News:

Main Menu

Recommend any anime?

Started by Combicon, December 14, 2009, 01:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Combicon

I've kind of fallen out of touch with anime (and manga) in general, and while I do love anime, I haven't ever really bought any (or downloaded much), so I was wondering if anyone could recommend anything to me?

The only real one that I own (of a series) and have watched, is Full Metal Panic, which I love (and do hope to get Fomoufu some day).
And the only one that I have (of films) is Nausicaa of the valley of the wind.
I've also seen Princess Mononoke, Pom Poko (I think), Spirited Away, and probably several others by Studio Ghibli (all of which I have loved so far).

Using an anime genre-selector didn't really help me find many, but using that to select some genres / themes I like:
Action, adventure, comedy, fantasy, sci-fi, romance.
Cat-girls, ecchi, fanservice, harem, mecha, military (possibly), school life,  steampunk, or Yuri.

I'm not really looking for anything explicit; I don't mind if it has explicit/nude/sex scenes, just so long as they aren't too frequent / aren't too long (if that makes sense).

So, anyone able to? :D

Caliban

I know little about anime, so my only suggestion would be to look at TV Tropes.
"All jocks think about is sports.  All nerds think about is sex." Somewhere at the edge of the bell curve is the girl for me.
"Take off your clothes.  And roll for initiative." I burn for you: I Cor. 7:9
System RP: Shadows of Terramar (d20 fantasy) * Pulp Scripture (WoD contemporary supernatural) * Perfidious Albion (GURPS steampunk)
Do the rocks in my head fit the holes in yours? --> Oohs and Ahhs
Meae Culpae (A&A)

Drake Valentine

There was this one site that had a good genre searching for anime finding.. I'll see if I can locate it for you.

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Drake Valentine

Do You have Favorite Anime Is good topic already in this forum that users have listed various anime along with a few doing descriptions to them. Animefreak's Genre Searcher Is also a good device in finding anime, as it shows a picture of the anime and gives a basic bio short description about it. Plus you can pretty check out episodes in subtitles if your connection speed is high enough. Though all series from that site are tasteful, I don't think they have anything deemed 'adult' material as I am a frequent visitor of them.

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Cold Heritage

Perhaps try Godannar? It has: ecchi, fanservice, harem, mecha, military (possibly), school life, action, adventure, comedy, fantasy, sci-fi, romance.

Here, watch the 1st OP:

Godannar Opening
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Hayato

I would recommend Tactical Roar. It has what Godannar has, and I really enjoyed the plot as well. Only thing it lacks is school-life.
Tactical Roar Opening

Another good one is Hayate the Combat Butler. Although, I've only read the manga

Hayate Combat Butler Opening 2

Mnemaxa

If you can find Vampire Princess Miyu the OAV it is excellent stuff. 

Bubblegum Crisis and Bubblegum Crisis 2024 is also good stuff. 

The 2005 release of Appleseed and Appleseed: Dues Ex Machina.

For head tripping brainplay, Paranoia Agent, Higurashi: When They Cry, and the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya will twist your ideas of how anime works.  Careful of the 8th episode.

Ghost in the Shell movie and it's follow up GitS Innocence; and Ghost in the Shell: Stand alone Complex (a series) are very good.  Not kids stuff.  Also, subtitles are best for the movies (you miss some jokes and plot if you use the dubs).

Neo Ranga is a series of very short (15 minute) episodic serial, where the ownership of a god and the dangerous price one can pay for it are examined in detail.

And for sheer joy, Unico and the Island of lost Toys, and Kiki's Delivery Service as well as The Cat Returns by the master himself, Miyzaki are lovely. 

Steamboy, Akira, and Metropolis are in depth twists on old stories in movies.  Lensman is a glorious romp through badly translated scifi territory, and the first anime movie to come to America after Akira.

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.

Puppet D

Escaflowne and Gundam Wing are two of my favorite.
O/Os ~ A/As ~
"To her you're just a play thing;
she'll make you out to be a king,
then set fire to your throne."
- Phar West Nagle

Thanatos

I know its not on your list, but let me suggest:

Blood: The Last Vampire. It's a pretty interesting anime.

There is a second, alternate universe series called Blood+. It's alright, but I didn't find it as engaging as the original.

There is additionally a live action movie called Blood: The Last Vampire which is mostly based off the original one, but has some elements of Blood+ in it as well. It's only mediocre as far as movies go, but it is very pretty.

upanddown4life

Look into Negima. There are two series (live action doesn't count) and some OVAs and they're very distinct but alike enough to be recognizable. If you want more light-hearted stuff with focus on school life and awkward semi-romance, go with Negima!. If you would rather see artistic magical combat between bits of pure comedic lunacy, Negima!? is your series. A word of warning about Negima: If you watch it dubbed, be patient with Negi's voice. I swear you'll get used to it and the rest of the cast does really well.

GAINAX=great. Plain and simple. Neon Genesis Evangelion, FLCL, Gurren Lagann. Find. Watch. Love.

If you're looking for pure comedy, try Lucky Star (though you may need to do homework to get a lot of it and very little actually happens in it. Seriously, you can use it as background noise while playing a game and not miss anything) and Keroro Gunsou, known in English as Sgt. Frog.

The Tenchi Muyo! series are harem comedy classics.

Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo should not be missed if you love action, comedy and an ultra-cool atmosphere.

Other various recommendations are Love Hina, Desert Punk, Trigun, Hellsing, Outlaw Star, Azumanga Daioh, VanDread, Crayon Shin-chan, Burst Angel, FullMetal Alchemist (which I don't think is related to Full Metal Panic), Ichigo 100% and Chocotto Sister.

You might dabble in Dragon Ball. Just dabble, enough that if someone who's really into anime asks if you've seen it, they won't ridicule you, but that about it. Its maybe ten pounds of awesome in an OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAND pound sack.

Quote from: Mnemaxa on December 18, 2009, 03:42:29 AM
For head tripping brainplay, Paranoia Agent, Higurashi: When They Cry, and the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya will twist your ideas of how anime works.  Careful of the 8th episode.

Higurashi will twist your ideas and stomach. Its a high quality series in art, story-telling and acting. Among the best I've seen. But unless you're at the very least okay with gore, I would say no on that one. It isn't that violent as anime goes, but when it is, its quite frankly fucked up. Kids and crows. All I'm sayin'.