News:

Main Menu

Things I just learned

Started by Lancis, June 24, 2005, 12:40:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lancis

Today at walmart i splurged on myself and bought three new collectors edition DVDS

The Dark Crystal
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
and Labryinth

Much to my surprise i found out that the top and bottom one were both written by Jim Henson... I knew about the Dark Crystal and have always refered to it as the darkside of the muppets...

But Labryinth wow... Jim truly was a genius.. even the Muppets themselves should be proud.

Lancis
I do what my rice krispies tell me to!

Art is  not my work, its source online is now down, but it was a Romusz

Spookie Monster

Good for you, man! :) Those are some awesome DVDs. I hope you enjoy them. You're right about Henson being a major brain behind both Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal (Frank Oz was there, too). Also worth noting is that Monty Python member Terry Jones wrote the first draft of the Labyrinth screenplay! :o :D

All three of those movies have a lot of interesting trivia, actually. Just for example:

- Did you know that Sir-Not-Appearing-In-This-Film was "played" by Michael Palin's son in Monty Python and the Holy Grail? Or that God was played by a cutout of W.G. Grace, who was arguably the world's first true sports star?

- Did you know that Danny John-Jules, who played the Cat in Red Dwarf, did the voice for one of the Fireys in Labyrinth? Or that another of the Fireys was voiced by Charles Augins, who guest-starred as Queeg in Red Dwarf?

- Did you know that Gates McFadden, who played Dr. Beverly Crusher in Star Trek: The Next Generation (and spinoffs), actually choreographed the ballroom dance scene in Labyrinth? Gates McFadden used to be a choreographer and a puppeteer with Jim Henson (the reason she also shows up in The Muppets Take Manhattan).

- Did you know that if you speak a Slavic language, you can actually understand some of the language of the Podlings in The Dark Crystal?

And that's just for starters! The movies aren't just entertaining - the stories behind them are, too! Holy cookies! :o I'm getting excited just thinking about it...

Seriously, though, those are some excellent movies. You'll get your money's worth out of them, that's for sure! :)

And please don't forget that Jennifer Connelly was a minor when shooting Labyrinth. :P
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs
~ R.I.P., Cam ~ ~ R.I.P., Judi ~ ~ R.I.P., Steph ~

Lancis

She is anything but a minor now ;)

The DVD Case for Labryinth says "Jim Henson's Labryinth."

I know Frank Oz is one of the biggest voice factories for the muppets though and was Jim's right hand man :)

Do you remember the PBS show with Jim Henson and the big white animatronic lion?

And did you know that in the early Versions of star wars the VOice of Yoda was Frank Oz?

As well as Grover and even yes The Cookie Monster himself has been voiced by Frank Oz....
:)

Spookie Monster

Quote from: lancis on June 24, 2005, 06:29:04 AMAnd did you know that in the early Versions of star wars the VOice of Yoda was Frank Oz?

Don't tell me George Lucas has already made special editions of the new ones! :P

Quote from: lancis on June 24, 2005, 06:29:04 AMDo you remember the PBS show with Jim Henson and the big white animatronic lion?

Was that in The Storyteller? Help an old monster out here...

Quote from: lancis on June 24, 2005, 06:29:04 AMeven yes The Cookie Monster himself has been voiced by Frank Oz....:)

What are you implying? Are you implying that I, Cookie Monster, don't speak using my own voice? I... I'm speechless! (And no, not because Frank Oz isn't here to do my voice, smart-alecks.) I... I just...

Fine! Fine! Two can play at that game!

Ladies and gentlemonsters, please know that Lancis, our dear friend at Elliquiy, is voiced by none other than WILLIAM DANIELS, who provided the voice of KITT on Knight Rider!

There! Ha! Take that, Lancis!

:P

Edited for grammar.
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs
~ R.I.P., Cam ~ ~ R.I.P., Judi ~ ~ R.I.P., Steph ~

Lancis

"I'm sorry micheal.. i mean Spel."

LOL

hehe

Yeah yeah poor Spel...

Besides i was refering to your animatronic double Spel :)

Justy_W

Ok, first let me say that fizgig, teeth and all, is THE most adorable muppet ever!

Second, you remind me of the babe, What babe? The babe with the power. What power? The power of voodoo. Who do? You do. Do what? Remind me of the babe. (This originally came froma Cary Grant movie with Shirley Temple, The Bachelor and the Bobbisoxer <spelling may be wrong>)

And lastly, We want SHRUBBERY!!!!

MadPanda

And a second shrubbery, only slightly higher so that we get a split-level effect with a little path running down the middle...

All hail Oz comma Frank and his zillion contributions to the cultural!

And for today's bizarro trivia question, what two real live men are featured in a certain consipiracy in the roleplaying game of psychosurreal horror, Over the Edge?  Here's a hint--one of them is associated with Monty Python, and the other wrote a ton of stuff for Steve Jackson Games' TOON!
Voluptas ailuri fulgentis decretum est!
Omnis nimis, temperantia ob coenobitae.
(Jes, tiuj frazoj estas malĝustaj. Pandoj fakte ne komprenas la latinan!)

One on Ones Suggestion Box
Group Game Suggestion Box
Pandariffic Ons and Otherwise
In Memory of Bishrook