You can't take the sky from me!

Started by Missy, September 20, 2011, 10:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Missy

Firefly Opening Credits

It's Firefly's ninth birthday on thursday!

Happy Birthday FF/S.

Favourite episode?

I like Out of Gas. I still remember how scared for Mal I was the first time I saw it.

Craz

My favorite will always be "Our Mrs. Reynolds," for the "Special level of hell" line.

Violence

My favorite episode is probably Serenity (the Pilot).  It's just one of the best pilots to any series ever... it has great pacing and perfectly introduces you to all of the characters.  Plus the calm coolness that Mal has when he resolves the hostage situation at the end is just bad-ass and cemented him as my favorite Sci-Fi captain of all time.

However... my favorite scene of the series comes from War Stories and features Mal being just a little less badass...

No It Ain't...
"Inciting Violence" (O/O) | "Random Acts of Violence" (Requests/Ideas) | Language of Violence (A Story I'm Working On)

And it all breaks down at the role reversal . Got the muse in my head she's universal . Spinnin' me round she's coming over me.
Domestic Violence (My OC's) | The Art of Violence (Stuff I Draw'd) | The Absense of Violence (A/A)

Cravings::  ANYTHING with Ballerinas! | Playing a cheating wife/girlfriend scenario. | Something that lets me play Jaime Lannister.

Missy

Quote from: Violence on September 20, 2011, 11:51:06 PM
My favorite episode is probably Serenity (the Pilot).  It's just one of the best pilots to any series ever... it has great pacing and perfectly introduces you to all of the characters.  Plus the calm coolness that Mal has when he resolves the hostage situation at the end is just bad-ass and cemented him as my favorite Sci-Fi captain of all time.

However... my favorite scene of the series comes from War Stories and features Mal being just a little less badass...

No It Ain't...

I loved that part. It was so funny!

Great overall episode too.

JimPooley

I loved Shindig, with the bar fight at the begining, and of course the duel.

Firefly - Steampunk Duel

"Mercy is the mark of a great man." Stabs him. "Guess I'm just a good man." Stabs him again. "Well I'm alright."
O/Os

Hi [you]

Shjade

Yeah, I dunno that I have any favorite episode. There are episodes I don't like so much, but one doesn't really stand out as above the others. I have favorite moments, though.

The "big damn heroes" rescue would be one of those, for instance. River having issues eating her Ice Planet. "No power in the 'verse can stop me" is always fun. My favorite scene overall is probably from Objects in Space, though, when Simon and the bounty hunter get to the cockpit and River says she's become the ship - that whole conversation between the three of them is great.

Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

meowpiepanda

Hey, I've been re-watching this lately... <3

I have to say that I love so many of these episodes, it's hard for me to pinpoint what my favorite aspect is.  This is definitely the only TV show that I know of that I can simply watch and watch. 
Ons and Offs     A/A

Aadreal

It's already been nine years since the greatest television show of all time?!

Out of Gas is by far my favorite episode.  But it is so hard to choose, there are so many great ones.  Except Bushwhacked.  That one freaks me out, I just can't watch it. 

I love Jaynestown too, the expressions on their faces as they approach the statue of Jayne!  Priceless!

Miss Lilly

My favourite Firefly episode is whichever one I happen to be watching at the time, lol.  I'll be watching one, and be thinking "this is my favourite", and then I'll watch a different one and think "this is my favourite"....*laughs*

I do have a soft spot for Jaynetown, though...
Want to get wild in the west?
Visit Lola's!

MasterMischief

Quote from: Craz on September 20, 2011, 11:22:31 PM
My favorite will always be "Our Mrs. Reynolds," for the "Special level of hell" line.

+1

Although, I think River trying to 'fix' the Bible comes in second.

Miss Lilly

Want to get wild in the west?
Visit Lola's!

meowpiepanda

Quote from: MasterMischief on September 21, 2011, 03:04:49 PM
+1

Although, I think River trying to 'fix' the Bible comes in second.

lol I think the best part of that was how much her arguments made sense, throwing Shepard off a bit. 

Also, the part where river says that cows weren't cows in space, and Mal is like "Is it bad that that made perfect sense to me?"  lol an ad-lib but yeah... It's not my favorite line but it's a fun one.
Ons and Offs     A/A

Shjade

◕/◕'s

meowpiepanda

lol was it accurate?

Actually one of my favorites is probably "I don't believe there's a power in the 'verse keep Kaylee from bein' cheerful"  And then he says something about duct-taping her mouth... XD  I relate to Kaylee's personality so much, I love her.
Ons and Offs     A/A

Silverfyre

My favorite episode is actually "Heart of Gold".  This actually had such a sharp seriousness to it that I loved it.  The characters became all the more dynamic and the breakdown between Mal and Inara just made it all the sweeter.

Martee

I couldn't possibly choose a favorite episode, or even scene. Out of Gas was very very good - and yes, I was scared for Mal too.

The crying shame of it all was that I never saw the series when it aired originally (and given what happened that might also be a blessing). I saw the movie Serenity first, and remember walking out of the theatre thinking it was the most entertaining sci-flick I'd seen in ages. Having the series to watch after that was just icing on the cake.

Happy Birthday Firefly!

Status as of March 5th: In like a lion - only one response outstanding

Stone

I'm going to get some flak for this, but I never thought Firefly was very special. It was a good show, and it was cut short well before it had to go, but the amount of love people have for it always makes me think I'm missing out on it somehow. I liked the movie, Serenity, a lot. Possibly more than any single episode.

The title song is lovely, though. It is one of those earworm songs that refuses to leave your humming lips once you get going.
The sphere was solid with Plunkett, and only waited for someone to be in; like, like the meaning of a word waiting for a word to be the meaning of. - John Crowley, Engine Summer.

To manipulate a man is a careful project. Too light a hand, and he follows his own whim; too heavy a hand, and he will turn on you. - Thief II: The Metal Age.

Martee

It's all a matter of personal preference... No reason for anyone to give you flak for not agreeing with someone else's opinion. I know tons of people who think Farscape was the greatest thing ever, and Star Wars- (the original, uncorrupted trilogy, natch), is practically a religion in some circles. For me? I'm decidedly 'meh' on both accounts.

Different strokes for different folks.

Status as of March 5th: In like a lion - only one response outstanding

Shjade

Quote from: Martee on September 25, 2011, 10:31:49 AMDifferent strokes for different folks.

This. I really enjoyed Firefly - the series far more so than the movie, honestly, as it's less GRR GRITTY ANGST than the movie by a couple of notches on average - but I'm not an infatuated fan or anything like that. The closest I've come to fanboy territory on the subject was considering buying a browncoat when I saw a Firefly booth at Comicon, but the coats just weren't worth their cost for me despite being zomg Firefly stuffs.

It was a great show, but it wasn't a perfect godsend or anything. Just clever, fun, and generally high-quality as TV series go.
◕/◕'s

JimPooley

The fact it was cut halfway through, with no real season finale and lots of questions left unanswered probably adds to the shows cult status. I remember thinking heroes was just as good watching the first season, but then it ran on for 4 seasons and everyone got sick of it.
O/Os

Hi [you]

Xanatos

The thing about Firefly, I feel though, was it was Whedon at his best. He had an amazing cast that in every episode didn't fail (in my eyes) to capture their characters and bring the show/verse to life. Whedon's humor was superb. I look at it like this - he had Buffy and Angel to practice his craft and Firefly was his best because he knew how to run a show and work his humor and excellent sense of a story/world into the script. I don't idolize the guy, but I do see a good writer and show creator. He is underestimated because of his style/humor, which is unfortunate.

The thing about Heroes, as an aside comment, is the writing got worse and worse in each season. I loved the first season. Second could have been better if not for writers strike, and the third just lost it entirely. I couldn't even finish it. The fans died away because of the strange story-lines not the show itself. Whedon could have pulled off several good seasons before the show might have gotten bad. It was much simpler than Angel and Buffy, having a lot less room to get into the strange stuff he did (a lot of which he realizes now were terrible).

I personally think the biggest reason Firefly was so successful (with the fans anyway) was because of the characters. They were believable and drew you in. I liked every character (which is rare for me). They all were great in some way. Mal was about as kick-ass as it got then had his imperfect moments which were usually hilarious. Jane played his slightly dumb hack'n'slash type great, adding a few elements not seen much. And so forth.

Callie Del Noire

He (Whedon) still owes Fox another series by his contract if I recall rightly.

I find it interesting how Firefly and Futurama were both given to proven successes and then the execs did everything they could to 'manage' them despite promises to the contrary. The pilot was 'too boring' to be shown first was a silly move.

I find it interesting how many uncredited movies and shows that he's worked on. And how his family has had so much history in writing. His grandfather worked on the Ozzie and Harriett show.

I'm curious to see what comes of Avengers.

Alysanthia

It is really hard to pick a favorite episode much less scene from the series...

But I do love it when Kaylee goes to the ball in that poofy pink dress of cuteness, and wins all the rich guys over with her engineering knowledge.

Also 'Cap'n Tightpants' makes me laugh all the time whenever I hear it.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Alysanthia on September 25, 2011, 02:36:59 PM
It is really hard to pick a favorite episode much less scene from the series...

But I do love it when Kaylee goes to the ball in that poofy pink dress of cuteness, and wins all the rich guys over with her engineering knowledge.

Also 'Cap'n Tightpants' makes me laugh all the time whenever I hear it.

True.. it's hard.. I would say that it's a toss up between Shepard Book's warning to Mal about his 'wife' or River's 'I can kill you with my brain' comment to a paralysed Jayne. :D

Violence

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on September 25, 2011, 02:41:18 PM
True.. it's hard.. I would say that it's a toss up between Shepard Book's warning to Mal about his 'wife' or River's 'I can kill you with my brain' comment to a paralysed Jayne. :D

The very fact that River says things at all means I could never pick a favorite line.  Everything she said was either super-insightful and poetic, or nonsensical and kinda creepy... and both are forms of dialogue I enjoy.
"Inciting Violence" (O/O) | "Random Acts of Violence" (Requests/Ideas) | Language of Violence (A Story I'm Working On)

And it all breaks down at the role reversal . Got the muse in my head she's universal . Spinnin' me round she's coming over me.
Domestic Violence (My OC's) | The Art of Violence (Stuff I Draw'd) | The Absense of Violence (A/A)

Cravings::  ANYTHING with Ballerinas! | Playing a cheating wife/girlfriend scenario. | Something that lets me play Jaime Lannister.