Good, Scary Movie Suggestions?

Started by LostInTheMist, August 25, 2019, 01:32:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wander

Let the Right One In, either the original vampire flick or the US remake with lil Chloe Moretz, I haven't seen mentioned. Not the most watchable when compared to some classics like Alien, Evil Dead, The Exorcist or The Fly (Jeff Goldblum version), though it's a pretty unique take on the vampire myth and holds a palpable sense of tension and dread, like it's a horrible nightmare rather than some horror schlock. I find the Chloe Moretz version to be a little easier to watch as it's less unrelentingly grim feeling than the original, though YMMV.

Mathim

I feel like the From Dusk Til Dawn trilogy was pretty solid.

Oh, and if it hasn't been mentioned yet, 30 Days of Night was probably one of the best vampire movies I've ever seen.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

wander

Quote from: Mathim on September 19, 2019, 10:34:12 AM
I feel like the From Dusk Til Dawn trilogy was pretty solid.

Oh, and if it hasn't been mentioned yet, 30 Days of Night was probably one of the best vampire movies I've ever seen.

Fuck no, 30 Days of Night was just vampires hissing and gooning at the camera whilst everything was tinted with a blue filter, it was just bad.

Oniya

I saw an interesting concept for a zombie movie while I was looking things up over on IMDB.

Pontypool spends the whole movie (pretty much) in a radio studio, while the zombie situation occurs outside - and it's not your usual type of zombie infection, either.  The infected folks are called 'conversationalists'.  There is a bit of gore, according to the synopsis (which pretty much gives away the whole movie, so read at your own risk.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Mathim

Quote from: wander on September 19, 2019, 10:57:43 AM
Fuck no, 30 Days of Night was just vampires hissing and gooning at the camera whilst everything was tinted with a blue filter, it was just bad.

What movie were you watching?  ???

I liked Stephen King's The Mist. Haven't watched the series yet but it sounds different than the movie so I'm not sure if it'll be good.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Inkidu

Quote from: Oniya on September 19, 2019, 01:39:55 PM
I saw an interesting concept for a zombie movie while I was looking things up over on IMDB.

Pontypool spends the whole movie (pretty much) in a radio studio, while the zombie situation occurs outside - and it's not your usual type of zombie infection, either.  The infected folks are called 'conversationalists'.  There is a bit of gore, according to the synopsis (which pretty much gives away the whole movie, so read at your own risk.)
I've seen it. It's a pretty low key affair where the mystery of what's causing the zombie outbreak takes front and center. It's worth a watch.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Mathim

The Poughkeepsie Tapes is a pretty interesting one. Found footage style about a fictional but very effective and complex serial killer. Like a non-supernatural version of Sinister.

Inkidu

Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon.

If you're looking for a kind of meta-analysis of the slasher-movie genre that isn't shoved up its own butt or totally immersion breaking this is a great movie. So many are, "Look how we can tear this logic down!" and the this one is more like, "Let's examine why these tropes are important and have a kind of open ended conversation about them."
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Mathim

Couple of gems from New Zealand:

Deathgasm
Black Sheep

Plenty of comedy to go along with the horror but some AMAZING graphical effects on the gory and inhuman stuff.

Oniya

Okay - here's one that's more psychological in nature.

Spider - which does not (despite the name) involve the 8-legged beasties in any major way.

Memory is an interesting thing - and even more so, when memory is unreliable.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

RedPhoenix

I love horror movies!

I think The Ring is one of the scariest movies I've ever seen, and the acting in it is phenomenal. I actually think it's better than the Japanese movie it was based on.

I also highly recommend The VVitch. It's so well crafted. Not like a jump out and scare you movie but a lot of tension and sort of like, existential despair.

And of course Cabin in the Woods for real fans of horror movies for all the homage it pays. :)

Candyman I think is one of the best horror movies of its time.

Get Out probably the smartest and best horror movie made in the last ten years or so. Very sort of trope-conscious but doesn't subvert just to subvert, I really loved it.

Goodnight Mommy is just horrifyingly disturbing and tense.

I'm sure there are many more those are the ones that pop into my head!
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs | Canon in Red
I move the stars for no one.

Mathim

Zombieland Double Tap was great. It's got a more serious tone in many ways than the original and the stakes are much higher so it gets a bigger adrenaline rush than the first, too. Strong recommend.

Inkidu

If you're looking for something in the vein of old-style Gothic Horror but with a more modern update, and you don't mind that it goes on for perhaps thirty minutes longer than it needs to A Cure for Wellness is just this great moody piece that doesn't rely on jump scares in the least. It plays all these great games and just sets a scene so well.

RedRose

Quote from: Mathim on September 15, 2019, 08:22:59 PM
I wish they would adapt more H.P. Lovecraft stories into movies. From Beyond is a pretty creepy one, though I think the premise from the book worked better than the movie. But at least it had the guy from the original Dawn of the Dead in it.

Sadly those I've watched were… LACKING. One of them had me laughing instead of cowering in terror  ???
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]

Mathim

Quote from: Inkidu on October 21, 2019, 10:26:20 PM
If you're looking for something in the vein of old-style Gothic Horror but with a more modern update, and you don't mind that it goes on for perhaps thirty minutes longer than it needs to A Cure for Wellness is just this great moody piece that doesn't rely on jump scares in the least. It plays all these great games and just sets a scene so well.

Strong disagree. The reveal paid off very poorly and made little internal sense in retrospect.

Quote from: RedRose on October 22, 2019, 10:35:28 AM
Sadly those I've watched were… LACKING. One of them had me laughing instead of cowering in terror  ???

Dagon was probably the best one. Although that was more of an adaptation of The Shadow Over Innsmouth than the actual story Dagon, which is also something that merits and adaptation. Give me a good adaptation of At the Mountains of Madness, too.