Court of Dreams - Modern Fantasy [Recruitment]

Started by Wistful Dream, April 26, 2021, 10:53:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibliophilia

Hal...Mal!  -squeals in excitement.-  YAAAS!

-dances around.-

Hi, Miss Eleanora!  I'm considering a Jotunn myself, so this is absolutely not at all limited to any one culture's mythological beings.  Like Wisti said, it's just difficult to find a single word to cover all beings under the 'non-human' sort of umbrella.

Wistful Dream

Exactly like Lost Girl, though I'm not sure how many people have seen the show.

Totoro

Planting interest then reading through everything and making decisions!

Kadigan

Miss Eleanora

Quote from: Wistful Dream on April 26, 2021, 05:24:51 PM
Fae is just the term we chose to use to describe the mythological creatures since there are creatures of unknown on the shadows in nearly every culture. It was hard to chose just one thing word for it, but we aren't limited by western mythos or even traditional fae myth. Anything that's myth, legend or fantasy is entirely possible as long as you check with us. So lovecraftian is totally an option!

I see. Thanks for the clarification. :)

Also! With having lots of the actual mythological beings, what about the deities associated with them? Just curious for the purposes of figuring out how it all works.

Quote from: Bibliophilia on April 26, 2021, 05:27:09 PM
Hal...Mal!  -squeals in excitement.-  YAAAS!

-dances around.-

Hi, Miss Eleanora!  I'm considering a Jotunn myself, so this is absolutely not at all limited to any one culture's mythological beings.  Like Wisti said, it's just difficult to find a single word to cover all beings under the 'non-human' sort of umbrella.

Yeah that was something I was thinking too, Norse mythology has all sorts of fascinating things in it, and while some like the Hulder for instance really are rather classical fae like, some are their own thing.

Totoro

I'd like to claim the role Master of the Hunt if nobody else has?

And the FC Mariano Di Vaio.

How would things like folklore be considered in terms of mythology? E.g. the Chupacabra is as recent as 1995.

Miss Eleanora

Oh... Real people face claims. For a game with fantasy races and beings I figured it was art not real people.

Haloriel

I rewatch Lost Girl at least once every couple of years yessssssss. -giant cackles-

Bibliophilia

Quote from: Miss Eleanora on April 26, 2021, 06:25:18 PM
Oh... Real people face claims. For a game with fantasy races and beings I figured it was art not real people.

The FC is there for when/if your character wants to pass as human/if they have a human form.  We're okay with just using art if you'd rather not use a human face claim.

Miss Eleanora

Quote from: Bibliophilia on April 26, 2021, 06:42:03 PM
The FC is there for when/if your character wants to pass as human/if they have a human form.  We're okay with just using art if you'd rather not use a human face claim.

Ahh! Okay :)

I had also considered the master of the hunt role potentially.

Bibliophilia

There are Hunters!  If you can't get the role due to it being claimed, there are always those who work beneath each of the council members.

Wistful Dream

Master of the Hunt went quickly actually, but please feel free to consider similar character concepts. Rank within the Court can also be discussed if you have something particular in mind.

As far as deities go that would be a very rare thing. The nearest to 'gods' in the game are going to be the Barrier Breakers and that's one per continent. If you have a concept you really like that would tie into a deity please PM us so we can review and see if it would be a good fit.

Miss Eleanora

Steward could also be interesting as a possibility if that isn’t claimed yet? I would throw a hat in the ring?

I was mostly asking about deities since some mythical beings are connected to specific gods. Like valkyries in Norse mythology. As an example.

Foxy DeVille

Quote from: Bibliophilia on April 26, 2021, 06:50:41 PM
There are Hunters!  If you can't get the role due to it being claimed, there are always those who work beneath each of the council members.

I bet there are...  >:)

Bibliophilia

Ah!  Most major deities would have their roots in the Barrier-Breakers/other highly powerful Fae beings that were capable of wandering the human world before Barrier Fall.  So, likely the valkyries would be somehow associated with one of them, sort of how Dryads and other Satyr are associated with Pan.

Cer is basically the archetypal 'Horned God' from so many various mythos, all sort of sprung from him visiting the human realm and wandering about over his time.

Bibliophilia

Because the question has been posed (And I should have added it to the write-up):

The 'economy' in the Court of Dreams is based on a communistic barter system.  Cer and the council provide all the food and shelter that the members of the court who live within his realm require, and any shops or other merchants outside of what the court provides is a barter system.  There's no currency of the realm, and human money isn't allowed as a legal form of tender within the confines.

Of course, any and all are free to do as they like in the human world as far as that goes.

Malrunar

If we're able to reserve FC's...

Ayden Marie Vargas, please and thank you! ;D

Caela

Quote from: Haloriel on April 26, 2021, 06:35:09 PM
I rewatch Lost Girl at least once every couple of years yessssssss. -giant cackles-

Yesssss....It's one of my go to's when I want to binge but don't want to look up something new.

Wistful Dream

Totoro

Their world was similar and yet different; they had after all centuries, with time moving differently for them compared to humans, and while they did not use technology they did have magic and refined it to a society that was advanced in it's own right. There were large cities with mix of creatures use to living together, as well as territories claims by particular races or loose alliances. Some of their cities and settlements came through with the Barrier Breaking, and so there are places like an Fae city in up state New York where before there was only wild forest. While the two realms overlapped each other both sides felt certain pushes from the other, and so major human cities were largely empty spaces in their own world, and in ours the uncharted areas, the parks, the national forests were in fact Fae settlements, though they looked different from how humans built of course. There is some bleed over, and those places are called in slang Barrier blurs where a human city and a tree city of the fae might be mixed."

I've read this and I have a couple of questions.

When you say 'time moves differently' is it slower in the fae realms or faster or more like, just completely different and time as we know it would have little bearing?

I'm trying to map out the life/history of a fae prior to the fall and I'm not sure what their experiences would be. With an advanced society I'm assuming some kind of school system or would it be a little more rudimentary than that? I see currency is no longer a thing, but I assume occupations were?

Before the barrier fall could/did fae interact with humans in any way? Sorry if that's been answered. If they did interact was it normal or rare & what was fae society's view on doing so.

Was conflict quite a rare thing in fae society prior to their conflict with humans after the barrier fall?

Kadigan

I’m having a bit of a thought for police chief if we’re holding spots. I should be able to get it together shortly.

Wistful Dream

Quote from: Sun Wukong on April 26, 2021, 07:58:32 PM
When you say 'time moves differently' is it slower in the fae realms or faster or more like, just completely different and time as we know it would have little bearing?

Time is non linear for fae, and it was often at the whim of the ruler of a territory depending on the power of said ruler. As referenced in the setting info the Lord of Dreams is one of the few who could do this, as are the other Barrier Breakers. Fae don't measure time the same way human do.

QuoteI'm trying to map out the life/history of a fae prior to the fall and I'm not sure what their experiences would be. With an advanced society I'm assuming some kind of school system or would it be a little more rudimentary than that? I see currency is no longer a thing, but I assume occupations were?

It depends on the culture and area they lived in. Their world was every bit as diverse as ours and trying to quantify all of that is exhaustive and beyond what we would want to write and others would want to read. Your character could have come from a culture that supports a school system and occupations.

QuoteBefore the barrier fall could/did fae interact with humans in any way? Sorry if that's been answered. If they did interact was it normal or rare & what was fae society's view on doing so.

Was conflict quite a rare thing in fae society prior to their conflict with humans after the barrier fall?

There have been times in the past where the barrier wasn't as present, think ancient world, Celtic, Greek, Chinese, when the myths and legends have their roots. The barrier was thinner at this point, but as human tech advanced and they grew further from nature and magic the barrier grew denser and less and less Fae had the ability or inclination to travel into the human realm. In the past few centuries it was very rare for anything but the most powerful to have any interaction with the other realm. After all consider humanity's response to witches, with the burnings and trials. Fae learned that a solitary man was not a risk, but a mob was. I imagine horror stories for the fae involve human lynch mobs and pyres.

Again, the culture is as vast as ours, and the Barrier Breakers weren't going to involve themselves in every little fuss between factions, so conflict among fae does happen, for example orcs and elves are unlikely to get along typically.

Kadigan

Side question, how long did the fighting between humanity and Others last?

Miss Eleanora

Was my throwing the hat into the ring for the steward slot reservation okay?

Bibliophilia

Sure!  Sorry, we're both juggling a lot of stuff at the moment.  I'll make a note and as soon as Wist can she'll mark the position reserved!