Calling Bullshit (Discussion of 'powers')

Started by Sabby, April 28, 2011, 05:05:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

A New Orleans woman with the power to bring cyclones, thunder storms and floods...

TheGlyphstone

That's tremendous irony and more than a bit of a Funny Aneurysm Moment, but I wouldn't call it racist. Storm was invented decades before Hurricane Katrina.

Oniya

Not that Katrina was the first storm to hit Nawlins. ::)  http://www.hurricanecity.com/city/neworleans.htm

But aside from that - I'm trying to remember if Spyke (I think he was called Marrow in the comic books) was originally black.  For some reason, I don't think he was.

EDIT:  Did research.  Spyke is not Marrow, and the similarity of their powers was completely coincidental.  Also, Marrow was female as well as being white (well, Morlock, but whatever).  They wanted a 'racially diverse' group for Evolution, and making Bishop (the first male African-American X-Man) into a teenager would have gone over about as well as making Wolvie a teen.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Violence

Shadow King was also a black african character.  I don't know if he's still active or not, but he was big in Storm's background stories.  He's not usually seen in corporeal form, though.

And there's Apocalypse who's technically African in the same way that Nightcrawler or Mystique are technically white.  I don't know if you'd still them given that their mutation kinda nullifies ethnicity.  I could have sworn there was another really signifigant black mutant on the X-Men, though, but my head keeps going back to Black Panther who isn't a mutant...

Though, I'm kicking myself for having forgotten Bishop.  I used to love that guy. *laughs*
"Inciting Violence" (O/O) | "Random Acts of Violence" (Requests/Ideas) | Language of Violence (A Story I'm Working On)

And it all breaks down at the role reversal . Got the muse in my head she's universal . Spinnin' me round she's coming over me.
Domestic Violence (My OC's) | The Art of Violence (Stuff I Draw'd) | The Absense of Violence (A/A)

Cravings::  ANYTHING with Ballerinas! | Playing a cheating wife/girlfriend scenario. | Something that lets me play Jaime Lannister.

Oniya

Quote from: Violence on July 31, 2011, 04:53:47 PM
Shadow King was also a black african character.  I don't know if he's still active or not, but he was big in Storm's background stories.  He's not usually seen in corporeal form, though.

He had a brief appearance in 'Wolverine and the X-Men' (got the smackdown from Emma Frost, if I remember the episode right).  I also focused on actual 'X-men' , rather than mutants in general, but now that I look back at the earlier post, I shouldn't have.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Violence

Quote from: Oniya on July 31, 2011, 04:59:48 PM
He had a brief appearance in 'Wolverine and the X-Men' (got the smackdown from Emma Frost, if I remember the episode right).  I also focused on actual 'X-men' , rather than mutants in general, but now that I look back at the earlier post, I shouldn't have.

Yeah, I saw that episode, I think it might have been the last episode of W&tXM that I actually saw.  Emma Frost... everything about her screams she should be a character I love, yet I just can't even like her...

Shadow King also had at least one episode on Evolution.  It's hard for me to keep the Evolution episode order in track in my head so I don't know if he ever came back.  He tends to play the role of the "Bane" of Telepath characters, in my experience with him... he only really shows up when you want to remind the audience how awesome somebody else is, it seems.
"Inciting Violence" (O/O) | "Random Acts of Violence" (Requests/Ideas) | Language of Violence (A Story I'm Working On)

And it all breaks down at the role reversal . Got the muse in my head she's universal . Spinnin' me round she's coming over me.
Domestic Violence (My OC's) | The Art of Violence (Stuff I Draw'd) | The Absense of Violence (A/A)

Cravings::  ANYTHING with Ballerinas! | Playing a cheating wife/girlfriend scenario. | Something that lets me play Jaime Lannister.

Sabby

Ooohh, I love this one, can't believe I left it out. In Power Rangers: SPD, there was an alien who was cutting into bank vaults, but there was no trace of filings, use of heat... anything to suggest how the clean cut was made. All that was left was a tiny drop of water that only Bridge, the Green Ranger saw.

He was so convinced he knew the culprit that he lifted a car and tosses it at the girl, who proceeded to slice the car in two, mid air, with an extremely pressurized jet of water, something her species can do. It was like a precision laser that treated metal like wet paper.

I know, I know, Power Rangers, it's silly, but I was really interested in this because they made an effort of explaining how it worked, which wasn't very common at that point in the show, and now I'm curious if it's even remotely possible.

So could you cut a car with a jet of water? Failing that, a couch? A carton of milk? Anything tougher then a cotton bud really.

Oniya

It's actually water with some sort of grit in it, but yes.  Computer-controlled water-jets are used in machine-shops to fabricate parts to precise tolerances.  (Mr. Oniya has this fascination with O.C.C.)

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on August 13, 2011, 09:31:21 AM
Ooohh, I love this one, can't believe I left it out. In Power Rangers: SPD, there was an alien who was cutting into bank vaults, but there was no trace of filings, use of heat... anything to suggest how the clean cut was made. All that was left was a tiny drop of water that only Bridge, the Green Ranger saw.

He was so convinced he knew the culprit that he lifted a car and tosses it at the girl, who proceeded to slice the car in two, mid air, with an extremely pressurized jet of water, something her species can do. It was like a precision laser that treated metal like wet paper.

I know, I know, Power Rangers, it's silly, but I was really interested in this because they made an effort of explaining how it worked, which wasn't very common at that point in the show, and now I'm curious if it's even remotely possible.

So could you cut a car with a jet of water? Failing that, a couch? A carton of milk? Anything tougher then a cotton bud really.
They're called water saws. They're slow but silent. You can cut through safes with them and not really damage the stuff inside if you have enough time and know what you're doing.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Oniya

The speed depends on a number of factors.  The frame of the car would get cut a lot slower than the body panels, for example.

Sabby

Wow, you can really cut a vault with water? I honestly wasn't expecting that to be possible right now, was more looking for thearetical. Anyway, first scene of this vid is what happened. Yes, it's in French x.x Saban nuked majority of Power Rangers footage from Youtube.

Power Rangers SPD ep6 partie 3.wmv

Even if we lack the technology right, this kind of thing is just physics, so it's possible, in some way, just haven't really got a robust knowledge of experimental water lasers :P

Oniya

Krysia

Quote from: Sabby on May 01, 2011, 11:20:28 AM
Is there an official explanation on how Gambits powers work? Because that'd be helpful in this thread :)

Not sure if this will help explain how Gambit uses his powers but it's an explanation on how he uses it from the system game I'm running. >.> Hope it helps some!

Energy Channeling (Social) [AL]
Rather than release energy "in the raw", this power allows a mutant to imbue objects (usually inorganic ones) with this energy, which can have a variety of effects. Gambit's power is a form of Energy Channeling (Kinetic), while Iceman demonstrated in Legionquest that he can do Energy Channeling (Cold) even on living beings. No roll is required to channel the energy, though Gambit needs a Dexterity + Missiles roll to hit his target with his charged cards. While the variety of energy channeled will largely determine the effects of this power and its possible Power Stunts, there are a few commonalities:

* An object can absorb one full charge (that is, the maximum amount of energy that the mutant can put out in one round) per Health Level that it possesses. Thus, Gambit's playing cards can hold one charge, while the Phalanx that he charged could have held seven charges or more. This is not to say that a mutant with Energy Channeling ¥ could charge a playing card five times because a character with Energy Channeling ¥¥¥¥¥ can store a charge with five times the concussive power in it. Rather, both mutants force roughly the same amount of power into the card, but the mutant with the higher Rank can get more of it to stick. Any further attempts on the part of the low-level mutant to charge the card will still cause it to explode, since the amount he's trying to force in PLUS the small amount that is already in the card are too much to coexist in an item with only one Health Level, even for an instant.

* These charges dissipate at the rate of one die from the damage dice pool per round, until they are drained.

* Any attempt to 'over-charge' an object will force it to burst, releasing all the energy that it had absorbed.

Special Flaw: One Medium (2 points)- the mutant can only channel energy through one particular kind of matter, be it water, flesh, or iron. The X-Treme can only channel through blood.

¥ One die of damage
¥¥ Two dice of damage
¥¥¥ Three dice of damage
¥¥¥¥ Four dice of damage

This is the system's explanation of Kenetic Force as well:

Kinetic force- Energy Resistance isn't going to help you against this one. It's like a good old-fashioned punch in the head. You can grossly manipulate objects with it as well as attack people. Gambit channels kinetic force.

They also list his mutant abilities in the system as listed:

Powers
   Mega-Manipulation ¥
   Hyper-Subterfuge ¥
   Hyper-Missiles ¥
   Energy Channeling (Kinetic) ¥¥¥¥
   Detection (Telepathic Invasion) ¥
   Persuasion ¥¥
   Psychic Defense ¥¥
   Heightened Reflexes ¥
   Altered Perceptions (Spatial Sense) ¥¥¥

LunarSage

Quote from: Violence on July 31, 2011, 04:53:47 PM
I could have sworn there was another really signifigant black mutant on the X-Men, though, but my head keeps going back to Black Panther who isn't a mutant...

Well the Shadow King was not black per say... he was Middle eastern.  Amahl Farouk was always portrayed visually as having very light skin (when I was younger I actually thought he was white).

As far as other black characters in the X-Men...

There was Maggot, as well as Cecilia Reyes (though I'm not sure if she was ever an actual X-Man).  As far as supporting cast, there was Stevie Hunter who was Kitty's dance teacher. 

As far as offensive characters go, the worst would have to be the Morlock known as "Tar Baby".

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫