What will you never play again?

Started by Inkidu, August 25, 2009, 06:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

I want to know what video games you regret buying, owning, renting, and/or playing. You literally wish you could scrub your brain clean of the instance.

Myself:

Final Fantasy XII, I hate that I even anticipated that game.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Ryven

Bayushi

Final Fantasy XI. The disc(unreturnable once used) was in the trash bin 30 minutes after I started playing. And uninstalled from the PC in short order.

Warhammer Online. It had great potential, but the hardware(server) implementation was poor, the player communities were worse than WoW's, and after leaving the starter zones, there was no sense of purpose or direction.

Elder Scrolls: Oblivion: I have it, it is installed on my hard drive. I'm likely to be uninstalling it soon, as frankly, there is no linearity in the plot line, and I've run around for it seems to be 50-60 hours killing anything that attacks, and STILL have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing to progress in the story.

Ket

FF X.

I'm on a mission to remove every last copy of it from the world, destroy all versions of the soundtrack (especially the damn blitzball score... OMGRIPHAIROUTNAO!)

Yeah, I loathe that game. 
she wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

you can find me on discord Ket#8117
Ons & Offs~Menagerie~Pulse~Den of Iniquity
wee little Ketlings don't yet have the ability to spit forth flame with the ferocity needed to vanquish a horde of vehicular bound tiny arachnids.

SleepyWei

Need for Speed Underground

I've come to think that any and all Need for Speed games have become an utter waste of my time. There's better things than playing as a driver in some street race.

OldSchoolGamer

One game I found to be rather disappointing is Europa Universalis: Rome. 

The game was realistic, and I could tell some thought had gone into it.  Not one of those dumb games that you wonder what the hell they were thinking.  But a fundamental rule of computer gaming is to make sure that the player always has something to do...or at least see happening that's semi-interactive.  And that's the cardinal rule that EU:R broke, much to my dismay...

So I started a game.  Played as the Macedonians.  And there was nothing to do.

Almost nothing.  I could recruit a few troops, but that was it.  Nothing to build.  No settings to change.  Want to change allocation of research points?  No can do.  Adjust spending on various things?  Nope.  Just...watching the clock on the screen advance.  Hell, even if all you have is the Wheel in Civ 4, there's more to do.

It was slightly more interesting than watching grass grow.

So I decide to invade a neighboring territory held by barbarians.  I move in about a thousand troops.  Then try to negotiate with the barbarians.  No reaction.  Sit there for six months.  Nothing.  Try to annex the territory.  No can do.  Barbarians too strong.  What barbarians...the ones who had sat on their asses for half a year while legions of my troops milled around in their territory?

And it's a pity, because I could tell a lot of effort had been put into making the game.  But not enough into making it...well, something that someone would actually WANT to play.

Callie Del Noire

-Shadowrun (for the 360/PC- Why did they take such a LOVELY setting and make it a cheap multiplayer only game?)
-Everquest 2
-Street Fighter IV
-The Incredible Hulk Movie game

Lirliel

Juiced 2 - Simply because even with a high-end system the game will simply not run.
Sanitarium - Because.. I like my games in the horror genre, but that shit.. that was just a whole nother level of weirdness.
Spellforce 2 - It took way to long to even get a sizable army up and running and then, your computer switches off or something, or you have to go somewhere real quick and guess what, No save function. Start over from scratch again.
Warhammer 40k - Firewarrior - Just.. the name should be enough ok, had enough counseling for that game.
Hexplore - Started out amusing, until you got to the point where you had to compete with like 600 monsters vs your 4 guys, which ironically where usually weaker then the 600 monsters.
"Jealousy would be far less torturous if we understood that love is a passion entirely unrelated to our merits."

"A minute of perfection was worth the effort. A moment was the most you could ever expect from perfection."

Andy

Quote from: Oniya on November 15, 2012, 09:32:19 PM
Remember:  Diplomacy is the art of telling someone to go to Hell in such a way that they thank you for the vacation tip.

Andys Creations: http://www.f-list.net/c/nullah%20mighthoof/

Doomsday

Prototype, a decent game but not worth the 60 dollars.

@Ket: I will fight you. That is my favorite game, and the soundtrack is even BETTER! :P

Bayushi

Quote from: Doomsday Jesus on August 26, 2009, 03:00:30 AM@Ket: I will fight you. That is my favorite game, and the soundtrack is even BETTER! :P

Yes, Ket will be hard pressed to get by me and damage or destroy my copy of FFX and the OST.

I'd be fine if it were FFX-2, which was a HORRIBLE game.

Transgirlenstein

I don't know guys..Ket is a hard force to stop...like a hurricane.

Star Trek Battles for X-Box 360.  Fist of all the box clearly says you can play with more then one player but when you actually play the game, there is no way to play anything but two player and no explanation why you can't play multiplayer.  The controls are really wonky and you are horribly outnumbered and die way to easy.

Monster Mash: Battle for Suburbia for X-Box 360.  The game sounded really awesome, playing high school kids fighting hordes of movie monsters.  Like Gauntlet.  The problem is the controls make no sense at all.  You have to somehow move two joysticks, one which just points the direction of your gun plus push other buttons.
Busy with freelance writing work.  Replies slow.  Feel free to prod me. 

Formally Tripping Satyr, Tripping Snake and QueenTrippingserpent.  Often known as Trip.

Ons/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=19217.0

Seeking Games!: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=71239.0

Sabby

Onechanbara: Samurai Bakini Squad. School girls fighting zombies with katana swords and upskirt kicks may SOUND awesome... but its really not.

Judge Dredd: Dredd Verses Death. Ugh... bad shooter. Bad. Shooter.

Any of the Cabela's hunting games. They were realistic to the point of being fiddly and brain meltingly boring, just like real hunting! All the unneeded equipment and waiting around and such. I love spending my game time sitting in a fake tree trying to sound like a horny she moose, when I could just snipe the damned thing.

And then they went all arcadey, with bullet time and stuff.

Illustria

Mirror's Edge for xbox360 gave me the most awful case of motion sickness after playing for a few minutes. A game based on fast movement, and acrobatic moves shouldn't be a 3rd person shooter. Had they done it like Prince of Persia or Sonic the Hedgehog it would have been an awesome game, but I can't even finish the tutorial cuz the camera is all over the place..

Scott

Monopoly... it's just plain old boring.

Paradox

I didn't care for FFX either; oddly enough, my girlfriend just gave me a copy of it  :P . I very much doubt that it will be seeing any play time. Tidus makes me sick.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Ket

she wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

you can find me on discord Ket#8117
Ons & Offs~Menagerie~Pulse~Den of Iniquity
wee little Ketlings don't yet have the ability to spit forth flame with the ferocity needed to vanquish a horde of vehicular bound tiny arachnids.

Oniya

Quote from: Paradox on August 26, 2009, 11:54:19 AM
I didn't care for FFX either; oddly enough, my girlfriend just gave me a copy of it  :P . I very much doubt that it will be seeing any play time. Tidus makes me sick.

If you want a laugh, check out the playthrough at www.videogamerecaps.com.  I personally plan on re-reading it when I finally get around to plowing through 10.  Because Tidus is a wanker.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Paradox

Quote from: Oniya on August 26, 2009, 12:03:45 PM
If you want a laugh, check out the playthrough at www.videogamerecaps.com.  I personally plan on re-reading it when I finally get around to plowing through 10.  Because Tidus is a wanker.

Oo...I think I'll read the FF VII recap first, since that's the only one I've ever played to completion. Thanks for passing it along!

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Lunaris

Fable II: It was a great game, at first. Fun in a misleading way. But then we run into that filthy Thief and there's where things get bad.

1) Being a goody-two shoes, that meant my character wound up an old crone. My beautiful character who I invested so much time into in a display of shameful vanity. She was a near vegetarian. I spent heavens knows how much money on various hairstyles and tattoos as well as shiny weapons. She looked amazing, dammit! And all of a sudden because she's a goody-two shoes, she's this old, wrinkly thing with weird eyes. The hell, man?

I could have been even more vain, but I couldn't in good conscience let an innocent maiden die to preserve my character's beauty. I am a roleplayer, after all.

2) He shot the dog. That poor photographer guy. Sure, he was a goofball, but I liked him and he didn't deserve to die like that. That pissed me off even more.

3) And now...because of plot reasons, I'm forced to travel with this complete bastard and am not allowed to splatter his brains onto the cave walls or fry him with lightning. If they'd just let me get even, I would have been somewhat happy and kept playing on...but noooo... Kiss my ass, Fable II. Zelda's still better than you.

==========

Honestly, I never even played FFX. Maybe it's because the Emo-ness of Squall from FF8 left such a bad taste in my mouth. I'm also tired of dealing with punk ass, teenage protagonists. Tidus fits the bill from what I've seen. Major turn off.

Transgirlenstein

I had the same problems with Fable 2 as well.  You can fix the old woman thing though.  I forget how but if you own certain houses, you can sleep there and it will fix it.  I agree too that it is annoying you can't attack him.  He wasn't even likeable in a rogueish sort of way.  He was just an asshole.

That and the ending pissed me off a bit as well (sorry for anyone who hasn't played it).  You spend all this time hunting down Lucian, leveling up.  The final battle on the beach...freaking awesome.  The final battle agains Lucian?  Weak.  Walk right up and hit him.  Game over.  That's it. 
Busy with freelance writing work.  Replies slow.  Feel free to prod me. 

Formally Tripping Satyr, Tripping Snake and QueenTrippingserpent.  Often known as Trip.

Ons/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=19217.0

Seeking Games!: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=71239.0

Illustria

Tidus is too much like the preppy jocks you have to put up with in high school. I also hated how in the sequel they made Yuna over into a slutty Tomb Raider copy just to "hide her identity" like showing more skin made her less conspicuous. What a horrible plot. The Final Fantasy games lost their appeal to me years ago.

SleepyWei

Final Fantasy never had any appeal to me period until I played both VII and VIII. Then when IX came out, I lost interest once more and it's been that way all the way up to now. However, Final Fantasy XII Versus seems to have some appeal. I might look in to that one.

Inkidu

Quote from: SleepyWei on August 26, 2009, 04:13:27 PM
Final Fantasy never had any appeal to me period until I played both VII and VIII. Then when IX came out, I lost interest once more and it's been that way all the way up to now. However, Final Fantasy XII Versus seems to have some appeal. I might look in to that one.
Missed an I there, twelve doesn't have a versus. It has pure suck Is fundamentally broken on so many aspects of it's game play, and while it might look nice, really lacks any character development which causes a severe lack of apathy towards the rest of the story.

I liked nine because it's solid and has the shear force of nostalgia behind it for me personally.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Bayushi

Quote from: Inkidu on August 26, 2009, 04:33:18 PMMissed an I there, twelve doesn't have a versus. It has pure suck.

You know what they say about opinions and assholes, right?

Just remember that this is YOUR opinion. I only got to play about twelve-fourteen hours of Final Fantasy Twelve, and I enjoyed what I got. I think it's just fine that you don't like it, but don't tell people that it sucks, even if they enjoy it.

Seriously, this isn't the WoW forums, n00b. L2P and all that. :P