News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Xbox One Vs PS4 - Next Gen gaming

Started by Moraline, May 21, 2013, 03:35:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oreo

:P I actually meant a review/comparison of the two in respect to what they are offering, not how they work at home. This thread is interesting, but not everyone might find it. An article would be much more fun than a link to go look at the Xbox One vs PS4 thread.

I broke down today and got a back up system for both, so I don't have to worry about getting the PS4 until next year.
360 & PS3

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Moraline on June 13, 2013, 08:13:09 AM
Yes. Sony pretty much beat MS up and took their lunch money, girlfriend, and homework. It looks pretty bad for MS at this point.

Here's a handy list:

Note:
PS+ is cheaper then Xbox Gold
PS+ is going to give away 4 free games a month to it's subscribers
Xbox Gold is giving away 2 free games a month to it's subscribers
(Obviously quality of free game will play a major factor but Sony announced they were giving away a couple of their major titles)
~ http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/06/03/playstation-plus-in-june-five-free-games

PS4 is planning to give Ps+ subs a Ps4 game every month.  Xbox gold will only give a game up to the release of Xbox the last but it does start in July.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Moraline

I was watching some IGN discussions today and they advised that PS4 has clarified the "used games" thing a bit. They are saying that DRM will still be up to individual publishers - This means that theoretically you'll have to pay twice to buy a used game and play it.

I don't think the PS4 used game policy is going to be much better then the XBOne. I'm disappointed again.

It sounds like they(Sony) are just trying to shift the blame for DRM stuff onto publishers and absolve themselves of any responsibility for it.

Quote from: Jude on June 13, 2013, 12:52:33 PM
For the record, you can build a gaming PC that will play everything for years to come just fine. I paid roughly $600 for mine 2 1/2 years ago now and I haven't encountered anything I can't run. To be fair, there's a lot I can't max out (and that will continue to be the case), but things will be perfectly playable for me for a few more years. If I'd been more cautious/knowledgeable at the time, I could've shaved another 100 bucks off of that easily too. And the price difference between PC & Console is easily absorbed by cheaper games given how many bundles/sales occur that you just wouldn't see on the console side.

If there's demand, I can do a build off of newegg in a separate thread to give people an idea of how much it would cost to build a decent gaming PC setup today. I'm gonna guess around ~$600 if you already own a TV/monitor you can use with it.
I would like to see that. I have one stipulation, the set up has to be better then a pre-built one (Ex: IbuyPower or Cyberpower). If you can't build a gaming rig for less then they can make it then there isn't much point in doing it (you just end up paying for the privilege to put it together yourself and if you're not a tech then you have to find someone to do it for you.)

I get where you're coming from on building a decent rig for cheap but as I stated in my post earlier - it's rarely worth it. Unless you purchase parts patiently over a time period and know how to put it together yourself.

If all a person wants is a decent gaming rig there here's one right now that will play most games on medium settings and another for slightly more that will run most games on Max Settings:
$560 Medium-Low Range Gaming PC / Pre-Built
$560 Canadian(should be same price in USD)
((For $616 there's a similar one with a 6 core processor))
iBUYPOWER Gamer Power NE615FX Desktop PC
AMD FX-Series FX-4100(3.6GHz)
8GB DDR3
1TB HDD Capacity
AMD Radeon HD 7750 1GB
Windows 8   
~ http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227437

$629 Max - High Range Gaming PC / Pre-built

$629 Canadian(should be same price in USD)
iBUYPOWER Gamer NE630x Desktop PC
AMD FX-Series FX-6300(3.50GHz)
8GB DDR3
1TB HDD Capacity
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 650 1GB
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
~ http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227476
There not perfect systems but anyone would be hard pressed to build the same or better for the price.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Moraline on June 13, 2013, 04:03:10 PM
I was watching some IGN discussions today and they advised that PS4 has clarified the "used games" thing a bit. They are saying that DRM will still be up to individual publishers - This means that theoretically you'll have to pay twice to buy a used game and play it.

I don't think the PS4 used game policy is going to be much better then the XBOne. I'm disappointed again.

It sounds like they(Sony) are just trying to shift the blame for DRM stuff onto publishers and absolve themselves of any responsibility for it.

Major difference is that Sony will not be charging for First Party titles.

And really, Mora that 'Policy' has been the same one they all had last gen.  Sony is just saying that they're maintaining the status quo.  So really, nothing is changing.  And Gamers want it that way.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

ShadowFox89

Gamers want to not have to jump through the hopes to use WHAT THEY PAID FOR.

Imagine if you had to call the dealership every time you wanted to drive on the freeway.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Chris Brady

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on June 13, 2013, 07:06:55 PM
Gamers want to not have to jump through the hopes to use WHAT THEY PAID FOR.

Imagine if you had to call the dealership every time you wanted to drive on the freeway.
I didn't mean it was a bad thing.  It's not.  Dear Gottenheimer, it's not!  But the fact of the matter is exactly what you just said:  ownership laws as the stand.

Sony decided that there was no need to implement any DRM hardware side.  But if Ubisoft or Activision want to slam some onto their games, well that's their problem.  Just like it was this last generation.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Moraline

Quote from: Chris Brady on June 13, 2013, 07:13:41 PM
Sony decided that there was no need to implement any DRM hardware side.  But if Ubisoft or Activision want to slam some onto their games, well that's their problem.  Just like it was this last generation.
The issue here is that there is nothing to prevent the publishers from doing it. A console can easily say "no" we don't want DRM restricted games that require re-licensing. It's a back handed way of giving publishers free reign to restrict used game sales.

It maybe the same as it was all along but if MS does it to all their games on behalf of the publishers then the publishers will of course be inclined to do the same thing on other consoles. The end result is the same for both an Xbox and for a PS... You have to pay 2x every time you buy a used game. I don't care if it's hardware side or publisher side the net result is identical.

Right now publishers don't have as much incentive to do it because it's not a wide spread thing but once it's across the whole platform on Xbox then why not do it to all of their games across every platform?

The software publishers are forcing this on everyone and the console makers are allowing it to happen. Xbox is at least having the guts to tell you up front about it. Sony is just trying to make themselves not look like the bad guy, but they are just as guilty as MS for letting it happen.

It's a shell game, "Look how easy it is to share games on Sony." ...A couple days later, "Oops, we forgot to mention that you'll also have to pay this $___ fee on every used game.... It's not our fault though."

Chris Brady

Mora, this is nothing new.  It's just like it was during the PS3/Xbox 360 generation.  U-Play and the On-line Passes are what we can look forward to, except that EA has discontinued their Online Pass thing.

The key element is we, the consumer, retain our rights to play the game, whether or not we're connected to the internet.  That we're not being physically scanned and stored digitally to make sure we are one of the ten people allowed to play the game.

Thing is, Sony cannot dictate to the publishers what they want, because the publishers will simply go to other consoles to peddle their games.  So they have to compromise.  Hopefully, by now, most publishers will have realized that DRM will not stop piracy and theft.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Moraline on June 14, 2013, 08:02:55 AM
The issue here is that there is nothing to prevent the publishers from doing it. A console can easily say "no" we don't want DRM restricted games that require re-licensing. It's a back handed way of giving publishers free reign to restrict used game sales.

It maybe the same as it was all along but if MS does it to all their games on behalf of the publishers then the publishers will of course be inclined to do the same thing on other consoles. The end result is the same for both an Xbox and for a PS... You have to pay 2x every time you buy a used game. I don't care if it's hardware side or publisher side the net result is identical.

Right now publishers don't have as much incentive to do it because it's not a wide spread thing but once it's across the whole platform on Xbox then why not do it to all of their games across every platform?

The software publishers are forcing this on everyone and the console makers are allowing it to happen. Xbox is at least having the guts to tell you up front about it. Sony is just trying to make themselves not look like the bad guy, but they are just as guilty as MS for letting it happen.

It's a shell game, "Look how easy it is to share games on Sony." ...A couple days later, "Oops, we forgot to mention that you'll also have to pay this $___ fee on every used game.... It's not our fault though."

I think you're overreacting on this, Mora.  And we're not powerless here.  If we don't like it,we don't need to buy the games.  So we miss out on some exclusives, oh well.  But if it really bothers you, then talk with your wallet.

Maybe though, my perspective is kinda skewed.  I've been dealing with various form of DRM since about 99?  The various 25+ Character keys that we needed to put in for OS, the Shareware stuff, Steam/Origin/UPlay/Games For Windows Live Activations for computer based media.  I've been gaming since at least 1982, lived through the Crash of 84, saw the rise of Nintendo, the fall of Sega, the emergence of the Playstation and Xbox, and frankly this whole DRM thing, it's Microsoft that's being backwards and not listening to their fans about.

Here's the other thing as well, according to their stats tracking on XBLive, more people use their XBox 360 for other things than gaming.

But guess what they originally bought their Boxes for?  Gaming.

Microsoft has shown themselves to be out of touch with their primary install base, are bending over backwards for publishers and other services.

All Sony has to do is keep the status quo.  And they did.  It didn't hurt that they mentioned that the saw the twitter feeds/petition, giving people a sense that the public was listened to.

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

SinXAzgard21

Oreo

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,

SinXAzgard21

Oreo

SinXAzgard21

Moraline

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on June 15, 2013, 06:38:38 PM
While a 500-600 PC is nice, it won't run a lot of games optimally.
I notice that those prices were in British pounds as well, not American USD and they left out the extra $100 USD for the Operating system.

So it's really a 600-800 USD system.

Which is still a good price for the build but nothing ground breakingly surprising. If he really wanted a better system they'd have to spend another 200-300 dollars on upgrading the CPU (because it's not just a console OS it's a Windows OS that it'll need to run) and getting more hard drive space then the tiny 128 GB SSD drive that they selected.

So to get an actual system that will play the games with the same frame rates, same storage size, and overall performance as a console it'll cost closer to $800 USD.

SinXAzgard21

Still 800 isn't really in a lot of peoples price range.

Inkidu

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on June 15, 2013, 08:11:07 PM
Still 800 isn't really in a lot of peoples price range.
800 is also a lot to pay for a console-quality PC. :P

There is an advantage consoles have over PCs. Consoles always sell at a loss for the company and are recouped through long life-cycles and game sales. :|
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Inkidu on June 15, 2013, 08:34:52 PM
800 is also a lot to pay for a console-quality PC. :P

There is an advantage consoles have over PCs. Consoles always sell at a loss for the company and are recouped through long life-cycles and game sales. :|

My next pc is around 1200 USD and will run better than a console...  But I'm still buying consoles for exclusives.

ShadowFox89

I'm sticking with my laptop until it breaks....
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Sabby

SinXAzgard21

ShadowFox89

Yup. Lenovo Y570, does fairly well. The only problem is heating, but I solve that with a cooling fan.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on June 15, 2013, 09:35:09 PM
Yup. Lenovo Y570, does fairly well. The only problem is heating, but I solve that with a cooling fan.

What games and frame rate?