WH40000 - what's your opinion?

Started by Beorning, August 09, 2014, 03:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CopperLily

Quote from: TheLaughingOne on August 23, 2018, 08:11:03 AM
So, friend gave me an old tau battle force box from 2001, still with most the bits, and evdn with missing i got a ton of half empty sprues, largely tau fire warriors with breachers and such..

With only few small purchases and what ill be able to build a nice 1000 point army, and just looking over things...

I found the Manta.

Holy. Shit. Fucking. Scary...

Very much "Thats a nice warlord/hierophant titan you got there... be damn shame if.... something happened to it...."

One of my Eldar Crimson Hunters has a kill marking on it for downing one of those :)

TheLaughingOne

heheh, always cool to give models distinctions for things like that, recent game my primaris hellblasters got distinction by taking down guys Doomsday ark in one round, beauty of rolls for me, and horrors for his quantum shielding:3 everybody in squad is getting purity seals and fancy icons for that!!
My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

HairyHeretic

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/warhammer-40000-space-marine

The old Space Marine game is currently free on Humble Bundle, if anyone's interested.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

TheLaughingOne

hehe right now my friend i usually game against is out at the GW HQ. He is like an imperial guard who gets to sit on the Emperors lap on Emperors day AND Sanguinala.
My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

HairyHeretic

If you want to make your friend jealous, I've had a tour of the Studio ;)

Back just before the launch of 3rd ed.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Inkidu

Quote from: HairyHeretic on August 30, 2018, 12:49:18 PM
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/warhammer-40000-space-marine

The old Space Marine game is currently free on Humble Bundle, if anyone's interested.
Hey, that game got me into the setting (the game is far too expensive even used for me to pick it up as I cannot even get enough real-life friends together for a game of D&D).

Before I played that game 40K was a constant source of mocking points for me as the over-designed musings of a bored 13-year-old boy. It's that different when you see it in action.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

CopperLily

Quote from: Inkidu on September 22, 2018, 06:35:32 PM
Before I played that game 40K was a constant source of mocking points for me as the over-designed musings of a bored 13-year-old boy. It's that different when you see it in action.

A huge amount of my fondness for the setting comes from seeing it in motion. The original Dawn of War cinematic, for example.

TheLaughingOne

So... trying to start my second army now. Going with the Tau as friend gave me old battle force set, still on sprue and everything.

Chose Dal'yth sept, like that "always got a cover bonus long as you dont move" ability.
Battalion

HQ:
Cadre Fireblade:
~Shield Drone
~Puretide engram neurochip

Coldstar Commander (Warlord)
~Dynamic Mirror Field
~High-output burst cannon
~Missile pod
~Advanced targeting System
~shield Drone
~Tenacious Survivor Trait

(had planned to use 2 crisis commanders, but someone clued me into rules you can only get one.. Boooo)

Troops:
Breacher Team (5 breachers, 1 Shas'ui)
Kroot carnivores (12)
Fire Warrior Strike Team (4 warriors 1 Shas'ui)
Fire Warrior Strike Team (4 warriors 1 Shas'ui)

Elites:
DX-4 Technical drones (2 drones) (gonna try and kit-bash my own of these together)
XV25 Stealth Battle Suits (2 Shas'ui with Burst Cannon & Adv Target, 1 Shas'vre with Burst Cannon, ATS, Markerlight & Target Lock)

Fast Attack:
Pathfinder Team (8 basic PFs, 1 PF with Railgun, & pulse accelerator drone)
Pathfinder Team (8 basic PFs, 1 PF with ion Rifle & pulse accelerator drone)

Heavy:
Broadside Battle Suits (1 Shas'vre equipped with High Yield Missle pods, Smart Missiles, and ATS)

Transport:
Devil Fish: (2 gun drones and burstcannon)

That makes up my thousand point army... Bit light on drones, especially marker drones cause our whole alternating turns thing... Activating a single drone each turn to mark someone while a squad gets torn to shreds, or end up firing in effectually while drones get nailed. Thus pathfinders, with the added bonus of the rail guns (or ion rifles if those end up working better). Being able to slap down a mass of marker lights all at once is a nice thing.. Their accelerator drones are going to move to back up my Fire Warriors giving them a better range, while the Fireblde travels with them giving them that nice 3rd shot at 18 inches.

At 1500 it starts same as 1000 (i make it a habit to simply build upon lower lists, easier to keep track of)

HQ:
Commander gains Drone Controller

Troops:
Additional Breacher team added (5 warriors, one Shas)

Heavy:
Additional Broadside added to existing Squad (HY & smart missiles, ATS)

Flyers:
DX6 Remora Stealth Drones (2 drones, x2 LB burst cannons each) (working on custom build using Recon Drone dish as base)

Transport:
Additional Devil fish added (gun drones & burst cannon)

Remoras acts as a body guard for my commander, with his special he can advance along with them while still firing effectively, add in his drone control support and they are doing alot better. Pair of breachers lets me spread them on field and in cover to help screen incomings, hopefull up close so can get that close range S6 AP-2 D1 hits. ... Before they get squished. And my broadside gets a new friend to help Macross Missile Massacre the field. With the targeting that means its 8 S7, ap-2, damage D3 hits to spread about.

2000 points is just reinforcing everything,
all troops are maxed out on squad level (breachers are 9 warriors, Shas, and Smart Missile turret, strikes are 11 FWs, Shas, and dumb missiles.

Elites gain a crisis team,
(2 fusion blasters, 2 cycling ion blasters, 2 burst cannons, ATS, Vre gets iridium coat)

Fasts are all upgraded to full

And thats largely it.. First tau group i built. Subject to shifting around after i get them played some. But i "Think" the list looks good.. Any tau players with suggestions or advice..?

My Ons and Offs!

Beorning

Meanwhile, after two years after I gave up on WH40K in favour of Infinity, I actually started working on assembling a GW miniature today. :) Feels a bit weird coming back to those, after all this time I spent on working on Infinity stuff.

It's not from WH40K from, though, but from WFB / AoS: the Skullgrinder (a Khorne warrior). See, after dabbling in Infinity so intensely, I felt I also have a need to assemble / paint / play something from the fantasy genre. So, I got into Dragon Rampart, which is a rules-light, miniature-agnostic game. It allows you to play with any minis you want to - so, I ended up grabbing a lot of fantasy minis, most of it being GW stuff. Yeah, their minis are expensive, but heck... I really couldn't help buying myself a Sylvaneth Treelord and a Skaven Verminlord. As well as Morathi...

Of course, as I plan to use this minis for Dragon Rampant, I came up with my own fluff for them, which is a fun bonus :D

Anyway, just a tangent from me, if you're okay with it...

TheLaughingOne

So...

played necromunda with friend, finally got down to the new one. my prevaling thought...

Fuck the webber and fuck every slack jawed ass hat who takes it.

It seriously is even more dangerous then a plasma cannon or multimelta.

One roll of 4-5 and that character (possibly more as its template) is now out. marked as seriously wounded and no way to get back up.

Where with weapons that can fuck up a tank, you roll to hit, roll to wound, go through their armor save, and then potentially an injury roll (which could just give them a flesh wound or serious wound, instead of... You know, vaporizing them completely. Cause gangers are so tough they can ignore fucking weapons used to crack tanks).

"But my webber cost so much! It should be effective!"

yeah... Your right. thats unfair of me... It should TOTALLY be able to take out my leader who cost 5 times more then your fuck stick of a gun, has an armor save of 3, 4 wounds, a multi-melta and power sword, and half a dozen skills.

My Bad.

My Ons and Offs!

TheLaughingOne

My Ons and Offs!

Arkaniel

My opinion on 40k is that as 8th edition progresses, it gets less and less fun to play. There is no more sense of strategy. First turn first strike determines the whole game. And unless you keep buying the latest codex and latest new hype army until another hype comes out or things get nerfed with a faq, you can’t play against anyone that uses a competitive list if you want to play with models you like and hope to last past turn one.

Andol

Quote from: Arkaniel on October 10, 2018, 01:50:02 PM
My opinion on 40k is that as 8th edition progresses, it gets less and less fun to play. There is no more sense of strategy. First turn first strike determines the whole game. And unless you keep buying the latest codex and latest new hype army until another hype comes out or things get nerfed with a faq, you can’t play against anyone that uses a competitive list if you want to play with models you like and hope to last past turn one.

Yeah I kind of agree of this... sadly...

TheLaughingOne

Quote from: Andol on October 10, 2018, 01:55:43 PM
Yeah I kind of agree of this... sadly...

I never played previous versions... But really get your meaning. We got it fixed some with kinda alternating goes but that adds in alot of issues as well, which of course other guys arent in any interest to fix cause they are in their favor.
"Oh, well, yeah, sur ei get the last half of alternating moves to freely position, its not my fault you have a smaller army cause your guys cost more. And theres no way they could potentially hold actions/move/whatever to react to whats happening on the battle field."

"I dont get why its a problem for your tau with alternating fire things. So what you can only activate one markerlight thing at a time. Sounds like you need to plan better to get those markerlights up before i destroy your attack troops, (or destroy your markerlights if you move attack troops first..)"

And so on and so forth.. For most part its fine, our guys play for fun, making up rather cool narrative stories,

One i had was actually tied to our Only War RPG game, dudes playing his army on table, and in RP we had salvaged a baneblade that had a bunch of plaguebearers die in it, it had been partially cleansed (they lacked proper thing to fully do it, and while not possessed, anybody that was sensative to taint of the warp could sense it) Battle started with it in the middle of the field, having been disabled by my blood angels and Knight. Objective was for our teams to get the tank and hold capture for 3 turns (or wipe each other out). My guys used those turns to plant specialized melta charges to scuttle it completely, His guys were going to get in tech priests to get it running again. Guard command ordered them to push the attack (ordered by the most incompetent lieutenant in the force, who refused to check with command for fear that he would get blamed for the damage to the baneblade. My side was fighting as the Librarian sensed the taint, and without people noticing, the captain had fallen to black rage and... There we go. Ended with him winning... First round advantage, in one go managed to destroy my imperial knight, librarian dreadnought, and several squads. (he had a ton of leman russ annihilators/conqours?) From there it was a slaugh to try and keep up but eventually i was tabled out. End narrative was my few remaining troops surrendered upon making contact with their command, who made contact with the guard. Guardsmen were given honors for their battle ability and situation was explained, and Angels after reclaiming geneseed helped fully cleanse the baneblade of taint. There was some resentment left, they lost many brothers, and an imperial knight in pledge to them was seriously damaged, And maybe... If they ever come out with a fucking book, the inquisition will step in to investigate them a bit mroe carefully or something...

But admitedly im losing interest in mini battles and wishing more for actual RPG stuff. We have had a ton of cool little battle stories that would have been great story lines..

but im just getting burned out of the excessive competitiveness and bullshit thats coming with the table top game.

My Ons and Offs!

CopperLily

Yeah, I haven’t had much fun with it recently, and honestly, I feel very little satisfaction even when I win. A lot more of my games are coming down to “line up and roll dice”.

TheLaughingOne

... Wow.

So friend is a supporter of spiky bits, and recently saw something talking about proof of squats coming back in the title,

"Is that a squat? GW drops big reveals for blackstone fortress"

Cept it says nothign bout squats from what i understand, just some point list cost stuff. Friend is big into old school 40k, like, rogue trader era 40k, and loves the squats (he still has an army stashed somewhere..).. And feels kinda mislead by a clickbait title like that which has nothing to do with squats, so calls it out. As well as a bunch of other people... So Spiky bits pulls the article.

And reposts it a bit later without the comments of people calling it clickbait.

Each time he and others point out its clickbait until... They are all booted from the facebook group. They are patreon followers and donators who back spiky bits stuff. He even has screen shots of him talking with the owner who just kinda tells him "Tough Luck. Fuck off."

So... Yeah. my confidence in spiky bits has gone down...
My Ons and Offs!

CopperLily

Click Bait?

In My Spiky Bits?

Seriously, that site is basically nothing but clickbait and trying to spin multiple ad-covered posts out of GW announcing their new product will come in a box.

TheLaughingOne

Yyeeaahh... Fair. Though his issue is more the bullshit of deleting it and reposting to wipe negative comments and all. And evidently they are quite a bit behind with their patreon promises, he is a 100 backer and they are suppose to send him a big box of things, but evidently few people have gotten them...
My Ons and Offs!

TheLaughingOne

SO.

I have come to the realization of a need.

Take dwarf fortress.

BUT. Reskin it for 40k.

You have insane nobles making stupid and insane rules, slowly becoming more and more corrupt and insane.
the struggle of trying to keep your people fed while they are hair trigger ready to go berserk and open all the air vents gassing the city with the planets now Totally toxic atmosphere
Artisans getting insane inspirations, burying a pick ax in someones head and using their bones and skin to make a designer cereal bowl of such high quality EVERYBODY HAS TO HAVE IT
the indiginous life is more dangerous then playing russian roulette with a browning M2
The threat of mining to deep and unleashing unspeakable horrors on the population.
The ever looming unrealistic tithes being demanded by the departmento manufactorium....

My Ons and Offs!

greenknight

Quote from: TheLaughingOne on December 10, 2018, 05:23:57 PM
SO.

I have come to the realization of a need.

Take dwarf fortress.

BUT. Reskin it for 40k.

You have insane nobles making stupid and insane rules, slowly becoming more and more corrupt and insane.
the struggle of trying to keep your people fed while they are hair trigger ready to go berserk and open all the air vents gassing the city with the planets now Totally toxic atmosphere
Artisans getting insane inspirations, burying a pick ax in someones head and using their bones and skin to make a designer cereal bowl of such high quality EVERYBODY HAS TO HAVE IT
the indiginous life is more dangerous then playing russian roulette with a browning M2
The threat of mining to deep and unleashing unspeakable horrors on the population.
The ever looming unrealistic tithes being demanded by the departmento manufactorium....
So, you described Necromunda, please continue....

;)
When you bang your head against the wall, you don't get the answer, you get a headache.

O/O: https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=46150

TheLaughingOne

Exactly the inspiration! Cept rather then gang wars (which are a constant nuisance) your managing the hive much like in dwarf fortress!
My Ons and Offs!

deathspell

God I wish I had the money to get involved.
The darkness had arranged itself into something that resembled intent.

CopperLily

Quote from: deathspell on December 17, 2018, 04:43:13 PM
God I wish I had the money to get involved.

Kill Team is really good for getting a taste.

Sarakins

I'm a huge fan of the books, lore and video games... But I've never actually played it, nor have I really felt the want to do so.

I'd love to hear what folk's favourite 40k books are and if there are any gems I've missed! I'll say that my all time favourites are probably the Eisenhorn & Ravenor trilogies.