Warhammer 40k: Dark Imperium Rogue Trader

Started by Conundrum, January 02, 2019, 01:07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGlyphstone

I'd also throw a hat in for consideration; my enjoyment of 40K and Rogue Trader wins out over my suspicion towards PbP system games. I'll have to look over the RT2.0 document, largely as a resource of comparison against my own one-man project writing a RT 2.0. ;D (Which I would have put forth as a suggestion, except it's extremely bare-bones with maaaaaaybe 5-10% of the options that massive doc has written).

Red Leaf

Oh wow, the RT 2.0 is a thing of wonder - Glyphstone's right that it's a mammoth effort! So many cool possibilities!

And yes, increasingly enamoured of some sort of Tech Priest - of a potentially quite theologically esoteric - sort! Hmmm, so many choices ...

Roleplay Frog

Quote from: Red Leaf on January 04, 2019, 02:33:55 PM
And yes, increasingly enamoured of some sort of Tech Priest - of a potentially quite theologically esoteric - sort! Hmmm, so many choices ...

This song can help narrow it down to Tech Priest. :P
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy-sVTaZRPk

Oh hey, there's a sister Pariah that are directly called out to potentially be tasked with serving on a rogue vessel.

Though they can't get any kinky corruptions. Ever. Hrmnhrmnn.. :P

SaintSicaire

I have to admit, that I'm completely unfamiliar with every system mentioned, but I like the premise!^^ I could use some grim-darkness right now... :D

I had a look at the Dark Heresy rulebook and think, given the possibility to ask someone, If I'm totally lost, I'd be really interested!

Characterwise...Maybe a Navigator? Although, given my chronic bad luck with dice, we might get eaten by the Warp pretty quickly^^
But I heard it's a good pain....
"Nideriu minne heizet diu sô swachet
    daz der lîp nâch kranker liebe ringet"

~Walther von der Vogelweide, german minstrel (1220)

Request-Thread
Ons//Offs

Conundrum

Before we get to making the ship, does anyone else have interest in the Rogue Trader role or is it solidly HairyHeretic's?
If I have not responded to a post in 4 days, send me a PM as I may have missed it.

TheGlyphstone

I was tentative, but not solidly committed. Wanted to look at alternatives first.

TheGlyphstone

Yeah, not interested in the Rogue Trader slot. Thinking I'll make a feral world shaman instead, with a really big nasty 'familiar' beast-companion.

Oh hey, there's a sister Pariah that are directly called out to potentially be tasked with serving on a rogue vessel.

Though they can't get any kinky corruptions. Ever. Hrmnhrmnn.. :P

Sounds like a bonus to me. All the kinky activity you'd like and the metaphysics of the universe can't punish you with deforming mutations or insanity for enjoying yourself.

Though looking at it directly, A Sister Pariah doesn't get any resistance or immunity to mutation/corruption. It's not a Pariah as in Untouchable, she's a "pariah" in that the other Sororitas now shun her as tainted by outsiders.

Red Leaf

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on January 04, 2019, 11:37:29 PM
Though looking at it directly, A Sister Pariah doesn't get any resistance or immunity to mutation/corruption. It's not a Pariah as in Untouchable, she's a "pariah" in that the other Sororitas now shun her as tainted by outsiders.

I believe she'd be getting that from the Adepta Sororitas background (Incorruptible Devotion: Whenever an Adepta Sororitas character would gain 1 or more Corruption Points, she gains that many Insanity Points minus 1 (to a minimum of 0) instead.) rather than the career! At least it allows SaintSicaire some potential fun with mindbreak stuff if we go down that road? In my experience in tabletop, Sororitas tend to rack up a fair amount of insanity pretty quickly if they get a lot into these sorts of situation.

Roleplay Frog

What Red Leaf said. It's not an immunity to corruption so much as a translation of corruption into insanity. No growing a hand-mouth or a second pair of bewbs, ... to name random examples. *whistles* But more the walls are melting because y'all can't stay faithful to the emperor over Xenos-booty.

TheGlyphstone

Ah, I see now.

I just want to be a wizard riding a dinosaur.

Red Leaf

An extremely relatable feel.

So, as it stands, among all people who've expressed an interest, this is what people have expressed an interest in (and this includes some people who posted before we firmed up on FFG) -

• DrowDeviant - some sort of Knight Scion? (which I noticed is covered in the RT 2.0 document, although the actual Knight itself is only in other homebrew ...) Or a female dark eldar/tech priest/Primaris librarian
  • Roleplay Frog - Sister Pariah
  • Ironwolf85 - either a humanish Ork Dok, or a highly enthusiastic trans SoB-turned-Inquisitor
  • SaintSicaire - some sort of Navigator
  • Hairyheretic - Rogue Trader
  • Red Leaf - Tech Priest
  • The Glyphstone - dino-wizard feral world shaman.

A well-adjusted and, er, well-oiled team, I'm sure! Depending on how some of the characters get statted up, it feels like there's a lot of people in cool distinct roles, too?

TheGlyphstone

Yeah, that's the other drawback to that document, it's clearly a WIP. About half the options are blank and pending fill-in.

Conundrum

1e is naturally more complete is people are worried about that.  2e DH did some work from 1e systems so both have some advantages and disadvantages.

I am able to run either system.
If I have not responded to a post in 4 days, send me a PM as I may have missed it.

TheGlyphstone

I'd prefer the 2e, as haphazard as it is, because Aptitudes are a far superior system overall.

This is the RT2.0 project I've been devising. It's more complete, but is also a lot different; the Ordo Discordia version is trying to translate everything for RT directly into DH2 rules; I was operating from some very different design principles.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WEmgtlQAC8jzKVD-ayTNei9HfsRhHghUL_QKYvJOavA/edit#

It also has far fewer character options compared to the OD one. I think OD's is superior for now.

Drowdeviant

Quote from: Red Leaf on January 05, 2019, 12:11:23 PM
An extremely relatable feel.

So, as it stands, among all people who've expressed an interest, this is what people have expressed an interest in (and this includes some people who posted before we firmed up on FFG) -

• DrowDeviant - some sort of Knight Scion? (which I noticed is covered in the RT 2.0 document, although the actual Knight itself is only in other homebrew ...)
  • Roleplay Frog - Sister Pariah
  • Ironwolf85 - either a humanish Ork Dok, or a highly enthusiastic trans SoB-turned-Inquisitor
  • SaintSicaire - some sort of Navigator
  • Hairyheretic - Rogue Trader
  • Red Leaf - Tech Priest
  • The Glyphstone - dino-wizard feral world shaman.

A well-adjusted and, er, well-oiled team, I'm sure! Depending on how some of the characters get statted up, it feels like there's a lot of people in cool distinct roles, too?

I’m considering more than just the knight scion leaf.

Good thing about using the aptitude system is the flexibility. xD
My F-list: https://www.f-list.net/c/wolf%20king%20ii
My A/As: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=223237.0 -My RPs and how many I can do at one time

Conundrum

One of the first things that needs to be figured out will be who is the Rogue Trader and their character since everyone else needs some kind of connection with them.

Roleplay Frog

Not it!

.. I mean I've not used these systems in years. :P

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Conundrum on January 05, 2019, 12:49:37 PM
One of the first things that needs to be figured out will be who is the Rogue Trader and their character since everyone else needs some kind of connection with them.

Though if the RT player ups and vanishes, that can kill the game. So having inter-character ties as well is good, assuming there is a PC Rogue Trader at all.

Conundrum

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on January 05, 2019, 01:10:11 PM
Though if the RT player ups and vanishes, that can kill the game. So having inter-character ties as well is good, assuming there is a PC Rogue Trader at all.

If they disappear once the game starts we can kill them off and you guys can Weekend at Bernies it.

Red Leaf

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on January 05, 2019, 01:10:11 PM

Good point! Something I've sometimes seen in other games has been an NPC-ish Rogue Trader in nominal control of the ship, but who has (through inability, illness, or injury) been relegated to their sickbed/cryo-chamber etc. while the PCs act in their absence as a kind of interim junta-type group. Depending on what Hairyheretic wants, we could go with him as the active Rogue Trader, or what's outlined above, or both (with the nominal 'ship's commander' having HH as a sibling or whatever! (apologies for volunteering you HH, btw!)

EDIT: basically the weekend at Bernies situation, that too!

Re:rulesets: fine on either take on RT 2.0! I am going to bookmark the Glyphstone's one (thank you :D) for future reference (the expanded cybernetics stuff is sick, and I like the origin path style), while the OD stuff seems to offer a wider range of archetypes simply because of how /much/ there is of it? Both are probably better than RT 1.0 which yikes is coming up to ten years old this year.

Quote from: Drowdeviant on January 05, 2019, 12:27:43 PM
I’m considering more than just the knight scion leaf.

Good thing about using the aptitude system is the flexibility. xD

Ooops! Sorry!  :-[ Modified in line with what you've posted in the thread.

Roleplay Frog

Quote from: Conundrum on January 05, 2019, 01:18:02 PM
If they disappear once the game starts we can kill them off and you guys can Weekend at Bernies it.

It was at this point in time that Roleplay Frog came up with an amusing suggestion.

You know, we could just start things off that way already, assume the trader peaced out, start the campaign literally in the middle of being hit with a meteorite that downed the captain, as no one really wants to do 'em anyway I feel like, and...

The Frog decided to push his luck.

You know, some Slaanesh demons going wild to get things started up kinkily too, we gotta deal with the after-effects, finish the mission...

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Roleplay Frog on January 05, 2019, 01:27:03 PM
It was at this point in time that Roleplay Frog came up with an amusing suggestion.

You know, we could just start things off that way already, assume the trader peaced out, start the campaign literally in the middle of being hit with a meteorite that downed the captain, as no one really wants to do 'em anyway I feel like, and...

The Frog decided to push his luck.

You know, some Slaanesh demons going wild to get things started up kinkily too, we gotta deal with the after-effects, finish the mission...

We're playing Rogue Trader, Frog, not Black Crusade. :D

Roleplay Frog

Drowdeviant

My F-list: https://www.f-list.net/c/wolf%20king%20ii
My A/As: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=223237.0 -My RPs and how many I can do at one time

HairyHeretic

Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.