Orc Warlords of Faerun (3.5 heavily houseruled DnD player interest check)

Started by Zaer Darkwail, June 12, 2015, 01:47:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zaer Darkwail

Well, theory is that Re would had survived his wounds but Set poisoned him (and then murdered Osiris but Osiris got resurrected). But as mentioned nothing is in canon besides that event is going to happen (perhaps this time Set supports Re and Re remains as chief deity in Mulhorand).

Kolbrandr

Oh, I'm aware from the theory, sure, was just noting that canon styles it's no more than a theory, which always stood out to me. Set's usually pretty good about "oh man, I totally did that". And in Planescape tends to support Ra vs Apep, that kind of thing. It's an odd/funky situation.

Basically I've found that Set's the weirdly interesting LE God, both from his dogma ("be a horrific monstrosity to everyone outside the faith. Inside the faith, you're all brothers and crap!") to his cosmological actions.

PaleEnchantress

Lots of fun things to comment on! I'll start with saying how I like how Osiris' earthly body inadvertently is shaping up to have qualities that are inverse parallels to Set's. His "Magic is Rare" drawback is pretty much an inverse relationship with Sets "Inheritance" perk. Fortifications makes Osiris' base of operations hard to attack by keeping the population safe. Set's base of operations is hard to assault because the Hathran-esque class features make her incredibly powerful personally within her own city and allow her to exploit her population for increased power. Osiris radiates light that poisons evil and harms the undead. Set's dark beauty (by virtue of being a medusa) turns the living to stone.  To a less direct extend Osiris free and artisan society contrasts Set's totalitarian regime where everyone is micromanaged and togetherness is enforced with mind control.

On a different topic, looking for a character image. All the really good Medusa picts don't look like each other so whatever I pick will be the only one. Except this one here which is universal and thematic.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

As far as the God Queen's look though I've found a few options.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img

Summer

Quote from: PaleEnchantress on July 16, 2015, 11:04:36 AM
Lots of fun things to comment on! I'll start with saying how I like how Osiris' earthly body inadvertently is shaping up to have qualities that are inverse parallels to Set's.

Definitely, though this kind of relationship was somewhat mirrored even in canon. Osiris has an entire order of Paladins / Rangers created from Set's victims that specifically go out of their way to curb Set's activities.

Osiris and Set tend not to get along whatsoever, and it's really only by virtue of them both being heavily Lawful and under the command of Re that things don't get too out of hand. I mean, as soon as the chain of command (Re) died, what happened? Set went ahead and killed Osiris. Brotherly love and all that. :p

None of that has happened yet, so it's not like Osiris really has desire for vengeance or anything, but there's a good reason why I said that my character wouldn't know whether to thank the orcs or go out of his way to save one of Set's high-ranking officials. Enmity weighing against the theoretical "good" and pride of Mulhorand. Chances are they would be slow to act unless their hand was forced~ :p

It's lovely to think about it, and I've nearly finished my God King; just need to develop his spell list.

14 Unarmed Sword Sage | 10 Favored Soul / 4 Contemplative

Rather sizable guy that functions like a super-charged monk, so to speak. Fights on the personal level while buffing on the battlefield-scale.

Did I mention it's unlikely he'll wear a shirt even on the battlefield (especially since he can't wear armor)? Maybe a semi-ornate shendyt (Egyptian-style skirt-thing), and that'd probably be it. It'll be glorious.
My on's and off's

Currently refraining from accepting roleplay partners while I consolidate/prepare for some that are starting up. I do not want to accidentally neglect a roleplay for being overzealous.

Zaer Darkwail

When speak of pics; the first, third and last one are good. First one fits perfectly for Set priestess (longer snakes and their black and she's seductive and wears apparently snake skin garment). Third is sort of more hypnotizing (the eyes do it) and last one fits perfectly for 'sadistic beautiful bitch of darkness leading a cult' theme :P. But if have to pick one, I would pick last one (as it may be possible she has elven heritage; as medusas do not have male members of their species so they procreate through raping their victims and Set is only god in Mulhorand which allows non-mulans into their ranks).

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on July 16, 2015, 11:35:26 AM
When speak of pics; the first, third and last one are good. First one fits perfectly for Set priestess (longer snakes and their black and she's seductive and wears apparently snake skin garment). Third is sort of more hypnotizing (the eyes do it) and last one fits perfectly for 'sadistic beautiful bitch of darkness leading a cult' theme :P. But if have to pick one, I would pick last one (as it may be possible she has elven heritage; as medusas do not have male members of their species so they procreate through raping their victims and Set is only god in Mulhorand which allows non-mulans into their ranks).

Thanks for the suggestions Zaer. I have to add though Medusa gender seems dependent on edition. Some have a bald male that lacks a stony gaze and when mating with a medusa actually produces human females (who die quickly)  or in very rare cases another maedar (the bald male). 3rd edition/3.5  Had actual males of the species who were also very rare but identical to the females. I can name at least 3 canonical appearances of snake haired, stone gazed, attractive male members of the Medusa species. I also remember an even more rare male Marilith in one faerun book series. - Of course it never said how Medusa reproduce in 3rd/3.5 they probably still rape captive humanoid males and maybe 1 in 100,000 births is a male medusa.

Zaer Darkwail

Well, I think male medusas are more a rare mutation :P. Overall medusas reproduce through raping other humanoids (when they so desire, they have mostly little to no interest on breeding mostly but there can be exceptions).

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on July 16, 2015, 01:32:50 PM
Well, I think male medusas are more a rare mutation :P. Overall medusas reproduce through raping other humanoids (when they so desire, they have mostly little to no interest on breeding mostly but there can be exceptions).

Rawr!

Since My Son will be a super important character in my plots, I wonder who or what fathered him. I'll wait to decide that until he has a player and I can decide with them. After all said players race choice would make a difference there. Also Said Son is the only one out of dozens, maybe even hundreds who showed no flaw after decades of grueling tests. All others were killed. Each "test" could have had a different father. WHo knows?

Muse

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: Muse on July 16, 2015, 04:04:16 PM
  Two orc warlords if we didn't loose Kunoichi?

Actually I thought we had lost you, nice to know that isnt the case.

Edit: Have to decide which version of Jerion to use. Fiend of Possession, Artificier, or Bard are the basic archetypes.

HopeFox

Those are some seriously hot medusa pictures. And now I'm thinking that a naked Lugash in the throes of orgasm would make for an extremely handsome statue...
If you're such an iconoclast, where were you when we trashed Constantinople?

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: HopeFox on July 16, 2015, 04:31:31 PM
Those are some seriously hot medusa pictures. And now I'm thinking that a naked Lugash in the throes of orgasm would make for an extremely handsome statue...

Ive thought of that myself <3

Set's Mostly Finished character Sheet

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=275775

Kunoichi

Muse

Excellent. Kunoichi is still here!

I confess I've kinda kept a low profile because I don't want to get a hard time for not being able to find a cleric prc or want a ranger one.  I h 7ess my 3.5 muscles have gotten flabby. Sweat drop. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: Muse on July 16, 2015, 11:40:51 PM
I confess I've kinda kept a low profile because I don't want to get a hard time for not being able to find a cleric prc or want a ranger one.  I h 7ess my 3.5 muscles have gotten flabby. Sweat drop.

Hell talk to us about it, we might remember something you done, and even if not its fun to discuss builds. I particularly enjoy working the optimization aspects into the character. Like how my one level dip into shadow adept isn't me just going "3 feats free yaaaay". It highlights Sets domain in evil magic and shows a preference or subversion over brute force.  But yes, feel free to converse about it with us.

Summer

No need to feel shy. I get a great deal of enjoyment in character creation (though items make me sweat a bit), and I've gone through so many splatbooks and materials that if you said what you wanted I could probably point you in several potential directions.
My on's and off's

Currently refraining from accepting roleplay partners while I consolidate/prepare for some that are starting up. I do not want to accidentally neglect a roleplay for being overzealous.

Muse

*Shrugs*  If someone can sugest a cleric prestige class for a cleric of grumsh I'm open. 

Summer

Quote from: Muse on July 17, 2015, 12:37:43 AM
  *Shrugs*  If someone can sugest a cleric prestige class for a cleric of grumsh I'm open.

Hmmm...
Warpriest?
Ordained Champion? (Removing religious requirements)
Pious Templar?

Those are the ones that come to mind, but I don't know what kind of cleric / character you want to make :p
My on's and off's

PaleEnchantress

Hospitalar stripped of the flavor prereqs fits rather well too. A lot of the benefits of Warpriest with less caster level loss.

Muse

Ordained Champion, Pious Templare, Hospitalar?  Where do I find these?  :) 

Gestalting often doesn't lend itself so much to prestige classes.  But cleric benefits a lot from them, especialy if there's one ot fit their faith.  And I haven't really found a cleric PRC for Grumsh. 

War priest would fit if he weren't gestalt. 

Summer

Pious Templar and Hospitaler is in Complete Divine, along with Warpriest.

Ordained Champion is in Complete Champion.

It's also worth mentioning that you don't *have* to take a Prestige Class, you know. Just going <whatever>/Full-on Cleric is not necessarily a bad way to do things, especially if you're scratching your head trying to figure out what kind of prestige class you want to take.

Mild Synopsis:

Hospitaler trades out a few divine spellcasting levels for feat progression like a warrior, and also gains "Lay on Hands" which is a neat little pool of healing to be distributed out without consuming spell slots. Typically has mounted combat entry requirements.

Pious Templar is martial-oriented, as well, and has access to things like Damage Reduction and Mettle (successful fort/reflex/will saves remove all effects instead of halving) but has steeper requirements (True Believer and Weapon Focus in the deitiy's preferred weapon).

Ordained Champion puts you very heavily into the War domain, giving it to you as a bonus Domain. You can also sacrifice up to two domain powers (except from War) in order to take up feats in their place. Ordained Champion levels also stack for the purposes of determining your level for things like turn / rebuke undead and level-dependent domain powers. You lose the ability to spontaneously cast cure / inflict wounds, and instead gain the ability to spontaneously cast war domain spells of equal or lower level by sacrificing a prepared spell...

And Ordained Champion only has five levels.

Honestly? Ordained Champion looks badass. If you want to be super war-oriented, going a martial class/Eye of Gruumsh on one tree and Ordained Champion on the other + Pious Templar/Hospitaler... you'd be pretty damn scary, I'd say.
My on's and off's

ererruz

From optimization perspective: You should definitely take Pious Templar to get Mettle (Evasion for Fortitude saves) -- as it doesn't progress spellcasting, you should take it on your Ranger path. Take either one level (for Mettle) or three (for free Weapon Specialization). Take a couple of Ordained Champion levels for an awesome Smite which uses your Rebuke attempts. I'd suggest taking Holy Warrior feat since it gives you +1 to hit and damage/spell level of the highest War domain spell you can cast -- so with your War spontaneity as long as you had one high level slot available, you'd be getting +5 or +6 to hit and damage. At all times.

Actually, if you do go with Ordained Champion, be sure to be a Cloistered Cleric -- extra skill points and an additional domain whose power you can sacrifice to get a free feat (!!!). You lose nothing in this case as your BAB is governed by your ranger side anyway!

You might also want to look at Prestige Paladin -- and take Paladin of Slaughter (CE) variant. That'd give you access to paladin spells, auras and maybe even a mount. Be sure to take the Battle Blessing feat -- it'll let you cast all the spells on the paladin list as swift actions -- which is something you really want and need considering you're a melee warrior so anything that lets you full-attack AND cast in the same round is gold.

If you really want to emulate Gruumsh, you could take Eye of Gruumsh -- it doesn't progress spellcasting, so take it on your ranger side of the gestalt. I'd stop at level 5 though as it's when it gets Blindsight.

I'd go with Ranger/Eye of Gruumsh/Pious Templar // Cleric/Prestige Paladin of Slaughter/Ordained Champion on the other side. Pious Templar, Eye of Gruumsh and Ordained Champion work well together in that they all require you to take Weapon Focus -- which you'll get for free by being a Cleric with War domain.

(Be weary NOT to lose more than 1 cleric spellcasting level though as that'd put you a whole spell level down and in 99% higher level spells access trumps pretty much anything else. I mean, there are some cases where it's not true, but as I said, 99%.)

You could even take Bone Knight if you're fine with being somehow connected to necromantic forces -- it's one of the most powerful cleric PrCs in that it gives you a BUNCHLOAD of immunities as you level up.

You could also take one level of Lion Totem Barbarian on the ranger side to get Pounce -- being able to use all your melee full attacks on charge is probably the best ability ever for a melee warrior.

So, keeping all that in mind if I were you, I'd go with: Lion Totem Barbarian 1/Ranger X/Pious Templar 1 (or 3)/Eye of Gruumsh X // Cleric 4/Ordained Champion 3 (to not lose the second spellcaster level; or 5 if you're fine with losing those 6th level spells, but the 5th level abilities are meh! 4th is quite OK)/Prestige Paladin of Slaughter 1 (again, same; or 2 if you are fine with losing those 6th levels spells...)/something else X/Contemplative 1 (one extra domain in exchange for... nothing? yes, please)

Zaer Darkwail

Eye of Gruumsh would fit for ranger side, or take even Reaper and just change deity associated to Gruumsh son (which is all about brute strength and slaughter :P). Both PrC's in Complete Warrior.

I allow reflavor Ordained Champion for Gruumsh, the PrC fits to any war domain deity really. Pious Templar is very good class to take (dip in but I myself take entire 10 levels as it gives paladin spellcasting rapidly and several bonus feats and DR x/-). Also with Warpriest I allow that even as evil priest the capstone ability boosts living than undead (it all matters is your god undead related or not). Boneknight could work with Gruumsh deity related to death domain (also involve heavily caverns and what not).

I am bit leery on prestige rangers/paladins in game where there are normal rangers, but okay otherwise. Also note clerics can get pool of healing (complete champion ACF, 7th level as cleric needed and sacrifice permanently 4th level spell slot to able heal cleric level x wisdom mod amount per day as with healing hands).

Muse

Looking over those, none of them really fit.  Thanks, I'll just stick with my current class build. 

That said, can anyone sugest a feat from Book of ERotic Fantasy that will grnat acess to Perform: Sexual Technqiues? 

Summer

Quote from: Muse on July 17, 2015, 04:00:11 AM
Looking over those, none of them really fit.  Thanks, I'll just stick with my current class build. 

That said, can anyone sugest a feat from Book of ERotic Fantasy that will grnat acess to Perform: Sexual Technqiues?

Pleasing Physique.
You can use your Constitution modifier instead of your Charisma, and Perform (Sexual) is always a class skill for you.

Or

Sexual Training.
+2 Bonus on constitution checks to sustain sex, always a class skill as well.
My on's and off's