News:

Main Menu

Free to play PC Games

Started by Frelance, October 15, 2011, 11:39:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frelance

Hey I am going to start listing free to play PC games and a link for them. I am just listing these to spread work about them and hope others enjoy them as well. If you know of some other good free to play games post a link here! I am always looking for new games to try.

List:
-FreeOrion which is a galactic civilization building game.

-0 A.D. the game is a historic RTS game. It is being developed by a team that worked on Age of Empire mods. 0 A.D. originally started as a mod for AoE but the team has ended up making it its own game entirely.

- Dwarf Fortress is a game where you control a few dwarfs that are starting a new fortress. It can take some getting used to and I suggest that anyone who wants to play this game downloads the LazyNoodPack since it will make the game easier to interpret. Also watch a tutorial for it.
Evolution is an arms race

Oniya

I'm a bit of an addict to http://www.armorgames.com and http://www.miniclip.com/games/en

Both sites have lots of variety, from action to puzzles.  Armor can get a little gritty, to the PG-13 level, while Miniclip is pretty much all ages.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

DarklingAlice

I once again will chime in to mention the vastly under appreciated genre known as the rogue-like. These games, which are often indie-developed and completely freely distributed, tend to represent a philosophy of game design almost completely lost in the modern milieu. So they may not be for everyone, but if you are the type of person who likes extreme difficulty, choice, and consequences in your games I can't recommend them enough.

Head over to the rogue basin and get yourself hooked up!
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong.

Oniya

I think I downloaded the original Rogue at one point.  Hail Rodney!
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Lunaris

City of Heroes has gone Free to Play! http://na.cityofheroes.com/en/index.php (Or uh...Premium, if you're a returning player.)

meikle

my roguelike of choice is Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup.

I have had good experiences with City of Heroes, but free to play is so scary to me. :(
Kiss your lover with that filthy mouth, you fuckin' monster.

O and O and Discord
A and A

Anyalyss

Aww I'm happy to see that FreeOrion is still alive, slowly but, still moving, I hope they get a few more volunteers to work on it! I loved Master of Orion 2, I always played with the Elerians :-)

Also I'm pretty impressed about 0AD and it looks like they're almost done (or at least it looks like! it looks really good and really professional).

Anyway, two more games :-)

Alien Swarm (Valve, Free to play on Steam)

League of Legends, or LoL if you prefer Okay you can pay for stuff in this one, but you don't have to :P
O&O's    A&A's

Brandon

Quote from: Lunaris on October 16, 2011, 03:25:42 PM
City of Heroes has gone Free to Play! http://na.cityofheroes.com/en/index.php (Or uh...Premium, if you're a returning player.)

Hmmm it might be fun to get back on CoH, I havnt played since Warhammer was released. Although Im pretty sure my old super hero group Stryke Force is gone *pouts*

Anyway, there are three games I can recomend having played them at one point in time (and sometimes still play)

The first is Echo Bazaar. EB is a game in which I find myself hard pressed to explain its premise or style of play. Really you just need to check it out and come to your own conclusions

The second is Dungeon fighter. Think streets of rage as an MMO. You are welcome!

The third is a game I learned of just recently called Stellar Impact. Think of it as a naval style DOTA game only set in a science fiction world where you fly space ships.

There are also two honorable mentions I need to toss out there. One of league of legends, which a lot of people on Elliquiy play and the other is for Super Crate box. Theres also a free to play MMOFPS/3PS game coming out in the near futur called firefall, I suggest you check it out.
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Oreo

One of my all time favorites is Everlong. You might need to apply the font patch or the letters can be blocky.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

HairyHeretic

There are quite a few MMOs have gone free to play, or are in the process of it
Age of Conan
Lord of the Rings Online
Dungeons and Dragons Online
City of Heros
World of Tanks
Star Trek Online
Champions Online
DC Universe Online
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Anyalyss

Everquest 2 has a free to play option too (called EQ2X), although in my opinion it sucks a lot *giggles*
O&O's    A&A's

Frelance

Dam, I didn't think I would get this much of a response. Thank you for everything and I am definitely going to look into a bunch of theses games.

I am currently spending a lot of time in 0 A.D. and FreeOrion at the moment so I will be focusing on those games if any in my posts on this thread.
Evolution is an arms race

Hemingway

I have a game to add to the pile, if you like turn-based strategy games:

Battle for Wesnoth. It's sort of reminiscent of a medieval fantasy version of Battle Isle, or Advance Wars, or what have you, but with roleplaying elements thrown in. Units level up and through the campaigns ( of which there are many, some of which are really long ), they can carry over from battle to battle. It's also a very accessible game. Battle for Wesnoth is just a great game, really. Better than a lot of commercial games.

ThePrince

World of Tanks!

Its a WWII Tank Sim/RPG, the controls are more arcade then realistic so its easy to pick up and play. Its a MMO pvp type kind of game, but its realy polished for a free to play game, personally I enjoy the sounds the most. It really feels like I am driving a rumbling Panzer across Europe! The pay model is set up so that you will get a good bit of fun without having to feel like you will need to pay for it.

I highly recommend it!
RP Request Thread
O/O's
I am what I am. I am my own special creation.
So come take a look, Give me the hook or the ovation.
It's my world that I want to have a little pride in.
It's my world and it's not a place I have to hide in.
Life ain't worth a dam till you can say I am what I am.

InariShiftskin

Age of Empires Online is free to play as well.

Skynet

Quote from: Oniya on October 16, 2011, 12:43:00 PM
Both sites have lots of variety, from action to puzzles.  Armor can get a little gritty, to the PG-13 level, while Miniclip is pretty much all ages.

I absolutely love armorgames!

I used to check out NewGrounds a lot in the past as well.

World of Warcraft is now free, but only up to Level 20.  You have to pay if you want to get higher.

fancyfictions

Through Steam... Team Fortress 2 and Sanctum are both free to play.

I, like a few others in this thread, recommend City of Heroes (even though I play on the Villain side more), Lord of the Rings Online and Dungeons and Dragons Online.

I played Star Trek Online but didn't like it very much.
Fancy's Fancies|

“Fiction is life with the dull bits left out”- Clive James

RubySlippers

Quote from: ThePrince on October 17, 2011, 07:59:54 PM
World of Tanks!

Its a WWII Tank Sim/RPG, the controls are more arcade then realistic so its easy to pick up and play. Its a MMO pvp type kind of game, but its realy polished for a free to play game, personally I enjoy the sounds the most. It really feels like I am driving a rumbling Panzer across Europe! The pay model is set up so that you will get a good bit of fun without having to feel like you will need to pay for it.

I highly recommend it!

And they put out a $30 value, $19.99 retail box set which is good for new players you get -> one weeks premium membership, 1800 gold, 1,050,000 credits (silver to Tankers) and a T2 Light Tank Premium with a Extra Garage Slot.

They are adding French Tanks by the end of the year, sooner I hope.

Jacqueline

I tried the tanks game for a bit but it didn't work well on my laptop, some maps run just fine on the lowest settings but the maps with lots of buildings are nearly unplayable.

Shjade

Recently been playing a bit of Iron Grip: Marauders, an online browser-run turn-based strategy game. Gets pretty slow-paced around level 6 if you're not spending money on the game (which I'm not), but if you're not concerned about GRR POWERLEVELING your way through the game it's pretty good for the occasional battle here and there.

Caution: the AI totally has maphax and will artillery-blast you in places where it shouldn't be able to see you. :|
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Jacqueline

I just remembered one, it's called Pirates of the Burning Sea. It doesn't have super graphics but it's not too bad and ship vs ship combat is pretty fun.

fireflights

I have taken the oath of the Drake

Livin in MD now.

Not taking anymore one on ones but ones already discussed with the partners.

Jacqueline

Lineage 2 is going to be f2p before the end of this year, I'm sooo going to check out my old little sorcerer when this happens, back then it was so very painful to level up but now it seems that it's much easier.

Not a Devil

Bloodline Champions has caught my interest lately. It's a nice pure pvp game (even though I hate the art, but that's my personal preference), good for when you want to jump into a quick game of bash someone's face in to relieve stress, although Team Fortress 2 is my #1 choice when I want to set things on fire. =P

Quote from: Skynet on October 29, 2011, 02:44:51 PM
World of Warcraft is now free, but only up to Level 20.  You have to pay if you want to get higher.
Don't even try, it's like crack. Your social life gets rolled up into a wad of cash and jumps straight into Blizzard's pocket... (or at least it used to, back when I played)

fancyfictions

As if i'm not addicted to (and playing) enough games. DC Universe Online is now Free to Play on PC. I just downloaded the game tonight and will probably start playing this one soon as well.
Fancy's Fancies|

“Fiction is life with the dull bits left out”- Clive James