key in various localized conflicts, and it has the power to destroy entire towns without endangering the wearer. China rushes to create its own versions, but they are many years behind the United States.
-By this year, a Nuka-Cola machine can be found on almost every street in America

-Canada begins to feel the pressure from the United States military as the U.S. draws upon Canadian resources for the war effort. Vast stretches of timberland are destroyed, and other resources in Canada are stretched to the breaking point. Many Americans refer to Canada as Little America, and Canadian protests are unheard.

-The United States' increasing demand for Canadian resources causes protests and riots in several Canadian cities. An attempted sabotage of the Alaskan pipeline is all the military needs as an excuse to finalise its annexation of Canada, which had already begun in 2067
-June 3: Canada fully annexed by U.S.A.

-Negotiations between the U.S. and other world powers come to a dramatic end, with the President walking out of oil talks with the other world powers. After a much heated debate, the President stormed out of the meeting and declared that the last known supply of petroleum will be used exclusively by the U.S. and the U.S. will not sell or trade any oil to outside parties.
-Contrary to their claims of seeking only to retake Alaska from the Reds, American Power Armor units, infantry, and mechanized divisions are deployed to China, but they become bogged down on the mainland, putting a further drain on American resources and supply lines.
-June: Construction of Vault 111 ends.

-RobCo Industries copyrights the Unified Operating System. This system is used for operating the Robco terminals. The copyright is renewed for each of the next two years

-January: The United States annexation of Canada is complete. Canadian protesters and rioters are shot on sight, and the Alaskan Pipeline swarms with American military units. Pictures of atrocities make their way to the United States, causing further unrest and protests
-June: Power Armor prototype completed, resulting in the T-51b Power Armor. This is the pinnacle of Power Armor technology before the Great War. Many of these units are sent to China, and they begin to carve a swath through the Chinese forces. The Chinese resources are strained to the breaking point, and the supply lines from the nations China has annexed begin to break down.
-August: Food and energy riots begin in major cities throughout the United States. Military units begin to be deployed in cities within the United States to contain rioters, and many temporary jails are constructed. A state of emergency is declared, and martial law soon follows.

- Gas prices sky rocket with the regular gas price being $7450.99 per gallon and $8500.99 per gallon for premium.[39]
- A Chinese attempt at Hoover Dam sabotage takes place.
January 10:
-Alaska is reclaimed, and the Anchorage Front Line is again held by the Americans
January 22:
-The first domestic use of Power Armor within the United States for crowd and quarantine control. Units originally serving in China and the Anchorage Front Line find themselves fighting Americans at home. Food riots increase, and many civilians are killed. Several soldiers defect from the military both in Canada and the United States. They are captured, and are sent to military prisons
October 23:
-Nuka Cola Quantum is released to the public hours before the bombs are first dropped. Due to its late release, Quantum is now labeled a rare item.
-Great War: Bombs are launched; who struck first is unknown. Other countries, seeing the missiles on their way, launch their planes and fire their warheads as well. Air raid sirens sound people go into vaults. The Vaults are sealed. What ensues is two hours of nuclear bombardment upon the earth's surface. The effects are far worse than most imagined. The earth's faults shift violently. Mountain ranges thrust themselves through the soil. Whole lands are submerged under floods of water
-A week after the initial blast, a black rain begins to fall. The source of the black rain was the massive amounts of radioactive particle debris (mainly soot) from the nuclear firestorm a week earlier. Plants and animals both go rapidly into extinction

-The first effects of radiation are seen in the survivors. Widespread mutations occur with animals and humans alike. Those that survive the effects of the mutations are permanently changed. New species are created almost overnight

-Five years after the Great War, some aspects of the world begin to calm down. Radiation and poison levels are still too high for normal human survival.

-The Great Winter occurs

-Summer: The Blue Destiny Brothel, Herbert Dashwood's favorite whorehouse, shuts down when the girls die from a Cholera outbreak

-Herbert Dashwood is voted "Honorary Ghoul" at Underworld

-The Capital Wasteland Brotherhood of Steel establishes the Citadel as their main base of operation in the ruins of The Pentagon.

-Three Dog restarts Galaxy News Radio, operating under the protection of Brotherhood contingents

OOC
Hello all, as you may have guessed by this point, this is an interest check for a game set in the Fallout universe/setting, specifically at the time and in the place where the game Fallout 3 occurred. It should be noted up front that this game will be non-canon, this does not mean that some canon characters will not appear (such as Moira Brown for example) or that some canon settlements will be used but it does mean that for the sake of our game, the main story of Fallout 3 does/will not exist and several settlements while going under the same name and being in the same location may have populations with agendas and concerns different to the Fallout 3 game. Hopefully you're still excited but before you get too excited and start creating a terror of the wastes, a friendly neighborhood ghoul, or Brother of Steel please read the following notes/points so that you can understand what sort of game this is going to be, and so that you know if it is the sort of game you want to be a part of.

A few rules and notices:
•   Players will be required to post ideally once every 24 hours and once every 48 hours at the very least. Should you know that you may be unable to commit to this then please, for the benefit of the GMs and other players, please do not apply to play.
•   Due to past games where players have dropped causing continuity of plot problems, your character is to be considered a part of the story, not the other way around. In other words the GMs own the characters you create and if you leave the game we reserve the right to play on with that character as an NPC, dispose of them or offer them to a replacement player. Again this rule is in place to ensure continued enjoyment for the majority. Those who cannot accept this please do not apply to play.
•   Player characters in this game will be members of Vault 111, which is a non-canon Vault created for the purpose of this game. This Vault did not open after the war and has remained closed (Much like Vault 101), with the exception being that the members of Vault 101 were mislead into believing that the world outside was too desolate to survive, whereas Vault 111's door simply did not function correctly, when they tried to open it the door simply broke and locked the Vault's residents inside.
•   This game will be GM'd by both myself and Haibane, she will be handling the acceptance/character approval process and playing some NPCs and inserting story narration posts.
•   We politely require players to play characters of their own gender.
•   Posts need not be long, but they must not be one liners - or even five liners! They need not be literary masterpieces but they must however be useful posts. Useful to the other players and useful to progressing the story or useful in revealing the character and on a good day, all three. Quality over quantity please.
•   This will be a system game, it will use a custom system that I created for a previous game. To the players the system will appear and feel 100 percent freeform, there will be no rolls, stat checks, etc. The only contact any players will have with the system at all will be during character creation.
•   The game will be set in the extreme section of the boards but that is ONLY so that descriptions of violent bloody combat and gory deaths can be included. No other extreme elements are intended or welcomed. As far as sexual encounters are concerned and because slavery is a big element in the Fallout 3 universe, players need to be aware that non-consensual sexual encounters may happen in the game at any time.
Alright! If you've read all of the above and you're still interested, then this may just be the game for you. We are currently looking for 8-10 players. Players and Characters will be added to the approved list on a 1st come, 1st served, 1st approved basis. What this means is that those who submit a character first will be considered first and given any changes they need to make first. Please note that stating your interest does not guarantee you a place: the GMs reserve the right to select the players they think most suitable. This is just an interest check at this point so please feel free to ask questions, but please don't submit any characters yet. Should interest be shown then info on character creation will be posted!

P.S. Below is a short description of the system for anyone who wishes to read it. It is not necessary by any means to be able to play but it may provide some insight and show you just how invisible the system will be to the players.

THE SYSTEM

When/how the system will be used, as well as how it will work.

Normal Combat: The system will be used to determine how effective the Vault dwellers are at killing their foe, as well as how effective the mutated creatures or wasteland enemies are at attacking the characters. Here is a simple example scenario. A Vault dweller is walking down a hallway when he/she encounters a super mutant and opens fire. The mutie runs to attack the Vault dweller who manages to shoot the mutie in the head and it dies without harming the player. Post-wise this would happen with the player writing a post saying that he/she is walking down a hallway the system would be used to tell if the Vault dweller sees the mutie and if they are able to kill it or if it isn’t his/her lucky day and they get wounded/has to run/possibly worse. Either way the posting/action would be 100% freeform. This is achieved by the players using statements like "My character shoots at the creature with his 10mm SMG aiming for its head" as opposed to "My character, shoots the creature in the head." Ideally this will allow both the player and myself to add a bit of creativity while still allowing me (as the GM) to control the outcome of the encounter. Note that specifying the weapon helps a great deal.

Random Happenings: If, for example, the Vault dwellers are walking through some ruined buildings, from time to time the system will cough up something good or bad at them, just to keep things interesting. Here is the very simple system for that: A D20 is rolled, if the roll is a 1 then a bad event will happen, if the roll is a 20 a good event will happen. A further roll is made against a chart to randomly determine what the event is.
I'm a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

Xillen

I'm a sucker for post-apocalyptic, color me interested, while I read on the details. :)

Dashenka

Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.

Urbanzorro

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

Ramster

I'm a massive Fallout fan, so this definitely tickles my interest. My only question is: why keep everyone locked in the vault? It's not the most exciting place, quite a dungeon in fact. Or is the whole point that the characters want to find a way to open the door, get out and travel to see the sights of Rivet City?
Leave not a piss untaken, nor a Michael unappropriated.
A/As!!!
Knight of the Order of the Pizza

Nulla gratuitas sine anchoa

Urbanzorro

Good question, without revealing too much of the story lets just say your characters will start in the Vault but won't spend much time AT ALL in it ;D

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

Ramster

Oh phew, that's a relief. Did everyones dad run off?  ;D
A/As!!!

Urbanzorro

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

Roo

"Are you crazy, is that your problem?" -Jack Burton

Zillah

Urbanzorro

Glad to have all the interest ;D

After a little bit more interest there will be more info forthcoming.

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

Flow

There was no beginning
There will be no end
There is only now

ManyMindsManyVoices

"Call this tentative interest, we don't have to play Vault Dwellers, do we?"
My O/Os * Everyone should read 1/0

This is the Oath of the Drake. You should take it.

Urbanzorro

Quote from: Urbanzorro on January 10, 2011, 09:44:04 AMPlayer characters in this game will be members of Vault 111, which is a non-canon Vault created for the purpose of this game.

Yes you do, more than 90% of the game will take place outside the Vault, but all players will be Vault members.

Alright, not counting 'tentative interest statements' and those who have (via pm) declined from joining the number of interested players is currently @ 5 ;D Things are moving forward well! Expect more info/an update on the details of this game soon!

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

Rachubka

I'll throw my name in the hat, too. Not enough post-apoc stuff in my current events lately.

Flash Gorden

I absolutely adore Fallout, especially 3 and New Vegas.

This is a post of total interest.

Ramster

A/As!!!

Urbanzorro

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

TheLivingWonder

You already have a fair amount of people in on this one, but it just sounds way too exciting for me not to express some interest of my own. If you'll have any more, consider me tickled.  ;)

Haibane

Hello. Your friendly Joint-GM here.  8-) Can people please confirm if you know the Fallout 3 game quite well or you just like post-apoc setings and do not know the game. Thanks!

TheLivingWonder

Well, I'm as familiar as one might be after having played Fallout 3 and New Vegas for hours on end, but I can't say I've had the pleasure of trying out the earlier installments. Totally big on the whole post apocalyptic setting in general though most definitely.

Rachubka

Know Fallout 3 and New Vegas pretty well. Hard not to watch my roomie play it when he insists on doing so on the biggest TV in the house with surround sound. looooooooooool I play a bit too but don't tell him since it's his stuff. :D

Flow

Quote from: Haibane on January 12, 2011, 05:14:35 AM
Hello. Your friendly Joint-GM here.  8-) Can people please confirm if you know the Fallout 3 game quite well or you just like post-apoc setings and do not know the game. Thanks!

I'm pretty well acquainted with the game.
There was no beginning
There will be no end
There is only now

Lemon Lime

If you are still taking interest takers I am extremely interested! I love Fallout and post-apocalyptic stories. I know Fallout 3 fairly well but not perfectly and I usually do a bunch of research and reading before certain stories like this for my own benefit and nerdy-ness. :D
"And now, farewell to kindness, humanity and gratitude. I have substituted myself for Providence in rewarding the good; may the God of vengeance now yield me His place to punish the wicked."
-The Count of Monte Cristo

Lemon Lime's O/O          Lemon Lime's A/A

minotaurus

Sign me up also. I haven't played Fallout 3, but have finished but 1 and 2 and love the background and that environment.