Join the KWHY News Team Today! (Still Recruiting for staff positions)

Started by Blinkin, January 12, 2014, 11:32:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blinkin

We are still looking for characters to be camera crew, staff and an anchor for the news team. Come and join what promises to be a fun and light hearted game today!

In fond memory of all of the great sit-coms and off-the-wall news shows/movies like WKRP in Cincinnati, Spin City, Murphy Brown, Mary Tyler Moore
and The Anchorman movies, I give you...

KWHY News! Is under new management and has a totally new News Crew for their morning r with (Insert character’s names here)!

Located in lovely Duluth, MN, KWHY, channel 7 is proud to bring you all of the finest in popular programming and an award winning news team... or they used to...

Last month, Media mogul Steven Bobbs purchased the struggling KWHY station and set about upgrading, modernizing and trimming the network down and making it profitable. In the process, the contracts of the news department were up for renewal. Mr. Bobbs refused the demand for more money and the entire department walked off the set… With the station’s biggest draw gone, something had to be done… fast! With only the News Crew’s assistant Director remaining, now the head of the department’s Marja JoHannsen left, a casting call went out to fill the holes in the cast… but what can you really expect on short notice and limited income offerings? It’s not going to be the top tier talent in the market. Enter the characters!

What I'm looking for is a group of quirky, off-beat, even odd-ball characters to fill the ranks of the News department, run by my character, Ms. Johannsen (Rumors are that she slept with Bobbs to keep her job) and have some fun between the latest news reports and the hyjinks behind the camera. Positions that may be available may be, but not limited to:

Head Anchor
Co-Anchor
Chief Meteorologist
Sports
Traffic
Roaming Reporter(s)
Support Cast such as camera persons, sound techs, and make-up and so on.

What I have in mind is a cast of characters who may look at this as their big chance to get into TV, move out of print or radio and into prime time, people who, for one reason or another, just haven't gotten that break... and characters who will be fun to play.

Some examples of what I mean may be…

A weather-person obsessed with the weather in Florida in the winter and Alaska in the summer who constantly sprinkles in items about those locations. “Well, it’s going to be a balmy 75 degrees today… in Tampa, but it’s a chilly, wet and miserable -10 here in the great white tundra folks!”

The sports reporter who idolizes Howard Cosell to the point of mimicking his topay and speech patterns

A camera man who keeps loosing focus on the roaming reporter and follows cute women passing by or the reporter’s boobs.

A co-anchor who’s sole concern is getting into every woman’s panties so he can try them on.

In short, characters who are a little kooky, a little unorthodox and a lot of fun to play. If there is enough interest, I’ll turn this into a recruitment thread. Any questions are happily accepted and answered. On a side note, the characters will have to occasionally make up news reports for the show, but it’s more about what happens behind the cameras.
In fond memory of all of the great sit-coms and off-the-wall news shows/movies like WKRP in Cincinnati, Spin City, Murphy Brown, Mary Tyler Moore
and The Anchorman movies, I give you...

KWHY News! Is under new management and has a totally new News Crew for their morning r with (Insert character’s names here)!

Located in lovely Duluth, MN, KWHY, channel 7 is proud to bring you all of the finest in popular programming and an award winning news team... or they used to...

Last month, Media mogul Steven Bobbs purchased the struggling KWHY station and set about upgrading, modernizing and trimming the network down and making it profitable. In the process, the contracts of the news department were up for renewal. Mr. Bobbs refused the demand for more money and the entire department walked off the set… With the station’s biggest draw gone, something had to be done… fast! With only the News Crew’s assistant Director remaining, now the head of the department’s Marja JoHannsen left, a casting call went out to fill the holes in the cast… but what can you really expect on short notice and limited income offerings? It’s not going to be the top tier talent in the market. Enter the characters!

What I'm looking for is a group of quirky, off-beat, even odd-ball characters to fill the ranks of the News department, run by my character, Ms. Johannsen (Rumors are that she slept with Bobbs to keep her job) and have some fun between the latest news reports and the hyjinks behind the camera. Positions that may be available may be, but not limited to:

Head Anchor
Co-Anchor
Chief Meteorologist
Sports
Traffic
Roaming Reporter(s)
Support Cast such as camera persons, sound techs, and make-up and so on.

What I have in mind is a cast of characters who may look at this as their big chance to get into TV, move out of print or radio and into prime time, people who, for one reason or another, just haven't gotten that break... and characters who will be fun to play.

Some examples of what I mean may be…

A weather-person obsessed with the weather in Florida in the winter and Alaska in the summer who constantly sprinkles in items about those locations. “Well, it’s going to be a balmy 75 degrees today… in Tampa, but it’s a chilly, wet and miserable -10 here in the great white tundra folks!”

The sports reporter who idolizes Howard Cosell to the point of mimicking his topay and speech patterns

A camera man who keeps loosing focus on the roaming reporter and follows cute women passing by or the reporter’s boobs.

A co-anchor who’s sole concern is getting into every woman’s panties so he can try them on.

In short, characters who are a little kooky, a little unorthodox and a lot of fun to play. If there is enough interest, I’ll turn this into a recruitment thread. Any questions are happily accepted and answered. On a side note, the characters will have to occasionally make up news reports for the show, but it’s more about what happens behind the cameras.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

eiselmann

Would be interested in this idea...would love to play the role of the sports reporter...but I see him differently, he's English and has decided to only report on 'proper' sports , so no Grid Iron or rounders (which you Americans call baseball) and if one must report the Basketball and Ice Hockey there are perfectly good European leagues to report on.....suffice it to say his reports will be full of Football (soccer) and cricket , with some Rugby Union and Rugby League thrown in for good measure.
260916 Sigh, on the back end of my laptop dying last week and getting a new one delivered, we now have had some local flooding where I live....fortunately for me no major damage since my house is a few feet above ground, however my back yard looks like the swimming pool I don't have ...so might take a day or two to get back to posting

The Betrayal at Yalta, one of the main reasons the world is the mess it is today

My ons and offs link

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=254364.0

Kerri

I might be able to play a somewhat ditsy meteorologist, I'm thinking she'll turn every weather report into a what's hot, what's not fashion segment, or perhaps go on and on about the great sales she found on her clothing.

A/a’s updated 10/2/16
All images in signature created by the truly talented and sweet Amelita

Blinkin

As I said, this is just an interest check at the moment. Although I could see that Marja is going to have fun with these two. lol
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Yukina

How does a clothing and make-up person that makes occasional bizarre choices such as bushy eyebrows, clown make-up, and costumes that don't fit for news reporters sound?

kckolbe

No ideas, but this is easily the coolest idea I've never seen done here.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Blinkin

The make-up artist would probably get kicked through the wall the first time an anchor looked at themself in the mirror before airetime. *chuckles*

The sports and weather could be "nudged" to talk about their subjects on a local scale... the make-up artist would have to survive the people looking at their faces in the mirror... Although aside from that, it's interesting for behind the scenes.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Yukina

*nods* Maybe they only allow her to stay pain free because she is the only one they can afford and (and the first boardcast) is the only one willing to join.

kckolbe

Considering a camera-shy man who still dreams of being an anchorman.  Perhaps he gets hired for being one of the few interested in researching stories?  Might work better as a traffic guy.
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

Kerri

Quote from: Yugishogun on January 14, 2014, 07:03:57 AM
How does a clothing and make-up person that makes occasional bizarre choices such as bushy eyebrows, clown make-up, and costumes that don't fit for news reporters sound?
Quote from: Blinkin on January 14, 2014, 10:31:50 AM
The make-up artist would probably get kicked through the wall the first time an anchor looked at themself in the mirror before airetime. *chuckles*

The sports and weather could be "nudged" to talk about their subjects on a local scale... the make-up artist would have to survive the people looking at their faces in the mirror... Although aside from that, it's interesting for behind the scenes.

I can see the meteorologist finding time to try to sneak away before showtime trying to fix the issues, resulting in even more disarrayed appearances. Blouses buttoned wrong, skirts not laying correctly. She definitely would have to be forced into the makeup chair.

A/a’s updated 10/2/16
All images in signature created by the truly talented and sweet Amelita

Kunoichi

Hmm...  Any room for a roaming reporter who has strong exhibitionist tendencies and has convinced the station manager to allow her to do her reports in various skimpy costumes as a gimmick to grab ratings?

Blinkin

A camera shy anchor/co-anchor or traffic reporter... sounds interesting

A roaming reporter who likes to show off skin... really interesting... lol

I'm not against the make-up woman idea, I don't see her picking out outfits for this one, but I'm sure that the crew might not be happy with her overly much. But, if you want to do it.

This lot, so far, will drive poor Marja JoHannsen to drink. lol
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Yukina

At least I know of one staff member who might not mind a costume; the exhibitionist reporter. Nonetheless, I can limit the outfit part to her if you'd like.

Irishfire87

I would love to play the role of an ADD roaming reporter.  Someone who's 'on the scene' and then sees something that makes her start to go completely off track.

kckolbe

LOL Irishfire.  "Hi, I'm here at the scene of a tragic school shooting where a squirrel has crossed the road twice!  He does it for no reason!"

Intro Thread

Blinkin

Could you give me an idea of what kinda thing might prompt them to call in with a story to be run live? Asides from a squirrel running half of the way acrss the street and changes his mind? lol
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Irishfire87

It would start with something serious like a shooting, a hurricane coming (Like when you see them in a raincoat in some random town before a hurricane hits), protests or something else that is serious.  Then she would get distracted by random things mid-broadcast and completely go off topic based on her surroundings.

Robelwell202

Call this guy interested.   Either an Ex-Marine Anchor that taints all his reporting with either (faulty) historical reference, or some off-the-wall tactical comparison...   Oooooor, a similarly-minded political commentator?

I gotta bookmark this.  This looks amazingly awesome.
Mal:  "Define 'interesting'."
Wash:  "Oh God, Oh God, we're all going to die?"

O/O
A/A
Ideas

Thrasius

I'm interested as well. Would there be a need for a security officer/guard? I was thinking about an overly paranoid or suspicious guard who is easily startled. On top of that, he takes his job very seriously and will often put himself in harms way to save the people he is 'sworn to protect'. He makes up his own ridiculous laws, is extremely gullible, goes out of his way to announce his achievements, no matter how small they may be, and other little things like singing his own theme music when he is on a mission.

yesiroleplay

Quote from: Thrasius on January 15, 2014, 06:23:09 PM
I'm interested as well. Would there be a need for a security officer/guard? I was thinking about an overly paranoid or suspicious guard who is easily startled. On top of that, he takes his job very seriously and will often put himself in harms way to save the people he is 'sworn to protect'. He makes up his own ridiculous laws, is extremely gullible, goes out of his way to announce his achievements, no matter how small they may be, and other little things like singing his own theme music when he is on a mission.
Is his last name "Fife"?

Blinkin

All ofthese sound interesting, but I don't think that a secuirty guard would be needed.  Camera men are sorely needed though.;)

Wardrobe: Because of budget cutbacks, the department will have to provide their own from their own property. Make-up is also budgeted down, but is done each morning, afternoon, and just before showtimes for touch-up/s and comercials. Mr. Bobbs feels that the money is better used on income producing items like his pet project of a locally made for TV series called, "Duluth Nights.", which is filmed in the middle of winter and seems to deal mostly with either skimpy clothing indoors or bundled up people outdoors. He expects a big draw... which speaks of his own issues.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

kckolbe

Cameraman is definitely needed, especially if said cameraman had permission to film for other projects, like "behind the scenes." 

Intro Thread

yesiroleplay

KWHY Jelly:  Preserving Our Cultural Heritage

A weekday morning cooking and home-craft program starring an overly perky, and overly busty young woman with more enthusiasm than cooking or crafting skill.

Kunoichi

Well, it looks like the new station manager is going to be trying to use sex appeal to grab a bigger share of the ratings. :P

By the way, would the station have any interns working behind the scenes?  I've got a bit of an idea for a set of triplets who are all going for the same degree, though it could use some development.

Kimera

Sounds interesting

A young camera girl that loves following all the hot ladies around, even to places men are not normally allowed. Agile, swift and a bit of parcour to always get the best angle on things ^^