Main Menu

Saints Row 2

Started by ZK, September 24, 2008, 10:35:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZK

I seen this video and couldn't help but snicker. ^.^

Enjoy. :D
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

Revolverman

holy shit, that looks really fun!

and yes, that vid was awesome, love the Pirates and Ninjas.

Destiny Ascension

Haha, I can't wait till Saints Row 2 comes out! :P

Gary Busey is involved....nuff said.
"Build courage when courage seems to fail, gain faith when there seems to be little cause for faith, create hope when hope becomes forlorn."
Andraste's flaming sword! I know where babies come from!

Revolverman

Quote from: Destiny Ascension on September 25, 2008, 07:31:44 AM
Haha, I can't wait till Saints Row 2 comes out! :P

Gary Busey is involved....nuff said.

I loved him in GTA vice city

ZK

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

Sabby

I'm just thrilled at the variety of combat... one thing I love in a lot of games is grappling. It just adds a lot more to a game when you can decide "Know what, I'll just shove you down these stairs and fight your friends instead"

MagicalPen

Isnt this just a spinoff of GTA?

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

Sabby

Its gotten to a point where ripping off GTA is a field of its own and not a criticism... I remember when SR1 came out they said "Its definitely one of the better GTA clones" it made me chuckle ^__^

ZK

There is also a zombie survival game in the game itself. Saints Row 2 is more then a "GTA clone" as it's obviously attempting to branch out and do things GTA didn't while still having that urban sandbox feel. Which is something I love... and especially customization options.

Sabby

Quote from: ZK on September 25, 2008, 10:14:06 AM
There is also a zombie survival game in the game itself. Saints Row 2 is more then a "GTA clone" as it's obviously attempting to branch out and do things GTA didn't while still having that urban sandbox feel. Which is something I love... and especially customization options.

Couldn't agree more. It looks like three times the game SR1 was...

ZK

In a couple of actual releases, I can see the Saints Row franchise branch off like GTA did and actually become a competitor to the actual strong GTA line.

Is this a good thing? Yes. Why? I find myself enjoying Saints Row more, mainly for the customization, quirky humor (that seems to be lacking mainly [well, it's in there, but not as much as it was] in the latest GTA games) and other things. Sure it looks "cartoony" in comparison to GTA. But, it has many, many things GTA doesn't offer.

Sabby

It also doesn't have that horribly bright spotlight GTA does, which is a blessing in itself... SR can get away with a lot that just won't fly with a GTA game these days (airplanes, chainsaws and alcohol induced super strength come to mind)

ZK

Well, it's suppose to be different and over the top.

As for other things, you can pick up to six different voices for your characters. Three male, Three female.

Each with minor adjustments to the script.

Although it'd been better with eight. They merged white and Asian. Apparently seeing as the new Asian gang is Japanese.

Inkidu

Pirates and ninjas getting along. It's a sign of the apocalypse! *Runs away with hands over head screaming.*
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Grimm

Well, I'm excited.  Anybody up for some Live action when it comes out?

Destiny Ascension

I'll be getting it on PS3, I don't like paying for similar services :P

I love the Co-op aspect, plus the sandbox feel is definitely a big plus. I can't wait to play this game, its gonna be freakin' awesome.
"Build courage when courage seems to fail, gain faith when there seems to be little cause for faith, create hope when hope becomes forlorn."

MagicalPen

I'll have to keep an eye out for it. Bought Hells Highway today for PS3. Fallout3 might be the next game i purchase, but for the PC.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

Chris Brady

You know, I don't normally like these types of games (As Sabby should know, I've ranted on GTA3 enough times on IRC :P) but this looks...  Amusing enough for me to pick it up.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Kazae

Sold.

Who's going to join me in making an Elliquiy PS3 posse?
...................__
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
..........................'...../
..........''............. _.·´
..........................(
Yes, I'm probably over-thinking.  Yes, I'm going to continue over-thinking.
There are enough people out there running on autopilot;someone has to make up for those lost synaptic cycles, and it may as well be me.

Push Button...

ZK

And it's the zombie survival horror game inside the game! Yep. A game inside a game.

Revolverman

wow, there going all out in this game, I guess they didn't like being called a GTA clone

Destiny Ascension

I can't wait for this, Zombies are fun to kill.

...and the odd gangbanger as well....

XD

Sabby

Read the review and saw the video review on IGN. Definitely getting it.

Minigames involve streaking, driving an ATV quad in a fire proof suit while on fire and having to cause as much arson as possible, and parachuting so you can defaecate on key areas to destroy their property value.

Revolverman

Quote from: Sabbat on October 12, 2008, 04:05:37 AM

and parachuting so you can defaecate on key areas to destroy their property value.

Well, gang wars are no longer the best way to destroy Property Value.

magnamos

Since I'm a proud owner of a 360 now please tell me more about this turf battle. What do I have to expect. I really have no idea what to imagine. All I saw for now is a 3rd Person Action Game.

ZK

Having a lot of fun with this one, especially when the main character attempts to sing with the radio. It's hilarious.

Sabby

It looks way too similar to the first... and the gameplay was so bland and boring. MAY pick it up for all the new content (weapons, fighting styles, customizing) but I doubt I'll get it soon. Maybe used.

ZK

Heh, I have an exactly opposite opinion about it. I -love- the game, much so the second one more. Only thing hampering it is glitches.

GTA IV was a letdown to me.

Revolverman

alot of people seem to think GTA 4 was overrated.

Sabby

I still play it, almost daily :) spoiled kids these days are far too hard to please.

Any way, I'm just going off of gameplay footage here, and it looks like Saints Row 1.5 instead of 2... but I'll rent before I commit to that statement :)

Avi

Saint's Row 2 really has a lot to live up to.  GTA IV pretty much redefined the sandbox game genre, and lots of people are going to expect SR2 to follow suit.  Frankly, I doubt it will live up to the hype.
Your reality doesn't apply to me...

ZK

That's the thing, SR2 isn't GTA, it isn't even trying to be GTA. GTA IV in my opinion didn't redefine sandbox games, San Andreas redefined that. If GTA IV was San Andreas wit the same amount of things to do, customization with the new graphics and so on, then it'd be redefined.

Thing is, what SR2 says it offers, it actually delivers on it. The fact it isn't a GTA clone anymore and now GTA's goofy cousin (purposely) makes it shine more in my heart then any GTA game.

Inkidu

Well GTA, for history's sake, was not the first sandbox game. Driver was the first game to do that. GTA just added a little more controversy and refined game play.
I never played Saints Row in depth but it seemed a little more geared to over the top action, while GTA sticks to more realistic (Relatively) than SR. Also I tend to prefer the tongue-in-cheek humor of GTA.

(Oh and ZK you got me totally interested in Fallout and now I am trying to download it.)
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sabby

Bought it. Love it. Can't put it down. I love Fuzz <3

ZK

The only thing that mars SR2 is it's glitches, which hopefully will be patched.

The game is much more detailed then the first one, many diversions, activities and other things to do. Already clocked over 50 hours into it.

Revolverman

I find it interesting the TV ads play up the hardcore gang-banging, but the internet ads play up the goofy fun of it.

ZK

Revolverman

Quote from: ZK on October 19, 2008, 02:15:42 AM
It's actually both.

Ohh, nice. GTA has lost too much of its goofy fun for me.

Sabby

Yeah... one particular scene really threw me. It was totally serious and harsh.

ZK

And if it's the one I am thinking, not exactly something I'd even expect to see in GTA. It is of the ouchness factor.

Sabby

We probably are thinking of the same thing here, but I'll keep the spoilies out. All I'll say is it involves the Ronin. Are we on the same page?

"Get up"

ZK

Then again, there are many dark scenes. The storyline is darker then the original Saints Row.

Afraid not, you're in for a gruesome treat then. If you think the Ronin is bad, see the Brotherhood or Sons of Samedi.

Sabby

Oh boy x.x the Ronin scene was pretty epic though...

ZK

For the secret mission, go to the Stillwater PD in the Ultor Saints Row district and explore around in it. You can actually miss this mission when you beat the game.

Sabby

Thanks for the heads up :)

Is there a secret Dildo weapon there?

ZK

No, there isn't a sex toy weapon, but beat all the ambulance missions and you'll get shock paddle weapons.

Sabby

...Are there any sex toy weapons at all? XD

ZK

None.

That may change though, after all, Tera Patrick is going to be part of a DLC package.

Aiden

So i played this game at a friends house....and I'm going to need my own copy asap....
*Cry*