News:

Main Menu

Free to play PC Games

Started by Frelance, October 15, 2011, 11:39:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reena

One of my favorite games right now is League of Legends (leagueoflegends.com, sorry that I can't link it directly). It's a game in the same style as DotA (for those of you who've played it) and is not some kind of cheap trial version game. It's pretty fun if you like strategy games, although it also has a bit of an RPG feel to it.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Reena on November 09, 2011, 12:42:28 AM
One of my favorite games right now is League of Legends (leagueoflegends.com, sorry that I can't link it directly). It's a game in the same style as DotA (for those of you who've played it) and is not some kind of cheap trial version game. It's pretty fun if you like strategy games, although it also has a bit of an RPG feel to it.

If you look in the off topic forum there is an entire thread for that game.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Andronica

I feel you, Elenwe. The Asura are the creepiest little buggers I've seen in a game yet. When I played WoW I was put off by the gnomes and later, goblins, but these asura just take the cake. Those big eyes and little teeth... Stuff of nightmares. :P

On a similar note, I saw some footage of GW2 at G-Star, so I'm gonna go check that out now.

Sel Nar

The best part is that they deliberately play up the 'creepy' aspect simply by not smiling unless they're making a 'threat' display. If you check out Vekk's animations in Guild Wars, he only bares his teeth in battle.

Jacqueline

Quote from: LadyNox on November 09, 2011, 02:38:29 PM
I feel you, Elenwe. The Asura are the creepiest little buggers I've seen in a game yet. When I played WoW I was put off by the gnomes and later, goblins, but these asura just take the cake. Those big eyes and little teeth... Stuff of nightmares. :P

On a similar note, I saw some footage of GW2 at G-Star, so I'm gonna go check that out now.
Yes! And from the marketing and sales point of view it's weird and risky that they chose to design such a creepy race as playable. As a product, GW2 is less attractive with Asuras than without them.

Jacqueline

And on a totally unrelated note, Everquest 2 is going f2p, for real this time. This means that every server will be f2p, and not just one, sometime in December of this year. I found a link but be warned, it's a long read!

http://eq2wire.com/2011/11/10/everquest-ii-updated-free-to-play-frequently-asked-questions/

I find it funny that Everquest 1 still requires a subscription.

Type70item

A website I use often is Abandonware Paradise (Google it, it wouldn't let me post the link) It's in french but its pretty easy to sift through. it contains games that the copyright has run out on, thus it is legal to download their full version

Semantics

Out of the Park Baseball 8 went free a while back, and the OotP games are some of the best sports simulation games out there.  OotP8 has most of the features in the recent games, and the games are made so that you can import saves from earlier versions, although not always without issues.

And in a completely different vein, iSketch, an online pictionary game, can be great fun.  Even if every once and a while it spits out an absolutely impossible word.

Aleph

Another hand up here for the roguelikes :)

Oh and along the thread of ArmorGames, I very much recommend http://kongregate.com/ which seems to be a clearing house for Armor, Miniclip, NewGrounds, etc...

Sabre

No mention of Cave Story so far?  Unfortunate, it's one of the most charming platformers I've played and everyone deserves a chance to lose a few hours in it.  Download the game and then patch it to English and you're off.

Cave Story Trailer

It's great fun with some great tunes and level design.  You can buy it for the Wii and on Steam, but really the original game was released and is still available from the above website for free.

Caeli

I've gotten hooked onto Pandemic 2 lately, on Kongregate.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Caeli on December 17, 2011, 11:17:02 PM
I've gotten hooked onto Pandemic 2 lately, on Kongregate.

The only thing I learned from Pandemic 2 was that if I live in Madagascar, I am forever safe from the threat of a humanity-extinction plague.

Shjade

Except the rare plague that begins in Madagascar, which is guaranteed to kill you since you won't be allowed to leave. D:
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Oniya

I just discovered 'Castaway' on Armor Games.  Rather addictive.  The sequel and a TD version are already out, but I'm semi-compulsive about playing series-es.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

shojin

Darn.. I was going to post a big list of games that could be downloaded, but then it told me I can't post external links yet. Whoops! Best to Google the games I'm about to mention then...

RGB Classic Games - Old DOS games that are now abandonware.
The Game Company - flOw and Cloud are both free and relaxing games.
Metanet Software - N is one of the more frustrating and addicting games I've played.
Nifflas' Games - He's made tons of stuff.
Infocom - They've released the Zork games for free.
Nexon - They've got a bunch of free to play MMOs and other games.
Bethesda - The first two Elder Scrolls games are free.
Savage 2 - A FPS/RTS combination that's very interesting.
FEAR Combat - The original FEAR's multiplayer mode is free.
Rockstar Classics - The original two GTAs and Wild Metal country.
Duty Calls - A free FPS parody of Call of Duty.

If I recall correctly, the first few Command and Conquer games were released for free a while back, so some game file sites will probably still have full installers, but the official downloads have since disappeared.

Steam also has a ton of free games under the free games category.

Frelance

I have played a few Nexon games and tried N as well. I fell back to the games I got from friends and the free to play on steam. Now I am working my way through the Roguelike games that I have been able to find and I have been playing Dwarf fortress.
Evolution is an arms race

Brandon

Runes of magic was recomended to me a long time ago and I remember checking it out but not really being into it. It might be worth a look for someone else though

Bejeweled 2 is also free to play and worth a look
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Zealously Jaded

I'm going to recommend DC Universe Online...it's free to play, yes there is a very large download, but my god it's worth it. If you like games like WoW then DCUO is even better.

Oniya

Okay - Castaway 2 trumps the original, big-time.  If I could find an MMO like that, I'd probably actually play it.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Anjasa

http://theturtle.editions.free.fr/nanigaming/freeindiebundle/ has five free indie games! I haven't played any of them, but figured some might be interested.

Samael

Wow, the Nitronic Rush looks awesome.
I'm going to download that one and give it a whirl.

Stealth Bastard is pretty fun. It's a puzzle plattformer, and great.

I think the classic CnC games can be downloaded here
http://www.commandandconquer.com/classic/
On & Offs | My Games | Apologies & Absences | Tumblr
Et comme des fleurs de glace, on grandit dans la nuit
La lumière nous efface, dans la noirceur on vit
Comme des fleurs de glace, on rêve et on reste unis
Des fleurs au cœur de l'insomnie

"Eisblume - Fleurs De Glace"

Shjade

On the fence about trying Stealth Bastard. ... Wait, it's free, what am I on the fence about. *download*

Ooo, classic C&C? Hm. I do feel a certain urge to build sandbags into an enemy base... *trollface*

Edit: Hm...none of the C&C games on that site appear to be offered for free. Even the "classic" game is $20 for "C&C First Decade."
◕/◕'s

Frelance

I like the look of Tiberian alliance, now i just have to wait for the beta code.
Evolution is an arms race

shojin

Quote from: Samael on January 03, 2012, 07:38:14 PM
I think the classic CnC games can be downloaded here
http://www.commandandconquer.com/classic/

Quote from: Shjade on January 03, 2012, 08:57:48 PM
Edit: Hm...none of the C&C games on that site appear to be offered for free. Even the "classic" game is $20 for "C&C First Decade."

EA removed the official download links because they released that pack on origin. However, it is technically freeware now, and I'm sure that the install files are floating around somewhere. I've got them backed up on my hard drive here, but am reluctant to put it onto my server if that is indeed taboo.

Shjade

Nah, they are still around on sites like Joystiq, Shojin. They're findable if someone wants them, just not on the official site anymore from the looks of things.
◕/◕'s