News:

Main Menu

Free to play PC Games

Started by Frelance, October 15, 2011, 11:39:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frelance

Hey I am going to start listing free to play PC games and a link for them. I am just listing these to spread work about them and hope others enjoy them as well. If you know of some other good free to play games post a link here! I am always looking for new games to try.

List:
-FreeOrion which is a galactic civilization building game.

-0 A.D. the game is a historic RTS game. It is being developed by a team that worked on Age of Empire mods. 0 A.D. originally started as a mod for AoE but the team has ended up making it its own game entirely.

- Dwarf Fortress is a game where you control a few dwarfs that are starting a new fortress. It can take some getting used to and I suggest that anyone who wants to play this game downloads the LazyNoodPack since it will make the game easier to interpret. Also watch a tutorial for it.
Evolution is an arms race

Oniya

I'm a bit of an addict to http://www.armorgames.com and http://www.miniclip.com/games/en

Both sites have lots of variety, from action to puzzles.  Armor can get a little gritty, to the PG-13 level, while Miniclip is pretty much all ages.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

DarklingAlice

I once again will chime in to mention the vastly under appreciated genre known as the rogue-like. These games, which are often indie-developed and completely freely distributed, tend to represent a philosophy of game design almost completely lost in the modern milieu. So they may not be for everyone, but if you are the type of person who likes extreme difficulty, choice, and consequences in your games I can't recommend them enough.

Head over to the rogue basin and get yourself hooked up!
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong.

Oniya

I think I downloaded the original Rogue at one point.  Hail Rodney!
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Lunaris

City of Heroes has gone Free to Play! http://na.cityofheroes.com/en/index.php (Or uh...Premium, if you're a returning player.)

meikle

my roguelike of choice is Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup.

I have had good experiences with City of Heroes, but free to play is so scary to me. :(
Kiss your lover with that filthy mouth, you fuckin' monster.

O and O and Discord
A and A

Anyalyss

Aww I'm happy to see that FreeOrion is still alive, slowly but, still moving, I hope they get a few more volunteers to work on it! I loved Master of Orion 2, I always played with the Elerians :-)

Also I'm pretty impressed about 0AD and it looks like they're almost done (or at least it looks like! it looks really good and really professional).

Anyway, two more games :-)

Alien Swarm (Valve, Free to play on Steam)

League of Legends, or LoL if you prefer Okay you can pay for stuff in this one, but you don't have to :P
O&O's    A&A's

Brandon

Quote from: Lunaris on October 16, 2011, 03:25:42 PM
City of Heroes has gone Free to Play! http://na.cityofheroes.com/en/index.php (Or uh...Premium, if you're a returning player.)

Hmmm it might be fun to get back on CoH, I havnt played since Warhammer was released. Although Im pretty sure my old super hero group Stryke Force is gone *pouts*

Anyway, there are three games I can recomend having played them at one point in time (and sometimes still play)

The first is Echo Bazaar. EB is a game in which I find myself hard pressed to explain its premise or style of play. Really you just need to check it out and come to your own conclusions

The second is Dungeon fighter. Think streets of rage as an MMO. You are welcome!

The third is a game I learned of just recently called Stellar Impact. Think of it as a naval style DOTA game only set in a science fiction world where you fly space ships.

There are also two honorable mentions I need to toss out there. One of league of legends, which a lot of people on Elliquiy play and the other is for Super Crate box. Theres also a free to play MMOFPS/3PS game coming out in the near futur called firefall, I suggest you check it out.
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Oreo

One of my all time favorites is Everlong. You might need to apply the font patch or the letters can be blocky.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

HairyHeretic

There are quite a few MMOs have gone free to play, or are in the process of it
Age of Conan
Lord of the Rings Online
Dungeons and Dragons Online
City of Heros
World of Tanks
Star Trek Online
Champions Online
DC Universe Online
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Anyalyss

Everquest 2 has a free to play option too (called EQ2X), although in my opinion it sucks a lot *giggles*
O&O's    A&A's

Frelance

Dam, I didn't think I would get this much of a response. Thank you for everything and I am definitely going to look into a bunch of theses games.

I am currently spending a lot of time in 0 A.D. and FreeOrion at the moment so I will be focusing on those games if any in my posts on this thread.

Hemingway

I have a game to add to the pile, if you like turn-based strategy games:

Battle for Wesnoth. It's sort of reminiscent of a medieval fantasy version of Battle Isle, or Advance Wars, or what have you, but with roleplaying elements thrown in. Units level up and through the campaigns ( of which there are many, some of which are really long ), they can carry over from battle to battle. It's also a very accessible game. Battle for Wesnoth is just a great game, really. Better than a lot of commercial games.

ThePrince

World of Tanks!

Its a WWII Tank Sim/RPG, the controls are more arcade then realistic so its easy to pick up and play. Its a MMO pvp type kind of game, but its realy polished for a free to play game, personally I enjoy the sounds the most. It really feels like I am driving a rumbling Panzer across Europe! The pay model is set up so that you will get a good bit of fun without having to feel like you will need to pay for it.

I highly recommend it!
RP Request Thread
O/O's
I am what I am. I am my own special creation.
So come take a look, Give me the hook or the ovation.
It's my world that I want to have a little pride in.
It's my world and it's not a place I have to hide in.
Life ain't worth a dam till you can say I am what I am.

InariShiftskin

Age of Empires Online is free to play as well.

Skynet

Quote from: Oniya on October 16, 2011, 12:43:00 PM
Both sites have lots of variety, from action to puzzles.  Armor can get a little gritty, to the PG-13 level, while Miniclip is pretty much all ages.

I absolutely love armorgames!

I used to check out NewGrounds a lot in the past as well.

World of Warcraft is now free, but only up to Level 20.  You have to pay if you want to get higher.

fancyfictions

Through Steam... Team Fortress 2 and Sanctum are both free to play.

I, like a few others in this thread, recommend City of Heroes (even though I play on the Villain side more), Lord of the Rings Online and Dungeons and Dragons Online.

I played Star Trek Online but didn't like it very much.
Fancy's Fancies|

“Fiction is life with the dull bits left out”- Clive James

RubySlippers

Quote from: ThePrince on October 17, 2011, 07:59:54 PM
World of Tanks!

Its a WWII Tank Sim/RPG, the controls are more arcade then realistic so its easy to pick up and play. Its a MMO pvp type kind of game, but its realy polished for a free to play game, personally I enjoy the sounds the most. It really feels like I am driving a rumbling Panzer across Europe! The pay model is set up so that you will get a good bit of fun without having to feel like you will need to pay for it.

I highly recommend it!

And they put out a $30 value, $19.99 retail box set which is good for new players you get -> one weeks premium membership, 1800 gold, 1,050,000 credits (silver to Tankers) and a T2 Light Tank Premium with a Extra Garage Slot.

They are adding French Tanks by the end of the year, sooner I hope.

Jacqueline

I tried the tanks game for a bit but it didn't work well on my laptop, some maps run just fine on the lowest settings but the maps with lots of buildings are nearly unplayable.

Shjade

Recently been playing a bit of Iron Grip: Marauders, an online browser-run turn-based strategy game. Gets pretty slow-paced around level 6 if you're not spending money on the game (which I'm not), but if you're not concerned about GRR POWERLEVELING your way through the game it's pretty good for the occasional battle here and there.

Caution: the AI totally has maphax and will artillery-blast you in places where it shouldn't be able to see you. :|
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Jacqueline

I just remembered one, it's called Pirates of the Burning Sea. It doesn't have super graphics but it's not too bad and ship vs ship combat is pretty fun.

fireflights

I have taken the oath of the Drake

Livin in MD now.

Not taking anymore one on ones but ones already discussed with the partners.

Jacqueline

Lineage 2 is going to be f2p before the end of this year, I'm sooo going to check out my old little sorcerer when this happens, back then it was so very painful to level up but now it seems that it's much easier.

Not a Devil

Bloodline Champions has caught my interest lately. It's a nice pure pvp game (even though I hate the art, but that's my personal preference), good for when you want to jump into a quick game of bash someone's face in to relieve stress, although Team Fortress 2 is my #1 choice when I want to set things on fire. =P

Quote from: Skynet on October 29, 2011, 02:44:51 PM
World of Warcraft is now free, but only up to Level 20.  You have to pay if you want to get higher.
Don't even try, it's like crack. Your social life gets rolled up into a wad of cash and jumps straight into Blizzard's pocket... (or at least it used to, back when I played)

fancyfictions

As if i'm not addicted to (and playing) enough games. DC Universe Online is now Free to Play on PC. I just downloaded the game tonight and will probably start playing this one soon as well.
Fancy's Fancies|

“Fiction is life with the dull bits left out”- Clive James

Shjade

Quote from: Elenwe on November 01, 2011, 06:09:27 PM
Lineage 2 is going to be f2p before the end of this year, I'm sooo going to check out my old little sorcerer when this happens, back then it was so very painful to level up but now it seems that it's much easier.

Are you seriouseseseses? :o

I only ever liked L2 for the eye candy since the grind is unbelievably grindy. F2P models are perfect for eye candy games. =D

Been meaning to try Allods, too, but sorta in an I-do-too-much-gaming-already mindset at the moment. ;p
◕/◕'s

Jacqueline

Yup, that's what I read although who knows, it might still be painful but just not that much, when it goes f2p I will let you know. Also I didn't know about Allods, the characters look pretty!

Sel Nar

Guild Wars. 30$ for the three campaigns (the trilogy pack), and after that it's All free. Only thing you have to pay for is campaign access, and eye of the north, while it's a nice little 'capstone' to the story, isn't required.

Jacqueline

Guild wars 2 is due to release soon too but who knows when. Anyway there is a race that bothers me so much, I don't remember the name but it's a bunch of creepy ugly little things, I hate them.

Sel Nar

Would that be the Asura (playable in GW2) due to how cute they are until they smile and reveal a mouthful of sharp'n'pointys? Or because they're demonstrably smarter than you?

Jacqueline

Yup, the Asura are as cute as a gremlin, and not Gizmo, no, no, the green ones. Remember that unlike real persons the Asura are a bunch of pixels and they possess no intelligence or feelings… although they're probably still smarter than a gremlin.

Sel Nar

Ah, but the entire 'hat' the species wears is that they're all extremely intelligent in regards to magical technologies, but utterly forget things like 'Ethics' Or 'safety'

Jacqueline

Well you only have to watch the two Gremlins movies to see how much they forget about ethics (none) and safety (less than none), they're funny.

Shjade

Quote from: Sel Nar on November 03, 2011, 01:45:31 PM
Ah, but the entire 'hat' the species wears is that they're all extremely intelligent in regards to magical technologies, but utterly forget things like 'Ethics' Or 'safety'

So they're gnomes.
◕/◕'s

Sel Nar

Gnomes use pure technology, and, if we're talking the Krynn variant, fail utterly all the time. Asura acre genuinely successful, but as a race they're both unfocused, and highly experimental so they end up doing things like overcharging a Golem's capacitor crystal, which would make it more powerful but have a chance of going kablam in a way capable of killing whomever was studying it.

Also, Asura are taller, have bigger ears, lots of sharky teeths, and look more like sapient reptilians with football heads.

Shjade

So they're uglier gnomes. I didn't realize that was possible.
◕/◕'s

Jacqueline

At least they sound quite funny. By the way, off topic question, wasn't there a Gremlins 3 movie? it keeps ringing a bell but... I can't find it.

Oniya

IMDB's got nothing on it.  Even the message boards say that there wasn't one as of 2010, and it's not looking likely that there would be another one.

Jacqueline

Damn, then I'm likely thinking of another movie. Thanks for looking into it Oniya.

SinXAzgard21

Well i'm getting DC free on my ps3 so I'll give that a shot... Though I still play WoW.  Most free MMo's are a pain to play as if it is pvp everyone is over powered with RM gear.  So it isn't fun and then there is the grinding to max level by yourself in a game where there is barely any English speaking people though granted most the f2p games are from over seas so they are not to blame.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Shjade

Wow, just tried to install Allods to give it a shot. Slowest patcher in the history of patchers, ever. Jeebis. Free's too expensive to wait for a 920mb patch at 4kb/sec just to even TRY the game.
◕/◕'s

SinXAzgard21

Holy shit that is slow, I had RO installed and patched today in less than 15 minutes....

Jacqueline

Don't they have a torrent alike downloader? or something similar? that's really slow.

SinXAzgard21

So I downloaded DC Universe on my ps3... For a note to all people who want to get this game, do not download and patch on wifi.  Connect your ps3 via ethernet cable and life will be much smoother.

I played for about four hours and my only issue was the camera angles using the ps3 controller, it takes some time to get used to as there is no camera reset button.  Other than that it ran smooth as hell, quests are easy as there are lots of other playing and as long as you some damage you can help kill things and still get exp and quests done unlike in wow where if something is hit and you get squat. 

Didn't see much asshole trolling going on, every one seemed helpful when someone asked for advise or quest help.  Though of course we know it is out there.  Ps3 controls are really easy, the hot bars are keyed to the L2 and R2 buttons along with Triangle, Circle, Square and X buttons.  Press L2 and the button the ability is keyed to.  If you want to play on pc you only need 30gb of space, 2gb of ram and I would suggest no lower than a Radeon HD 6570 graphics card.

Ryven

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on November 03, 2011, 11:23:41 PM
Holy shit that is slow, I had RO installed and patched today in less than 15 minutes....

People still play RO?

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Ryven on November 04, 2011, 03:01:34 PM
People still play RO?

Yup, I do it when severs are down or I play my emulators.

Samael

Stealth Bastard
http://www.stealthbastard.com/

It's a new puzzle platformer. Not only does it look beautifully retro, it is also great fun, and it runs on many systems. It also comes with a level editor, which can make you sure your designs with hundreds of thousands of people.

It's only about 20MB, so, won't hurt to give it a try!
I'm enjoying it quite a lot

Stealth Bastard - Launch Trailer

On & Offs | My Games | Apologies & Absences | Tumblr
Et comme des fleurs de glace, on grandit dans la nuit
La lumière nous efface, dans la noirceur on vit
Comme des fleurs de glace, on rêve et on reste unis
Des fleurs au cœur de l'insomnie

"Eisblume - Fleurs De Glace"

Sabby

I just got onto DC Universe as well. I usually hate MMO's, but this one I'm loving!

Hemingway

Guild Wars does have one thing going for it: nine foot ( or something ) tall viking women.

That's kinda hot.

Jacqueline

I might try Guild Wars 2 when it's released, even if I hate the creepy little ones to death.

I'd like to try a cute brunette thief, just like the one in these videos, except for the hairstyle. I would choose a longer one.

Guild Wars 2 - GDC 2011 [PART 3] - Thief gameplay

Guild Wars 2 - GDC 2011 [PART 4] - Thief gameplay

Reena

One of my favorite games right now is League of Legends (leagueoflegends.com, sorry that I can't link it directly). It's a game in the same style as DotA (for those of you who've played it) and is not some kind of cheap trial version game. It's pretty fun if you like strategy games, although it also has a bit of an RPG feel to it.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Reena on November 09, 2011, 12:42:28 AM
One of my favorite games right now is League of Legends (leagueoflegends.com, sorry that I can't link it directly). It's a game in the same style as DotA (for those of you who've played it) and is not some kind of cheap trial version game. It's pretty fun if you like strategy games, although it also has a bit of an RPG feel to it.

If you look in the off topic forum there is an entire thread for that game.

Andronica

I feel you, Elenwe. The Asura are the creepiest little buggers I've seen in a game yet. When I played WoW I was put off by the gnomes and later, goblins, but these asura just take the cake. Those big eyes and little teeth... Stuff of nightmares. :P

On a similar note, I saw some footage of GW2 at G-Star, so I'm gonna go check that out now.

Sel Nar

The best part is that they deliberately play up the 'creepy' aspect simply by not smiling unless they're making a 'threat' display. If you check out Vekk's animations in Guild Wars, he only bares his teeth in battle.

Jacqueline

Quote from: LadyNox on November 09, 2011, 02:38:29 PM
I feel you, Elenwe. The Asura are the creepiest little buggers I've seen in a game yet. When I played WoW I was put off by the gnomes and later, goblins, but these asura just take the cake. Those big eyes and little teeth... Stuff of nightmares. :P

On a similar note, I saw some footage of GW2 at G-Star, so I'm gonna go check that out now.
Yes! And from the marketing and sales point of view it's weird and risky that they chose to design such a creepy race as playable. As a product, GW2 is less attractive with Asuras than without them.

Jacqueline

And on a totally unrelated note, Everquest 2 is going f2p, for real this time. This means that every server will be f2p, and not just one, sometime in December of this year. I found a link but be warned, it's a long read!

http://eq2wire.com/2011/11/10/everquest-ii-updated-free-to-play-frequently-asked-questions/

I find it funny that Everquest 1 still requires a subscription.

Type70item

A website I use often is Abandonware Paradise (Google it, it wouldn't let me post the link) It's in french but its pretty easy to sift through. it contains games that the copyright has run out on, thus it is legal to download their full version

Semantics

Out of the Park Baseball 8 went free a while back, and the OotP games are some of the best sports simulation games out there.  OotP8 has most of the features in the recent games, and the games are made so that you can import saves from earlier versions, although not always without issues.

And in a completely different vein, iSketch, an online pictionary game, can be great fun.  Even if every once and a while it spits out an absolutely impossible word.

Aleph

Another hand up here for the roguelikes :)

Oh and along the thread of ArmorGames, I very much recommend http://kongregate.com/ which seems to be a clearing house for Armor, Miniclip, NewGrounds, etc...

Sabre

No mention of Cave Story so far?  Unfortunate, it's one of the most charming platformers I've played and everyone deserves a chance to lose a few hours in it.  Download the game and then patch it to English and you're off.

Cave Story Trailer

It's great fun with some great tunes and level design.  You can buy it for the Wii and on Steam, but really the original game was released and is still available from the above website for free.

Caeli

I've gotten hooked onto Pandemic 2 lately, on Kongregate.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Caeli on December 17, 2011, 11:17:02 PM
I've gotten hooked onto Pandemic 2 lately, on Kongregate.

The only thing I learned from Pandemic 2 was that if I live in Madagascar, I am forever safe from the threat of a humanity-extinction plague.

Shjade

Except the rare plague that begins in Madagascar, which is guaranteed to kill you since you won't be allowed to leave. D:
◕/◕'s

Oniya

I just discovered 'Castaway' on Armor Games.  Rather addictive.  The sequel and a TD version are already out, but I'm semi-compulsive about playing series-es.

shojin

Darn.. I was going to post a big list of games that could be downloaded, but then it told me I can't post external links yet. Whoops! Best to Google the games I'm about to mention then...

RGB Classic Games - Old DOS games that are now abandonware.
The Game Company - flOw and Cloud are both free and relaxing games.
Metanet Software - N is one of the more frustrating and addicting games I've played.
Nifflas' Games - He's made tons of stuff.
Infocom - They've released the Zork games for free.
Nexon - They've got a bunch of free to play MMOs and other games.
Bethesda - The first two Elder Scrolls games are free.
Savage 2 - A FPS/RTS combination that's very interesting.
FEAR Combat - The original FEAR's multiplayer mode is free.
Rockstar Classics - The original two GTAs and Wild Metal country.
Duty Calls - A free FPS parody of Call of Duty.

If I recall correctly, the first few Command and Conquer games were released for free a while back, so some game file sites will probably still have full installers, but the official downloads have since disappeared.

Steam also has a ton of free games under the free games category.

Frelance

I have played a few Nexon games and tried N as well. I fell back to the games I got from friends and the free to play on steam. Now I am working my way through the Roguelike games that I have been able to find and I have been playing Dwarf fortress.

Brandon

Runes of magic was recomended to me a long time ago and I remember checking it out but not really being into it. It might be worth a look for someone else though

Bejeweled 2 is also free to play and worth a look
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Zealously Jaded

I'm going to recommend DC Universe Online...it's free to play, yes there is a very large download, but my god it's worth it. If you like games like WoW then DCUO is even better.

Oniya

Okay - Castaway 2 trumps the original, big-time.  If I could find an MMO like that, I'd probably actually play it.

Anjasa

http://theturtle.editions.free.fr/nanigaming/freeindiebundle/ has five free indie games! I haven't played any of them, but figured some might be interested.

Samael

Wow, the Nitronic Rush looks awesome.
I'm going to download that one and give it a whirl.

Stealth Bastard is pretty fun. It's a puzzle plattformer, and great.

I think the classic CnC games can be downloaded here
http://www.commandandconquer.com/classic/

Shjade

On the fence about trying Stealth Bastard. ... Wait, it's free, what am I on the fence about. *download*

Ooo, classic C&C? Hm. I do feel a certain urge to build sandbags into an enemy base... *trollface*

Edit: Hm...none of the C&C games on that site appear to be offered for free. Even the "classic" game is $20 for "C&C First Decade."
◕/◕'s

Frelance

I like the look of Tiberian alliance, now i just have to wait for the beta code.

shojin

Quote from: Samael on January 03, 2012, 07:38:14 PM
I think the classic CnC games can be downloaded here
http://www.commandandconquer.com/classic/

Quote from: Shjade on January 03, 2012, 08:57:48 PM
Edit: Hm...none of the C&C games on that site appear to be offered for free. Even the "classic" game is $20 for "C&C First Decade."

EA removed the official download links because they released that pack on origin. However, it is technically freeware now, and I'm sure that the install files are floating around somewhere. I've got them backed up on my hard drive here, but am reluctant to put it onto my server if that is indeed taboo.

Shjade

Nah, they are still around on sites like Joystiq, Shojin. They're findable if someone wants them, just not on the official site anymore from the looks of things.
◕/◕'s

shojin

Quote from: Shjade on January 03, 2012, 11:27:48 PM
Nah, they are still around on sites like Joystiq, Shojin. They're findable if someone wants them, just not on the official site anymore from the looks of things.

Oh good, no reason to stick my hand into the garbage disposal.

Samael

Quote from: Samael on January 03, 2012, 07:38:14 PM
Wow, the Nitronic Rush looks awesome.
I'm going to download that one and give it a whirl.

Alright, I've been giving Nitronic Rush a few test drives, and it's remarkably polished.
The art is distinct and beautiful, and the controls, outside of the fact that you cannot seem to change them, unfortunately, are adequate and tight enough to make steering rather easy.
It's fast, and interesting, and nice to play a round or two for a few minutes every now and then.

Definitely recommending it
Nitronic Rush - Let's Play

Samael

For what it is worth it, Star Trek Online just went Free to play.
http://www.startrekonline.com/frontpage

TankNSpank

EverQuest 2 - MMO just went free-to-play and a very good / polished MMO at that.  Much better than the standard fare of F2P WoW clones or asian MMOs.

FreeCiv - A free remake of Civilisation (4X turn-based strategy game)
OpenTTD - A free remake of Transport Tycoon (real-time transport business simulator - you build railroads, roads, etc to satisfy the transport needs of businesses and cities on the map)
The Ur-Quan Masters - A free Star Control 2 port (space exploration)

League of Legends - Free MOBA game (best one of the crop imo)

Quake Live - Free FPS shooter that runs inside your browser

While not free, GoG (gog.com) has a lot of great old games available for low prices ($2.99 - $9.99) and they do giveaways now and then where you can win titles for free.  I recently bought and really loved Space Rangers 1 and 2.

Oniya

I recently had a breakthrough on Gemcraft 0 (level 55, Bleeding Edge mode), so I've gotten back to playing that.  I gave the end-level a go before that, and I still need some leveling.

TheGlyphstone

Heh, I've been amusing the heck out of myself with Gemcraft Labyrinth myself actually (though I shelled out $5 for the Premium bonuses).

Oniya

I went all the way through Labyrinth, (haven't spent the $5 yet, but I'm sure it's in the future) and decided I wanted to see the 'rest of the story'.  So, I stopped just before the end and chugged back to 0.  I'll be going to 1 after I've thrashed the hell out of this one, then finish off Labyrinth - hopefully in time to catch the release of GC2.

TheGlyphstone

I played Labyrinth to the end once, but barely scraping by. This time around, I'm going for absolute maximum points that I can on every level, trying to come close to the ridiculous scores you see some people able to achieve.

Though I think Labyrinth is a prequel to Chapter 0, though - GC:L details the release of the Forgotten One from its prison, Gemcraft 0 is where a wizard gets possessed by the Forgotten One, and Chapter 1 is another wizard defeated the possessed wizard.

Oniya

I got the impression that GCL occurred after the initial theft of the Gem of Eternity by the character in GC0 - a second Gem needed to be made (in the final level) in order to replace the stolen Gem. 

EDIT:  Okay, I located the GemCraft Wiki (gods, there's a wiki for everything!)

Gemcraft 0:

The story follows a young wizard who is trying to find the Gem of Eternity, a gem with mysterious power. He's looked for it in books, but the wizard council tried to stop him. One day, his compass points north, towards the Gem of Eternity. He travels north, fights the arcane guardians, and eventually finds the Gem of Eternity. He unlocks it, but by doing so, unleashes the Forgotten. The Forgotten takes him over, and he become the corrupt wizard at the start of Gemcraft Chapter 1 (The Forgotten).

Gemcraft 1:

The story focuses around a young wizard who is sent to fight an evil wizard in the east. The wizard finds out that there is another wizard in the east who has unleashed monsters for some unknown reason. The wizard battled his way across the land, clearing towers of monsters. When he got to the end, he found that something called "The Forgotten" has possessed this other wizard, but it decides that you're a better host, so it kills the other wizard and possesses you. You're then told that it is going to take you to the east, to unleash more havoc.

Gemcraft Labyrinth:

The story in Gemcraft Labyrinth follows a young wizard who's final quest appeared on a map after a village he was guarding had been attacked. The map led him to a labyrinth. The wizard found his way to the center and used the four crafting pylons inside the Labyrinth to make a new Gem of Eternity. He then travels to return the Gem to the SpiritForge, leading up to Chapter 2.

TheGlyphstone

That'd make sense - I haven't played any of them to their conclusion in a long time, so I'm likely to misremember plot elements.

Elkay

I didn't see a mention of Team Fortress 2 here. It went Free To Play when Meet the Medic came out.

Caeli

I actually want to get back into Gemcraft 0. I always have such a blast killing the little gremlins at high speed and making them rush my towers all at once.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

SinXAzgard21

I am waiting on beta invite for Firefall.  It is a FPSMMO that is to free to play.

Shjade

Oh hey, Lineage 2 went F2P in November and I totally forgot about it. Time to check that out, I think...will report first impressions. ;p
◕/◕'s

Kuje

It was announced this week that EQ1 is also going free to play in March.

Shjade

Man. As much as I'd like to be all sweet nostalgia about that, I just can't find enthusiasm for it. Compared to modern MMO's, EQ1 is just so non-user-friendly. x.x

...but I'll probably have to give it another try for old times' sake.
◕/◕'s

Kuje

Quote from: Shjade on January 31, 2012, 12:22:23 PM
Man. As much as I'd like to be all sweet nostalgia about that, I just can't find enthusiasm for it. Compared to modern MMO's, EQ1 is just so non-user-friendly. x.x

...but I'll probably have to give it another try for old times' sake.

Yea, that's my problem with going back to it. I loved it when it first came out, I still have the CD's for the original game, but it's just so frustrating to get into now. I'm to spoiled from WoW and other MMO's.

Shjade

Yeah. There's barely any comparison when you put EQ/EQ2 against WoW in basic things like quest and map information, flow of play (EQ/EQ2 both encourage grinding to level much more than WoW's more quest-oriented experience layout), combat execution... Going back to play older MMOs is the best way for me to see why WoW has the kind of success it does by comparison.

Which brings me in a completely non-smooth segue to Lineage 2. My personal internet issues aside, I have to say I'm surprised by the way they've done things. When I played L2 years ago I heard nightmare stories about how much grind was in the game, how slow everything went, so on and so forth. I was playing on an illegitimate server at the time, one with massively inflated gold and experience gain, so I didn't see that firsthand, just stuff I'd heard.

Joining the legit free server, I went from level 1 to 32 in about four hours of play. The tutorial island basically powerlevels you all the way to level 20 and your first class change while teaching you basic mechanics, and the next few quests after that gradually introduce some grindy elements in the form of "kill X monsters in this area" quests. The game seems to lack an on-screen counter for these quests, which is quite annoying: if I need to kill 20 imps, 25 bats and 10 warriors, but I don't have any indicator of how many I killed, am I supposed to just keep track in my head as I go? (The answer, of course, is no - just keep killing everything in the area until you get the ping and new quest info that tells you you're done...but it's still annoying.) On the downside, getting leveled up so quickly means missing out on some travel around that would have been involved in the old L2 world, going from your starter zone to the first town, meeting NPCs along the way, etc. On the upside, who cares, you get to skip ahead!

Considering how incredibly slow character progression takes place in this game (by which I mean I'm level 32 and still have exactly one attack ability, Power Shot, with all my other damage coming from simple auto-attacks; I'd have three or four if I were melee or a caster, but still far fewer active abilities than you might expect to have by your 30's from playing other MMORPGs), I think making your world power newcomers up to 30 or so before even starting to slow down is a great idea. MMORPGs that have been through a few expansions tend to have a lot of layers for new players to learn and climb through before they can reach the "current" new content. Maybe super-fast leveling early on skips early content, but I think giving people the option to backtrack and do that stuff before moving forward is better than forcing them to grind through it to catch up. Interesting choice, in any case; I can't say I've seen something like that in another MMO yet, the closest comparison being WoW's Death Knights getting to start in their 50's.

That went longer than I planned. >.> In other news, movement still feels awkward given it's mainly mouse-oriented, targeting feels a little sloppy compared with tab-targeting in any number of games I could name, actions are on the laggy side (movements take about a half-second to register before you actually start moving), and, as has always been the case in this game, popular teleport/town hubs are absolutely mobbed by player market offers that make it hellish to navigate those areas. Not sure yet whether I'd recommend it (my own internet issues have been frustrating but are unrelated to the game, I think), but it's looking promising for the moment.

Oh, one thing to keep in mind though: it's an open PVP game. Anyone can attack you outside a safe zone whenever they want, and I believe there's some low-percentage chance that you'll lose gear if killed in PVP, but not really sure how that works - I'm not a PVP-enthusiast myself. Just something to know before you decide to jump into this one.
◕/◕'s

DarklingAlice

Did I mention Spelunky? It kind of falls into the spectrum of roguelikes and kind of not. Still a fun time.
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong.

Oniya

That looks very dangerous.  I feel my productivity seeping away. as I download.

Shjade

Additional caution about trying out Lineage 2: for some reason whenever I log out of it my internet connection seems to completely lock down until I reboot the computer. Not sure what's causing it, but it's definitely linked. So if you decide to check out the game and find yourself having odd internet drop issues soon after...yeah, that's probably related.
◕/◕'s

Elkay

Does anyone here play Spiral Knights? It's Free to Play, and it is a sweet little game, but I found it repetitive.

Caeli

Quote from: DarklingAlice on January 31, 2012, 08:58:46 PM
Did I mention Spelunky? It kind of falls into the spectrum of roguelikes and kind of not. Still a fun time.

:o adorbz.

*downloads* ;D

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Tiberius

endofnations.com/en

Totally kick ass game, currently in alpha phase but soon to be moving into closed beta then shortly after public beta. Its a full scale game development for what looks like it should be a subscription model game but they decided to remove the subscription model soon after they announced the game. Its an MMO-RTS with a worldwide metagame that lasts in 3 month cycles where you fight for control of each of the world's regions and has I think a 50 scenario campaign that can be co-opped with multiple players.

The biggest map on the game can hold up to 55 players from memory, I have bad memory so things are usually not completely correct

Shjade

Katawa Shoujo, a visual novel game about a high school boy who finds out he has arrhythmia and ends up being transferred to a school for disabled youths.

Only been playing it for about ten minutes. Writing seems fair, though not really gripping me yet. Pretty good artwork. Hard to argue with "free."

Giving it a try myself since I've never really played/read through one of these for more than a couple of minutes before.

Edit: after finishing one of the storylines...I dunno, it's sorta hard to offer review/critique for a type of story/game that I've never played before. I can't tell if the quality of writing is above or below the average for this kind of thing. All in all it was interesting enough to keep me wanting to see it through, but at the same time I found myself often reflecting on the writing itself with some disappointment/unintentional amusement (especially the euphemism-packed eroge bits, one of which included a phrasing I'd never seen before that made me just go "really?"). Not sure if I could say I recommend it, exactly, but it's interesting enough to peruse if you're curious about the genre, anyway. Seems perhaps a little too rigid in following character archetypes: the shy girl, the loud girl, the calm girl, etc., but at least they don't feel completely flat. A little surprised by how few choices are involved; maybe five or six important branches early on, then everything afterward is pretty much set in stone, from the looks of things. Odd design. Dunno what I think of it yet.

(Spoiler alert: Rin gets all the best dialogue.)
◕/◕'s

Samael

AirMech
http://www.carbongames.com/

Its a mix of Tower Defense and RTS, and pretty fun from what I can see.
It's also free, of course.
AirMech (Alpha) - Indie Strategy Gameplay!

Jonathan White

I play a lot of PC games. I've been tapering them off except for a couple. I haven't been involved in a good freeware game in a while.

SCP-087 is definitely not a bad place to start. It's not so much a game as it is an interactive experience, but it can be considered a game if you consider not backing out of the program before you reach the scary bottom of the horror staircase a game.

Here is the Rock Paper Shotgun write-up and download link.

And if you like that, the SCP Wiki is full of great clinically detached stories of SCARY.

Below is a playthrough of the game.

SCP-087
Posting Speed: Turtle. Will post ASAP, though.

Brandon

Now that its officially out I suggest you look up Tribes:Ascend

Ive been playing it since it was in its invitation beta and its amazing if you like skill based First person shooters

Shjade

Quote from: Brandon on April 16, 2012, 01:39:21 AM
Ive been playing it since it was in its invitation beta and its amazing if you like skill based First person shooters

As opposed to...what? Luck-based first person shooters?
◕/◕'s

Brandon

Quote from: Shjade on April 16, 2012, 01:30:37 PM
As opposed to...what? Luck-based first person shooters?

Luck or strategy based FPS, yes. Those are two types that some other games fall into

Shjade

1) What is a luck-based fps?

2) How is strategy not skill?
◕/◕'s

Brandon

Quote from: Shjade on April 17, 2012, 05:38:58 PM
1) What is a luck-based fps?

2) How is strategy not skill?

1) In my opinion, the recent Call of duty games

2) Strategy based FPS like battlefield 3 and TF2 require planning and good execution of that plan. In these kinds of games strategy will always win. You can have someone getting tons of kills but it will not overcome the group effort

Shjade

The group effort requires greater skill than one guy killing a bunch of dudes. Most people with enough time at the keyboard will get good enough to go on killstreaks; fewer will learn how to properly coordinate with their team and make effective maneuvers.

No comment on the CoD luck thing since I haven't played those.
◕/◕'s

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Shjade on April 18, 2012, 05:07:14 AM
The group effort requires greater skill than one guy killing a bunch of dudes. Most people with enough time at the keyboard will get good enough to go on killstreaks; fewer will learn how to properly coordinate with their team and make effective maneuvers.

No comment on the CoD luck thing since I haven't played those.

I agree that a group game requires skill to play as you need to coordinate where to attack and who to focus on.  The issue is that most people don't play on an actual team, most just go out and get the kills they seem to run across (luck).  So in my honest opinion... All online fps are luck.

As for CoD, stay far away from it.

TheGlyphstone

Not to mention saying "Yeah, but 'insert game here' actually takes skill, unlike all those other games" tends to make a person come off as being needlessly elitist or snobbish.

Sel Nar

A good example is this; World of Tanks takes Luck, because if you're matched against a tank 2-3 tiers above yours, you won't be able to do shit-all to them in regards to damage, because you can't penetrate their armour, or because all your shots bounce; 99% of tier 4 and 5 tanks get set up against Tier 7+ tanks for 'scouting' which turns into horrible, horrible rape.

Mechwarrior online takes skill because regardless of what 'mech you're in, all the weapons will do the same damage. A medium laser will do 5 points to you if you're in a Jenner or if you're in an Atlas (and, coincidentally, both 'mechs have the same ~number~ of medium lasers), but the Jenner pilot has to rely on its speed and jumpjets to avoid getting hammered by a bigger 'mech's heavy guns that the recon-type can't really carry.

A skilled light 'mech pilot can kill an unskilled Assault pilot. A skilled WoT tanker in a tier 4 can only do scratch damage to anything tier 6 or higher.

TheGlyphstone

That sounds more like grinding and/or cash-based than Luck, at the levels you're talking about. If two equal-tier, identical tanks have a 50% chance of winning against each other regardless of user input, that'd be more luck-based.

HairyHeretic

There are both luck and skill elements to it. Depending where you hit an enemy tank, you may land a critical hit on them, which puts them at a disadvantage. The skills you've selected for your crew, and the level of training in said skills will also play a factor.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Sel Nar

Quote from: HairyHeretic on April 18, 2012, 06:00:06 PM
There are both luck and skill elements to it. Depending where you hit an enemy tank, you may land a critical hit on them, which puts them at a disadvantage. The skills you've selected for your crew, and the level of training in said skills will also play a factor.

To a point; If I'm in a VK1602 (25-ton Tier 4 'Scout' Tank) in World of Tanks, my gun's a dinky 50mm gun that, while it's a reasonable threat to anything in equal or lower tier, will bounce off of anything tier 5 and up; also, due to the game's design, Tier 4 and 5 tanks are weighted on the autobalance system as if they were tier 7 and 8 tanks, because they're 'expendable eyes' for artillery. And, yes, I've been 2-shot by the Russian equivalent (An A-20, which has a long-barreled 76mm cannon borrowed from a Sherman, last I checked), after hitting the A-20 with a half-dozen AP shells.

Against anything heavier, or better-armoured, the Low-tier tanks are basically somewhat crunchy bags of Experience and credits to the medium and heavy tanks on the opposing team, regardless of how skillfully you play.

HairyHeretic

My comment was more directed at the post above mine. I play WoT myself, I have US, Russian and German stuff all up as far as Tier 7, so I know quite well what it's like :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Brandon

Quote from: Shjade on April 18, 2012, 05:07:14 AM

I disagree, the group effort requires coordination, not skill.

Oniya

Quote from: Sel Nar on April 18, 2012, 04:55:43 PM
A skilled light 'mech pilot can kill an unskilled Assault pilot. A skilled WoT tanker in a tier 4 can only do scratch damage to anything tier 6 or higher.

I used to watch Mr. Oniya take out anything and everything in a Locust, playing MechWarrior 1.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Oniya on April 18, 2012, 09:17:59 PM
I used to watch Mr. Oniya take out anything and everything in a Locust, playing MechWarrior 1.

I'll never play another console or computer mech game because of this BattleTech.

Sel Nar

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on April 18, 2012, 09:21:03 PM
I'll never play another console or computer mech game because of this BattleTech.

I think this gameplay video from Mechwarrior Online will be enough to whet your appetite?

MechWarrior Online - Gameplay Trailer

Internal Alpha build, but you can definitely enjoy the crunch.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Sel Nar on April 18, 2012, 11:32:57 PM
I think this gameplay video from Mechwarrior Online will be enough to whet your appetite?

Nope, I like the fact that at the airlock, it is a full cockpit.  The game does look pretty though.

Shjade

Quote from: Brandon on April 18, 2012, 08:56:18 PM
I disagree, the group effort requires coordination, not skill.

*facepalm*

Coordination is skill.
◕/◕'s

SinXAzgard21

It takes skill to coordinate a team.... I don't know about you but I'm not letting some random dude that just started playing a game coordinate an assault.

Sabby

I think Brandon means the kind of skill you'd see in Unreal tournament, if they ramped up the speed and turned the gravity down. In other words, twitch reflexes. This is not the same as Halo and Call of Duty, because there's more random grenades.

Shjade

I think Brandon means "skill" the same way the guy in League of Legends who, after going 0/12/4, demands I 1v1 him outside Baron to prove he's a better player than I am because my team's been ganking his poor decision-making all game long thinks he's "skilled."

That is, focusing only on individual killing ability because nothing else can compare with the skill it takes to aim with a mouse.

To clarify, yeah, it takes practice and skill to learn how to manipulate a game's physics for peak performance. That doesn't make it the only skill involved, or even necessarily the hardest to master.
◕/◕'s

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Shjade on April 19, 2012, 12:54:10 AM
I think Brandon means "skill" the same way the guy in League of Legends who, after going 0/12/4, demands I 1v1 him outside Baron to prove he's a better player than I am because my team's been ganking his poor decision-making all game long thinks he's "skilled."

That is, focusing only on individual killing ability because nothing else can compare with the skill it takes to aim with a mouse.

To clarify, yeah, it takes practice and skill to learn how to manipulate a game's physics for peak performance. That doesn't make it the only skill involved, or even necessarily the hardest to master.

I find it funny and sad that those playing a team based game only are concerned with their individual performance.  I honestly wish me and Goldie could find people to help teach the game... I understand somethings and Goldie is getting the hang of it.  Just can't have Ashe and fiddle running bottom or top and expect quick results.

Sabby

Quote from: Sel Nar on April 18, 2012, 11:32:57 PM

Wow... I can kind of see group battles, in urban terrain being kind of fun, but that? The one on one on wide space looks coma inducing.

Sel Nar

I'd like to point out that it was four of the devs playing in a 12v12 map for demonstration purposes only. The full version will be far more... cluttered.

Remember; the Slowest confirmed 'mech in MWO, the Atlas, jogs at a rather speedy clip of 54 Kph while still able to aim and fire mostly-accurately.

Craz

Quote from: Sabby on April 19, 2012, 03:34:14 AM
Wow... I can kind of see group battles, in urban terrain being kind of fun, but that? The one on one on wide space looks coma inducing.

Battletech is this odd, actually rather fun, balanced between titan heavyweights slugging it out, and a battle of maneuvering. When mechs get THAT close, it turns into a slugfest like that. It ain't Tribes, but once XL engines get introduced, we're going to see some serious speed in that game.

Sel Nar

In regards to MWO, The game's set for mid 3049, so right at the start of the Clan incursion into the Inner Sphere. It's safe to assume that 'Level 2' Technology will be the Norm, so Gauss Rifles, XL Engines, Pulse and ER lasers, Streak SRM systems, and, of course, Ferro-Fibrous armour and Endo-Steel internal structure are all available to be played with.

So if you really want to, you can swap out the Jenner's engine for an XL version and have some free space to play with. (Personal Suggestion? 2.5 more tons of armour) The mechlab system lets you modify and upgrade your machine of choice in a variety of ways, which I'm glad for.

AndyZ

I didn't read through all this, so apologies if it's already on the list, but Tribes Ascend has been pretty decent if you enjoy Team FPS games.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Elias

So totally old school, but decent. http://www.mooncalfstudios.com/pathofthevampire/login.php

Grid based with heavy rp elements, not freeform though its a very clear universe supported by a city grid you play on. Have fun those who join  O:)

KaiiVii

I know someone mentioned it before but I really have to second Kongregate.com I usually can spend about a week on a game before I get bored and leave (which is about normal for me) so have lots of games to choose from/no downloads is nice :)
"Whatever you are, be a good one"- Abe Lincoln

On/Off/Plot/etc Thread :)

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: KaiiVii on April 30, 2012, 12:08:16 AM
I know someone mentioned it before but I really have to second Kongregate.com I usually can spend about a week on a game before I get bored and leave (which is about normal for me) so have lots of games to choose from/no downloads is nice :)

I play some games on Kongregate, mostly cuz it earn power rewards daily... Granted it isn't much but hey it is something.

Teo Torriatte

I too frequent Kongregate, but for flash games I have also been spending a great deal of time at the Adult Swim games page. Shouldn't be hard to google, as I'm pretty sure I can't post links yet.

My two current favorite games on there are Robot Unicorn Attack Evolution (although the original still has a special place in my heart) and Lesbian Spider Queens from Mars, which is a sort of reverse re-imagining of the classic arcade game Wizard of Wor, except with lesbian spider queens, and Mars.

Darius

Didn't Star Trek Online just go free to play as well?
When the avalanche has started, the pebbles no longer get to vote.
Ons and Offs
absence to make hearts grow fonder
Story ideas
Darius & His Ramblings
No one is an unjust villain in their own mind… we are all the hero of our own story.” A Lucio

HairyHeretic

A few months back I believe.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Feanaro

Yes, star trek online is now f2p, and available through steam along with quite a few other MMO'S. There a a number of good free fps games on steam too.

Personally, im another kongregate player, as well as newgrounds. Another good free browser based frr game is www.ageofchampions.com, but you need to link it to a facebook account to be able to do much.

Ive also wasted many an hour on echo bazzar.

Brandon

It flew under my radar till a few weeks ago but Ive been playing it off and on. Try out http://Super monday night combat. Its a MOBA game only in a 3rd person shooter aspect and IMO requires a lot more skill to master then MOBA games like LOL or HON. It also has a very funny personality to it

The problem is the game does an abyssmal job of teaching you how to play and there is very little online community. The two biggest rules of SMNC is 1. Kill robots to get as much money/xp as you can. You dont need to last hit, just hit within 5 seconds of their death and you get credit. Killing bots is more important then killing champions because level advantages are significant boosts to your personal power. 2. Control the annihilator. The annihilator is an interactable place in the "jungle" of each stage. It takes 5 mins for it to become active and costs $1000 to activate but when activated it severely damages all enemy pros (SMNC's name for champions) and destroys all enemy bots on the field.

Its common for the snowball effect to happen in SMNC. Once you start loosing its really hard to recover but I still enjoy it a lot more then other MOBA games because Pro's arent made of wet paper and money doesnt determine a Pro's personal power

Also an honorable mention needs to go to Blacklight: retribution. Another FPS that has an interesting business model that includes rentals for guns/equipment. Its not really my thing but it's worth a mention.

Shjade

Some folks I know who've played SMNC complain that the game balance is pretty out of whack in that Pros who don't have "throw kills" are basically useless by comparison to the ones that do. That's pretty much the only thing I've heard about it, good or bad.
◕/◕'s

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Brandon on July 21, 2012, 10:16:48 AM
It flew under my radar till a few weeks ago but Ive been playing it off and on. Try out [img=http://www.uberent.com/]http://Super monday night combat.[/img] Its a MOBA game only in a 3rd person shooter aspect and IMO requires a lot more skill to master then MOBA games like LOL or HON. It also has a very funny personality to it

The problem is the game does an abyssmal job of teaching you how to play and there is very little online community. The two biggest rules of SMNC is 1. Kill robots to get as much money/xp as you can. You dont need to last hit, just hit within 5 seconds of their death and you get credit. Killing bots is more important then killing champions because level advantages are significant boosts to your personal power. 2. Control the annihilator. The annihilator is an interactable place in the "jungle" of each stage. It takes 5 mins for it to become active and costs $1000 to activate but when activated it severely damages all enemy pros (SMNC's name for champions) and destroys all enemy bots on the field.

Its common for the snowball effect to happen in SMNC. Once you start loosing its really hard to recover but I still enjoy it a lot more then other MOBA games because Pro's arent made of wet paper and money doesnt determine a Pro's personal power

Also an honorable mention needs to go to [img=https://register.perfectworld.com/bl_splash]http://Blacklight: retribution.[/img] Another FPS that has an interesting business model that includes rentals for guns/equipment. Its not really my thing but it's worth a mention.

Played it for a while and really tried to like it.... But then decided it wasn't worth my time.   The game feels to stiff and honestly the snowball effect ruins the game for me. 

muddturtle13

I'll post in any thread that mentions LoL.   :-)

SinXAzgard21

There is an LoL thread in the Off Topic forum.

Cute Akira

For all 90's kids with awesome childhood... LETS PLAY POKEMON ONLINE XD XD XD XD

http://www.pokemonworldonline.net/

Enjoy Akira's Saga HERE !!!

Wolfy

Guild wars 2?

...I mean yeah, you have to purchase the actual game..but hey, no subscription fee.

Naught

Molten-wow
Is a private f2p world of Warcraft server with wotlk and cata. :3
"The keys to the castle
Are right where I left them
The princess walked in just to
take more attention."
Ons an Offs

SinXAzgard21

Playing GW2, I have my Rytlock Brimstone statue on my computer desk.

As for molten WoW...  I played it for a while before they had cata... Never again.

Shjade

Quote from: Wolfy on August 28, 2012, 03:48:18 PM
Guild wars 2?

...I mean yeah, you have to purchase the actual game..but hey, no subscription fee.

If that constitutes f2p, we might as well list the entire Steam library in this thread, since you just have to buy them before you can play them. >.>
◕/◕'s

SinXAzgard21

Guild Wars 2 is b2p (buy to play).

Raen234

There are a bunch of games in beta that it should be pretty easy to get onto.

Smite - team based / champion based game

Firefall - FPS MMO

Mech warrior online is doing an open beta
Wheaton's Law - Dont be a dick My O/Os

HairyHeretic

If it's been mentioned before, we now need to remove City of Heroes / Villains from the list, as they announced a couple of days ago that the game is being closed down in the next few months.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

SinXAzgard21

I really suggest FireFall, I've mentioned it months back and still suggest giving it a try.

Shjade

Quote from: HairyHeretic on September 03, 2012, 05:59:29 AM
If it's been mentioned before, we now need to remove City of Heroes / Villains from the list, as they announced a couple of days ago that the game is being closed down in the next few months.

I have to admit that announcement was a little disheartening. I only played the game for maybe a month and can't say I enjoyed it too much, but I know it had a fairly close-knit community as far as MMOs go and a lot of people were happy with it. Shame to see it go down in flames so soon after trying the F2P transition. :|
◕/◕'s

makizushi

Ever wanted to be a pirate, control a ship, and sink other people?!

Pirates of the Burning Sea. It's a free to play game made by Sony. It's been around a while now and it's really interesting. Plenty of role play options to go along with it.

I wish I had someone to play with, or even a group to make a guild or something. It's a fantastic game!

Frozen Flame

What I love about free-to-play MMO's is the straightforward gameplay and grinding. I have yet to find one that doesn't have an unnecessarily complex crafting system, and ridiculous grinding curves though. I understand the economic reasons they're there (servers are expensive,) but it can be a killjoy for otherwise great games. Fiesta and World of Kung Fu come to mind.

Shjade

I don't think Atlantica Online or Vindictus have unnecessarily complex crafting systems, but they DO have stupid amounts of grind.
◕/◕'s

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Shjade on September 07, 2012, 04:42:16 AM
I don't think Atlantica Online or Vindictus have unnecessarily complex crafting systems, but they DO have stupid amounts of grind.

Stupid amounts is the nice way to put it.

Mobats

the free MMO's are epic for the most part

Teo Torriatte

I have been playing quite a few freeware games. I apologize if some of these have already been mentioned.

Action Fist- a loving tribute to games like Gunstar Heroes, with solid mechanics and cute pixel graphics.
Around the World in 33 Days- Take a bit of Loco Roco and a bit of Gish, mash it up in Gamemaker and you get this. Pretty fun, imo.
Desktop Dungeons- A wonderful little coffee break length, board game style roguelike. There is a commercial version that is still in the works, but I still like this version a lot.
Eye Attack 2- This is exactly what a 2d Mario Galaxy game would play like, if you took out Mario and put a giant eyeball in his place. Yes, it's as epic as it sounds.
Genetos- Pretty much the entire evolution of the shoot-em-up(shmup) genre in one game. Very slick and fun to play, imo.
Glum Buster- A cool little game that mixes several genres and makes you think a little, as well. And it's charityware!
GraviTron- No, this isn't based on the gut wrenching carnival ride. It's an update of the old "cave flyer", games like Thrust, with slick neon graphics.
Iji- A platform shooter with a really nice story, multiple endings, a nifty upgrade system, and generally more going for it than a lot of commercial games.
Janitor Dan the Spaceman- A 2D platformer that makes me wish I could find a job cleaning space stations.
Last Scenario- A game made with RPGMaker that is a tribute to the old school JRPG. It even has a little card side game akin to Triple Triad. I spent waaay too much time playing Triple Triad, lol. (Almost as much time as I spent playing Blitzball, but that is getting way off topic)
NeonPlat Adventures- A Mario Bros style platformer with neon graphics. The coolest thing about this game is that there is a near endless number of levels, based on what day it is, you can go back to past days and then every new day means a new level.
Ninjammin Beat-jitsu- This is one of my favorite games ever. A rhythm platformer with plenty of levels, unlockables and achievements.
Pragmatica- A puzzle game where you program robots to achieve various tasks. Way more fun than I just made it sound, lol. And it has some really slick presentation.
Sixty Five Million and One BC- An awesome 2D platformer with some insanely smooth animation... and dinosaurs!
Spelunky- A randomly generated platformer where you play some pixelly guy that wants to be Indiana Jones. I love this game, you can get into some really crazy situations, some of them which are less than winnable but then you can just try again and get something totally different.
Stealth Bastard- A 2D platformer that focuses on stealth... and being a bastard? Much more the former than the latter, and is a really great game to boot with pretty pixel graphics, a level editor and a global leader board.
Super Crate Box- More of a time waster type game, but I use that in the nicest way possible. Run around shooting crates, grabbing the weapons inside them and killing hordes of bad guys. Another one with awesome pixel graphics and has that "one more go" quality.

Frozen Flame

Quote from: Luna on September 11, 2012, 10:15:51 AM
I have been playing quite a few freeware games. I apologize if some of these have already been mentioned.

Action Fist- a loving tribute to games like Gunstar Heroes, with solid mechanics and cute pixel graphics.
Around the World in 33 Days- Take a bit of Loco Roco and a bit of Gish, mash it up in Gamemaker and you get this. Pretty fun, imo.
Desktop Dungeons- A wonderful little coffee break length, board game style roguelike. There is a commercial version that is still in the works, but I still like this version a lot.
Eye Attack 2- This is exactly what a 2d Mario Galaxy game would play like, if you took out Mario and put a giant eyeball in his place. Yes, it's as epic as it sounds.
Genetos- Pretty much the entire evolution of the shoot-em-up(shmup) genre in one game. Very slick and fun to play, imo.
Glum Buster- A cool little game that mixes several genres and makes you think a little, as well. And it's charityware!
GraviTron- No, this isn't based on the gut wrenching carnival ride. It's an update of the old "cave flyer", games like Thrust, with slick neon graphics.
Iji- A platform shooter with a really nice story, multiple endings, a nifty upgrade system, and generally more going for it than a lot of commercial games.
Janitor Dan the Spaceman- A 2D platformer that makes me wish I could find a job cleaning space stations.
Last Scenario- A game made with RPGMaker that is a tribute to the old school JRPG. It even has a little card side game akin to Triple Triad. I spent waaay too much time playing Triple Triad, lol. (Almost as much time as I spent playing Blitzball, but that is getting way off topic)
NeonPlat Adventures- A Mario Bros style platformer with neon graphics. The coolest thing about this game is that there is a near endless number of levels, based on what day it is, you can go back to past days and then every new day means a new level.
Ninjammin Beat-jitsu- This is one of my favorite games ever. A rhythm platformer with plenty of levels, unlockables and achievements.
Pragmatica- A puzzle game where you program robots to achieve various tasks. Way more fun than I just made it sound, lol. And it has some really slick presentation.
Sixty Five Million and One BC- An awesome 2D platformer with some insanely smooth animation... and dinosaurs!
Spelunky- A randomly generated platformer where you play some pixelly guy that wants to be Indiana Jones. I love this game, you can get into some really crazy situations, some of them which are less than winnable but then you can just try again and get something totally different.
Stealth Bastard- A 2D platformer that focuses on stealth... and being a bastard? Much more the former than the latter, and is a really great game to boot with pretty pixel graphics, a level editor and a global leader board.
Super Crate Box- More of a time waster type game, but I use that in the nicest way possible. Run around shooting crates, grabbing the weapons inside them and killing hordes of bad guys. Another one with awesome pixel graphics and has that "one more go" quality.

Very nice. I forgot about Desktop Dungeons! I'm glad to see they're making a commercial version with purty graphics too. I lost several hours in that game...

Chris Brady

Oh, this might be a better place to post it:

http://www.blackmesasource.com/ A remake of Half-Life (the original) that's free.  And all you need is a free download of Source SDK 2007.  The game will be available in less than an hour 15 minutes.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Teo Torriatte

Quote from: Frozen Flame on September 14, 2012, 12:05:09 AM
Very nice. I forgot about Desktop Dungeons! I'm glad to see they're making a commercial version with purty graphics too. I lost several hours in that game...

Me too. I actually have the commercial version preordered, and it comes with access to the alpha they are working on. But right now it's only available to play online, and it gets tiring having to load it with my craptastic internet connection every time I want to play it. So I am waiting for them to hopefully one of these days actually finish it so I can have something to download.

Quote from: Chris Brady on September 14, 2012, 08:34:57 AM

http://www.blackmesasource.com/ A remake of Half-Life (the original) that's free.  And all you need is a free download of Source SDK 2007.  The game will be available in less than an hour 15 minutes.

Oooh I might have to check this out. My fps skills are... lacking... but I always did like this one. I remember playing this with my friends at the LAN parties we used to have, totally getting my ass kicked but having a lot of fun, anyway. The bee gun was fairly epic, and beating stuff with a wrench almost never got old.

Frozen Flame

Quote from: Chris Brady on September 14, 2012, 08:34:57 AM

Hey thanks! :D This will probably be the first game I play next week. Good stuff.

Teo Torriatte

Two more games, both of them of the roguelike variety.

HyperRogue- This one is... strange. You traverse a large, randomly generated sphere, using hexagons instead of the traditional cardinal grid most roguelikes employ. The combat is simple, don't end your movement in front of a monster, in fact, almost chess-like, the game won't let you do so and if you are put in a position where there is no other way to go, it's game over. The object is to collect treasures and open more lands to explore, which also spawns more monsters, and eventually takes you into hell where you are looking for one of the orbs to win the game.

LambdaRogue- A more traditional playing roguelike, with some very nice tile graphics. Actually, it's not so traditional in that its default game mode includes a story and quests and stuff, but you can also play in "coffeebreak mode", which makes it play much more like most other roguelikes out there. It's basically two games in one, because you can play it as a traditional rpg, or as more of a straight up dungeon crawler.

Oniya

Quote from: Luna on September 16, 2012, 05:26:43 PM
Two more games, both of them of the roguelike variety.
LambdaRogue- A more traditional playing roguelike, with some very nice tile graphics. Actually, it's not so traditional in that its default game mode includes a story and quests and stuff, but you can also play in "coffeebreak mode", which makes it play much more like most other roguelikes out there. It's basically two games in one, because you can play it as a traditional rpg, or as more of a straight up dungeon crawler.

I downloaded this, and I have to say, I'm enjoying it to pieces!  I had one playthrough where I ended up 'outside' before I was ready to take it on, and couldn't find the stairs back down, but now that I've got a better handle on it, I keep wanting to fire it up (usually when I'm supposed to be doing something else...::) )

Brandon

I recently found out that Gotham city imposters became free to play. I tried it out and its a fun game with a silly aesthetic but its got great customization options. I would never play it for a competitive FPS but its still a good time if you just want something silly

SinXAzgard21

Slender in my opinion isn't worth the download.

Game spoils:
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
You never actually win, you'll find all the pages and still die.  It has no replay but if you have friends who get scared easily then ya download it and film them.

Brandon

Two free to play games currently on my radar and one of them Im actually playing. They are Planetside 2 which is supposed to be released later this month and is a futuristic FPS.

Then there is Raiderz. At time of writing Raiderz in is an open beta test so there really is no reason not to go try the game out. Its theme is that of a monster hunting MMORPG with a very complex hit detection system similar to Terra Online.

However I would be remiss if I did not list a warning so WARNING: RAIDERZ IS HARD. After around level 15 the difficulty ramps up considerably where you must be dodging and mitigating as much damage as you can. If you arent doing that you're going to die, a lot. I started playing the game as a defender (the tank class) in the close beta test and by level 20 even with a few cleric skills the game was kicking my butt.

A note on clerics: In group combat clerics (what Im playing right now) can heal you but they lack the mana capability to chain heal or do much more then spot healing.

At time of writing I am unsure when Raiderz is supposed to go live though after looking through their cash shop I do not feel it is pay to win

Edit: Both planetside 2 and Raiderz are now live free to play games

wxiyn

+1 for armorgames. I have played most of their puzzle games.

Quote from: Oniya on October 16, 2011, 12:43:00 PM
I'm a bit of an addict to www dot armorgames dot  com and www dot  miniclip dot com/games/en

HairyHeretic

The Secret World went free to play today. If you don't already have a copy, you'll still need to buy that, but no more monthly sub.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: HairyHeretic on December 12, 2012, 03:55:11 PM
The Secret World went free to play today. If you don't already have a copy, you'll still need to buy that, but no more monthly sub.

Well I bought it a couple days ago... I haven't played much but it seems that it doesn't really like AMD cards.

Brandon

Tera online has now gone free to play. Its a neat MMO if you like spatial combat systems and can tolerate the Wold of warcraft questing style. Plus the business model is pretty fair where people who bought the game pretty much have the same game, and the subscription model gives you stuff you wouldnt have gotten before.

I cant comment on the free to play part since I bought the game before this. Anyway, check it out. Its free so what do you have to loose?

Shjade

Quote from: Brandon on February 06, 2013, 10:26:52 PM
Its free so what do you have to loose?

Well, considering it's an MMO: oodles and oodles of free time?
◕/◕'s

TheGlyphstone

Path of Exile has gone into open beta free full release. It's basically a online free Diablo II clone with an extremely complicated barter system in place of gold, an intimidatingly complex-looking skill tree, and a neat thing where spells and skills can be swapped out at will via gems and sockets.

Saerrael

Brandon

Quote from: Shjade on February 07, 2013, 10:53:57 AM
Well, considering it's an MMO: oodles and oodles of free time?

If you loose free time to a game you enjoy playing then I would say that games doing something very right. If you loose free time to a game you hate then I would say you are doing something very very wrong

In other news I heard about another free to play MMO today called dungeons and dragons Neverwinter. It just went into beta (of which Im a part of) and its interesting so far. Definately visceral spatial combat similar to raiderz and dark souls

HairyHeretic

I'm thinking about giving the DC superheros MMO a spin. Anyone play it and can offer opinions?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Shjade

If you mean DCUO, I remember trying it out long enough to be somewhat let down by the character creation and somewhat awkward control scheme.

Of course, considering I just came to the same conclusion about Tera online - more specifically that it feels like a clunkier, slower and sluttier Guild Wars 2 - maybe I just have unreasonably high standards for gameplay.
◕/◕'s

Brandon

Quote from: Shjade on February 08, 2013, 10:45:17 AM
If you mean DCUO, I remember trying it out long enough to be somewhat let down by the character creation and somewhat awkward control scheme.

Of course, considering I just came to the same conclusion about Tera online - more specifically that it feels like a clunkier, slower and sluttier Guild Wars 2 - maybe I just have unreasonably high standards for gameplay.

If you dont find the game fun you dont find it fun. Thats not your fault, nor does it mean the game is necessarily bad. It just means you dont find it fun and theres nothing wrong with that. Its why we have such a large variety of games

I dont think I ever tried DCUO, I know I meant to but I dont think I did. Since early last year Ive had beta tests and regular access for a lot of free to play games. I think it started with blacklight retribution, then the beta for Raiderz, then planetside 2, then theres the beta for Warframe, and now Im beta testing Neverwinter

Kazyth

Quote from: HairyHeretic on February 08, 2013, 07:16:45 AM
I'm thinking about giving the DC superheros MMO a spin. Anyone play it and can offer opinions?

Well, if you have played City of Heroes (RIP), DCUO has a far more limited character creation for starters.  On top of that, there is really no endgame for it, the combat is clunky but workable, and the various story/missions are pretty much what you might expect.  But hey, it's free.
A rose by any other name... still has thorns you can prick someone with. - Me.

HairyHeretic

I did indeed play CoX for quite a few years, though mostly on the Villian side. At presently I'm mostly playing Planetside 2, but I thought DCUO might be worth a look since it's free.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Kazyth

It might be at this point.  I tried it when it first came out, and wasn't impressed.  Rather like Champions Online.  I love superhero stuff, I really really do... but for me, maybe because of nostalgia or something, no superhero game yet has come close to touching CoX.  Admittedly, a good deal of that was my love of the Virtue server and RP goodness.
A rose by any other name... still has thorns you can prick someone with. - Me.

SinXAzgard21

I played DCUO for a while on both pc and ps3.  I was also a subscriber for the game for around six months as well played for free.  It really all comes down to how much are you into DC super heroes.   Flying, super speed or acrobatics from the start is nice but still a chore to get everywhere.  Combat has its ups and downs but what game doesn't.  The basics you get for free to play are decent, I think Ice is the best because you transform after getting stacks of a certain ability.  The lantern abilities are awesome, I loved playing as a lantern.  I did try the others and it was very under whelming.  Dungeons and what not well lets just say there is no real team work or strategy needed... HULK SMASH pretty much covers it. 

I say try it out since it is free but don't have the same expectations as with City of Heroes.  If you do, you'll loathe the game.

Brandon

Quote from: Kazyth on February 08, 2013, 06:24:06 PM
It might be at this point.  I tried it when it first came out, and wasn't impressed.  Rather like Champions Online.  I love superhero stuff, I really really do... but for me, maybe because of nostalgia or something, no superhero game yet has come close to touching CoX.  Admittedly, a good deal of that was my love of the Virtue server and RP goodness.

To be frank, I think thats because CoX was the best of them. The issue Ive often had with the idea of DCUO is partly because its DC but more because from the outside it looked like the game was more about their characters then the players character. In CoX you were encouraged to make unique builds and actually roleplay. Its the only game Ive ever played where I could write a story and put it on display and interestingly have people read that and say "Wow thats cool!". If youre going to make a super hero game I feel like it really needs that touch

The other thing about CoX is it had a clear personality behind it. Each faction had some lore behind it whether it was devouring earth or Vahzilok and that made the game more interesting. Plus the origin of your character whether they were naturals, technology based, or magical heros really meant something huge in both roleplaying and how you would experience the game. Perhaps the part I really loved was it actually made you feel like a hero (or villain) because of the personality and thats something Champions really lacked IMO

At the end of the day CoX was a near perfect storm of game design. The other super hero games just arent

Shjade

I hold CoX and Champions Online about on par with one another. I vastly preferred CO's creation flexibility (before they turned F2P and completely butchered your customization options as a free player, that is) and general gameplay "feel," not to mention a much quicker level grind, but I liked the world of CoX more as a setting. CO was constantly making jokes at its own expense reminding you that it's a game with random NPCs complaining about various game mechanics and so on - I hate that anti-immersion shit in an RPG. CoX's world might have been less inviting, but it at least felt like it wasn't trying to be cleverly self-aware. It wins big points for trying to maintain context. ...until you did a group dungeon and had to clear through room after room after room packed to the ceiling with mooks with combat that consisted largely of "everyone unload all your sparkly colors until the bad things stop getting up." If I could've combined CoX's quest lines and environments with CO's character customization (both powers and aesthetics - I loved being able to mix-and-match all the powers to create whatever play style I felt like using as compared to CoX's much more strict archetypes) I think I would've enjoyed the resulting game a lot more than either of the two separately...though I didn't ultimately enjoy combat in either game all that much. CO edges to the top slightly, but only slightly.

But hey, to their credit, at least both of those games managed to keep me interested for about 2-3 months each. DCUO I put down within four hours of logging in.

Also, I revise my earlier statement re: TERA online - it gets a brownie point for letting me avoid a lot more melee attacks by just moving out of the way as opposed to requiring I use a "dodge" move to avoid the damage as most GW2 attacks do. Ranged attackers were auto-tracking even when I ran all the way behind them before they fired, which I still think is shitty, but oh well, one point is still more than none!
◕/◕'s

RubySlippers

I have a friend strictly f2p on Champoins Online with a Marksman character and he is a kickass Level 40 and a major figure in a team and never spent a penny on it. And he advanced pretty well and still has content to do in it. I get it some things cost money I did spend some on this game but I love it and its always coming up with new things. I do not like the loss of the old crafting system.

Star Trek Online their other offering is also quite nice and again they are adding content and making changes to that game.

I was wondering is there a GOOD WoW like game f2p you could recommend in the fantasy genre?

Brandon

Quote from: RubySlippers on February 09, 2013, 02:20:45 PM
I was wondering is there a GOOD WoW like game f2p you could recommend in the fantasy genre?

WoW is such a chimera of different aspects both positive and negative thats its hard to pin down what you mean by wow like.

That said, there are two games that I will recommend that have a fantasy feel and are worth checking out. The first one is Raiderz. Raiderz is a spatial combat system similar to dark souls and monster hunter (in fact it was marketed as a Monster hunter MMO) but its questing system is very much like WoWs. On top of that it has some interesting lore but it is a lot more difficult then your average MMO because of the spatial combat.

Now what I mean by spatial combat (which Im sure is going to come up again in this thread) is its not like WoW where you target someone and use abilities and auto attacks till something dies. Spatial combat revolves around combat systems where positioning, movement, offensive and defensive timing counts. Spatial combat systems require people to dodge out of the way, to block attacks, and/or counter attack with normal attacks and/or abilities. The great thing about spatial combat systems is the challenge it presents, unlike games like WoW a spatial combat system allows the player to overcome number advantages through sheer skill similar to Dark souls. In the case of Raiderz there are many "bosses" that are recommended full group kills but because your characters innate power is not limited by the targeted battle system in wow and is instead capped by the skill of the individual player you can in fact kill every monster in that game solo (its just really really really hard to do so).

Ill share a video of exactly that happening which also spawned me to defeat every boss in the game myself without help (it should also give you a general look at the game which IMO isnt all that pretty but still really fun). It was hard and took a lot of tries but much like Dark souls it was soooooo worth it because after it was over and my enemies laid on the ground before me I felt like a badass. Very few games, especially MMOs, do that anymore

RaiderZ - Chimera solo (Defender)

Now the second game Im going to recommend is another spatial combat system published by the same people who published raiders (note its not the same developer). That game is Dungeons and Dragons neverwinter. However neverwinter is still in beta, if you want to try and get into it you can buy a founders pack which is...$40? I think or you can sign up for the beta. The pack garantees access though.

I consider both these games good because I find them challenging and fun but those things are subjective so your experiences may vary. If you like high skill cap games where you can hone your abilities and have them really mean something then I think you'll like these

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Brandon on February 09, 2013, 10:00:59 PM
WoW is such a chimera of different aspects both positive and negative thats its hard to pin down what you mean by wow like.

That said, there are two games that I will recommend that have a fantasy feel and are worth checking out. The first one is Raiderz. Raiderz is a spatial combat system similar to dark souls and monster hunter (in fact it was marketed as a Monster hunter MMO) but its questing system is very much like WoWs. On top of that it has some interesting lore but it is a lot more difficult then your average MMO because of the spatial combat.

Now what I mean by spatial combat (which Im sure is going to come up again in this thread) is its not like WoW where you target someone and use abilities and auto attacks till something dies. Spatial combat revolves around combat systems where positioning, movement, offensive and defensive timing counts. Spatial combat systems require people to dodge out of the way, to block attacks, and/or counter attack with normal attacks and/or abilities. The great thing about spatial combat systems is the challenge it presents, unlike games like WoW a spatial combat system allows the player to overcome number advantages through sheer skill similar to Dark souls. In the case of Raiderz there are many "bosses" that are recommended full group kills but because your characters innate power is not limited by the targeted battle system in wow and is instead capped by the skill of the individual player you can in fact kill every monster in that game solo (its just really really really hard to do so).

Ill share a video of exactly that happening which also spawned me to defeat every boss in the game myself without help (it should also give you a general look at the game which IMO isnt all that pretty but still really fun). It was hard and took a lot of tries but much like Dark souls it was soooooo worth it because after it was over and my enemies laid on the ground before me I felt like a badass. Very few games, especially MMOs, do that anymore

Now the second game Im going to recommend is another spatial combat system published by the same people who published raiders (note its not the same developer). That game is Dungeons and Dragons neverwinter. However neverwinter is still in beta, if you want to try and get into it you can buy a founders pack which is...$40? I think or you can sign up for the beta. The pack garantees access though.

I consider both these games good because I find them challenging and fun but those things are subjective so your experiences may vary. If you like high skill cap games where you can hone your abilities and have them really mean something then I think you'll like these

Raiderz looks interesting.  When I first saw the boss my mind went that's Caruban from Legend of Legaia.

Brandon

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on February 10, 2013, 12:52:51 AM
Raiderz looks interesting.  When I first saw the boss my mind went that's Caruban from Legend of Legaia.

Keep in mind that is the last boss in the game, at least before I quit. The Chimera was always one of the worst bosses in the game because you had to spend a lot of time just chasing him around. My personal favorite boss was Rivuite because it was fast paced, required you to think on your feet, and it had pretty good music. Just keep in mind that no matter what boss it is if you eat a direct hit it hurts and cleric cant spam heal you

I guess theres been new content added since I left the game so I may go back for some more solo kills but I think my past statement still holds true. The game needs more monster hunting

Also, it was pointed out to me that there was a first impression video done for Neverwinter. So if you want a look here you go, just keep in mind it is beta and beta doesnt mean finished product. After watching it myself I think it covers the strengths and weaknesses of the game better then I could (plus that promise of final dungeons being unbeaetable by the developers, oh Im all over that!)

► WTF Is... - Neverwinter (Beta) (Hyper WTF Edition) ?

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Brandon on February 10, 2013, 01:17:53 AM
Keep in mind that is the last boss in the game, at least before I quit. The Chimera was always one of the worst bosses in the game because you had to spend a lot of time just chasing him around. My personal favorite boss was Rivuite because it was fast paced, required you to think on your feet, and it had pretty good music. Just keep in mind that no matter what boss it is if you eat a direct hit it hurts and cleric cant spam heal you

I guess theres been new content added since I left the game so I may go back for some more solo kills but I think my past statement still holds true. The game needs more monster hunting

Also, it was pointed out to me that there was a first impression video done for Neverwinter. So if you want a look here you go, just keep in mind it is beta and beta doesnt mean finished product. After watching it myself I think it covers the strengths and weaknesses of the game better then I could (plus that promise of final dungeons being unbeaetable by the developers, oh Im all over that!)

► WTF Is... - Neverwinter (Beta) (Hyper WTF Edition) ?

This all has me loading up my copy of Demon Souls for Ps3 again.

RubySlippers

Quote from: Brandon on February 09, 2013, 10:00:59 PM

No point, click and die is my thing I don't want combos and all that to much keyboard work and I don't have or want to buy a mouse.

Shjade

LotRO is an old-style combat MMORPG with a fairly good F2P model (pretty sure it's been mentioned in more detail earlier in this thread).

I've heard good things about Rift, though I think it's only free to level 20?
◕/◕'s

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: RubySlippers on February 11, 2013, 01:40:51 PM
No point, click and die is my thing I don't want combos and all that to much keyboard work and I don't have or want to buy a mouse.

For most games that have combos and such you can set up a console controller to play them.  Not sure about Raiderz though.

Brittany

Quote from: Brandon on February 08, 2013, 02:21:44 AM
If you loose free time to a game you enjoy playing then I would say that games doing something very right. If you loose free time to a game you hate then I would say you are doing something very very wrong

This statement hits home so much to me.  I played a little korean game called ragnarok online and I loved it so much.  Did I spend too much time on it?  Perhaps, but I never neglected my life.  If I had free time, I was on it though.  But I enjoyed every penny and I would go back had I more time and all my friends not moved on.

I read these stories about Warcraft and everyone complaining about how they hate it so much, but they continue to pay for the pleasure of playing it.  This has always just baffled me.  I see nothing wrong with giving up time and money to play something that is fun.  No different than buying CD's or DVD's and listening/watching for hours.  But there is something wrong in spending time and money on an addiction that you don't really enjoy anymore.

Shjade

Quote from: Brittany on February 15, 2013, 06:37:18 PM
But there is something wrong in spending time and money on an addiction that you don't really enjoy anymore.

Yep, which is why I stopped. I never got to the point of hating WoW, but didn't need to: just not enjoying it enough to be worth a subscription fee was enough reason to unsub.

Though I always say if it ever goes truly F2P I'd probably peek back in...though the more I think about it the less I think I really would at this point.
◕/◕'s

Skynet

Quote from: Brittany on February 15, 2013, 06:37:18 PM
I read these stories about Warcraft and everyone complaining about how they hate it so much, but they continue to pay for the pleasure of playing it.  This has always just baffled me.  I see nothing wrong with giving up time and money to play something that is fun.  No different than buying CD's or DVD's and listening/watching for hours.  But there is something wrong in spending time and money on an addiction that you don't really enjoy anymore.

Even if people begin to have less fun with something, they can still be emotionally invested in it.  Especially if they put a lot of time and money into the hobby.  Strange as it may sound, I've encountered gamers who still follow later games zealously despite not having that 'spark' of enjoyment from earlier times.

It's more out of habit than anything else.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Shjade on February 15, 2013, 09:46:59 PM
Yep, which is why I stopped. I never got to the point of hating WoW, but didn't need to: just not enjoying it enough to be worth a subscription fee was enough reason to unsub.

Though I always say if it ever goes truly F2P I'd probably peek back in...though the more I think about it the less I think I really would at this point.

That's probably wise...when a Subscription game goes F2P, that usually indicates its death knell isn't far off, or at least the beginning of a descending slope of quality.

HairyHeretic

Not necessarily. Years ago, I would agree with you, but not so much now. We're seeing a lot more free to play (generally with cash shop) and hydrid models on the market. If I remember correctly LotRO saw somewhere in the region of a 300% earnings increase after they dropped their sub. DDO was even more.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/32322/Turbine_Lord_of_the_Rings_Online_Revenues_Tripled_As_FreeToPlay_Game.php

The way things are going, I think the pure subscription model is probably on the way out. Hybrid models, and FtP with cash shops, are likely going to increase in number.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

RubySlippers

Okay then explain one of the hot games right now World of Tanks its purely a f2p with a store model and won many awards over its time as a game and is gaining in popularity? And f2p IMHO saved Champions and Star Trek Online and they are working on a DnD f2p game now so must be making money and they are adding content and such to Cryptics two games they are doing something right.

There are three sorts of f2p gamers ones cheap who play the game free and take the free goodies that come up aka the cheapos but they add players making the game more lasting for those others that do pay.

The ala carte players the norm they spend some money on the game to get perks they want and may drop $20 or more a year.

Serious players they get subscriptions or spend money monthly on the game say $20 a month.

All are important to the f2p model the free players very often impulse by becoming ala carte players if they like the game and the bottom to add players for the Serious types. But my view if the business model works better f2- with a shop and subscriptions optional that is what companies will be doing since they make more money.

Shjade

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on February 15, 2013, 10:55:49 PM
That's probably wise...when a Subscription game goes F2P, that usually indicates its death knell isn't far off, or at least the beginning of a descending slope of quality.

That's not what I meant at all. It's more that the people I used to play WoW with were on less and less often before I unsubbed, so even if it turned free if I went back it'd feel hollow. Even though there's new content, I already feel that I have "beaten" WoW to the extent that it can be beaten, so there's no reason to play more of it.
◕/◕'s

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: RubySlippers on February 16, 2013, 10:20:18 AM
Okay then explain one of the hot games right now World of Tanks its purely a f2p with a store model and won many awards over its time as a game and is gaining in popularity? And f2p IMHO saved Champions and Star Trek Online and they are working on a DnD f2p game now so must be making money and they are adding content and such to Cryptics two games they are doing something right.

There are three sorts of f2p gamers ones cheap who play the game free and take the free goodies that come up aka the cheapos but they add players making the game more lasting for those others that do pay.

The ala carte players the norm they spend some money on the game to get perks they want and may drop $20 or more a year.

Serious players they get subscriptions or spend money monthly on the game say $20 a month.

All are important to the f2p model the free players very often impulse by becoming ala carte players if they like the game and the bottom to add players for the Serious types. But my view if the business model works better f2- with a shop and subscriptions optional that is what companies will be doing since they make more money.

WoT started as F2P, not subscription. Free-with-Store is a completely different business model, and one that's quite successful if the game is designed for it from the beginning. I specifically said 'subscription game that goes F2P' - Champions and Star Trek still exist, but they're key examples of the phenomenon I'm talking about...Champions, Star Trek, World of Conan, Warhammer Online, The Old Republic....all games that wanted to be the next big thing, expecting to take in great revenue from subscriptions, failed miserably at such and had to go F2P+cash shop, and now muddle on in a half-living state.

LotR Online is a notable exception that I'll concede. Clearly they did something right.

Quote from: Shjade on February 16, 2013, 05:07:30 PM
That's not what I meant at all. It's more that the people I used to play WoW with were on less and less often before I unsubbed, so even if it turned free if I went back it'd feel hollow. Even though there's new content, I already feel that I have "beaten" WoW to the extent that it can be beaten, so there's no reason to play more of it.
Fair enough, I see what you mean.

RubySlippers

Is it bad for a company to go from the Next-Big-Thing to a game with a good player base and brining in enough money from store purchasers and subscriptions to keep going and make improvements. Cryptic I will note besides two successful games Champions Online and Star Trek Online is coming out with the f2p/store model for the DnD Neverwinter Game. And its part of the Perfect World family and they have also very good games and can play the f2p model well.

Face it suscriptions only is not a good business model there are to many options out there now and when it comes to money f2p with a store is more likely to make money that expecting people to pay $20 a month to play a game. I suspect in time even WoW will need to seriously consider going f2p especially as the competition gets better.

I would say the games will either fail or not based on the market but limping along half-dead not likely if the game attracts people. Champions Online survived when City of Heroes fell and DC Online is having issues and likely will survive that games failure. Star Trek Online again is one that is surviving and the company is adding content so they clearly expect to stay in the market to with that game. Just because a game is not wildly successful doesn't mean its not going to be just successful.

TheGlyphstone

You're still not listening. I did not say 'only subscription games are good', or 'F2P' is bad. But when a game that was subscription-based goes F2P, that indicates it wasn't/isn't performing at a level where it can survive off subscriptions, meaning the choice is F2P or shut down entirely. A game forced into that stage is in its twilight, however long it manages to last afterwards. WoW is no exception, which is where this whole thing started...if it finally goes F2P, that'll be a sign it has reached its dying time. The road to success in modern MMOs is F2P right out of the gate paired with a premium/cash shop.

RubySlippers

Will they die or just the model change to a stable income base that is the issue.

A game going along year after year with a core player base and new players coming and some going is a stable model and stable in business is usually good. It might gain momentum to and get more people but slower over time. Now if the game never adds or improves content it can be an issue then but if they are working on the game its a good sign to me as a player its going to stay. I would not say its a twilight of a game just adapting to the marketplace to stay competative.

WoW IMHO is losing out only due to trying to holding onto its subscription model they would be better off going to a f2p with store model with less privileges but be more open to long term play and also the subscriptions for serious players. If they fail now its going to be a failure to adapt to business as it is and they have competition it is going to impact the game at some point more and more.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on February 17, 2013, 08:54:53 AM
You're still not listening. I did not say 'only subscription games are good', or 'F2P' is bad. But when a game that was subscription-based goes F2P, that indicates it wasn't/isn't performing at a level where it can survive off subscriptions, meaning the choice is F2P or shut down entirely.

Or that those running it figure in todays market they can make more by changing it to a dual mode system.

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on February 17, 2013, 08:54:53 AM
The road to success in modern MMOs is F2P right out of the gate paired with a premium/cash shop.

It does seem that way at the moment. But given how long an MMO takes to make (several years? more?), when the current ones you mentioned were envisioned, subscription models were the name of the game. Changing the game model while making it is likely to add who knows how long to the release date, and there's always going to be the push to get the game onto the market.

Is it better to get it going and add stuff in, change stuff, over coming months, or delay it by those months in order to add more in, or change the format? At least if it is released, you have income coming in for it, even if it isn't perfect. And let's face it, no MMO is ever going to satisfy everyone.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Teo Torriatte

I'd like to mention another game I found recently... its called Perspective. It's a really cool combination of a first person puzzler and 2d platformer, where you  move around the 3d levels to line up platforms based exactly how you see them from your point of view.

Only caveat is that it requires Directx11, which some comps won't run. But for those that can, it's worth checking out if you like puzzle games with a bit of a twist to them.

http://seewithperspective.com/