The Lover's Eclipse (Greco-Roman Historical Fantasy)

Started by SweetPrince, January 10, 2017, 02:21:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SweetPrince

I'm thinking about starting up a roleplay centering around Greco-Roman themes and borrowing the gods and deities of the two cultures to make up the story. The story will start out more historical in nature and quickly begin delving into a supernatural world of fantasy in which the characters go on quests for the gods and seek mythical creatures in order to fill their innermost desire. I plan to allow several people and if the group gets too large maybe appointing a co-gm. I'd best like 7-8 characters as that's my comfort zone.

Characters will be able to choose or be chosen by a patron deity of varying power and status. The strongest people will be champions of a god from the pantheon, and the more average persons will be followers of lesser gods. Those who champion a god of the pantheon will also be stricken with a curse according to the God they champion, i.e. a champion of Zeus may deal with the wrath of Hera, a champion of Artemis cannot marry and will be expected to work at night, and so on. If certain requirements are met some champions can become demi-gods, but you do not have to be a demi-god to have access to certain abilities. Oracles, Witches, and Warriors blessed like Achilles will be available.

The story will center around an oncoming eclipse and the variety of intentions, both good and bad, that people have for it. Some may go on quests to stop an evil force from taking the power of the eclipse for bad reasons, while others may seek to complete a trial before the eclipse to prove themselves to a God.

If this roleplay gets off of its feet the following deities will be reserved for both myself, mechanics, and plot points. Nobody may champion these deities:
-Apollo
-Hades
-Zephyr

As an added, if you wish to champion Hera you must first get special permission due to the Goddesses' relationship with champions of Zeus.

To finish off the idea, the blatantly sexual nature of some of the deities in greco-roman mythos may lead to plot points. A character may garner the attention of a deity and be seduced by them. Because of the nature of some Gods, not all attention will be from a deity of the opposite sex. I.E. A female is more likely to be seduced by Zeus but a male is more likely to be seduced by Apollo.

I'll be willing to run this as a small, small group or a one on one if not enough attention is garnered, but I plan on waiting a week before putting too much work into this to see how many people would like to do this.
“Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest. ”- William Shakespeare, Hamlet

O/O Thread

Kokaine

This sounds interesting. I'd be interested in a champion of Artemis or Eris if she's allowed. I assume that all the actual gods will be controlled by you as the GM, correct?
Current Craving/Looking For: Romance, Adventure, Action, Humor, and Erotica. (F/Any)

Current Post Rate: Moderate

Current Posts Owed: 1/8

My O/Os

SweetPrince

Quote from: Kokaine on January 10, 2017, 02:35:24 PM
This sounds interesting. I'd be interested in a champion of Artemis or Eris if she's allowed. I assume that all the actual gods will be controlled by you as the GM, correct?

I plan on controlling them most of the time but under special circumstances I may choose someone else to control them for a short period of time or promote someone to Co-GM and assign them a measure of the deities.

O/O Thread

Vlexia

I'd be interested in either an Oracle of Aphrodite or a Champlain of Artemis...or Persephone.

Shit I don't know lol I love Greek and Roman Mythology

If you cannot honor a No, then you certainly could never honor a Yes.

Devil's Advocate

Greek mythology?! OMG! I have to do this. But which God or Goddess.... So many fun ones.... Bacchus/Dionysus could be fun. Aphrodite/Venus, too.... You know what, I'll champion Aphrodite, if Vlexia doesn't take her and if she does, I'll do Dionysus.
O/o's

A/a's

The trouble with resisting temptation is that is may never come again!

Vlexia

Quote from: Devil's Advocate on January 10, 2017, 08:13:37 PM
Greek mythology?! OMG! I have to do this. But which God or Goddess.... So many fun ones.... Bacchus/Dionysus could be fun. Aphrodite/Venus, too.... You know what, I'll champion Aphrodite, if Vlexia doesn't take her and if she does, I'll do Dionysus.

You can be the champion while I'm the Oracle :)

Devil's Advocate

Quote from: Vlexia on January 10, 2017, 08:16:26 PM
You can be the champion while I'm the Oracle :)

That would work just as well for me. :)
O/o's

A/a's

SweetPrince

Oh dear mercy I'm enjoying the steady growth in interest :3
Hopefully we can maintain a fairly balanced playerbase.

O/O Thread

fireflights

I would like to toss my hat in for Hades's champion or Persephone. Probably Hades more than Persephone... I'll decide more fully when I wake. Need sleep and have doc appt tomorrow ugh

I have taken the oath of the Drake

Livin in MD now.

Not taking anymore one on ones but ones already discussed with the partners.

Vlexia

Quote from: fireflights on January 10, 2017, 09:05:08 PM
I would like to toss my hat in for Hades's champion or Persephone. Probably Hades more than Persephone... I'll decide more fully when I wake. Need sleep and have doc appt tomorrow ugh

Oooohhhh Now it's a party!!! ;D

Lol

Devil's Advocate

I always liked how the Greeks wrote Hades. He wasn't good or evil unlike in Disney's movie. I hate when Hades gets written as some bad guy or the equivalent of the Christian devil.
O/o's

A/a's

SweetPrince

Hades is unavailable to champion, says so up top hun ^^;

O/O Thread

AribethAmkiir

I'm interested,  this sounds awesome.   How do you feel about a representative of a Muse, or Fate?

SweetPrince

Quote from: AribethAmkiir on January 10, 2017, 10:12:25 PM
I'm interested,  this sounds awesome.   How do you feel about a representative of a Muse, or Fate?

Muses aren't really deities or powerful enough to be considered one, though they may have followers that call on them for help. I'd say you can be a follower of a muse and a deity but the muse wouldn't hold much sway.

The Fates are far too powerful and sacred to have a representative, else the representative hold to much sway in the world of men. They may have followers, but do not expect anything to come of it, as you don't always want to hear a Fate's reply when petitioning one.

O/O Thread

fireflights

Quote from: SweetPrince on January 10, 2017, 09:20:25 PM
Hades is unavailable to champion, says so up top hun ^^;

Well then Persephone it is then huh? lol

Livin in MD now.

fireflights

Livin in MD now.

Vlexia

Quote from: fireflights on January 11, 2017, 10:31:20 AM
Well then Persephone it is then huh? lol

I tossed around her as she is the Goddess of the Underworld. An excellent choice.

fireflights

Yeah, I love Persephone and her dynamic with Hades :D I don't know why but out of all the gods and goddesses, those two are my faves.

Livin in MD now.

Vlexia

Quote from: fireflights on January 11, 2017, 10:35:29 AM
Yeah, I love Persephone and her dynamic with Hades :D I don't know why but out of all the gods and goddesses, those two are my faves.

Oh it's hot as hell.

Devil's Advocate

Quote from: Vlexia on January 11, 2017, 10:45:24 AM
Oh it's hot as hell.

Not that it is accurate but it would be funny if you intended that as a pun!
O/o's

A/a's

fireflights

Livin in MD now.

Vlexia

Quote from: Devil's Advocate on January 11, 2017, 10:47:55 AM

Haha a little bit.

fireflights

Quote from: Devil's Advocate on January 11, 2017, 10:47:55 AM

I'm pretty sure she did mean it as a pun lol

Livin in MD now.

SweetPrince

Oooooh we got a healthy amount of interest.  I'll probably work on the framework tonight.

O/O Thread

Devil's Advocate

Quote from: SweetPrince on January 11, 2017, 12:16:43 PM
Oooooh we got a healthy amount of interest.  I'll probably work on the framework tonight.

Woot!
O/o's

A/a's