What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

Quote from: HairyHeretic on May 23, 2015, 05:50:20 AM
So, with the counting still going, it's looking like Ireland is currently voting about 3:1 in favour of gay marriage. Full results won't be in til probably later this evening, but right now it seems very much decided.

Some big names are showing support ;D

(Although it could be Odin and all heading down Bifrost to weigh in.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

kylie

It looks like they are calling it a definite Yes!

Guardian blog

[13:07]

With 39 constituencies having now declared, the Yes vote is 62.3% and No 37.7%. The number of Yes votes is 1,128,209, with 682,932 votes for No.

The three constituencies still to declare are Cork North West, Cork South West and Cork East.

Formless

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Formless on May 23, 2015, 12:45:16 PM
ISIS takes responsibility for a suicide attack in a mosque in Saudi Arabia

Sure ... they claim to be Islamists and they bomb a mosque.

Hopefully this will be a big blow to their recruitment rates as people see them for the liars and hypocrites that they are.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Lustful Bride on May 23, 2015, 12:49:02 PM
Hopefully this will be a big blow to their recruitment rates as people see them for the liars and hypocrites that they are.

Hopefully yes, realistically no. Assuming it's not just a splinter group that the 'real' IS denounces, the people who join IS in the first place are going to be the type easily capable of self-delusion. They are 'true' islamists, thus anyone who doesn't adhere to their version of the faith is 'false' and fair game for death. The people who recognize this as hypocrisy are too smart to join IS in the first place.

Oniya

This is the equivalent of the Westboros (small splinter group that should in no way reflect the religion they claim to be) bombing a Catholic church (Shia Islam is the second largest denomination of Islam).  Hopefully, this will cause church leaders to redouble their criticism of IS, which would in turn set the congregations more firmly against IS, which would in turn make it more difficult for IS to gain sympathy.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Warlock

Quote from: Formless on May 23, 2015, 12:45:16 PM
ISIS takes responsibility for a suicide attack in a mosque in Saudi Arabia

Sure ... they claim to be Islamists and they bomb a mosque.

A Shi'ite mosque, a very key distinction. They're purging what they see to be a corrupt version of the muslim faith, which according to them are most versions (though Shi'its are particularly horrible in their minds). Isis believe themselves to be the One True Scotsman so to speak.

gaggedLouise

Apparently Sweden and Russia are on top contesting the Eurovision title (and hosting the contest next year) - I have to admit not even having heard our own entry, but the thought of Russia winning at this point is very interesting (and also shows a nice ability to discern between music and international politics)  :D

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Dashenka

And Sweden won...

Thank fuck for that...

and congratulations :)
Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.

gaggedLouise

With Russia as a valiant silver medalist, kind of.  :D

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Warlock

Quote from: Dashenka on May 23, 2015, 05:48:05 PM
And Sweden won...

Thank fuck for that...

We'll have to host it again? Fuck....

*Grumble* Ehhh, thank you I suppose.

Dashenka

It was that, or Russia.

Now I'm all for Russia hosting it again but you can imagine how that would have gone down in the rest of Europe. Knowing Putin, he'd host it in Yalta or Sevastopol :D

So yeah, Sweden's a much better choice.. :)

Dice

Quote from: Dashenka on May 23, 2015, 05:48:05 PM
And Sweden won...

Thank fuck for that...

We got 5th... and I still can not figure why the hell we were there.

Mikem

Quote from: gaggedLouise on May 23, 2015, 05:24:26 PM
Apparently Sweden and Russia are on top contesting the Eurovision title (and hosting the contest next year) - I have to admit not even having heard our own entry, but the thought of Russia winning at this point is very interesting (and also shows a nice ability to discern between music and international politics)  :D

Man, Eurovision gets absolutely no publicity across the pond. Missed the whole thing apparently without even a single mention on T.V.

And speaking of Europe. I just learned the King of Norway himself gave the commencement speech at Pacific Lutheran University, here in Washington state. Damn Norway. He also had lunch in Seattle with the Governor.
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. So why not take the scenic route?"

My Ons & Offs

Aethereal

QuoteMan, Eurovision gets absolutely no publicity across the pond. Missed the whole thing apparently without even a single mention on T.V.
Don't worry, you can completely forget that it exists even when you live on the right side of the pond as long as you're not into watching TV. (I actually visited Austria for some weeks a bit before it began so I saw all the banners everywhere ... but then I went back to my own country, got caught up in duties, and literally forgot all about it until just about yesterday.)

Kythia

Deamonbane

*lives across the pond, has no idea what Eurovision is* Gonna google it...
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Dashenka

http://wot.motortrend.com/1505_vp_joe_biden_to_yale_students_corvettes_are_better_than_porsches.html

So.. Joe Biden is an idiot.

Saying a Corvette is better than a Porsche is like saying the Maltese economy is bigger than the American economy. What a silly man.

Oniya

Well, it's definitely like saying a broom closet is better than a linen closet.  You ever tried to pack a dorm room into one of those things?

Warlock

Misunderstod when I first read the headline. Honestly Corvettes are better, they've guns, are armored and have a overall higher capacity for carnage.

Dashenka

Quote from: Warlock on May 24, 2015, 10:44:36 AM
Misunderstod when I first read the headline. Honestly Corvettes are better, they've guns, are armored and have a overall higher capacity for carnage.

Hahaha oh so he IS right after all. I stand corrected :D

Oniya

Nobel Prize-winning mathematician John Nash, the inspiration for 'A Beautiful Mind', was killed in a car crash.

Zillah

Quote from: Dashenka on May 24, 2015, 10:38:10 AM
What a silly man.

That can be said about Joe Biden in regards to a wide variety of topics, sadly. ::)

Cycle

Quote from: Oniya on May 24, 2015, 10:48:31 AM
Nobel Prize-winning mathematician John Nash, the inspiration for 'A Beautiful Mind', was killed in a car crash.

This makes me sad.

Beorning

So... the second round of Polish presidential elections just ended. The exit polls say that the winner is Andrzej Duda of the Law & Justice party.

My personal opinion? I'm so very unhappy...  >:(