News:

Main Menu

Super Spores!

Started by Spookie Monster, October 21, 2008, 05:57:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spookie Monster

A new paper from Nik Money's lab at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio, in collaboration with Diana Davis and Mark Fischer at the College of Mount St. Joseph in Cincinnati, solves the operation of squirt guns that fire spores over distances of more than 2 meters.

The researchers used high speed cameras running at up to 250,000 frames per second to capture these blisteringly fast movements.  Spores are launched at maximum speeds of 25 meters per second -- impressive for a microscopic cell -- corresponding to accelerations of 180,000 g.  In terms of acceleration, these are the fastest flights in nature.

25 meters per second?  180,000 g?  Wow.  Read more here:

Fastest Flights In Nature: High-speed Spore Discharge Mechanisms Among Fungi

Enjoy!

Spel
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs
~ R.I.P., Cam ~ ~ R.I.P., Judi ~ ~ R.I.P., Steph ~

Will

That is frackin' amazing. :o  Thanks for the article!
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Storiwyr

Spel, you're my hero. What sources do you use to find this stuff?
Lords, get to know me before you snuggle all over me. Sorry, but I get a little anxious! Ladies and Lieges, cuddles are always welcome, read my O/O for more detailed info.
"There's no need to argue anymore. I gave all I could, but it left me so sore. And the thing that makes me mad, is the one thing that I had. I knew, I knew, I'd lose you."

Spookie Monster

Thanks much, Will1984!  I'm glad that you liked it. :)

Thank you, too, Storiwyr, for your generous words.  For better or for worse, I, like most heroes, am revealed to be rather an average fellow when one removes my mask and my cape (and, hopefully, my tights).  Perhaps three-quarters of the threads that I've started here in Elliquiy U revolve around articles that one can effortlessly find through Science Daily, Space.com, and Wired News.  I encourage you to check out those sites -- I suspect that you'll enjoy them! :)

Spel
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs
~ R.I.P., Cam ~ ~ R.I.P., Judi ~ ~ R.I.P., Steph ~

Paradox

The article is interesting, but Miami in Oxford in Ohio? That's one hell of a combination.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Oniya

Actually, it's Miami University, in the city of Oxford, Ohio.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Paradox

I know, Oniya; still, the combination made me chuckle.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker